Forum Settings
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 15, 2017 12:15 AM

May 2015
Lol, I don't even care anymore. One more chapter and this shit manga will finally come to an end.
Jul 15, 2017 12:43 AM

May 2010
Quick wrap up to that fight.

Aaww, Natsu is home (to Lucy <3) :')
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Jul 15, 2017 1:12 AM

Mar 2016
That was so predictable. And Acno got comletely ridiculed.
Jul 15, 2017 2:00 AM

May 2015
Meh, Genki Dama is nothing new sadly. ;(

Fight with Acnologia was just bad.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 15, 2017 4:03 AM

Nov 2015
When i saw this,

all i could think about was this

Jul 15, 2017 4:30 AM
Oct 2013
Kuma said:

where is @isterio... he usually the one that rant the longest...

There is nothing to rant about. I tried to explain why this series turned bad and what it should have done different, because it had done good in the past but after the Erza Meteor thing it was clear that Mashima wasn´t trying at all anymore.

It´s awful, but that´s nothing new. At least before Mashima could surprise me with how low he could get.

Virgin detection magic. that makes people orgasm themselves to death, now that´s fun. The actual best part was people trying to defend this bullshit.
This was entertaining to argue against, but now it´s just boring.
IsterioJul 15, 2017 4:36 AM
Jul 15, 2017 4:39 AM

Mar 2014
EPIC
1. Tenrou Island
2. Tartaros
3. Tower of Heaven
4. Phantom Lord

GREAT
5. Fighting Festival
6. Oracion Seis

GOOD
7. Edolas
8. Galuna Island
9. Sun Village
10. Lullaby

ALRIGHT
11. Key of Starry Sky
12. Loke Arc
13. Early Adventures of Natsu, Lucy, and Happy (Hargeon, Mt. Hakobe, Daybreak)

DIE
14. Zodiac Rebellion
15. Daphne
16. Avatar
17. Alvarez
Jul 15, 2017 4:50 AM
Oct 2013
Turtles_Hunter said:
Nobody ever complained about the way Dragon ball ended, and this is basically the same ending.

Unlike Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball had proper pacing and every ability was either established or foreshadowed. Goku never went "HAAHH MY FRIEDNS" and got stronger after getting the shit kicked outa him for 95% of the fight against Majin Buu. We knew what the Spirit Bomb was from the Saiyan arc onwards and Master Kai´s ability to globably communicate was also preexisting. We didn´t knew that Meredy could link her magic throuought the whole continent because friendship, Natsu never was Acnologias equal in any way form or shape until this moment and Acnologia received a tremendous powerup, before Natsu onehit him after losing with the whole of Dragon Slayers assisting him.

A fight has to be equal to be entertaining. Here a perfect example from probably the best action Movie of the resent decade.

Both parties need to have the upper hand during it´s duration, or it´s not fun.

Fairy Tail recycles the same bullshit execution that made the Batman v Superman fight godawful. A onesided beat up can be fun, but it has to remain onesided. Fairy Tail tries to do both at once and fucks it up.

This is one of the most iconic beat ups in Movie history, it´s fun to watch every time. So iconic in fact that the Simpsons made a parody of it.

Now if this was Fairy Fairy Tail Carlo or the thug would stand up and onehit Sonny or Marge with the power of friendship.
This would ruin the flow and turn it into complete garbage.

TLDR: Dragon Ball ending>Fairy Tail ending.
IsterioJul 15, 2017 12:29 PM
Jul 15, 2017 5:26 AM

Oct 2015
Didn't they say Acknologia's "dragon form" was some mindless freak that only had instincts, since its mind was in the Ravines of time? I thought he can't even speak.

This chapter was okay I guess. I still hate how bad this last arc was, with all the non-sense bullshit.

At least it's going to end next week. I doubt many people could enjoy more of it, since Hiro dislikes his own work at this point.
Jul 15, 2017 5:27 AM

Sep 2014
Eyyy was nice knowing you Acnologia but unfortunately can't beat Nakama Power or Hiro's writing.
Guess it's time for another timeskip and finally see those ships in action and their babies :D
Jul 15, 2017 5:48 AM

Jan 2008
Part of me wonders why there was only two chapters left. This one was 26 pages long (that's two chapters) and the next one is 48 (that's easily three chapters). Did Hiro just decide he didn't want to do it any longer? Maybe he was told to get it done in X chapters because they were done with him? 550 could have been a nice number to finish up on, but 445 is fine too.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jul 15, 2017 6:44 AM
Apr 2014
Ouch, there goes Acno. Hiro can't even give a proper ending for him. As the final villain, he got wrecked really quickly :s

Jul 15, 2017 7:58 AM

Jun 2015
what a load of BS
did acnologia forget that he EATS magic?!
secondly, it took him a YEAR to realize that he's missing an arm???
thirdly, what's with the king BS ?
Jul 15, 2017 8:14 AM

Jan 2015
The fight was... an FT fight. We didn't expect anything different anyway so I don't really care. Though seriously, Meredy can link that many people now? Jeez.
The fight is finally over; I'm happy. The character interactions are currently what I'm more interested in. The final chapter is 48 pages? Time-skips are cliche but I love them. So if the final chapter is a time-skip and a lot of shipping, I'm going to be happy no matter how cheesy it is.
So I actually am looking forward to the next chapter. XD
MALoween 2017 Candy:
Jul 15, 2017 9:06 AM
Oct 2013
kevin_video said:
Part of me wonders why there was only two chapters left. This one was 26 pages long (that's two chapters) and the next one is 48 (that's easily three chapters). Did Hiro just decide he didn't want to do it any longer? Maybe he was told to get it done in X chapters because they were done with him? 550 could have been a nice number to finish up on, but 445 is fine too.

This isn´t One Piece. Fairy Tail Chapters on average are 20 pages long and usually longer than shorter. 48 is two decent chapters for Hiro´s ratio, as he´s thrown out 30 page chapters with good art in the past.

He clearly doesn´t care about this series anymore for a long time, but why should Kodansha tell him to stop if he writes their second most profitable series in the Magazine it´s being released.

550 would require him to write 140 pages in 7 weeks, without repairing any of the damage to the story he´s done up till now.
545 takes him only 74 pages in two weeks. That´s nearly half the work in a 3rd of the time, but the man managed to draw two Manga simoultaniously multiple times for over a year, 48 pages is nothing to him.
IsterioJul 15, 2017 9:16 AM
Jul 15, 2017 12:10 PM

Apr 2011
Turtles_Hunter said:
Nobody ever complained about the way Dragon ball ended, and this is basically the same ending. Which fits for FT. Now yeah, it was predictable, but FT was never really original. Half of the times Mashima reused things from his previous works. FT never was really original. It was slightly over average shonen, and kept it that way (except for the whole blatant fanservice in thing in the late arcs, that truly hurt the series. God, he should go write a hentai before coming back to Shonen. But hey, it's still not To Love Ru...)

Plus it logical that Natsu could beat him alone. I mean the dragons didn't achieve to, Gildarts did either. So people would have complained if he had. (sure I would have prefered if he ate the DS power as he ate Gajeel and Laxus ones.But overall, something like that was meant to be.

Exactly. So, a 3/5 is a reasonable rating. The amount of hate I'm seeing here is ridiculous. Especially directed at Natsu. He's the main character of a 'battle' shounen, made by a guy who LOVES the 'power of friendship' trope. What were they expecting? FT has had it's great moments, but at the end of the day, we aren't reading it for it's amazing plot, it's for the characters. (@ least for me it is.)
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Jul 15, 2017 12:13 PM

Dec 2015
0 out of 0ne-shot.
Jul 15, 2017 1:56 PM
Dec 2016
Such a Shame, this Manga had great potential until they Friendship BS started being used every single fight.
I'd say that this was way more worse than bleach because Bleach was rushed and had a due date, FT wasn't being rushed so to pull off such a equally unsatisfying BS ending makes it much more worse.
Fairy Tail had it's up moments but mainly it's downs will be remembered and it'll go down as one of the worst mangas of all time especially with the potential it had.
Jul 15, 2017 2:03 PM
Jul 2017
I loved this chapter!! I know a lot of people are saying they hated it but the only reason Mashima made Achnologia die so quickly is because Achnologia was already weak because of what was going on outside of the ruins of time and it was definitely not easy to kill him anyway. Natsu only defeated Achnologia because he had all of the dragon slayers' strength and Lucy and everyone else outside of the ravines of time paralyzed Achnologia and made him really weak. Mashima made it look like they defeated Achnologia fast, but in reality it took a lot of strength and time to defeat him. So please don't hate on this so much. No matter what anyone says, I will always love this chapter and the series.
Jul 15, 2017 2:55 PM

Mar 2008
Cmon.. oh man.. Well, it's only 1 more chapter. It's unfortunate how these big shounen manga which always start out well enough (Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail) end up turning into such jokes.
I hope Mashima at least manages to end it nicely.. he did with Rave Master (that manga is 1000x better than Fairy Tail), maybe he'll be able to do it again.

Still.. I enjoyed my time with the manga when it was still new. It had some great moments, that's for sure.
Jul 15, 2017 6:00 PM

Dec 2016
Fairy tail probably has the worse ending compared to the rush Bleach ending.
Jul 15, 2017 7:56 PM

Oct 2012
What shall I say... I am with this manga/anime, Fairy Tail for 7 years already.
I always cherished it. I were hyped countless of times. I discussed about it with all of my friends over the years. I am grateful to Hiro Mashima for creating this manga/anime. The story had 2 main villains: Zeref and Acnologia. Zeref died in a very unique way, I loved it. But Acnologia - I know he was targeted by the whole continent of mages in the real world, but I am still not happy over the fact that he lost to a one punch. One punch won the strongest villain of the series... I always talked about Acnologia and hyped all of my friends about him, always.

But it's all right. This is Fairy Tail. I respect Hiro Mashima and his decisions. This is the story, and I will accept it. Thank you again...

Waiting for the last chapter now. Hope to see Natsu and Lucy together, Jellal and Erza... Though I would have wanted to see Erza and Natsu too but... Lucy <3
Jul 15, 2017 11:09 PM

Jan 2008
Isterio said:
kevin_video said:

This isn´t One Piece. Fairy Tail Chapters on average are 20 pages long and usually longer than shorter. 48 is two decent chapters for Hiro´s ratio, as he´s thrown out 30 page chapters with good art in the past.

He clearly doesn´t care about this series anymore for a long time, but why should Kodansha tell him to stop if he writes their second most profitable series in the Magazine it´s being released.

550 would require him to write 140 pages in 7 weeks, without repairing any of the damage to the story he´s done up till now.
545 takes him only 74 pages in two weeks. That´s nearly half the work in a 3rd of the time, but the man managed to draw two Manga simoultaniously multiple times for over a year, 48 pages is nothing to him.

I don't know. Bleach was pretty popular until he was told "no, you're done after this arc" and he extended it until a number of us dropped it anyhow.

I guess Hiro is already fixated on his next series and wants this over with quickly.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jul 16, 2017 1:56 AM

Jul 2013
Tbh, at this point, I was not even surprised. Good thing this is gonna end already.
Jul 16, 2017 4:35 AM
Oct 2013
kevin_video said:

I don't know. Bleach was pretty popular until he was told "no, you're done after this arc" and he extended it until a number of us dropped it anyhow.

I guess Hiro is already fixated on his next series and wants this over with quickly.

Kubo was never told that he´s done with it. Stop believing any bullshit you are told. His last arc is the longest last arc I´ve seen in any Manga. It´s 207 chapters long. He said in multiple interviews that he was constantly getting sick in resent years and heavily alluded towards the fact that he himself cancelled it out of concern for his health. He was the 6th highest selling Manga in the Mangazine
Despite the worst ratings.If you rate only by battle Shounen it was 3rd right behind My Hero Academia and that without any promotion. But the most important point is the fact that even now after that Bleach is finished.
They released a Movie, merchanise cropped up in form of mobile games etc and Shueisha released two Novels, similar to the ones Naruto received to let him complete his story. They´d be doing none of that if Bleach wasn´t profitable to them and they wanted it gone. Sometimes it´s just the authors fault himself.
The same applies to Hiro Mashima. The guy talks about writing the next series and you claim how he was cancelled? Where is the logc behind that?
IsterioJul 16, 2017 4:40 AM
Jul 16, 2017 9:39 AM

Jan 2008
PirateKingJJ said:
Fuck Hiro. Fuck the shippers. Fuck the Alvarez Arc and FUCK NATSU! This was literally one of the worst possible ways to defeat the final villain. People still think FT characters can stand up to the OP, Naruto and Bleach verses. Like how? lmao. 1/5.

Could not agree more. This manga dropped down from a strong 8 to a miserable 5, not going lower only because of the first part. Glad it's over. Haven't been this stressed while reading any other manga. No logic whatsoever, power of friendship always prevails, good characters always live (or get fucking revived), bad ones become good (even Acnologia had that smile at the end after that cheesy cliche line... What the hell? So out of character). Horrible.
Jul 16, 2017 11:57 AM

Aug 2015
"dont need anything else, because I have my friends"go to hell Natsu and your usless friends.Seriously?He one shot Acnologia with the nakama power,isn't Acnologia imune to all magic?I guess in the E.N.D the nakama magic was to strong for him..even his dragon form was reckted by his friends..No END no dragon form no nothing just bullshit...This manga made me hate everything related to nakama.
Jul 16, 2017 2:57 PM

Feb 2014
This arc made this manga go from a 6 to a 2. This shit was just offensively terrible.
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Jul 16, 2017 4:26 PM

Apr 2014
0/5

I can't believe there was a time I used to be excited reading this garbage weekly.
Jul 17, 2017 4:21 PM

Jan 2014
Predictable fight. Hope they atleast try an orinal ending (am fine with few years later),

Although i feel like agnologias background is still lacking in the story
Jul 17, 2017 8:15 PM

Nov 2013
As expected, power of friendship blablabla ...

I feel a bit sad for those who bought this manga. In a few years or so they'll be like "did I really buy this?"
Jul 18, 2017 7:44 AM
Jan 2011
Fairy Tail was always a series about love and friendship since chapter one. I'm not sure how people have read this far and not figured that out
Jul 18, 2017 10:51 AM

Apr 2011
It's been a while since I last read FT, but I took an effort to read this chapter to see how things will unfold.

That Dragon Ball reference....lol

Jul 18, 2017 11:00 AM
Mar 2015
This was probably the most disappointing shounen I have ever read. I really liked the premise of the manga and the first few arcs. It was interesting and had a charm to it but then it just became a downward spiral.

It is disappointing that the only good villain was finished off in such a disappointing way. Other than the art, I don't think there is anything I liked about this manga. I am glad it will finally come to an end.
Jul 18, 2017 12:27 PM

Mar 2014
I completely forgot that Acnologia was fighting with one arm all the time.
Jul 18, 2017 3:57 PM
Jul 2017
I hope for the last chapter they don't pull a cliche timeskip out of nowhere. I don't want to have to fill in the gaps as to say "Oh, so this happened" or "Oh, they got together". Just PLEASE Hiro let the last chapter be half-present and half-timeskip. So we at least know what the hell happens to the damn crew.
Jul 19, 2017 8:32 PM

Sep 2015
Giga Punch Breaker 7 dragon special!(because Natsu's va same as Simon)

And nobody die everybody happy

Heard manga end soon and just to catch up with everything
Into the Internet!
Jul 20, 2017 10:29 AM

Oct 2016
Pie said:
When i saw this,

If you have read Rave Master by the same author, it's pretty much a reference to Haru and Ellie reuniting at the end.
Jul 20, 2017 6:26 PM
Oct 2013
Jak said:

If you have read Rave Master by the same author, it's pretty much a reference to Haru and Ellie reuniting at the end.[/quote]

It could be, but it´s fucking botched. It made sense for Ellie to welcome Haru back, no such sense in here.

Ravemaster was generic and cheesy, but it was fun and Hiro didn´t try to cram as much bullshit as possible into it. Haru and Ellie are among the best written Shounen couples I´ve seen. They are cheesy but what do you want.

This is dogshit. It´s like simoutaniously with his drawings evolving he kept devolving his writing. Judging from his devlopment he´s definately doing an Ecchi Harem next. Not just from a storytelling perspective, but the artstyle too.
IsterioJul 20, 2017 6:43 PM
Jul 20, 2017 6:48 PM

Oct 2016
Jacksnapp said:
Rammedy said:
It hit the bottom. The only thing i wonder is: which was worse FT or Bleach?

At least the canon pairings in the epilogue of FT will make sense and not be as ridiculous as Bleach (or Naruto for that matter)
Not as much Bleach as Naruto. Aside from the Shikamaru and Temari, none of the end couples in Naruto made any sense (and I'm even including the big ones too like Naruto/Hinata and the worst fucking couple Sasuke/Sakura). At least Ichigo and Orihime somewhat made sense. Though I personally didn't like Renji and Rukia. I just hated what happened to Rukia overall. She became such a useless side character and if she had ended up with someone, it would have made way more sense that it would have been Ichigo considering how close they were. Renji and Rukia never showed that closeness even though they knew each other forever.
Jul 20, 2017 7:49 PM

Dec 2015
Jak said:
Jacksnapp said:

At least the canon pairings in the epilogue of FT will make sense and not be as ridiculous as Bleach (or Naruto for that matter)
Not as much Bleach as Naruto. Aside from the Shikamaru and Temari, none of the end couples in Naruto made any sense (and I'm even including the big ones too like Naruto/Hinata and the worst fucking couple Sasuke/Sakura). At least Ichigo and Orihime somewhat made sense. Though I personally didn't like Renji and Rukia. I just hated what happened to Rukia overall. She became such a useless side character and if she had ended up with someone, it would have made way more sense that it would have been Ichigo considering how close they were. Renji and Rukia never showed that closeness even though they knew each other forever.

I totally agree with you; both about Bleach and Naruto. Really, you couldn't have put it into better words~

It's true, Naruto's couples (except Temari and Shikamaru) had no buildup whatsoever and I find the reduction of the stronger female characters to stereotypical loyal obedient housewives ridiculous (Sakura should've become hospital director, follow Tsunade's steps or really anything besides being a housewife eagerly awaiting her estranged husband that visits probably once in a decade at home), the pairings themselves seemed to come straight out of a western fanfiction (Ino and Sai?) or were totally random (as much as I like Chocho, where did that pairing even come from? )

Even if they try to legitimize the strange relationship between Naruto and Hinata by pasting her into an altered version of Naruto's childhood in the movies etc., the fact remains that Hinata was just his creepy stalker for most of the series and while she did develop as a character, right up until the end of the series, Naruto was constantly bragging about his love for Sakura.

I wouldn't have minded an open ending without pairs but to have Sakura and Sasuke get together was just awful, they're really the worst couple
(not to mention what a toxic relationship they have)

Bleach was decidedly better.

I feel as though Kubo had always planned for Orihime and Ichigo to eventually get together (right from the start; have you read the one-shot? ) but the problem is that the relationship Ichigo and Rukia had, ended up being much closer, romantic (and sexual, seeing how differently Ichigo reacted to both girl's bodies physically) and therefore feeling much more natural (& canon lol) than the actual resolution of the love triangle provided.

While I understand that Renji was in love with her, I never registered any romantic attraction from Rukia to him, they were childhood friends and although he might've wanted more, Rukia never seemed to care about him that way. I actually would've preferred her to have a stronger leadership position in Soul Society and no relationship at all since her being with Renji felt out of character.

It's almost as though both Ichigo and Rukia had to settle with a "consolation prize" since the person they actually loved wasn't available somehow.

I'm also a little bitter that Kubo repeated the whole Isshin - Masaki - Ryuken thing with Ishida, Orihime and Ichigo.

I'm guessing that Kubo just wanted to stick to his original intent with the pairings (which is a real pity) instead of going with the flow of how the character relationships developed.

Personally I would've liked to see Orihime and Ishida get together (also to mark a difference from their parents); while naturally Ichigo and Rukia should've been a couple.

TLDR
As bad as Fairy Tail is, the canon couples were pretty much confirmed throughout the work and we don't have to fear Erza suddenly being together with Gray in the epilogue or Lucy being pregnant with Elfman's child
Jul 21, 2017 2:41 PM
Mar 2017
People are still upset with the endgame pairings of Naruto and Bleach?

I'm no shipper, but the Naruto series made it clear Sakura never had romantic feelings for Naruto and only eyes for Sasuke, even then there's the fake love confession. Kishimoto stated in an interview Naruto and Sakura were never going to be a thing.

When it comes to Bleach Ichigo and Rukia just struck me as close friends even then a relationship between them would be rather strange with the massive age gap.

As for Fairy Tail this is the most anti-climatic fight I have ever seen in my life. Acanolgia is the worst villain I have ever seen in my life.This is the worst ending I have ever seen in my life, even worse than Bleach's ending. Acanolgia a guy who killed 8 dragons slayers, can absorb magic, and has control over time itself loses to an exhausted teenager who throws ton of magic towards him and dies because of friendship and feelings. The fuck Hiro? Kaguya can rest easy knowing there's a worse big boss than her.
Jul 25, 2017 8:41 AM
Oct 2013
Jacksnapp said:
Jak said:

I totally agree with you; both about Bleach and Naruto. Really, you couldn't have put it into better words~

It's true, Naruto's couples (except Temari and Shikamaru) had no buildup whatsoever and I find the reduction of the stronger female characters to stereotypical loyal obedient housewives ridiculous (Sakura should've become hospital director, follow Tsunade's steps or really anything besides being a housewife eagerly awaiting her estranged husband that visits probably once in a decade at home), the pairings themselves seemed to come straight out of a western fanfiction (Ino and Sai?) or were totally random (as much as I like Chocho, where did that pairing even come from? )

Even if they try to legitimize the strange relationship between Naruto and Hinata by pasting her into an altered version of Naruto's childhood in the movies etc., the fact remains that Hinata was just his creepy stalker for most of the series and while she did develop as a character, right up until the end of the series, Naruto was constantly bragging about his love for Sakura.

I wouldn't have minded an open ending without pairs but to have Sakura and Sasuke get together was just awful, they're really the worst couple
(not to mention what a toxic relationship they have)

Bleach was decidedly better.

I feel as though Kubo had always planned for Orihime and Ichigo to eventually get together (right from the start; have you read the one-shot? ) but the problem is that the relationship Ichigo and Rukia had, ended up being much closer, romantic (and sexual, seeing how differently Ichigo reacted to both girl's bodies physically) and therefore feeling much more natural (& canon lol) than the actual resolution of the love triangle provided.

While I understand that Renji was in love with her, I never registered any romantic attraction from Rukia to him, they were childhood friends and although he might've wanted more, Rukia never seemed to care about him that way. I actually would've preferred her to have a stronger leadership position in Soul Society and no relationship at all since her being with Renji felt out of character.

It's almost as though both Ichigo and Rukia had to settle with a "consolation prize" since the person they actually loved wasn't available somehow.

I'm also a little bitter that Kubo repeated the whole Isshin - Masaki - Ryuken thing with Ishida, Orihime and Ichigo.

I'm guessing that Kubo just wanted to stick to his original intent with the pairings (which is a real pity) instead of going with the flow of how the character relationships developed.

Personally I would've liked to see Orihime and Ishida get together (also to mark a difference from their parents); while naturally Ichigo and Rukia should've been a couple.

TLDR
As bad as Fairy Tail is, the canon couples were pretty much confirmed throughout the work and we don't have to fear Erza suddenly being together with Gray in the epilogue or Lucy being pregnant with Elfman's child

So putting aside the fact that Shounen Manga barely ever have well written romance in it because it´s relegated to the backround with obligatory child expos to showcase the couples, your preferences are highly unpopular and the shipping fandoms are much more toxic than any of the fictional relationships represented.

Imo the bad depictions can solely blamed on Akira Toriyama as well as Rumiko Takahashi and their legacies for the Medium of Anime and Manga. Nonetheless most of their writing always was and is comedic in nature and far less damaging than any of the modern stereotypes they either created or popularized.

Vegeta and Inuyasha are poster boys for terrible rolemodels and in the case of Inuyasha all his predecessors and successors incluided.
Mind you one of the two intended to blow up the planet of his future wife and exterminated entire races, while the first thing Inuyasha did upon introduction was to lash out against his future wife to kill her. Imagine both couples telling their children how they´ve met each other. However both characters can somewhat be excused through their alien or demonic heritage.
What´s actually more surprising is the overwhelming support those guys receive till this day especially from the female demographic.

Boys wanna be like them and girls want them. So whose to blame in the long run? The authors who wrote them that way to sometimes fullfill utilitarian purposes, like writing Trunks into the story, or the audiences who latched on to those characters way beyond what´s healthy, despite their "awful" personalities?

Nonetheless they are definately preferable over the boring modern archetype of the devoid of personality dickhead who gets all the girls to love him because reasons.
Thanks Love Hina for that, you piece of shit work.

But to get back to argument at hand I looked up on the most popular Manga of all time to make some comparisions between the ones I´ve read.

One Piece: Outside of miniscule suddle hints never depicted any romance for it´s main characters. Depsite that, it established a rabid fanbase of shippers, that´ll verbally rip your throat out if, you oppose their favorites.
Few sidecharacters had okayish developed relationships,Kyros & Scarlet to name one, but they were short lived or rushed. The series isn´t short on terible role models either. Like one of the main characters parents who left his family in the pursuit of adventure and despite that is hold up on a pedestal by his family for leaving them, including his wife that died of sickness , who left a borderline orphaned child behind because of said decision.

Dragon Ball: The Granddady itself like discussed above created the archetype of the terrible fatherfigure/ husband that seems to be prevalent in Shounen manga.
Mind you the two guys in question, Goku & Vegeta, that are accused of said things are the fanfavorites of the series and the fanbases have good excuses for them.
Last but not least their Alien heritage.

Bleach: Like in One Piece romance was relegated to the sidecharacters too, like Ichigo´s parents, possibly Matsumoto & Gin or Nenel´s parents we only saw in a flashback. The series didn´t have any romantic interactions with any of it´s main characters, but confirmed a one sided long lasting romantic interest through Orihime very early into the series, that spun itself throghout the story and was approved by basicly every other character that learned about it who wasn´t in competition. The sole competing character being Nelial. Who was a member of different species, that lives in another dimension! This however, didn´t stop, any delusional, wishful people, from creating fake ships on the level of Naruto/Sasuke Yaoi fanfiction, that far exceeded it in prevalence and toxicity. Namely the Ichirukia fanshippers, who solely build their foundation on the consistent friendly interactions of the two most important main characters of the story, just because they were the most prominent ones. The real llife equivalent, to this train of thoguh, would be teenagers trying to force two platonic friends into a sexual relationship on the sole basis of them
A: Looking cute together &
B:Working well together on their job.
This is dumb, immature and can only come from people that didn´t have a single relationship in their lives, but can´t expect much from people who burn their Bleach volumes they paid good money for. as vengeance for their delusions not coming true.

Naruto: Now to the most controversial of the bunch at least in resent history, who fanned the flames of pairing wars, whose nuclear holocausts ended the lives of millions. Discharging during it´s finale in a massive blackout of deleted fanfiction, burned Manga volumes, rage induced pagelong essays consisting of denial and anger, internet petitions to change the ending and the most despicable of all deaththreats to the author because he didn´t fullfill their delusional wishes.

To which the authors response was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYVhREu15bI

Because
While the response of the opposing side was :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1UWPagjNaA
Because "We told you so!".

Mind you the oldest still available video from the so called "Youtube Anime community" is about exactly that debate. Tells you how overly invested people got over this topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3eiN0kMPf8

And as far as plans or foreshadowing go. There was actually alot in Naruto, at least for the main couples and I gladly link you to any website or tumblerpage that collected all of their "moments" existant or not. It´s just been always suddle. Kishimoto was very indecesive in showing his characters interact romantically.
But that´s mainly a failure of the demographic, he´s just among the worst of the bunch, like Dragon Ball or One Piece.

A little comparision with the best at the task:

What purpose does blackening the panel serve?
Some might argue that it´s an artistic decision and there is evidence for that.

But I´d argue that it also serves as cencorship.
My basis for this conjecture? The author has done this again, twice!

This time witht he main couple.

Now let´s take a look how a director who mainly worked on Shoujo and rom coms depicted a similar scene.

World of difference isn´t it?

Mind you these works come from a culture that is romantically so repressed that public declarations of affection are limited to holding hands. Kissing and even hugs are widely considered to be private.

Again like in Dragon Ball the pairings mainly served utilitarian purposes.
Choji got a wife, because he wanted someone that acceps him for who he is.
Kishimoto even said that he just wrote that in on a whim.
Shikamaru and Temari are pretty undisputed but that´s mainly due to no competition. Should have Ino or any other girl shown any form of affection towards him, the fangirls would be all over that opposite pairing.
Ino and Sai had no development, but made sense since Ino was diet Sakura and Sai was diet Sasuke. None of them are anyones favorite characters.
The purpose of pairings to begin with was the thematic exploration of "the next generation". Something repeatedly brought up in the story.
The fanfavorite pairings despite your disagreement had further thematic weight
to them, because they left the main characters on the opposite end of where their storyarcs initially started. Naruto and Sasuke started alone with no families and ended their story arcs with a family. Wether or not the conclusion was logical is debateable. Mostly because the majority of development happened off screen.

Fairy Tail: Who by far has the most couples out of any Battle Shounen. Something it owes to it´s overabudance of female characters that are mostly just there as eye candy. Don´t lie, you know it´s true !

And it isn´t short on toxic couples either, because this guy had alot of sons besides Trunks.

And in the case of Fairy Tail there were twins:

And mind you as far as abusive relationships go it´s on the individual to decide when the good deeds overweight the bad ones, or what justifies to go from here:

or how it compares to having been like that:

Or how the guy who ordered this:

To conclude this debate. Romance is never quite realistically written in Battle-Shounen Manga because they are teenage literature that primarly focuses on the struggles of a young boy or girl in a supernatural environment. The majority of it´s audience do not expect or ask for romantic development for it´s characters and the little they have can be considered obligatory legacy reflective of the culture and time period they´ve been created in.
Basicly. If Toriyama didn´t base his story on“Journey to the West“, which is over 2000 years old and includes a marriage between the protagonist and a goddess, a writing convention that´s found in every ancient literature, written by cultures, that didn´t consider all women as property, known to us, there possibly wouldn´t exist the cultural obligation modern authors feel the need to abide too. Despite being uncomfortable around the subject matter because their own sensetivities have developed into a different direction.
Even with all of that. Teenage insecurities coupled with falsefied projection of personal character flaws onto fictional characters is far more dangerous and far more at fault for the negative perception of said fictional works.
It´s not the authors that wrote that badly, it´s the idiots fault that interpreted things into something that never was there to begin with.
IsterioJul 25, 2017 9:07 AM
Sep 2, 2017 3:13 PM

Oct 2015
everyone at the continent holding their hands high to give their magic was copied from dbz's spirit bomb.
lihle808Sep 2, 2017 3:23 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 2, 2017 3:22 PM

Oct 2015
Viz said:
Ouch, there goes Acno. Hiro can't even give a proper ending for him. As the final villain, he got wrecked really quickly :s

I absolutely agree with you compared how strong he said he was, I mean this guy was supposed to be king of dragons for heavens sake

Sep 2, 2017 3:31 PM

Oct 2015
TTst said:
PirateKingJJ said:
Fuck Hiro. Fuck the shippers. Fuck the Alvarez Arc and FUCK NATSU! This was literally one of the worst possible ways to defeat the final villain. People still think FT characters can stand up to the OP, Naruto and Bleach verses. Like how? lmao. 1/5.

Could not agree more. This manga dropped down from a strong 8 to a miserable 5, not going lower only because of the first part. Glad it's over. Haven't been this stressed while reading any other manga. No logic whatsoever, power of friendship always prevails, good characters always live (or get fucking revived), bad ones become good (even Acnologia had that smile at the end after that cheesy cliche line... What the hell? So out of character). Horrible.
TTst said:
PirateKingJJ said:

horrible indeed everything was a cliche in this manga and copied elsewhere, this writer Hiro Mashima sucks really hard.

Aug 17, 2018 3:10 AM

Feb 2013
They all defeated Acnologia together.
Mar 23, 2019 3:12 AM

Jan 2014
man, this fight is so horrible compared to Natsu vs Twin Dragon Slayer. I thought Hiro would prepare the final battle so much greater than what's already been there.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 275 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DuroDeMatar - Mar 16, 2012

52 by aod-kun »»
Yesterday, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 268 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BackLashWave - Jan 27, 2012

52 by aod-kun »»
Apr 23, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 46 Discussion

Cali4nian - Oct 12, 2009

10 by MAYANK22 »»
Apr 21, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 418 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Darklight0303 - Feb 2, 2015

185 by shinytrains »»
Apr 13, 1:00 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 251 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Sep 17, 2011

81 by aod-kun »»
Apr 6, 5:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.