Forum Settings
Forums

A rating system for anime openings and endings only

New
Add a ranking system for anime openings and endings onto mal
Jun 25, 2017 11:29 PM
Jan 2017
I searched the music area of the forums, and I saw alot of people interested in anime music, but no one made a sugggestion about only openings and endings. I would like a ranking system added for anime openings and endings. The reason why is I like alot of the anime music, but at the same time the reason I like it is also because the visuals are also awesome. That being said, there is alot of anime out there I have not seen, or bad anime that I dropped or never gave a chance because their concept sounded dumb. Because of this I might be missing out on some really cool opening and endings, and I love watching them and trying to find the best. If their was a ranking system in place it would make it so much easier to keep track of like the lists for anime and manga. Eventually if this gets added and goes well, maybe add music clips in the show where songs stick out but they are not opening or endings, but are also more of a song than just an ost. For exampls the song "god knows" from melancholy or the angel beats concert songs.

I guess I can add a poll as well to gain opinion?
Jun 26, 2017 1:36 AM

Mar 2013
I like the idea about rating openings and endings, if it isn't much of a drag (i know it is lol), they could even add a sample or an entire opening/ending song... (Maybe make this a special MAL Supporter feature so that only they can preview it as it requires a lot of work) Also add an option in "Anime" pull-down menu where you can use a search function for finding a specific type of opening/ending.

As far as other songs from anime go, in my opinion, it would be enough to add a section on each anime page with a list of songs that feature in that particular anime, right under the ''Opening theme" - "Ending theme" sections.

All in all, great idea, i would love to see it as well
Patiently waiting for the best day of my life, the day when i die.
Jun 26, 2017 1:38 AM

Apr 2014
@gijoe250
How do know "no one" suggested this? Did you even searched before posting? Or you didn't got a result?
It's been suggested a lot oft times already, but that won't ever happen.
Because those songs doesn't have database. Here's the other threads by the way:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=OP+song&u=&uloc=1&loc=4
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 26, 2017 3:16 AM

Oct 2015
I don't really think it's necessary tbh
Jun 26, 2017 3:35 AM

Aug 2016
Kinda useless, sorry. If you want to find anime with good songs, go on youtube and search for people's top 100 OP and ED or something, or make a thread in anime and manga recommendations asking for anime with good music. People can give you recommendations really quickly.
Jun 26, 2017 4:01 AM

Jun 2016
Liked it. Sure, why not?

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 26, 2017 4:07 AM

Apr 2017
i like the idea but we don't have to go that far

still life: pink roses
Jun 26, 2017 5:16 AM

Jun 2016
That would be really fun but it would also be a lot of work for the developers. But if in case this happens, being able to add favorite openings and endings in your profile would also be great.
Jun 26, 2017 5:42 AM
Jan 2017
@rayzer, I did do a search for anime music, alot of things did pop up as you noticed as well, but none of them seemed specific enough like the suggestion sticky said it should be.
1) specifically wanted ranking system
2) I don't care about ost

Most of the postings looked like they wanted music listed, but didn't specify how. I think having it on a ranking system would be awesome.

@jyuushimatsu Ive been trying to do my search through youtube like you suggested, but to be honest alot of those lists are the opinion of one person and has horrible songs on them! I'd like a list that has the consensus of the population.

@the5thcolossus it probably would :(. I wouldn't need the actual clip on the site, it'd be enough just to have the op/ed name song and anime it came from. Then I'd Google the rest. The main thing I was hoping to use are the fans of the site's opinions
gijoe250Jun 26, 2017 5:46 AM
Jun 26, 2017 6:23 AM

Apr 2014
@gijoe250
What's the point of rating songs? Would you even get anything for it? This site isn't Billboard.com.
And why you think this will be implemented if just listing songs or song database wasn't even made.
This ain't gonna happen if there's no song database.
Jun 26, 2017 8:06 AM

Jan 2013
@Rayzer I don't think that a point here is necassary really, it'd be just an additional feature for people who are actually interested in ops&eds. Just for fun, you know. It's not like anyone'd have to use it.

I like this idea personally but I guess it's unlikely to happen.
fuyukiJun 26, 2017 8:10 AM
Jun 26, 2017 8:16 AM

Apr 2014
@fuyuki
Oh please, you didn't get it do you? To achieve that you need to create a new database for songs.
They already turned down creating databases for Games, Cartoons, VNs, live action, etc.
And their reason for that was their current database already takes a lot of work, so creating a new one would be pain for DB moderators.
Jun 26, 2017 8:19 AM

Apr 2016
What a terrible idea.

Now we would have not only anime/manga upvoters and downvoters but also for the music...
Jun 26, 2017 8:21 AM

Jan 2013
Rayzer said:
@fuyuki
Oh please, you didn't get it do you? To achieve that you need to create a new database for songs.
They already turned down creating databases for Cartoons,VNs, live action, etc.
And their reason for that was their current database already takes a lot of work, so creating a new one would be pain for DB moderators.
Wut? Did you even read what I wrote? I said that I know it's unlikely to happen. It should be pretty clear that I was mostly referring to the first part of you comment, the one where you asked about the 'point'.
fuyukiJun 26, 2017 10:16 AM
Jun 26, 2017 9:56 AM

Jul 2009
The idea of building out a sub-database theme songs (opening, ending, and insert) has been raised internally, especially with the ability to view them right on the database pages. This is something I'm personally a proponent of as well. Unfortunately, this is still very much a pipe dream as building the infrastructure would require a lot of development resources that we currently do not have. It would be a great feature, but there are other development priorities as well.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jun 26, 2017 5:47 PM

Mar 2015
How about a top of openings, endings and soundtracks?
My Candies:

My bonus Candies:
Jun 26, 2017 7:39 PM

Aug 2016
Unfortunately, I doubt these kinds of suggestions will ever be implemented.

Mod Edit: Removed backseat modding. Don't worry, we got it ^^
ShockedJun 26, 2017 11:06 PM
Jun 26, 2017 11:06 PM

Jan 2010
Merged Sergio_26's thread "Opening, Ending and OST top."
Jun 27, 2017 12:28 AM

Dec 2015
Imo this should have lower priority than more interesting stuff - like adding new categories. (But since those have been denied by default in that FAQ thread ... I guess scores for openings/endings aren't really needed.)
Jun 27, 2017 9:16 AM

May 2010
Seems unnecessary to me.
Jun 27, 2017 9:53 AM

Jun 2016
I would love it but it could be easily substituted with an extra Favorite section for music only.

With this the favorite numbers for people would be extended eg by +20.
(Ok I admit it I just recently hit the limit for people favorites :D)

It would be also simpler to implement.
XAnima13XJun 27, 2017 9:56 AM
Jun 27, 2017 8:03 PM

Feb 2015
Tell that to me if users rate 50%-70% of their ratings based on the OP/ED.
Jun 27, 2017 10:24 PM

Jun 2017
I'd love it :3
Jul 1, 2017 2:30 PM
Jun 2017
what about a waifu/husbando rating system to lol
Since Koe no Katachi has a very high rating her on MAL, rated by nearly 100k users currently should we try to upvote the movie on the worlds largest database related to films? This movie only has around 4,5k votes at the moment. Let's all vote and make the rating higher?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5323662/

if we make it more popular it will raise more money so it will support the anime industry and make anime more popular between all the peoples since IMDb is not an anime site
so more quality anime will be made
Aug 23, 2017 7:41 PM
Nov 2015
Why isn't this a thing? or even a favorite music one?? I saw a post earlier by an admin like you don't have the resources to do it? What??? So You have the resources to add All the Characters and People related to each anime but not the music related to it? It seems like all you would need to do is slightly change each profile's web layout and take existing infrastructure from the current character/people databases (since they are linked to anime series) and just replace some titles. I feel like someone with pre-existing knowledge of MAL's db system and only adept understanding of the db system could do it within a few days TOPS.

I would see adding in the openings would take a little time but that's to be expected, I would say give people with like 500+ posts the option to add non-existing music to the database system (with staff approval of course) that way you have a huge base doing a little work per anime to get the music/ops/endings in and staff just needs to vet it, would probably take a month to do it.

Seems like a laziness issue to me, or a poorly designed database structure to begin with.
Stein's Gate is the worst anime of all time.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.