Forum Settings
Forums

President of Kadokawa opposes removing anime from Youtube

New
Mar 16, 2008 11:26 PM

Feb 2008
According to Tech-On! magazine, Fukuda Tadashi the president of Kadokawa Digix (the publisher of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", "Lucky ☆ Star" etc.) said "It is quite sad to see that anime vids are deleted due to the copyright infringement. We can use Youtube and other video sharing service to advertise our titles outside Japan." He continued "Anime fans who wanna see anime in higher resolution will buy DVDs. People watch anime on Youtube because they have missed the TV broadcasting or wanna check it just on trial. Currently we give up the chance of selling not only the DVD but the illustrations or other character products. Those fans take their time to upload and advertise our anime titles. If we keep on claiming copyright infringements and neglecting their activities, we eventually lose anime fans."

Source
Tech-On!
Translated source article first half
Translated source article last half

====edited
The name of the president was "Tadashi" not "Mineo"
I posted the translated original article in my blog.
dtshykMar 17, 2008 6:04 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 16, 2008 11:31 PM

Nov 2004
Wow, the guy dropped a bombshell. He's sort of saying what fans have been saying over and over again about their pirate activities but there have been like a million arguments conceived against the "people will buy DVDs if they like it" or that the anime on the web is for 'preview-ing' purposes stance.
Mar 16, 2008 11:39 PM

Mar 2008
Bombshell indeed, but his views are arguably minority, especially when you consider some other animanga authors.

Sometimes, copyright infringements is less about business and more personal (to the authors, at least).
Mar 16, 2008 11:39 PM

Nov 2007
Where is your god now, Answerman?
Mar 16, 2008 11:53 PM

Mar 2008
I agree with with him. I usually download or look at Anime online to see if i like it or not. If i like it i always buy it. I wouldn't have bought all the Anime i have if i wasn't able to see if i liked it or not.

Hopefully Yutube and other places like it will listen to what he say and stop deleting them. But before that happen they need to convince those greedy bastards that license Anime that they can actually benefit from this.

I believe that many more would actually buy a Anime if they had the chance to see if they would like it or not before they buy it.

Mar 17, 2008 12:14 AM

Jun 2007
While I'm inclined to agree, the problem is "Fans" who conveniently don't support the DVD releases. All that "Promotion" goes to waste if people are just on deck for a free ride.
Mar 17, 2008 12:25 AM

Jan 2008
I like this guy's thinking.
Mar 17, 2008 1:22 AM

Nov 2007
i agree with that thing if i like an anime i will buy it on DVD ^^ i got my eyes on SnS soon as it goes dvd box set / blueray and clannad

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Mar 17, 2008 1:53 AM

May 2007
Very optimistic thoughts on the fans. Still, things will keep going like they way it is now.
Mar 17, 2008 1:56 AM

Mar 2008
BadSeafood said:
While I'm inclined to agree, the problem is "Fans" who conveniently don't support the DVD releases. All that "Promotion" goes to waste if people are just on deck for a free ride.

Of course, you will always have those who will rather see it for free. But i think that more people would buy the Anime if they could actually see it even if it is licensed and be sure if they like it or not.

Right now many people probably avoid buying Anime they are unsure on, and since they can´t see if they like it or not they won´t take the chance to buy something they don´t like.

Mar 17, 2008 2:06 AM

Jun 2007
100% agree! If only more ppl could see it that way. Other than us of course.

And don't forget fansubbers put alot of time and effort into inserting subs so that we can understand it.
Mar 17, 2008 2:17 AM

Aug 2007
It's moving in the right direction but somebody somewhere is going to do something stupid and cause problems it always happens.

I still buy anime even though I download... Well whenever I have actual cash to spend
Mar 17, 2008 2:26 AM

Oct 2007
Crystal said:
Wow, the guy dropped a bombshell. He's sort of saying what fans have been saying over and over again about their pirate activities but there have been like a million arguments conceived against the "people will buy DVDs if they like it" or that the anime on the web is for 'preview-ing' purposes stance.

I love that guy now...
Mar 17, 2008 2:43 AM

Mar 2008
Would be nice if there were an English version of the article, but regardless I'm inclined to disagree. The anime industry is actually sustaining a lot of damage from various forms of piracy. There was a significant decline in production in 2007, partly due to one of the larger studios (Geneon) going belly up. To cite a personal example my friend Ben who properly got me into it has seen 2 or 3 times as much as me but owns 0 DVDs. I'm certainly not innocent myself, but I try to keep it honest if a show is airing on TV or is for sale in the states. I'm really hoping that pay to download sites and the more cost effective full/half season DVD boxes end up being a viable solution so this doesn't degrade into the kind of fiasco the RIAA caused that culminated with home raids and excessive fines being inflicted on the public.
Mar 17, 2008 3:54 AM

Nov 2007
dtshyk said:
If we keep on claiming copyright infringements and neglecting their activities, we eventually lose anime fans."

qft
Mar 17, 2008 3:56 AM
Sep 2007
I never watch anime in the youtube, the video/audio quality is too low.
Mar 17, 2008 3:59 AM

Jun 2007
Crystal said:

I think the difference between what hes saying and what fans are saying is a tad bit different. The majority of the fans that bring up these arguments normaly include bittorrent. Which means the eps can come in high def or full screen with high quality where as he's specifically talking about youtube and other online video sites that degrade the quality enough to force the fans to buy the dvd if they truly love the show after watching it on said site. I agree with both methods though. The anime industry really needs to start thinking about setting up something like Joost.com.
Mar 17, 2008 5:37 AM

Nov 2007
unknowdata said:
I never watch anime in the youtube, the video/audio quality is too low.

I agree, I only watch it there if it's nowhere else to be found
Mar 17, 2008 7:28 AM

Aug 2007
Thats been my thinking for a while- if the series is good then Ill buy it on DVD. If I couldnt watch anime on the internet, I would probably watch 1/4 of what I watch now, and buy less because I wont find as many series that I really like.
Mar 17, 2008 8:25 AM

Oct 2006
DeathfireD has a good point. Honestly I think that being able to view some things in low-res on youtube and the like is an asset to anime companies - I used to always use youtube to check out anime series before I tried getting them on DVD.

I think torrents discourage people from buying anime DVDs though. Not all people, sure, but I haven't bought any DVDs since I got into downloading fansubs. If you can get a full-quality version of a series for free without having to worry about crappy subs, censorship and similar butchering of the original, etc. then what's the point in paying? I mean, sure, supporting the industry and all, but I'm not a good enough person to pay for something I don't plan on watching again or a release whose quality isn't even on par with free fansubs.
Mar 17, 2008 8:35 AM

Nov 2007
I feel the same way. Once I began to buy the DVDs for PPGZ, I figured that I should buy them if I could. I tend to have a guilty conscience if I get something without buying it or have no intent to. I just wish more people would be the same.
Mar 17, 2008 8:36 AM

Aug 2007
Haha nice. It's good to see that a higher up in an anime company supports the online distribution of anime even though it is an act of copyright infringement. I wonder what the response will be.
Mar 17, 2008 9:17 AM

Jun 2007
God bless him. XD

Of course I have no money now and my dad thinks it's a waste to buy dvds that I'll only watch once. I don't think he's seen me watch them over and over again…oh well. Once I get my own job and make money I'll buy dvds. =D
Mar 17, 2008 9:39 AM

Dec 2007
nice coment
Mar 17, 2008 9:59 AM

Feb 2008
Regardless of whether or not I download or watch on-line via You Tube or Veoh, if I like an anime enough to watch over and over again, I'm gonna buy it!
Mar 17, 2008 10:15 AM

Jun 2007
Finally, someone who sees the bigger picture. Thank Karma for that!
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Mar 17, 2008 10:45 AM

Dec 2007
Personally if i like an anime or manga enough i'll go and buy it on DVD anyway, irrespective of whether i've downloaded it or not. And anyway its not like the people uploading anime to Youtube or making torrents are doing this for a profit unlike *cough*narutofanplus*cough*
Mar 17, 2008 10:47 AM

Sep 2007
Well I'm a fan of Haruhi Suzumiya and I don't feel like spending around $120 for the whole season..
Mar 17, 2008 10:58 AM

Sep 2007
I like how so many people just jumped on this topic to justify their illegal activities. It's piracy. You're breaking the law. Admit it and continue downloading. Of course, I'm beating a dead horse that seems all but forgotten with the general ignorance of anime fans.
Mar 17, 2008 12:05 PM
Sep 2007
overfunk said:

wheres his god indeed

Mar 17, 2008 12:06 PM

Nov 2007
I don't think anyone is negating that it is illegal. It it more so that this illegal practice has practical means for the anime industry, as stated in the quote by the president of Kadokawa.
Mar 17, 2008 12:08 PM

Nov 2007
Shiranai said:
I like how so many people just jumped on this topic to justify their illegal activities. It's piracy. You're breaking the law. Admit it and continue downloading. Of course, I'm beating a dead horse that seems all but forgotten with the general ignorance of anime fans.

Piracy or not,I don't think it's a crime to admit we can't just buy DVDs over and over...
Mar 17, 2008 12:14 PM

Nov 2007
coros said:
overfunk said:

wheres his god indeed

I lol'ed.

Mar 17, 2008 12:56 PM

May 2007
Omg, the guy's awesome. ^^ Finally someone that understands the fans.
And really... it doesn't have to be the DVDs. Fans can buy merchandises and those kind of stuff if they like the series, too.

Mar 17, 2008 1:12 PM

Sep 2007
Chamcham said:
I don't think anyone is negating that it is illegal. It it more so that this illegal practice has practical means for the anime industry, as stated in the quote by the president of Kadokawa.

DarthNicolas said:

Piracy or not,I don't think it's a crime to admit we can't just buy DVDs over and over...

And this is what I'm talking about. Practical means doesn't stop it from being wrong. I download daily and I don't try to justify it by trying to use figures that aren't concrete. I also highly doubt that half of you would know the type of impact those figures have on the market. It could be minuscule or it could be huge. The problem is, its an unpredictable variable which a company will not rely on. Its like betting your life on some sort of activity you have no prior knowledge of; its just not smart.
Mar 17, 2008 1:16 PM

Oct 2006
I'll definitely agree with that. I'm downloading illegal content all the time and it doesn't really bother me, but that doesn't make it right. It's not something you can justify - if you can't afford to buy your anime and don't have a friend to borrow it from, the "right" thing to do would be to go without.
Mar 17, 2008 1:18 PM

Jul 2007
I never buy anime. I can honestly say if I couldn't get anime for free, I probably wouldn't be a very big anime fan (or at least see a significantly smaller amount of series compared to what I've seen pirated).

this is what most people are like

and with this post my post count has increased, making me 1 post cooler than before
Mar 17, 2008 1:24 PM

Oct 2007
Even I download anime, but if I like a series, I buy it whether I'm going to watch it again or not. Chances are good that I'll pick it up for another go after six or seven months, but that last part's just me...

What Kadokawa is saying is not "let people watch anime for free". It's "let people have the chance to preview anime before they buy it". It's a little too optimistic, but they are not trying to justify piracy.
You can find me on IRC.
Mar 17, 2008 1:57 PM

Apr 2007
I'll admit that after I began downloading fansubs and whatnot, my purchasing of anime DVDs drastically went downward. This was mostly thanks to me stopping blind purchases, however (I have a good number of Vol.1s and Vol.1+Artboxes that sit in my room, aimlessly awaiting the rest of a series that will never arrive), rather than me saying "oh, well, I can just get it for free!" (that's not to say I never had moments like that, though).

Considering the anime market in America tends to be mostly those in the 12~20 range (ballparking here, but you get the idea), these people don't necessarily have a lot of disposable income, which is also a problem when applied to the fact that the industry charges some fairly hefty prices for DVDs. Let me give you an example, to throw it into perspective: I'm eighteen. I buy DVDs sparingly these days, because I don't have a job at the moment (college, etc). Which is more valuable to me if I'm a fan of M*A*S*H* and Azumanga Daioh, the season boxset that costs twenty dollars, or the one that has a few more episodes (Azumanga) but also costs forty dollars (or more) in addition to that twenty?

If I were willing to pay that price, then I would still be buying M*A*S*H* over Azumanga primarily because I get more for what I pay, and I personally put a slightly higher value on the rewatching of M*A*S*H* episodes. I mean, at sixty dollars, you get roughly sixty episodes. A dollar an episode, versus more than three dollars/ep? That's just shrewd consumerism. So while fansubs do likely dent the industry (emphasis on "dent", and not rend, tear, ruin, etc), they would still pull in decent money on DVDs if they priced more competitively. Some are starting to do this, such as Viz with their Buso Renkin (and Bleach too, I guess) box sets, Nozomi with the season boxes of Maria-sama Ga Miteru, and so on. There needs to be more, however, because otherwise the industry will die regardless of how many people pirate.

While not a big deal with relation to this topic, I will mention the HD format war potentially affected anime. A lot of fans tend to be knowledgeable about electronics and would rather wait for Blu-Rays (since HD-DVD died) than buy DVDs now. Not a significant amount, but something to think about.

All that said, this particular announcement surprised me, as I didn't think any of the actual industry members had this view. Curiously interesting, and probably true. YouTube does allow for practical advertisement. Doesn't help much to confirm/deny that, but still, it's nice having a concrete statement.
Mar 17, 2008 2:00 PM

Mar 2007
I agree that it's cool that youtube allows us to preview a series and decide if we like it enough to buy it. It doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't mind it so much. The quality is poor enough that there is an advantage in buying the licensed release for the better picture quality. It helps generate interest in a series.It is sort of like how they turn a blind eye on the blatant copyright infringement of doujinshi.

What is probably frustrating them is that foreign fansubbers are providing sparkling, gorgeous complete-series releases. This encourages piracy more than youtube and is what they should be more concerned about. If fansubbers were really all altruistic and their goal was to spread interest in anime instead of stroking their own egos over who can release the popular series the fastest with the most bell and whistle effects and get the most downloads, they would only release, say, the first few episodes of a series to give people a taste of it. Then if we like it enough we can get the rest of the series when it hits our shelves. But instead, they are jumping on series as they air so that the entire series are often completely subtitled before they are licensed. (not all subbers are like this, obviously, but that sure is the atmosphere)

While US companies are doing a better job at getting stuff to stores fater than they used to, it is pretty much impossible to compete with the speed of fansubbers who release stuff with days of airing. There are negotiations over who gets the license, business contracts to sign, package design, dvd production, dub recording, etc. Often series are still in production as they air. This has to be very frustrating for them. There is a difference between not minding things on youtube and not minding downloaded anime.
Mar 17, 2008 2:17 PM

Oct 2006
While I agree that fansubs are bad for the industry in terms of providing a better and cheaper alternative to retail DVDs, I don't really agree with the idea of just subbing a few episodes and then leaving off the rest. Assuming that they stop producing and distributing their releases once a series is licensed, they're only filling in on shows that haven't yet been (and may never be) translated into English. Restricting themselves to two or three episodes because maybe someday there'll be an official release to pick up where they leave off just seems silly to me. I think it'd be a little more logical if they limited themselves to SD releases, perhaps, so HD would only be available if you bought the retail version.
Mar 17, 2008 2:50 PM

May 2007
Its not like i don't want to buy.
I just can't.

I never saw for sale an anime DVD (Original) without being Saint Seya or DBZ where i'm living now... (TToTT)

But when i went to Japan (last year), i bough thousands of dvds from series i liked....
Though it was only the series "i liked".
There is no way i could afford buying all series i already saw. lol

(Well this kind of makes me feel bad. lol)
Mar 17, 2008 2:55 PM

Mar 2007
Krelian said:
While I agree that fansubs are bad for the industry in terms of providing a better and cheaper alternative to retail DVDs, I don't really agree with the idea of just subbing a few episodes and then leaving off the rest. Assuming that they stop producing and distributing their releases once a series is licensed, they're only filling in on shows that haven't yet been (and may never be) translated into English. Restricting themselves to two or three episodes because maybe someday there'll be an official release to pick up where they leave off just seems silly to me. I think it'd be a little more logical if they limited themselves to SD releases, perhaps, so HD would only be available if you bought the retail version.

I think a good chunk of the popular shows that fansubbers are so eager to sub these days get licened. It's not like they are all jumping to start subbing something like Profy no Negai Tabi. Many subbers tend to concentrate on the 'hot' shows (resulting in 3 groups doing one series, etc), which are the same ones that the US companies are looking at anyway. And of course, only a handful of groups seem to stop when there is a license announced. (thus the easy availablility of Shigofumi, and True Tears, which were announced almost right when the series started, and post-licensing releases of stuff like Strait Jacket, or later seasons of Bleach or Naruto, which are very likely to be license if they haven't been already, etc. )

But yeah, another solution would be for them to release lower quality stuff. Perhaps not crunchyroll quality bad (lol) but obvioulsy lower quality than the dvds. And to include fun extras with the DVDs, like in the old days of gorgeous Laserdisk liner notes and illustrations.
Mar 17, 2008 3:22 PM

Jul 2007
he is without a dpoubt, my hero.
Mar 17, 2008 3:31 PM

Jan 2008
Yay for this dude!
Mar 17, 2008 3:36 PM

Feb 2007
Krelian said:
DeathfireD has a good point. Honestly I think that being able to view some things in low-res on youtube and the like is an asset to anime companies - I used to always use youtube to check out anime series before I tried getting them on DVD.

I think torrents discourage people from buying anime DVDs though. Not all people, sure, but I haven't bought any DVDs since I got into downloading fansubs. If you can get a full-quality version of a series for free without having to worry about crappy subs, censorship and similar butchering of the original, etc. then what's the point in paying? I mean, sure, supporting the industry and all, but I'm not a good enough person to pay for something I don't plan on watching again or a release whose quality isn't even on par with free fansubs.

Yeah same. I'm just simply not in the position where I can afford to pay for all the anime I'd like to watch. Nor half of what I watch.. I'm going to be starting university and living on my own, so obviously It am not going to be paying 60-100 bucks fort a box-set (which is how much it costs in Canada.. with a mos a small discount)

Plus, fan subbers own licensing companies. end of story

on another note, my t key has broken. :(
Mar 17, 2008 3:47 PM

Nov 2007
selective_yellow said:

Plus, fan subbers own licensing companies. end of story

on another note, my t key has broken. :(

I've always wondered about this. I'm sure licensing companies aren't so stupid that they don't know that many fans (who might just be making excuses to not buy DVDs but some are legit in their beliefs) prefer fansubs over official subs. Why don't they make an effort to bring official subs to the level fansubs have become?

On another note, that's pretty sad SY, don't /wrist on us now.
Mar 17, 2008 3:53 PM

Sep 2007
Fansubbers do generally have better releases than official subbers. What's sad is they get the subs done in a few days with amazing work while the official ones take months and are rather shitty. The only real reason I buy DVDs is so they look good on my shelf.
Mar 17, 2008 3:59 PM

Mar 2007
selective_yellow said:
Yeah same. I'm just simply not in the position where I can afford to pay for all the anime I'd like to watch. Nor half of what I watch.. I'm going to be starting university and living on my own, so obviously It am not going to be paying 60-100 bucks fort a box-set (which is how much it costs in Canada.. with a mos a small discount)

Yet you still seem to think you are somehow entitled to get to watch it free,just because you can't afford it? While it's tempting to say 'well, they wouldn't have gotten any of my money ayway since I can't afford it, or I don't like it enough to buy it anyway...' that is such a cop-out. It only means that whenever you do happen to have any tiny amount money to spend on any hobbies or fun stuff, you end up spending it on other things that aren't as easily pirated (like trendy clothes at the mall or a non-manga book at a bookstore or whatever), since why should you bother to spend it on anime when you can get that for free. The avilability of free pirated goods affects how we choose to spend what little money we do have, money that could, theoretically, go to anime companies if the fake stuff wasn't so easily available.

LOL, just playin' devil's advocate here... ^_^
Mar 17, 2008 4:59 PM

Jun 2007
I still wish the Anime industry would adopt a Joost.com like system where they can offer up free full anime series and movies with their own custom ads being aired in between. Joost does a wonderful job with their ad system. They only display two or three ads (not at the same time), each only lasting a few seconds where as on TV we get attacked by 5 or 6 ads back to back that last 15 mins or so.

I think the anime industry could even expand such a system to offer "paid" accounts where if you pay a set price you could watch the same (or different) shows in high definition and uncut. This would encourage fans to buy a monthly package or even do a itunes like deal to watch higher quality shows. The price would obviously have to be something low like $10 a month to become popular.

Heck they could even higher some of the top subbing groups to sub the shows as they come out in japan so English fans can still watch them before they get dubbed to death. Joost uses the a more closed version of the bittorrent protocol so it wouldn't cost the Anime industry much to offer up their anime inventory and they wouldn't have to worry much about their shows being pirated off the service.

O Well, I guess its one of those things where we will have to just wait and hope.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Kono Sekai wa Fukanzen Sugiru' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs

Nioxys - Yesterday

1 by Clarkjani »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kaijuu 8-gou' Unveils Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

1 by malvarez1 »»
8 hours ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

18 by Jopping »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Ikoku Nikki' Receives TV Anime

DatRandomDude - May 3

18 by Kazou-nozumu688 »»
Yesterday, 7:17 AM

» 'Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu' 2nd Season Announced

Vindstot - Dec 23, 2023

19 by JugNut001 »»
Yesterday, 5:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.