Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 27, 2010 8:26 PM

Jan 2010
Have any of you experienced being stuck in the middle of learning japanese and unable to get better? In the beginning it was easy, memorize this and that and understand this pattern. But now it's like, "what do I do?"

I can generally understand simple sentences when they're written. But my kanji vocab is below 400 or so, and when I listen to japanese people speak, I can't understand half of what they're saying. Not to mention I'm unable to construct sentences quickly and when I do, they'll probably be full of mistakes.

So basically... どうすればいいですか?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 27, 2010 9:26 PM

Jun 2009
If I'm still learning japanse should I learn how to read it to or should I focus on one thing at a time?
A rose with thorns~
Feb 27, 2010 9:40 PM
Jul 2018
> どうすればいいですか?

You said your kanji vocab is under 400? Check out Remembering the Kanji by James Heisig. Give your kanji some attention this way. It'll make learning words that use kanji a lot easier.

Can't understand what people are saying? Then find some good TV shows/anime/etc. and watch them. If you want, rip the audio from them, stick it on an mp3 player and listen to it while you do other things. The only way you'll learn to understand spoken Japanese is by listening to it a lot.

Also, just pick up some books/manga you might be interested in and read them like you would English. Skip anything that is boring or too troublesome to read. I would initially pick stories you're familiar with, but that's just me. Pick whatever peaks your interest. If that's simple stories like Card Captor Sakura then great, or instead if it's something like http://www.japan-manganews.jp/ then do that. :)

Dark_pichu, my advice would be to focus on one thing at a time, but to have all the other things present at the same time. For example, if you're focusing on reading a particular sentence/paragraph, then do that, but while you're doing that, listen to Japanese music, or Japanese news. Just having it on is going to help.
Feb 27, 2010 10:21 PM

Jul 2008
If you keep working on it, you may feel stuck, but I think what's usually happening at such a time is that you're making progress you just don't notice. Then later you'll see something in Japanese and be surprised how much of it you can read, for example.

Keep going. It doesn't matter that much how you do it, as long as it keeps you engaged.
Feb 28, 2010 4:49 AM

Jan 2010
I hope so. Thats encouraging, thanks.

Zealous said:
Also, just pick up some books/manga you might be interested in and read them like you would English. Skip anything that is boring or too troublesome to read. I would initially pick stories you're familiar with, but that's just me. Pick whatever peaks your interest. If that's simple stories like Card Captor Sakura then great, or instead if it's something like http://www.japan-manganews.jp/ then do that. :)

What really nags me is the fact that a lot of times, I'll recognize a kanji because I SUPPOSEDLY learned it already, but can't remember what it means. Or I'll remember what it means but I dont know how to pronounce it. So I'm going back and forth from my manga to my translator a lot, and after a while I get fed up and stop reading.

Just one of those things you just have to keep pounding on, huh? Man, calculus wasn't this hard.
Feb 28, 2010 10:07 AM

Jun 2009
Zealous said:
Dark_pichu, my advice would be to focus on one thing at a time, but to have all the other things present at the same time. For example, if you're focusing on reading a particular sentence/paragraph, then do that, but while you're doing that, listen to Japanese music, or Japanese news. Just having it on is going to help.

thank you~
I have a book called "say it right in japanese", I have some apps on my iPod that help me learn how to read it too
A rose with thorns~
Feb 28, 2010 11:49 PM
Jul 2018
For memory problems, check out http://ichi2.net/anki or http://feedmejapanese.com
Oct 3, 2010 1:05 AM

Jan 2010
Just an update to my quest in learning japanese, I recently passed the JLPT N3 exam, so yay! Barely passed it, but still. XD

Thanks for all the sites and suggestions! Just keep at it and you can do it!
Oct 5, 2010 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
オメデト! ^-^)ノ☆.。・:*:・゜`☆、。・:*:・゜`★.。・:*:・゜`☆.。・:☆♪
Oct 7, 2010 1:11 PM

Jun 2007
read/listen/watch more..... very simple.

you could try sub2srs. I like it.

download one from here
http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Sub2srs_decks

or make your own with the program...... somehwer eon the koohii forum (just search)

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Melt, Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari - Japanese Lyrics with vocabulary translations

pdf4 - Feb 8, 2010

1 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 13, 8:15 AM

» It seems like this club is dead. Let's resurrect it!

Shiroguro - May 7, 2017

3 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 13, 2:04 AM

» Kanji- how do you prevent keep forgetting them?

Kisakii - Jul 24, 2017

3 by Zoushu »»
Nov 26, 2023 11:54 AM

» What does 介 "suke" mean in names?

SpectrumDT - May 26, 2018

0 by SpectrumDT »»
May 26, 2018 2:18 AM

» This group dead?

Kaiigoroshi - May 7, 2015

5 by arief- »»
May 11, 2016 5:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.