Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 2, 2017 2:42 AM
Aug 2017
I'm watching Ore Monogatari at the moment, and (minor spoilers)

There have been multiple cases like this. Why does it matter? I mean,

So, yeah, how do you feel empathy? If it's not detrimental to you, I just don't get it.

While I was in a really bad place, mentally, I attempted suicide twice. Two of my siblings became extremely upset, as did my parents. If anything, it would reduce the burden on them (though I am paying rent while I live with my parents, due to proximity to the college).

Does "wanting" to feel empathy count? I can't help but think it might be nice to feel that way about someone.

What are your thoughts, everyone? Is it just a pain, or is it worthwhile?
Oct 2, 2017 2:58 AM

Apr 2017
"if its not detrimental to you i just dont get it"

well i believe the best way to understand it is to truly put yourself in their mind as much as possible and try to understand it, and it will be hidden there.
is it worthwhile? yes
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Oct 2, 2017 3:02 AM

Jan 2009
Empathic Intelligence: To put yourself in their shoes, unlace yours
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ambigamy/200905/empathic-intelligence-put-yourself-in-their-shoes-unlace-yours

btw i think you are the same user that made that thread about why life of others are not important or something like that right? if so it makes sense why you made that thread now, psychological egoism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_egoism
Oct 2, 2017 3:35 AM
Aug 2017
Ikaros_42oh said:
well i believe the best way to understand it is to truly put yourself in their mind as much as possible and try to understand it, and it will be hidden there.
is it worthwhile? yes

So, would that mean that in order to empathize with Suna,

What makes it worthwhile?

isekai said:
Empathic Intelligence: To put yourself in their shoes, unlace yours
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ambigamy/200905/empathic-intelligence-put-yourself-in-their-shoes-unlace-yours

btw i think you are the same user that made that thread about why life of others are not important or something like that right? if so it makes sense why you made that thread now, psychological egoism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_egoism

Thanks for taking the time to find those for me.

Regarding the first, refer to what I said above: in order to empathize with someone's suffering about a loved one, I should instead empathize with the loved one?

I did make a thread discussing life's lack of fundamental value. I didn't mean that others' lives are not important; rather, if they do not benefit you, directly or indirectly, then they may be considered, by you, unimportant. Naturally, this means the importance will vary from person to person.

It seems to me that psychological egoism is the truth of the matter. The arguments against it simply don't hold water, all things considered; I would argue that even in today's society, where life is regarded as having inherent value, that is only because we are brought up with the expectation that any and all life could be of indirect benefit to us, as unreasonable as that may be—though in the end, that is an irrational view, so it is unfortunate that it is viewed that way.
Oct 2, 2017 3:41 AM

Sep 2009
It's a neurological thing. If you don't have it, then that's that.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 2, 2017 3:48 AM

May 2012

Empathy is overrated.

character count

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Oct 2, 2017 3:54 AM
Aug 2017
MortalMelancholy said:

But it's possible to modify neural pathways via medication or training.

---

Well, continuing to watch, I find that, as per usual, crying is contagious (as long as it seems genuine; Yamato's feels fake). Is that empathy?

-BestGirl said:

Empathy is overrated.

Why is that?
Oct 2, 2017 4:13 AM

May 2010
Empathy is more of a personal thing. In order to understand him you need to be more in tune with yourself. Empathy isn't about feeling sorry for people. It's not about caring for people. When you're watching Rinko divulge her feelings, that she wants to be in further in love, do you feel any different, that you want to be in love too? Congratulations. That's empathy.

Although it's all fictional. In real life we can't cut through all the filler to get to the juicy stuff. Real people don't go around throwing their feelings out there for you to pick up on. If you've ever been in the middle of an argument and someone is making a case for why someone shouldn't do something because it'd hurt their feelings. It doesn't personally effect you and it's not exactly against your morals, but you understand the person and feel that if you were in their shoes you might feel the same way.

The point is that the character is just another person, just like you, and once you come to understand yourself then you can come to understand them.
Oct 2, 2017 4:14 AM

May 2012
AssortedEmotions said:

-BestGirl said:

Empathy is overrated.

Why is that?

It's pretty much mirror behavior. If you're smart you can still have some compassion without feeling empathy.

Meh, I'm too lazy to explain but you can watch this if you're interested, it's not long:

http://bigthink.com/videos/paul-bloom-explains-why-empathy-is-bad

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Oct 2, 2017 4:28 AM
Aug 2017
-BestGirl said:
AssortedEmotions said:

Why is that?

It's pretty much mirror behavior. If you're smart you can still have some compassion without feeling empathy.

Meh, I'm too lazy to explain but you can watch this if you're interested, it's not long:

I find compassion to be exhausting, boring, and annoying rather than exhilarating.

Thrashinuva said:
When you're watching Rinko divulge her feelings, that she wants to be in further in love, do you feel any different, that you want to be in love too?

Not really, honestly. I don't particularly like the anime. She's pretty annoying, actually.

If you've ever been in the middle of an argument and someone is making a case for why someone shouldn't do something because it'd hurt their feelings. It doesn't personally effect you and it's not exactly against your morals, but you understand the person and feel that if you were in their shoes you might feel the same way.

Can't say I've felt this way. If it's not against my morals, I see it as irrational and annoying.

The point is that the character is just another person, just like you, and once you come to understand yourself then you can come to understand them.

I'd like to think I understand myself well, given what I've been through. I've accepted and understand all sorts of ridiculous things about myself, and I keep a constant watch over my thoughts and senses to make sure I don't become delusional again. Maybe the distance from my messed up mind and their comparatively healthy ones is what keeps me from empathy.
Oct 2, 2017 4:38 AM

Jul 2017
Why would you want to feel empathy in the first place?
Oct 2, 2017 4:40 AM
Aug 2017
MangoYuri said:
Why would you want to feel empathy in the first place?

I'm a curious person. I want to know what it's like. I might've felt it before, but I'm not sure; it was a long time ago.
Oct 2, 2017 4:41 AM

May 2010
AssortedEmotions said:
Maybe the distance from my messed up mind and their comparatively healthy ones is what keeps me from empathy.
Nah dude. You're just too edgy. You probably dislike people in general and so you want to separate yourselves from them. Empathy is a way to connect to others, and so you're subconsciously overlooking all of the instances that you've ever demonstrated it. Unless you grew up in isolation the chance is extremely high that you have multiple instances of where you felt empathy towards someone.

I imagine you've watched more than Ore Monogatari. Do you like any main character, of anything, ever? Ask yourself why that is.
Oct 2, 2017 4:43 AM

Sep 2009
AssortedEmotions said:
MortalMelancholy said:

---

Well, continuing to watch, I find that, as per usual, crying is contagious (as long as it seems genuine; Yamato's feels fake). Is that empathy?

It's not empathy unless you understand why they feel that way, and are able to experience the same event vicariously, and feel the same emotion.
And it's possible to a certain extent. If you can throw out your own logic and mindset, and learn and apply the rules of emotional association other people use to yourself, you might be able to gain empathy. No guarantees.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 2, 2017 4:44 AM

Apr 2017
Empathy is a skill as much as it is a character trait. While some people are raised with the ability to develop a simple sense of sympathy into something much more, it takes other people some practice. I was raised with empathy, but it was always a little different to the norm. I tended to feel for people for nobody else would feel for, probably stemmed from a few things I can think of. It took me a while to teach myself to feel fairly for everyone.

The first step to learning how to feel for others is to find someone who can explain to you their thought process, the way they feel, why they feel it, what made them feel it. More importantly, it requires some self-awareness. Most "sociopaths" feel like anyone else, they just refuse to admit that they do. If you attribute your suffering to someone else's you can easily put yourself in their shoes. It's a lot easier than it sounds.

make yourself comfortable, i'll be done in just a few decades
Oct 2, 2017 4:54 AM

Jun 2008
Sociopaths lack empathy...so think about that.

Oct 2, 2017 5:00 AM
Aug 2017
Thrashinuva said:
AssortedEmotions said:
Maybe the distance from my messed up mind and their comparatively healthy ones is what keeps me from empathy.
Nah dude. You're just too edgy. You probably dislike people in general and so you want to separate yourselves from them.

How would you go about fixing that? It's not like I can just like someone for no reason.

Empathy is a way to connect to others, and so you're subconsciously overlooking all of the instances that you've ever demonstrated it.

Possibly. I sort of enjoy other people's company at times, though it's tiring. I can't really recall a time when I was genuinely sad for another person, though.

Unless you grew up in isolation the chance is extremely high that you have multiple instances of where you felt empathy towards someone.

Well, close enough, maybe. Pretty much just family.

I imagine you've watched more than Ore Monogatari. Do you like any main character, of anything, ever? Ask yourself why that is.

I liked the MC from Elemental Gelade, I guess because it seemed like almost nothing sexual went through his mind. The platonic relationship (until the end, ugh) was really refreshing. Same for the MC of Log Horizon (and the assassin).

Rem from Re:Zero was enjoyable for her quirks. Her innocence in a very not-at-all-innocent way was interesting.

A lot of characters from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun were good for their innocence too.

I liked the fact that the MC from Charlotte was willing to go through hell and back with no guarantee of a reward. His being the complete opposite of me was a strange experience.

The MCs of No Game No Life were inspiring—excelling is sometimes easy, but being the best is difficult, and finding the motivation is important. They had the talent and the motivation to become the best.

That's probably about it as far as characters I really liked.
Oct 2, 2017 5:03 AM
Aug 2017
--ALEX-- said:
Sociopaths lack empathy...so think about that.

Is sociopathy a bad thing?

MortalMelancholy said:
AssortedEmotions said:

---

It's not empathy unless you understand why they feel that way, and are able to experience the same event vicariously, and feel the same emotion.
And it's possible to a certain extent. If you can throw out your own logic and mindset, and learn and apply the rules of emotional association other people use to yourself, you might be able to gain empathy. No guarantees.

That sounds interesting, but I don't really want to work that hard. I guess it's not easy, huh?

Wishly said:
The first step to learning how to feel for others is to find someone who can explain to you their thought process, the way they feel, why they feel it, what made them feel it. More importantly, it requires some self-awareness. Most "sociopaths" feel like anyone else, they just refuse to admit that they do. If you attribute your suffering to someone else's you can easily put yourself in their shoes. It's a lot easier than it sounds.

Maybe that's what I'm lacking, someone to explain their feelings to me logically.
Oct 2, 2017 5:31 AM

May 2012
AssortedEmotions said:
-BestGirl said:

I find compassion to be exhausting, boring, and annoying rather than exhilarating.

Well, then good luck with your empathetic journey. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But if your goal is only to experiment some emotions, it would serve you better to create them from experiences instead of trying to mirror others.

After you have enough emotional experience you'll probably be able to identify the same pattern in other people, and then trigger the same emotion in yourself.

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Oct 2, 2017 5:34 AM
Aug 2017
@-BestGirl
That might be a good idea. I used to write as a hobby, so I might try to get back into it to bring back those emotions.
Oct 2, 2017 6:15 AM

Aug 2017
"Why does he cares?”
He's his family, family share bonds and empathy towards each other. It's human nature, but lack of it doesn't necessarily you aren't human or doesn't share any family relation. Well.. it's not limited to human, most animal have empathy too.

"he'd still be supported monetarily, so it's not like it'd inconvenience him that much."
In context, he doesn't need him for that kind of support (forgot the word) but more about emotional support. No father mean he lost something; family, expectation, reward, idol, or anything that role father can have and provide, logically speaking.

Same as your family, they don't want you gone not because they want a burden, but they don't want to lose you as their family who shared bond and emphaty. They sad because you're irreplaceable as a family. For them, you're you who they love, not a person to have benefits with.

"Does 'wanting' to feel empathy count?"
Depends. It maybe just your curiosity, but I think from that it can develop to a genuine feel.

It sure nice, if it always nice. But Empathy is about sharing feeling. From happiness, hope to sadness and despair. Though, you won't always have emphaty for every people, feel or situation.

It can be destructive too to ourselves if we're putting more feeling towards people rather than ourselves. Being selfless is a pain.

"What are your thoughts, everyone? Is it just a pain, or is it worthwhile?"

If you want to know, I'm suffering now because of emphaty. Hurt myself because I don't count the consequences and just go for it, for the sake of people. Sure, it's a pain, but if I do it and meet their expectation, it sure more worth than the pain I have now.

That's my opinion. I'm no expert but "I hope that can help you."
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Oct 2, 2017 6:36 AM

Sep 2017
Empathy unfortunately is needed sometimes to function as a human being. You don't need to be a saint. Just care about people who deserves your concern. Being edgy is okay. We all have different personalities anyways. Lol
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 2, 2017 9:56 AM

May 2010
AssortedEmotions said:
How would you go about fixing that?
No need. You're an introvert. Just be yourself, but also recognize yourself.

excelling is sometimes easy, but being the best is difficult
The other examples you listed were telling, and they were examples of some empathy being used, but this was the most clear of them all.

You have never been the best at anything. None of us have. Maybe you've been the best at something from a select few people, maybe even in a room or even in your school, but not over the whole world.

Yet you understood how those two felt, didn't you? Maybe part of your life helped you understand, but it doesn't take someone with previous experience to understand how those characters felt. You have clearly demonstrated that you are capable of empathy, and that you use it like normal humans do.

The only thing left for you to do is recognize yourself for what you really are. It's normal especially for people who are still growing up to have a distorted mentality about themselves, but it's not exclusive to younger people. No matter your age, you clearly misunderstand yourself. You don't necessarily need to change anything about yourself to better fit into society or anything, but you will absolutely benefit from a bit of introspection.
Oct 2, 2017 10:00 AM

Sep 2016
Idk about this ore monogatari show but if the characters don't care you won't either. No need to link what could or could not be cheap writing from dozens of shows and games etc to a disease. The posts above are just cancer
FondenteOct 2, 2017 10:09 AM
Oct 2, 2017 10:28 AM

Feb 2015
Just by being here on MAL, to the point of people don't know if you exist on the real life, but users know that you exist solely on the internet when a shitposting threads is made.
Oct 2, 2017 10:43 AM

Aug 2013
I think it's the most worthwhile thing in the world. Unfortunately, studies show that people born without a capacity for empathy cannot really do anything about it.

Imagine it like this. You live inside a fountain of shared emotion. Love, happiness, sadness, frustration, anxiety, resolve; you share this empathic world with those around you and those further out. Like a learning curve that eclipses all that could be classified as a learning curve, you strive forward becoming a more sociable, mature, moral and happy person - all with the empathy you share with other people.

It's wonderful.
Oct 3, 2017 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
You download it from www.getempathy.com

EDIT: Wait that's an actual domain you can buy
Oct 3, 2017 1:20 PM

Dec 2015
I killed a guy and stole his empathy.
Oct 3, 2017 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
Rarusu_ said:
I think your capacity for empathy is somehow determined when you are born. Some people just aren't very empathatic, and can never reallt be, while others have more potential.
I gained more empathy as I became more insightful, ...

This. And your first two to maybe four years and that's it. I don't believe that you can "learn empathy" as an adult. You can learn the logical side behind one's feelings, if that makes it better(?), but you can't really learn how to feel in a certain way.

Anyway, I think it's easier sometimes to have a lack of empathy, but I can't get rid of it.
Maybe it takes me too much to be GENUINELY upset about someone, because I try to understand their point.
Oct 3, 2017 7:56 PM

Nov 2016
I also often didn't feel empathy very well and I had a numbness to myself and had those moments where maybe I was telling a girl I loved her and it felt hollow and I felt like I was this empty doll or some kind of an imposter.

I often found that those feelings of lack of empathy related to depression? Im thinking if your not feeling empathy your not in a good place at the moment and need to resolve your inner self? Go rewatch the first anime that made your cry then be honest with yourself.
“we all live with the objective of being happy, our lives are all different and yet the same.”
Oct 3, 2017 8:28 PM
Aug 2017
@Tythoid
I mentioned above that I find crying to be contagious, in a way. The only anime I think I've cried to have been the ones where characters were crying. I only cry to songs when it strikes a chord in me; I don't think about the singer or others.

Also, while I haven't been in a great place lately, it's been very unstable, and even during the times where I'm smiling just because I can, I don't feel anything for anyone else. I've been told that about depression before, though.

@shotz
Those are some ridiculous assumptions you've got going there. I'll address them, since they annoy me.

1. Anything to do with the human brain, which is the source of empathy and everything else which we are mentally, can be artificially changed, most often through training or medication. Whether a psychopath would want to change is up for debate, but it's not like it would be impossible.

2. Not all psychopaths are violent, or killers. Just because you don't care about someone else's livelihood or emotions doesn't mean you're going to kill them—in most societies, such actions are frowned upon and bring serious consequences upon discovery; the psychopath, being selfish, wouldn't kill someone without a damn good reason, one that outweighs the potential consequences.

3. You assume that everyone agrees on who are "bad people". Morality is subjective; there is no single answer. You also never mentioned how "bad" a person should be before getting killed by aforementioned psychopath. Should "us" "psychopaths" kill every person we see shoplifting a candy bar?

Probably put a little more thought into your posts.
Oct 3, 2017 8:33 PM

Apr 2012
how do you get empathy?

don't be autistic
simple

Oct 3, 2017 8:35 PM

Jan 2009
@AssortedEmotions

are you talking about the brain plasticity stuff? yes the brain can change like repair itself but there is a limitation to that according to this

Every time we learn a new skill, pick up a new habit, or go through an emotional experience, our brain takes note and its circuits undergo change. But the brain's much-heralded "plasticity" is just part of the story: if everything changed all the time, how could we maintain the memories, skills, and knowledge that make us who we are? Plasticity only has value against a predictable, stable background, and factors that threaten this stability—from genetic mutations present at birth, to life experiences such as trauma, drug abuse, and aging—have the potential to trigger brain disorders, the researchers said.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-09-range-diseases-result-brain-self-regulation.html
Oct 3, 2017 8:43 PM

Dec 2016
isekai said:
@AssortedEmotions

are you talking about the brain plasticity stuff? yes the brain can change like repair itself but there is a limitation to that according to this

Every time we learn a new skill, pick up a new habit, or go through an emotional experience, our brain takes note and its circuits undergo change. But the brain's much-heralded "plasticity" is just part of the story: if everything changed all the time, how could we maintain the memories, skills, and knowledge that make us who we are? Plasticity only has value against a predictable, stable background, and factors that threaten this stability—from genetic mutations present at birth, to life experiences such as trauma, drug abuse, and aging—have the potential to trigger brain disorders, the researchers said.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-09-range-diseases-result-brain-self-regulation.html

Awww. We would hate to put people out of business!

Targeted Neuroplasticity Training (TNT) seeks to advance the pace and effectiveness of a specific kind of learning—cognitive skills training—through the precise activation of peripheral nerves that can in turn promote and strengthen neuronal connections in the brain. TNT will pursue development of a platform technology to enhance learning of a wide range of cognitive skills, with a goal of reducing the cost and duration of the Defense Department’s extensive training regimen, while improving outcomes. If successful, TNT could accelerate learning and reduce the time needed to train foreign language specialists, intelligence analysts, cryptographers, and others.

The TNT program seeks to use peripheral nerve stimulation to speed up learning processes in the brain by boosting release of brain chemicals, such as acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. These so-called neuromodulators play a role in regulating synaptic plasticity, the process by which connections between neurons change to improve brain function during learning. By combining peripheral neurostimulation with conventional training practices, the TNT program seeks to leverage endogenous neural circuitry to enhance learning by facilitating tuning of neural networks responsible for cognitive functions.

DARPA is taking a layered approach to exploring this new terrain. Fundamental research will focus on gaining a clearer and more complete understanding of how nerve stimulation influences synaptic plasticity, how cognitive skill learning processes are regulated in the brain, and how to boost these processes to safely accelerate skill acquisition while avoiding potential side effects. The engineering side of the program will concentrate on developing non-invasive methods to deliver peripheral nerve stimulation that enhances plasticity in brain regions responsible for cognitive functions. The goal is to optimize training and stimulation protocols that expedite the rate of learning and maximize long-term retention of cognitive skills.

https://www.darpa.mil/program/targeted-neuroplasticity-training

TNT is part of a broader portfolio of programs within DARPA that support the White House BRAIN initiative.

Oh shit son! NO YOU DIDN'T!

SoverignOct 3, 2017 8:55 PM
Oct 3, 2017 8:55 PM

Jan 2009
Soverign said:
isekai said:
@AssortedEmotions

Targeted Neuroplasticity Training (TNT) seeks to advance the pace and effectiveness of a specific kind of learning—cognitive skills training—through the precise activation of peripheral nerves that can in turn promote and strengthen neuronal connections in the brain. TNT will pursue development of a platform technology to enhance learning of a wide range of cognitive skills, with a goal of reducing the cost and duration of the Defense Department’s extensive training regimen, while improving outcomes. If successful, TNT could accelerate learning and reduce the time needed to train foreign language specialists, intelligence analysts, cryptographers, and others.

The TNT program seeks to use peripheral nerve stimulation to speed up learning processes in the brain by boosting release of brain chemicals, such as acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. These so-called neuromodulators play a role in regulating synaptic plasticity, the process by which connections between neurons change to improve brain function during learning. By combining peripheral neurostimulation with conventional training practices, the TNT program seeks to leverage endogenous neural circuitry to enhance learning by facilitating tuning of neural networks responsible for cognitive functions.

DARPA is taking a layered approach to exploring this new terrain. Fundamental research will focus on gaining a clearer and more complete understanding of how nerve stimulation influences synaptic plasticity, how cognitive skill learning processes are regulated in the brain, and how to boost these processes to safely accelerate skill acquisition while avoiding potential side effects. The engineering side of the program will concentrate on developing non-invasive methods to deliver peripheral nerve stimulation that enhances plasticity in brain regions responsible for cognitive functions. The goal is to optimize training and stimulation protocols that expedite the rate of learning and maximize long-term retention of cognitive skills.

lol maybe its possible to speed up learning by speeding up brain plasticity only if the soldiers/people undergoing that are healthy people to begin with

brain plasticity only have limitations when there is genetic mutations for example like that new research claim
Oct 3, 2017 8:59 PM

Dec 2016
isekai said:
Soverign said:

lol maybe its possible to speed up learning by speeding up brain plasticity only if the soldiers/people undergoing that are healthy people to begin with

brain plasticity only have limitations when there is genetic mutations for example like that new research claim

Darn. I guess we better stop working on that targeted gene therapy then.

http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/v2/n10/full/nmat974.html?foxtrotcallback=true

Oct 3, 2017 9:01 PM

Aug 2016
Is it a crime to feel worried over your own father? God forbid one of you people need compassion some day. Geez.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 3, 2017 9:03 PM

Jan 2009
Soverign said:
isekai said:

Darn. I guess we better stop working on that targeted gene therapy then.

http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/v2/n10/full/nmat974.html?foxtrotcallback=true

they should continue that since gene therapy is the answer to a lot of diseases
Oct 4, 2017 12:44 AM

Mar 2008
Sounds like blocked emotions from depression or certain aspects of empathy being wash from autism. Also what people said about sociopaths isn't right for a lot of it. Sociopaths feel empathy if they want but their default is having it inhibited.

There is a type of meditation called compassion meditation which if I recall right is also called metta meditation. It's a meditation Tibetan monks do to build caring for others.
Oct 4, 2017 12:55 PM

Mar 2016
Empathy is more "understanding," while sympathy is more "caring."
I can't help anyone to care, because I sure as hell don't. Often to understand a person's situation, you have to go through it, yourself, because everyone has different ways of reacting to the same situation. After going through the same situation, you may have an easier time understanding why that person reacted the way they did.
I also wanted to mention that sociopath is not just "person who can't empathize." Sociopaths are often narcissistic, withdrawn, manipulative liars. A single trait/symptom doesn't define any disorder.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 4, 2017 1:22 PM

May 2015
You keep getting out there, listening to people, letting them talk and encouraging them to talk. It's something you learn. It's difficult. One way to start is to just go on sites like Reddit and read people's stories.

Literature is also supposed to be helpful.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 4, 2017 4:05 PM

Mar 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:

Oh yeah i think i heard reading first person literature helps.
Oct 4, 2017 4:23 PM

Feb 2017
Honestly, OP, it sounds like this could be a by-product of mental illness. I've been in your situation, with severe depression where I have attempted suicide. When you reach that point, you don't care about other people anymore, because it's hard to care about anyone else when you've stopped caring about yourself. You feel apathy towards anything apart from your own absolute misery and desperation, and you will do anything to either end that/feel something. Depression completely skews your perspective on how other's see you (we see ourselves as a burden- which obviously isn't true!) and how you see the world- it's hard to think clearly when your emotions are all messed up and just getting up is a struggle. Living is effort enough, let alone thinking about what other people might be feeling. For me, my ability to put much thought into anything other than my own sadness was something that came back over time :)

From a biological perspective, empathy makes sense. Humans are social creatures, and if we can put ourselves in other people's shoes, we are more likely to help others out, and thus help the continuation of the human race etc etc.

On the other hand, some people do just feel things more deeply than others, and some people have higher levels of emotional intelligence. I don't think there's much wrong with not empathising with people all the time. As long as you are still aware of how your actions might affect others, and recognise the difference between right/wrong (even if you don't have a strong emotional reaction), you're probs okay :P I'd only be concerned if, for example, you couldn't possibly see how a serial killer murdering a bunch of people might affect other people or smth :P

You say you 'want to feel empathy' which honestly does give me the impression that this is related to the time you were in a bad place. Like I said, I went through a period like that, and tbh now I have experience mental health difficulties, I actually experience empathy like a million times more than before, and I'm a lot more emotionally sensitive.

Hope you're doing okay now btw, OP :)
ladamesansmerciOct 4, 2017 4:26 PM
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Oct 4, 2017 7:01 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

ye its like role playing in video games, you become and experience the characters struggle and success on the story and can be therapeutic too they say

Bibliotherapy is an expressive therapy that involves the reading of specific texts with the purpose of healing. It uses an individual's relationship to the content of books and poetry and other written words as therapy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliotherapy

watching video stories like anime helps too
Cinema therapy or movie therapy is a form of supplemental therapy - like art, music and dance therapy - for medical and mental health issues. It is also used as a form of self-help.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_therapy

but the OP seems like hating on anime though lol
Oct 5, 2017 1:46 AM

May 2015
traed said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That makes sense. Even if you know it's fiction, you're still presented with someone's personal, inner world, seeing everything from their point of view and not yours. The 'I', the personal tone, does a lot. That's one reason why I prefer first-person narration and will not write any other way.

isekai said:
traed said:

ye its like role playing in video games, you become and experience the characters struggle and success on the story and can be therapeutic too they say

Bibliotherapy is an expressive therapy that involves the reading of specific texts with the purpose of healing. It uses an individual's relationship to the content of books and poetry and other written words as therapy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliotherapy

watching video stories like anime helps too
Cinema therapy or movie therapy is a form of supplemental therapy - like art, music and dance therapy - for medical and mental health issues. It is also used as a form of self-help.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_therapy

but the OP seems like hating on anime though lol

Which role-playing? I'd say tabletop role-playing games, not PC ones. Don't get me wrong, I love PC role-playing for its own reasons, but tabletop forces you to really get into the character, act its mannerisms and quirks. I write all my games to be driven by characters (I Dungeon-Master diceless games), one of the reason is to give people the shock of empathy.

WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 5, 2017 5:27 AM
Aug 2017
@isekai
There are plenty of anime I enjoy. I listed several in this thread. I just don't get particularly attached to the characters most of the time.

More topics from this board

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - May 1

70 by jennicide »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do godzilla or any other kaiju actually exist irl?

FruitPunchBaka - Yesterday

29 by DesuMaiden »»
12 minutes ago

» Lonely Teens Are Making "Friends" With AIs

deg - May 11

29 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

» Tell me some chara who you want to confess your love to but ypu know you'll rejected by him/her?

Koimeguna - May 11

9 by LeonhartAugust »»
1 hour ago

» Whats's your favourite snack food?

Towaii7 - Mar 22

23 by pludel2 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.