Forum Settings
Forums

Like, Thumbs Up, or Upvote for Thread Comments?

New
Jun 23, 2017 2:51 PM

Sep 2016
Talkbass used to be saturated with a post being quoted, then someone saying "+1" as a workaround to say "I liked this post, but didn't have enough to say something 30 characters or more on it". They have since added a "like" or upvote option, wisely without a downvote or dislike option.

Would be super useful here and would probably cut down on volume of commenting to be honest. Seems like a feature that would make moderator's jobs easier in the long-term. I'm sure this has been suggested before, but would like to see something like this for all comments in the forums.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 23, 2017 3:20 PM

Apr 2017
i keep trying to dislike this post but nothings happening
oh wait i can just tell you

i dislike this post: nobody needs the validation, itd create more hivemind, the 30 char limit already deals with the +1 and if you actually want to truly show your appreciation you can reply and say what about it you appreciate and actually engage in discussion instead of pretty mindlessly clicking a +1 button.

イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Jun 23, 2017 3:39 PM

Sep 2016
Ikaros_42oh said:

i dislike this post: nobody needs the validation, itd create more hivemind, the 30 char limit already deals with the +1 and if you actually want to truly show your appreciation you can reply and say what about it you appreciate and actually engage in discussion instead of pretty mindlessly clicking a +1 button.

Comical hatred for "validation" aside, I don't think you're understanding the point here. Cutting down on simple affirmation posts means you don't have to scroll through pages of said posts to get to actual content. Besides, people just put whatever in to fill the 30-character limit anyways so it doesn't really "deal with" it at all. Try limiting your sodium intake, it'll give you high blood pressure ;-)
Jun 23, 2017 3:40 PM

Feb 2015
Eyyy! I feel like MAL is the new Reddit if tis were to be implemented. I guess I don't need to go to Reddit itself when it is on process of being implemented huh.. :)

Saves me some time to, instead focus how cancerous Reddit would be, I'd just post more here... :) :)

LordPlucky said:
Talkbass used to be saturated with a post being quoted, then someone saying "+1" as a workaround to say "I liked this post, but didn't have enough to say something 30 characters or more on it". They have since added a "like" or upvote option, wisely without a downvote or dislike option.

A best approach:

Instead of liking it. You can report it.

LordPlucky said:

Would be super useful here and would probably cut down on volume of commenting to be honest. Seems like a feature that would make moderator's jobs easier in the long-term. I'm sure this has been suggested before, but would like to see something like this for all comments in the forums.

I think what MAL Mods fear is when you add the +/- vote for shitposts, it will only get worse and more will do it...
Jun 23, 2017 3:48 PM

Apr 2017
LordPlucky said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

Comical hatred for "validation" aside, I don't think you're understanding the point here. Cutting down on simple affirmation posts means you don't have to scroll through pages of said posts to get to actual content. Besides, people just put whatever in to fill the 30-character limit anyways so it doesn't really "deal with" it at all. Try limiting your sodium intake, it'll give you high blood pressure ;-)

ye imma pop an artery here if ya keep it up, this post has me looking forward to the sweet release of death.

""validation"" and the hivemind it brings are not things i hate but rather think its better to not have in an open forum.
i think youre also overestimating the amount of +1 without anything to add posts. Most agree and state why they agree, which is worthy of reading. Sure its not pure original idea "content" as you call it but the best ideas and jokes are often built on deceivingly simple posts imo.

Jun 23, 2017 3:51 PM

Sep 2016
_Ako_ said:
I think what MAL Mods fear is when you add the +/- vote for shitposts, it will only get worse and more will do it...

As I said in my original, a downvote option wouldn't be wise for that reason exactly. A simple "like" button or whatever would be less confrontational. Judging by the first reply that I got to this thread, I can see how anything related to bolstering encouragement in this online community may be a waste of web coding LOL.
Jun 23, 2017 3:55 PM

Feb 2015
LordPlucky said:
_Ako_ said:

As I said in my original, a downvote option wouldn't be wise for that reason exactly. A simple "like" button or whatever would be less confrontational. Judging by the first reply that I got to this thread, I can see how anything related to bolstering encouragement in this online community may be a waste of web coding LOL.

Ehhh, I think you still don't see what the effects of the +1/-1 it gives in the overall toxicity state of the forum... :/

Well then if you can dig more to that kind of thing... Good for you...

A downvote still doesn't change the fact that you have a biased view on something. A upvote is the same as that. If you ask me, the forum is neat as it is without the overly complicated shit you have in mind. I mean what does a +1/-1 do if a flamewar starts? None. It might just even fan it and make it bigger.

A less confrontational way of doing it is what MAL have now. Done.
Jun 23, 2017 4:00 PM

Sep 2016
Ikaros_42oh said:
LordPlucky said:

ye imma pop an artery here if ya keep it up, this post has me looking forward to the sweet release of death.

""validation"" and the hivemind it brings are not things i hate but rather think its better to not have in an open forum.
i think youre also overestimating the amount of +1 without anything to add posts. Most agree and state why they agree, which is worthy of reading. Sure its not pure original idea "content" as you call it but the best ideas and jokes are often built on deceivingly simple posts imo.

Yeah "validation" and "hivemind" are going to be inescapable since this is a forum centered around a theme, in which people will seek validation for their opinions since this is the internet. The harangue against the "like" option on grounds of "validation" is just very ironic in this context lol.

I sometimes forget how young people on here are, which would explain why the civility and culture are different than Talkbass, which is typically 16-65 year old age range, with the vast majority being 30+. It's w/e, YMMV.
Jun 23, 2017 4:03 PM

Sep 2016
_Ako_ said:
LordPlucky said:

Ehhh, I think you still don't see what the effects of the +1/-1 it gives in the overall toxicity state of the forum... :/

A downvote still doesn't change the fact that you have a biased view on something. A upvote is the same as that. If you ask me, the forum is neat as it is without the overly complicated shit you have in mind. I mean what does a +1/-1 do if a flamewar starts? None. It might just even fan it and make it bigger.

Please re-read what I wrote. I, again, did not advocate for or ask for a "-1" or "downvote" option anywhere. Would also love to know how an upvote button is "complicated" lol.
Jun 23, 2017 4:10 PM

Apr 2017
LordPlucky said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

Yeah "validation" and "hivemind" are going to be inescapable since this is a forum centered around a theme, in which people will seek validation for their opinions since this is the internet. The harangue against the "like" option on grounds of "validation" is just very ironic in this context lol.

I sometimes forget how young people on here are, which would explain why the civility and culture are different than Talkbass, which is typically 16-65 year old age range, with the vast majority being 30+. It's w/e, YMMV.

my left arm feels funny...

yeah theyre inescapable but i want to limit it. Dont confuse hivemind and theme, theyre very different.
congrats on your age

Jun 23, 2017 4:35 PM

Feb 2015
LordPlucky said:
_Ako_ said:

Please re-read what I wrote. I, again, did not advocate for or ask for a "-1" or "downvote" option anywhere. Would also love to know how an upvote button is "complicated" lol.

it is not complicated, MALers can do it. The problem lies is how it will be used... :/

If MAL had the -1/+1 in the review section I know they can do it in forum, but are they willing to do it? Porobably not...
Jun 23, 2017 5:15 PM

Sep 2016
Ikaros_42oh said:
LordPlucky said:

yeah theyre inescapable but i want to limit it. Dont confuse hivemind and theme, theyre very different.
congrats on your age

That's the alien parasites, don't worry, they'll get settled in and you won't feel a thing after that ;-)

Any community is based around united thought in some capacity, for this one it's people who claim to be fans of anime. I just find it funny that you want to draw a line on something like that lol. *eye roll* yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with superiority, people with a 10 year age gap are typically in different places in life. You'll have different views on various ideas of a social nature because of that. What's "hivemind" and "validation" to you, is "community" and "camaraderie" to older folks. When all you're around is division and drama (AKA - full-time white collar office work) it's nice to run into people on the same wavelength from time to time. If none of us wanted that to some degree, nobody would have joined...unless they are some baka troll or something ;-)
Jun 23, 2017 6:08 PM

Apr 2017
LordPlucky said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

congrats on your age

That's the alien parasites, don't worry, they'll get settled in and you won't feel a thing after that ;-)

Any community is based around united thought in some capacity, for this one it's people who claim to be fans of anime. I just find it funny that you want to draw a line on something like that lol. *eye roll* yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with superiority, people with a 10 year age gap are typically in different places in life. You'll have different views on various ideas of a social nature because of that. What's "hivemind" and "validation" to you, is "community" and "camaraderie" to older folks. When all you're around is division and drama (AKA - full-time white collar office work) it's nice to run into people on the same wavelength from time to time. If none of us wanted that to some degree, nobody would have joined...unless they are some baka troll or something ;-)

i was making a heart attack due to blood pressure joke... ya must be gettin slow and senile, old man ;)

yeah exactly its a balance of community theme vs the hivemind/disrespecting of different opinions that can result from voting systems... its where id draw the line indeed. dunno whats funny about that...
yeah division and drama are an important part of the community too tho, like there are niches (would be clubs here) that you can go to to have that higher chance of same wavelength people if you want. The main forums should be diverse, open, and voting free tho.

im still pretty new here though, maybe my opinion'll change...

Jun 24, 2017 12:53 AM

Apr 2014
Here we go again. and again and again.
Why every month there's a shitty suggestion like this?
Please no, We don't want MAL to be a social media. And what's the benefit on this anyway?
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 24, 2017 1:02 AM

Aug 2016
@LordPlucky

I occasionally hang out at the Japan Reference forums and they have a pretty decent ranking system. Upvotes on individual posts or comments also increase the "rank" of the commentator. It seems to work out fine over there. Then again, the membership there seems to be mostly from mid-30s to mid-50s in age, so the maturity-level is, I hate to say it, much higher than it is here, on average.
Jun 24, 2017 1:19 AM

Jan 2009
i suggested this kind of thing in the past too https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=398977

but i changed my mind now since it will be prone to the creation of more circlejerks
Jun 24, 2017 2:24 AM

Mar 2013
I honestly wouldn't mind an upvote feature without the downvote possibility.

While seemingly meaningless and without a purpose, I think it is a type of a feature that adds towards the fun on the forums overall.
Jun 24, 2017 2:27 AM

Jul 2012
Been suggested by me in the past as well. Rejected.

Go back to Reddit.
Jun 24, 2017 5:28 AM

Feb 2015
Please no. No need to turn MAL into Reddit.
Jun 24, 2017 5:58 AM

Jul 2009
I used to support this idea, but now I'm beginning to think that it'll only promote terrible discussions and shitposts.
Jun 24, 2017 7:01 AM

Dec 2015
Not needed. This is similar to some "Karma" system - but only for posts (not voting on users) - and afaik such systems have already been denied in the past.

Just give your own opinion if you agree with something. If there's not enough and you could only post +1 ... then just let it and refrain from posting.

There is no rule that says users are forced to post.
Jun 24, 2017 10:45 AM

Jun 2016
Please no. :/ If you want something like that, then go on Reddit instead.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 24, 2017 11:33 PM

Sep 2016
Fvlminatvs said:
@LordPlucky

I occasionally hang out at the Japan Reference forums and they have a pretty decent ranking system. Upvotes on individual posts or comments also increase the "rank" of the commentator. It seems to work out fine over there. Then again, the membership there seems to be mostly from mid-30s to mid-50s in age, so the maturity-level is, I hate to say it, much higher than it is here, on average.

And someone finally gets it lol. Yeah, the more and more I get involved on here, the more I see the age gap becoming apparent. Referenced Talkbass (one of the largest internet forums for musicians) which has not imploded, but for the exact reason you cited....older demographic.

+1 ;-)
Jun 24, 2017 11:44 PM

Sep 2016
Do people hate Reddit on here or something? I've never been on there so I have no idea what it's like, but some of you guys seem straight bitter about it for some reason. I don't think I could have been any clearer about my frame of reference (Talkbass) which is an incredibly successful forum. But as another user pointed out, older demographics change the game. I'll continue my search for the AARP club on here ;-)
Jun 25, 2017 3:38 AM

Jun 2016
LordPlucky said:
Do people hate Reddit on here or something? I've never been on there so I have no idea what it's like, but some of you guys seem straight bitter about it for some reason. I don't think I could have been any clearer about my frame of reference (Talkbass) which is an incredibly successful forum. But as another user pointed out, older demographics change the game. I'll continue my search for the AARP club on here ;-)

I don't hate Reddit; truth be told, I love the people there more than here in MAL. Hahaha! I just don't think the karma system is for MAL.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 25, 2017 4:11 AM

Apr 2014
@LordPlucky
You still can't be stopped huh?
MAL forums was created for discussions.
Not just to socialize and get some stupid likes.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 25, 2017 4:18 AM

Apr 2017
i favor only upvote and no thumbs down that'll hurt lmaaaaoooooo

still life: pink roses
Jun 27, 2017 9:55 AM

Sep 2016
Rayzer said:
@LordPlucky
You still can't be stopped huh?
MAL forums was created for discussions.
Not just to socialize and get some stupid likes.

Yeah, we all heard you the first time...you still don't like upvotes on MAL, thanks for the update lol
Jul 3, 2017 1:04 AM

Jan 2010
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1359425
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=747639
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1574660

This has been suggested a few times before in the past, and while it has its charm in the sense of recalling other social media websites such as Facebook or reddit, it had always been met with distaste to varying degrees.

Thread Locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.