Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wrong to drop an anime (12-25 eps) after 1 episode?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 20, 2017 12:31 PM

Jun 2016
I've watched a lot of shows that start of weak but gets better after some time so I intend to at least watch 4 episode before dropping. But at some cases, there's just those shows that will make you throw up just after the first episode. So dropping an anime after the first episode is just fine.
Jun 20, 2017 12:31 PM

Aug 2016
I say give it a chance and watch a few other episodes. If it still doesn't captivate you, it doesn't matter if the anime gets good after, it didn't do a great job at captivating you from the start, so you can drop it at that.
Jun 20, 2017 12:33 PM
Aug 2011
Also no it is not bad to drop a series if you do not like it.

I have my personal reasons why I don't drop series but I would never stop someone else from trying otherwise.
Jun 20, 2017 12:36 PM

Aug 2016
I say give it a chance and watch a few other episodes. If it still doesn't captivate you, it doesn't matter if the anime gets good after, it didn't do a great job at captivating you from the start, so you can drop it at that.
Jun 20, 2017 2:11 PM

Jun 2011
Kittens-kun said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

I have dropped in a similar timeframe myself. I don't mark them but yeah. >.> It is like I click the show on crunchy, check it out up to the song. Make judgments. And say "FUCK THIS SHIT IM OUT"

I donno. You were never in an anime club so I am going to guess you never had to be exposed to anime you actually hated and had to sit through the entire thing. You don't appear to have many dropped/on hold anime. Your average rating is high. I am going to guess, you are very good at determining by the picture on the outside, by the synopsis if you would like the show. AND you have never participated in anime in a very social way. because if you had, you would have seen a lot more anime you didn't like. I mean, rating anime below a 6 seems unfathomable to you except in dire circumstances.

You don't really explore out of your taste pallat much. Maybe you haven't had a period where you tired of what you loved before and needed to expand your taste.

Also being 21... you are going to generally JUST NOW start to experience anime being not intended for you. May even take until next year. But if you don't feel it, I am happy. But normally when people become not a teenager anymore, they have a major shift in anime preference.

I felt it it me right at 20. But I think it might even be different for men.

Fact is you need to face that you judge anime without watching it all the time.

I don't judge anything until I watch it. And I haven't dropped an anime yet because I haven't watched anything I felt was so bad to warrant it. I can tell that you think I'M the strange one here. That I'm a filthy casual that doesn't do any critical thinking about what he watches. That I'll just eat up whatever you throw at me, and never complain about it.

But to me, dropping something within such a short time span is is what's odd. Unless you felt what you saw was disturbing, disgusting, or that it was personally insulting and offensive, then I don't see a reason to drop so early. You can't tell me it was the story or the characters because you've barely had time to experience either of those aspects.

And I'm not directing that at flannan because his explanation was perfectly acceptable. If you feel like something is just too relateable, to the point where it brings back negative emotions or memories, then I think the logical thing to do would be to stop watching it.

I'm not against dropping shows, there's too much anime and not nearly enough time to watch it all. You'd obviously want to spend what limited time you have watching something you enjoy. I just think you should give every show a fair shake. I'm not saying to watch like half of it, just enough to actually grasp what it is you're watching, then weed out what you don't like.

You have seen over 200 anime, I would never think you are casual. I actually like that you generally find things you love. :)

That is the wish for all people.

But for me. I don't care about fair shakes anymore. I used to. But I stopped. And when I did, I noticed my average score went up by .10 points. lol. 2015 was a real turning point. Look how low my score is for that year. damn. I really tried to push through so many things I hated. For what? So other people would have a better opinion of me? And look at 2016= I watched more anime, loved more anime more.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 20, 2017 3:01 PM

May 2015
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Kittens-kun said:

I don't judge anything until I watch it. And I haven't dropped an anime yet because I haven't watched anything I felt was so bad to warrant it. I can tell that you think I'M the strange one here. That I'm a filthy casual that doesn't do any critical thinking about what he watches. That I'll just eat up whatever you throw at me, and never complain about it.

But to me, dropping something within such a short time span is is what's odd. Unless you felt what you saw was disturbing, disgusting, or that it was personally insulting and offensive, then I don't see a reason to drop so early. You can't tell me it was the story or the characters because you've barely had time to experience either of those aspects.

And I'm not directing that at flannan because his explanation was perfectly acceptable. If you feel like something is just too relateable, to the point where it brings back negative emotions or memories, then I think the logical thing to do would be to stop watching it.

I'm not against dropping shows, there's too much anime and not nearly enough time to watch it all. You'd obviously want to spend what limited time you have watching something you enjoy. I just think you should give every show a fair shake. I'm not saying to watch like half of it, just enough to actually grasp what it is you're watching, then weed out what you don't like.

You have seen over 200 anime, I would never think you are casual. I actually like that you generally find things you love. :)

That is the wish for all people.

But for me. I don't care about fair shakes anymore. I used to. But I stopped. And when I did, I noticed my average score went up by .10 points. lol. 2015 was a real turning point. Look how low my score is for that year. damn. I really tried to push through so many things I hated. For what? So other people would have a better opinion of me? And look at 2016= I watched more anime, loved more anime more.

I mean, my tastes could change in the future. I've only been watching anime for about 5 years now. And while 300+ certainly isn't a small amount, it's a drop in an ocean when it comes to anime. In fact, I've already started to feel like my mean score is a little high. I look back at some shows that I haven't watched in years, and I start to question the score I gave them. I think through watching new anime, and revisiting old shows, I'll start to rethink my approach towards the medium.

Jun 20, 2017 5:31 PM

Mar 2014
It honestly depends on the show. Some shows make it extremely obvious within a few minutes how they're going to conduct themselves. However, every once in a blue moon you get the tone/ genre shift out of left field that makes it all of a sudden the best show of a given season, but these are so rare that it's safe to say you can drop and not lose sleep over it.

For most shows though, three episodes is going to give you a pretty clear indicator of where it's going and whether or not it is in any way, shape, or form interesting/ compelling

tl;dr - I dropped Akame ga Kill within the opening five minutes. No regrets.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

30 by Entity72 »»
11 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Yesterday

21 by Jozuwa-_- »»
11 minutes ago

» what is the best slice of life anime and why ?

ame - 29 minutes ago

3 by Entity72 »»
21 minutes ago

» What are some shows that are commonly credited to change someone's life?

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

28 by KittenCuddler »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Today

66 by joseifan »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.