Forum Settings
Forums

This movie didn't even grossed 10% of what KIMI NO NA WA DID at int box office

A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
May 18, 2017 1:13 PM

Apr 2016
I found it more appealing and if it's not better, i can say equally good, but it hardly recover its production budget.
May 18, 2017 1:17 PM

Aug 2016
It's really terrible timing for Koe no Katachi to be released within not even a month of Kimi no na Wa's release. I haven't watched either, but I sympathize with Koe no Katachi
May 18, 2017 1:45 PM

Apr 2016
Well i think no one was expecting Koe no Katachi to have higher sales than Kimi no na wa...
May 18, 2017 1:48 PM

Apr 2014
R_TF said:
I found it more appealing and if it's not better, i can say equally good, but it hardly recover its production budget.

Citation needed buddy and it better not be out of your ass.
May 18, 2017 1:49 PM

Nov 2013
It definitely deserves more than that. Koe no Katachi was slightly better in my opinion and probably even worth rewatching at some point.
May 18, 2017 2:01 PM

Sep 2016
the one shot manga is pretty good, but after that is just a shitty school drama. bored of it and dropped midway.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 18, 2017 10:39 PM
Oct 2015
This always happens to the best anime, they always go by unnoticed.

But I guess they're at fault too, the BD release is very late.
May 18, 2017 11:42 PM
Dec 2016
First of all, this anime doesn't even licensed to North America but Kimi no na wa does. Second, Koe no Katachi is only scheduled to be released in 20 countries, on the other hand Kimi na wa has been scheduled to released in 30+ countries. I saw some articles, Koe no Katachi somehow beaten Kimi no na wa in Philippine theatres. It surpassed what Kimi no na wa grossed in that country. The marketing also helps why Kimi no na wa became more popular than the Koe no Katachi -where Comix films hires RADWIMPS, a popular band in Japan to advertise the movie more. Maybe that's some of the reason why this movie didn't even grossed 10% of what Kimi no na wa at International Box Office
May 18, 2017 11:54 PM
Sep 2014
I feel like Koe no Katachi wasn't as intense as Kimi no Nawa. Kimi no Nawa was also more immersive which kept people firmly attached till the end. Also Koe no Katachi was more about friendship and connecting with others then romance. It had its high and low points while I found Kimi no Nawa to be a bit more consistent in my opinion. However they are both amazing movies nonetheless, the two best movies of the year I'd say. I just wish the romance would've progressed a bit further.
svmsoverflagMay 18, 2017 11:59 PM
May 19, 2017 12:45 PM

Apr 2013
Kimi no Na Wa has much more mainstream appeal, from its theme to its story to its OST. Koe no Katachi not only is hindered by being a 2-hour movie about a sensitive topic (which means there will be pushbacks in some cases from some groups), but its also a slow burn and very grounded, which mainstream audiences don't tend to be that excited to watch.

Think of it like when Manchester-by-the-sea had to go against Rogue One in theatres. Many will argue that the former is far superior, and many critics will agree, but the latter made a lot more money overall.
May 19, 2017 1:12 PM

Nov 2016
one is a niche otaku movie by kyoani, the other one is a mainstream movie with popular actors and radwimps, you can't compare the box office performances of these two movies
May 19, 2017 1:14 PM

Feb 2015
Both movies was released at the cinemas at the same time right?
May 19, 2017 1:25 PM

Aug 2015
It was released in fewer screens, hence lower gross.
May 19, 2017 1:33 PM

Sep 2013
KNK made over $20 million which is great.
Kimi no Na Wa is a phenomenon, a comparison is unnecessary.
May 19, 2017 4:08 PM
Oct 2016
Is it out for eng sub yet? coz i was told it was meant to be released on the 17th and its the 20th as i post this
May 19, 2017 7:32 PM

May 2015
GangsterCat said:
the one shot manga is pretty good, but after that is just a shitty school drama. bored of it and dropped midway.

You're always wrong, it's unbelievable really.

May 19, 2017 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
Both movies are extremely overrated.
May 19, 2017 9:16 PM

Mar 2016
Kittens-kun said:
GangsterCat said:

You're totally right, I've learned to just always assume the opposite of whatever gangster says
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2017 10:24 PM

Sep 2016
Just because Kimi no Na wa. made more money doesn't necessarily mean it's better than Koe no Katachi. It just attracted more people.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2017 11:00 PM

Mar 2015
Kimi no Na wa had more screenings tho and much more publicity compared to A Silent Voice. As long as A Silent Voice has great sales then I'm happy tbh.
May 19, 2017 11:19 PM

Apr 2016
LuminousAnime said:
Is it out for eng sub yet? coz i was told it was meant to be released on the 17th and its the 20th as i post this
It actually is, you can go on 9anime.to and you'll find it. Idk if it's on any other site.
I watched it yesterday and a couple of hours later I had to watch it again haha. I think it's far better than Kimi no Na wa and I enjoyed Kimi no Na wa quite a lot.

May 19, 2017 11:42 PM

Sep 2016
Kittens-kun said:
GangsterCat said:

"wrong OPINION!!!" lol
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 20, 2017 4:11 AM
Mar 2012
R_TF said:

Are you really going to compare KnK to the highest grossing Japanese film of all time? Not really a fair comparison.
May 20, 2017 12:15 PM

Oct 2014
R_TF said:

actually, it's KyoAni, and the manga has lots of fans.
So, it's a little bit exaggerated when you said it hardly recovers production budget.
(it sells, don't worry.)

but I get your comparison:
1. as some have said here, Kimi no Na Wa has the advantage of being the first one aired.

2. Shinkai Makoto doesn't make anime regularly. He makes one when he wants one, and always takes years doing so. So you see that "fanboy volcanoes" finally exploded with Kimi no Na Wa.

3. Kimi no Na Wa's story is way simpler in essence albeit having still enough depth, which allows for shorter length with less-condensed material.
This is key in getting the hearts of non-anime watchers viewers... "the normies."

4. Most obviously: MARKETING!
From the very moment KyoAni is chosen as the studio that will adapt KnK, we're basically given insurance of a quality work, but also insurance of less market hype. Unlike some Tokyo-based studios & publishing companies, KyoAni is very devoted in keeping the "untangible quality" of their works in all aspects.

KyoAni's idealism has led to them making their own publishing company, which in turn lead to their anime post K-On!. Some good, some bad, but they don't care: KyoAni hates it if an anime committee overmilks a certain franchise (as do most of us.) If a series is well-received, they will make S1 S2 Movie that's it. if it's not or if it's just a side project, then they will only make S1. But even if it's bad, they will do their best so that their current work has better animation than their previous one.
Everything in this world must end, so they believe that a beautiful end on a timely manner is way better than living longer only to not enjoy it as much as the past.

KnK or KnNW? As an avid drama & romance anime watcher, I will say Koe no Katachi > Kimi no Na Wa.
Don't get me wrong, though: I love Koe no Katachi manga, Kyoto Animation, and Shinkai Makoto and all his works.

More topics from this board

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

18 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
Apr 29, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

701 by KushaKin-808 »»
Apr 27, 11:33 PM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.