Forum Settings
Forums

I want to be proven wrong on this (Please Read Everything Before Commenting)

New
Aug 28, 2017 10:24 AM

Sep 2015
So, we all know how almost every single shounen and action anime out there has attractive male characters with some level of femininity or androgyny to them, right? Well, ever noticed how none of those types of characters are EVER allowed to be openly gay or bi?

No, if they're openly gay or bi, I've noticed some very strict patterns in shounen and action animes. They must always have very naturally masculine physical traits (especially in their facial structure), they must always act flamboyant and stereotypically gay, and they always take their shot at flirting with or sexually harring straight male characters in creepy fashion; and they are either overly muscular, and/or wears stereotypically gay clothes or crossdresses poorly.

Only exceptions to these rules I know are very very few, and then in that case it's that they are super-duper feminine and brings up a wish for them to be a woman... meaning they are transgender women, and not gay men. So, that doesn't even count.

And once again, I'm talking about SHOUNEN and ACTION animes specifically, since those are the types of animes I'm into. I am gay myself, and I'm generally tired of feeling like us gays and bis are only allowed to be like I described in any action-oriented animes. Heterosexual dudes get cool sexy attractive male characters in action-oriented all the times to look up to and want to be like - I get no one to look up to or wanting to be like or be attracted to. And I don't think it's fair I can't even find ONE exception to this rule.

But like I said in the title, I would really really love to be proven wrong on this.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2017 10:29 AM

Jul 2017
It's because there's not near as big a market to have a gay action anime compared to a heterosexual action one. It's all about the money.

Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Jul 2015
the majority of people (including me) will avoid watch a shounen with gay mc

go watch some Yaoi or Shounen ai

Jul 2014
It's Japan what are you expecting? They are really homophobic who don't really do well with any LGBT issues. Plus if you made characters gay I'm pretty sure some idiots would scream fujo pandering and crap like that.
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Aug 28, 2017 10:33 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
shone with no anime as its main character because one one want to watch a faggot

Aug 28, 2017 10:36 AM

Apr 2016
If someone would be so kind and write me summary of that wall of text.

Or is this just another gay thread ?
Aug 28, 2017 10:37 AM

May 2016
OP:
>Makes question about the use of homosexuality in general in action anime.

Answers:
>Talks about the MC only.

Lol, read again.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Aug 28, 2017 10:39 AM

Apr 2017
well if you want a reason its because japan is rather regressive in that nature
very taboo desu

there was that gay dude in TTGL tho lol
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Aug 28, 2017 10:39 AM

Apr 2013
Feminine Openly Homosexual character in Shounen Anime = Taboo to air on Japanese TV
and that won't change until Nippon actually starts listening to your opinions

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 28, 2017 10:41 AM

Oct 2016
Swagernator said:

why is every gay char showed as super-muscular, creepy and weirdly clothed. Nothing that he can identify with. Or at least that's the impression i got from the op
Aug 28, 2017 10:42 AM

Apr 2016
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Nippon actually starts listening to your opinions

And it will be that exact moment when anime die.

Shattiiee said:
why is every gay char showed as super-muscular, creepy and weirdly clothed. Nothing that he can identify with. Or at least that's the impression i got from the op

Well that would be because that's where truth lies.

kikyo1hinamora said:
gay shit is trash op and should never be supported and encouraged by people

I completely agree.
Aug 28, 2017 10:43 AM

Apr 2013
Swagernator said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Nippon actually starts listening to your opinions

And it will be that exact moment when anime die.

True, but Nippon was already killing Anime themselves :p
Aidoru-OjisanAug 28, 2017 10:49 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 28, 2017 10:44 AM

Nov 2012
Because Japan.

Next question please.

May 2016
Swagernator said:

Why are (implied) homosexuals in shounen/action anime always the creepy and damaging stereotype that always lusts after the hetero characters with 'sexual harassment' levels of force?

Is what I got from it.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.

Oct 2016
Victinimad said:
It's Japan what are you expecting? They are really homophobic who don't really do well with any LGBT issues. Plus if you made characters gay I'm pretty sure some idiots would scream fujo pandering and crap like that.

putting jokes aside, that is probably the main reason. I guess they don't want to encourage gayness(?)
Aug 28, 2017 10:45 AM

Jan 2017
Oh boy oh boy, as a bi guy that loves action/shounen I would sold my soul to have action anime with openly gay/bi protagonist...
Best examples I've seen so far of guys that aren't hetero in action anime would be Dio from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Aug 28, 2017 10:49 AM
Nov 2010
You can't get everything you want in your life because life isn't fair. Authors and their publishers aren't wish-granting people/institutions. They create what they want to create and what they think will sell. If one of those works happens to have a lot of what you want, then good for you, otherwise, too bad and you can always create something yourself.

Cheers.
Aug 28, 2017 10:51 AM

Apr 2016
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
True, but Nippon was killing Anime themselves already :p

Let's just hope they finish with that killing before western correctness enter the scene.

Shattiiee said:
I guess they don't want to encourage gayness(?)

Jesus, just look at their birth rate, they cant afford gayness. The future of nippon depends on it.
SwagernatorAug 28, 2017 10:54 AM
Aug 28, 2017 10:52 AM

Apr 2013
Tomislavr7 said:
You can't get everything you want in your life because life isn't fair. Authors and their publishers aren't wish-granting people/institutions. They create what they want to create and what they think will sell. If one of those works happens to have a lot of what you want, then good for you, otherwise, too bad and you can always create something yourself.

Cheers.

^
This tbh, good reasonable answer bro

Ascended Taste
Aug 28, 2017 10:53 AM

Oct 2016
Swagernator said:

Jesus, just look at their birth rate, they can afford gayness. The future of nippon depends on it.

you do have a point there actually. hmm...
Aug 28, 2017 10:53 AM

Nov 2012
Victinimad said:

They claim fujo pandering for even a perfectly normal sports shonen like Haikyuu lmao.
Aug 28, 2017 11:05 AM

Jul 2012
isn't jjba pretty gay?

also, shounen is targeted for a specific audience so it makes sense why heteros are more common there
Aug 28, 2017 11:08 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
kikyo1hinamora said:
Manaban said:

Well I wouldn't intentionally make fun of your English because I've sort of been there before myself, I just assume it isn't your first language

but yeah I was trying to make fun of your response
but....but my response was pure gold .

mine was better though, you just need to git gud

----------

I've got nothing I really want to say that could be considered relevant because I dislike taking place in discussions related to these types of topics immensely. Rather than clogging up the thread, I'll opt to pull out rather than stay inside.

Aug 28, 2017 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
Tomislavr7 said:

Cheers.

^This.

@KurvosVicky , the anime and manga industry is...well.. an industry. It comes down to demand and supply. Most people are Hetero, and anime itself is a niche thing, at leastwhen it comes to howmany of its consumers actually pay for it. If you make a show for an even smaller niche, the fanbase is gonna have to be EXTREMELY DEDICATED

Are you going to buy every single blu-ray and dvd of anime with gay protagonists, if they decide to make them for you? Are you going to make it worth their money? Will you pay them hard earned xash for any shonen with a gay MC, no matter how bad it is? Unlikely. You're part of a minority, so sadly, you'll have to make do with fujobait if you want shows with gay MC. It sucks for you, but you wont get anything better,
It's okay to smirk

Aug 28, 2017 11:13 AM
Jun 2017
I could care less about the characters sexuality tbh. All I ask is if the MC is gay, have him keep it in the closet. No one wants to see that gay shit.
Aug 28, 2017 11:16 AM

Sep 2015
kikyo1hinamora said:
because no one one want to watch a shonen anime with a faggot as its main character.

and usually yaoi anime are meant for girls
and yuri for boys
they are made for heterosexual people mainly lol

First of all - I just gave examples of gay characters existing in shounen, I never said they don't exist in them at all. Second, I never said it has to be a main character. None of this answers the question brought up.
Aug 28, 2017 11:18 AM

Sep 2015
CreativeNam3 said:
It's because there's not near as big a market to have a gay action anime compared to a heterosexual action one. It's all about the money.

You didn't read my post properly. Never said I want the whole anime to be gay, or that it lacks gay inclusion. I even acknowledged that shounen animes have gay inclusion, just questioning the way it's included. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Aug 28, 2017 11:19 AM

May 2016
Again, people are focusing on the MC.

Maybe he just wants a cool gay side character ya know.

The anime could still be mainly hetero with a hetero MC and all, but have a gay character that is not just an extreme comic relief.

I believe that is what he's asking for.
Aug 28, 2017 11:21 AM

Sep 2015
tragedydesu said:
the majority of people (including me) will avoid watch a shounen with gay mc

go watch some Yaoi or Shounen ai

Like I've told two others here already, I never asked why there is no gay inclusion in shounen. I even acknowledged that there IS gay inclusion in shounen anime. Please pay attention to what I say before commenting, because your response is irrelevant to my question.

And shounen-ai and yaoi is not action-oriented.
Aug 28, 2017 11:22 AM

Sep 2015
Victinimad said:

Never said they don't make characters gay. I even SAID they DO. That's not what I brought up in my post. I question the awfully selective way they portray gays always, and I ask for if there is any exception.
Aug 28, 2017 11:24 AM

Sep 2015
Aug 28, 2017 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
The market is too small to have a openly gay character in anime specially in a shouen battle series. In addition, most countries especially Japan have a conservative society and would not look kindly on a openly gay character that is serious about their same-sex lover unless it a made for pandering and fan-service only.
Aug 28, 2017 11:26 AM

Sep 2015
Manaban said:
shone with no anime as its main character because one one want to watch a faggot

Never said anything about main characters.
Aug 28, 2017 11:29 AM

Jul 2014
KurvosVicky said:
Victinimad said:

Never said they don't make characters gay. I even SAID they DO. That's not what I brought up in my post. I question the awfully selective way they portray gays always, and I ask for if there is any exception.

And like I said because it's Japan. They are homophobic. Do they heck know that gay people are like normal people? They just have an oversimplified view in their heads as gay people 'don't exist' in their society due to the fact it's frowned upon and they try and 'correct' that sort of stuff (there is a nice idoim realting to this about hammering down nails that stick out; implying that anything society deems isn't 'normal' is got rid of). Most people (happens in the west) don't go out of their way to educate theirselves on matters like this that most likely don't relate to them. Authors just want stories that sell after all; not to lose out of money for catering to select people.

Exceptions only really exist in BL and most of the time the ukes are overly feminine too. Tho there is a lot of 'normal' people in BL as well.
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Aug 28, 2017 11:30 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
well most of these anime, if not all, are made by straight males with a straight male audience in mind

wow.. yall are some assholes @__@
Aug 28, 2017 11:32 AM

Jul 2015
kikyo1hinamora said:
Darek said:
I hope for a day when you will start making sense.
me too .
all I want to say is that not everyone who doesn't support lgbt's rights is an homophobe.

Everyone who unironically calls gays "faggots" is tho.
Aug 28, 2017 11:35 AM
Aug 2016
but what do you want tho? if you want a male MC in love another male then that means there should be a romance tag which is rare itself in the shounen/action genre. And if you want a MC who want to have sex with another male then shounen/action oriented anime are the last place you would find anyone mentioning sex at all.

holy shit I would really like to know why you rated one of the only highly acclaimed gay anime like YoI despite being gay yourself.
ClickBaitBusterAug 28, 2017 11:38 AM
Aug 28, 2017 11:37 AM
Aug 2016
Mayuka said:
isn't jjba pretty gay?

I would be gay for Kira, tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 28, 2017 11:38 AM

Sep 2015
Tomislavr7 said:

Cheers.

This is not what I was asking for. I'm questioning patterns.
Aug 28, 2017 11:40 AM

Sep 2015
addioo12 said:
Tomislavr7 said:

Cheers.

^This.

@KurvosVicky , the anime and manga industry is...well.. an industry. It comes down to demand and supply. Most people are Hetero, and anime itself is a niche thing, at leastwhen it comes to howmany of its consumers actually pay for it. If you make a show for an even smaller niche, the fanbase is gonna have to be EXTREMELY DEDICATED

Are you going to buy every single blu-ray and dvd of anime with gay protagonists, if they decide to make them for you? Are you going to make it worth their money? Will you pay them hard earned xash for any shonen with a gay MC, no matter how bad it is? Unlikely. You're part of a minority, so sadly, you'll have to make do with fujobait if you want shows with gay MC. It sucks for you, but you wont get anything better,

I. NEVER. SAID. ANYTHING. ABOUT. A. MAIN. CHARACTER. BEING. GAY.

God damnit, you people just cherry-pick what I say to disregard it all instead of trying to help me find examples of what I look for. -_-
Aug 28, 2017 11:49 AM
Nov 2016
KurvosVicky said:
So, we all know how almost every single shounen and action anime out there has attractive male characters with some level of femininity or androgyny to them, right? Well, ever noticed how none of those types of characters are EVER allowed to be openly gay or bi?

No, if they're openly gay or bi, I've noticed some very strict patterns in shounen and action animes. They must always have very naturally masculine physical traits (especially in their facial structure), they must always act flamboyant and stereotypically gay, and they always take their shot at flirting with or sexually harring straight male characters in creepy fashion; and they are either overly muscular, and/or wears stereotypically gay clothes or crossdresses poorly.

Only exceptions to these rules I know are very very few, and then in that case it's that they are super-duper feminine and brings up a wish for them to be a woman... meaning they are transgender women, and not gay men. So, that doesn't even count.

And once again, I'm talking about SHOUNEN and ACTION animes specifically, since those are the types of animes I'm into. I am gay myself, and I'm generally tired of feeling like us gays and bis are only allowed to be like I described in any action-oriented animes. Heterosexual dudes get cool sexy attractive male characters in action-oriented all the times to look up to and want to be like - I get no one to look up to or wanting to be like or be attracted to. And I don't think it's fair I can't even find ONE exception to this rule.

But like I said in the title, I would really really love to be proven wrong on this.

I wasn't planning to answer this, but after seeing all those stupid answers...

Anyway, I totally agree with you, I understand how it feels to love something so much but that something dispises you, or just makes as if you don't even exist.

Some of the answers were right, I think the reason here is mostly Japan's social situation, and also anime viewers'.
I just hope this changes in the next few years.

Don't mind those people who insult you, I keep getting surprised at how rude people can be in this site. Looks like some see this as a threat were they have their sexuality teased... Which clearly scares them. Gayness? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Jesus...
SSF2Aug 28, 2017 12:00 PM
Aug 28, 2017 11:49 AM

Sep 2015
HyperL said:
Again, people are focusing on the MC.

Maybe he just wants a cool gay side character ya know.

The anime could still be mainly hetero with a hetero MC and all, but have a gay character that is not just an extreme comic relief.

I believe that is what he's asking for.

THANK YOU! Thank god, SOMEONE here bothers to read what I say.
Aug 28, 2017 11:50 AM
Oct 2012
Gengoroh Tagame's "My Brother's Husband" is worth reading if you're looking for something that elaborates on Japan's attitude (broadly-speaking, of course) towards LGBTQ+ people. Fantastic manga that one, and the mindset that it depicts is probably part of the reason why LGBTQ+ representation isn't quite 'there' in Japanese media. I've heard that Kabi Nagata's "My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness" is similarly solid (not read it yet myself), and Takako Shimura's "Wandering Son" is worth checking out for its exploration of transgender identity.

Beyond that, I can think of only a few decent LGBTQ+ supporting characters from series that aren't primarily yaoi/yuri/bara/etc, but no MCs off the top of my head. You're not wrong that there's a pretty drastic imbalance, I'm afraid. "Mirai Nikki" has Akise Aru, "Gatchaman Crowds" has Rui Ninomiya, Mina from season 2 of "Darker Than Black" is gay and "Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon's" Malga and Margot weren't bad.
smileyboyrocksAug 28, 2017 11:53 AM
Aug 28, 2017 11:54 AM

Sep 2015
EZanime91 said:
The market is too small to have a openly gay character in anime specially in a shouen battle series. In addition, most countries especially Japan have a conservative society and would not look kindly on a openly gay character that is serious about their same-sex lover unless it a made for pandering and fan-service only.

I even told there ARE openly gay male characters in shounen animes. This is not what I even talked about.
Aug 28, 2017 11:57 AM

Sep 2015
ClickBaitBuster said:
but what do you want tho? if you want a male MC in love another male then that means there should be a romance tag which is rare itself in the shounen/action genre. And if you want a MC who want to have sex with another male then shounen/action oriented anime are the last place you would find anyone mentioning sex at all.

holy shit I would really like to know why you rated one of the only highly acclaimed gay anime like YoI despite being gay yourself.

There are openly gay characters in shounen/action anime. I even said that in my first post. This is not what I even talked about.
Aug 28, 2017 11:57 AM

Jun 2012
I was writing a long reply, trying to figure out why it is as you describe, but ultimately I felt that my analysis wasn't actually helpful, and at worst it could come off as apologetic.
Certainly, we could find explanations by looking at this psychosocially etc. but I think most people already know that homosexuality is not viewed neutrally in Japanese culture. The question is whether we can find examples of homosexual characters depicted in a reasonable fashion.
I don't know of any proper examples myself. The closest would be Yuri Kuma Arashi which is deeply allegorical and deals with how lesbianism is (poorly) dealt with in anime (and so we get to see those very problems). Quite meta and not what you're looking for (neither shounen nor action), but at least it shows that not literally everyone in the industry has those bizarre and exaggerated ideas about what it means to be homosexual and I hope that things are going in the right direction, although it will probably take some time.

A lot of ridiculous comments in this thread...
Aug 28, 2017 11:58 AM

Jan 2009
watch Gurren Lagann its about manliness but there is gay side character there that you may like
Aug 28, 2017 12:01 PM

Sep 2015
SSF2 said:
KurvosVicky said:

I wasn't planning to answer this, but after seeing all those stupid answers...

Anyway, I totally agree with you, I understand how it feels to love something so much but that something dispises you, or just makes as if you don't even exist.
Some of the answers were right, I think the reason here is mostly Japan's social situation, and also anime viewers'.
I just hope this changes in the next few years.
Don't mind those people who insult you, I keep getting surprised at how rude people can be in this site. Looks like some are afraid of having their sexuality teased...

Oh, thanks man. :) So nice to see someone say something nice and reasonable and rational here for a chance. And yeah, I hope it'll get better in the future. And yeah, I'll try to not mind these people. XP
Aug 28, 2017 12:01 PM

Jun 2012
Isn't the gay character in Gurren Lagann a typically poor example?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

31 by Cronosmu »»
2 minutes ago

» Similar sounding Anime opening/ending songs

erikkamirs - May 3, 2020

10 by karsonardoe »»
2 minutes ago

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

13 by Zimmu »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

35 by Cronosmu »»
16 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

50 by TsutanaiFuun »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.