Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2017 12:40 PM

Nov 2015
Hello,
Im planning to buy Re:Zero and NGNL light novels in my country, since every anime is really boring for me for about year already, and im reading tons of mangas neither so i want to try sth new. The question is, are the light novels as enjoyable as books are? What are the differences, and are they actually as good as animes? Could someone compare those two and tell me if they are worth buying?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2017 4:16 AM

Mar 2015
CyanideTensa said:
Hello,
Im planning to buy Re:Zero and NGNL light novels in my country, since every anime is really boring for me for about year already, and I'm reading tons of manga neither so i want to try sth new.

Of those two I'm only following NGNL and I like it about as much as the anime.

The question is, are the light novels as enjoyable as books are?

Light novels ARE books, though. How enjoyable it is will depend on you. Buy one, read it. If you like it, buy more.

What are the differences, and are they actually as good as anime?

Dude, over 90% of source material is better than its adaptations.

Could someone compare those two and tell me if they are worth buying?

If you like the story, of course it's worth buying... You're getting more of it that way.

PS: The plural of anime is anime. Same for manga.
Apr 27, 2017 4:25 AM

Apr 2016
Re:Zero is never good no matter if novel or anime, bad is just bad. Better to avoid.
Apr 27, 2017 4:42 AM

Mar 2017
Well, light novels have their own charm. And i am pretty sure that most light novels are way better than their adaptation. And so, if you are planning to buy it, i would recommend you do so. It also helps you understand what's going to happen next in the story, yes? As the sequel for Re:Zero is yet to be planned or announced.

I myself enjoyed reading light novels on my break time in college. They help me pass time while indulging in my own imagination.

However, if you're not the type of people who enjoys reading a wall of text, then don't force yourself to buy them. After all, your enjoyment is more important.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 27, 2017 6:30 AM

Nov 2015
Reading a walls of text aren't problem for me since i was reading books like crazy some time ago :)

DoubleMangekyo said:
CyanideTensa said:
Hello,
Im planning to buy Re:Zero and NGNL light novels in my country, since every anime is really boring for me for about year already, and I'm reading tons of manga neither so i want to try sth new.

Of those two I'm only following NGNL and I like it about as much as the anime.

The question is, are the light novels as enjoyable as books are?

Light novels ARE books, though. How enjoyable it is will depend on you. Buy one, read it. If you like it, buy more.

What are the differences, and are they actually as good as anime?

Dude, over 90% of source material is better than its adaptations.

Could someone compare those two and tell me if they are worth buying?

If you like the story, of course it's worth buying... You're getting more of it that way.

PS: The plural of anime is anime. Same for manga.

Should I start from the start of light novel or just continue where manga has finished?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2017 7:57 AM

Mar 2015
CyanideTensa said:
Should I start from the start of light novel or just continue where manga has finished?

IMO it's always best to start the source material from the beginning. With LNs there's always scenes/explanations/monologues that never make it into the anime adaptation. Starting from the beginning allows you to experience the story in full detail, which is one of my favourite things about reading it.
Apr 27, 2017 10:22 AM

Aug 2007
LN's are cancer, and the anime industry has been plagued by LN adaptations for the last several years. LN's are short novels for 12 year olds, they're written for that audience and that's why the writing quality and characterizations are awful.

Apr 27, 2017 11:42 AM

Nov 2015
Hias said:
LN's are cancer, and the anime industry has been plagued by LN adaptations for the last several years. LN's are short novels for 12 year olds, they're written for that audience and that's why the writing quality and characterizations are awful.

Wow, like for real or you just trying to trigger ppl? :D
You know, NGNL is based on LN and thats most enjoyable anime ive watched, not the best (but one of), but most enjoyable, ive watched it like 3 times and thats horribly rare to happen for me.

I guess you are talking about anime these days where retarded mc is followed up by 4 incredibly dumb cum dump girls :D
Apr 27, 2017 12:22 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I like 'em. They're still growing outside of Japan, though, I feel like - it seems rare that LNs get translated, and if they do, they're major series, compared to manga, which is fairly established and sees all kinds of official translations. Although YenON in America is doing very good with bringing LNs into English, I feel like, even bringing in stuff like Psycome, which has no anime and will likely never get one. Hope what they're doing kickstarts a kind of growth ._. Point in saying all of that is that buying physical seems more difficult than with something like manga, and there are many LN series - Haganai and OreImo to name a couple - where they actually only officially release the manga adaptation outside of Japan.

So yeah. I say they're worth it, but they can be a teensy bit difficult to find outside of the more popular series atm, I feel like. Unless you do scans, at which point I have no clue since I don't get into those.

Apr 27, 2017 12:51 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Light Novels are more in-depth, very detailed, and I always loved reading written stories. They do a very good job at creating an illustrated picture in your mind, which is just as good as watching any series. The NGNL LN is very good, I thoroughly like reading it and view it to be just as good as the anime. Of course it's always more appealing to watch an animated version, but the Light Novel doesn't slack off in being a good read.
Apr 28, 2017 4:46 PM

Oct 2016
So far the only light novel I've read is Decapitation: Kubikiri Cycle by Nisioisin. And I have to be honest, I thought it was pretty bad. The mysteries were okay, the characters were a mixed bag, (found the main character to be hopelessly generic and wimpy though) but my main criticism is with the writing style. Oh dear God, it was like reading bad teenage fan fiction. Just a horribly narrated, poorly paced mess with continuous and jolting paragraph breaks that don't build up to any kind of discernible style, but moreover just a haphazard way of getting the story across.

I do still have All You Need Is Kill on my shelf which I will read with an open mind, but for now, my first foray into light novels has been a very disappointing one. If I enjoy AYNIK I may give more light novels a try. But if it's just a bunch of teenage/young adult fluff aimed at people who find classic literature "boring" then count me out.
Apr 29, 2017 2:36 AM

Dec 2011
CyanideTensa said:
Hias said:

Wow, like for real or you just trying to trigger ppl? :D

He's obviously trolling. He's never read a light novel and it shows. What he said is factually inaccurate anyway. Light novels are not short*, and most labels are aimed at those in their mid-to-late teens or twenties. There are several light novel labels that are aimed at a much older demographic (MF Books' target audience is men in their 40s, for instance) but none that are aimed at a pre-teen one. Indeed the closest label that I know of is stated to not be a light novel label specifically because it is aimed at 8-12 year olds.

*Yes, your average light novel volume is shorter than your average western novel, but that western novel would be split into several volumes for a Japanese bunkobon release anyway - Harry Potter is 20 volumes long, for instance.

Soho-Jin said:
...but my main criticism is with the writing style. Oh dear God, it was like reading bad teenage fan fiction. Just a horribly narrated, poorly paced mess with continuous and jolting paragraph breaks that don't build up to any kind of discernible style, but moreover just a haphazard way of getting the story across...

Sounds like your bad experience was more a problem with the style of the translator than the series itself. Give AYNIK a try. I hope you enjoy it more.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 29, 2017 11:43 AM

Oct 2016
kuuderes_shadow said:

Sounds like your bad experience was more a problem with the style of the translator than the series itself. Give AYNIK a try. I hope you enjoy it more.

Yeah, you might be right. I guess I'm just really disappointed as I was looking forward to a new set of reading material. (And it had a couple 5 stars on Amazon) Probably doesn't help that I mostly read classic literature and not so much modern stuff. I'll give AYNIK a go in a few days when I have some time off.
May 2, 2017 1:58 PM

Jun 2015
Light novels have their charm. I've bought the Monogatari Series, it's a really good read!
May 3, 2017 10:49 AM
Aug 2016
well my brother currently started reading loight novels: Higanbana
I dont know he says its good I never tryed yet
May 3, 2017 3:20 PM

Dec 2012
It depends on the novel. I've enjoyed the ones I've read for the most part.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 12, 2017 2:46 PM

Mar 2016
I just want to give my word on this.
I've read 3 Novels mostly. Rakudai kishi no cavalry and sukasuka, and I like both. I read Vanadis, but that's been on hold since last year lol. And bits of biblia novel (which is amazing btw) and oreshura and isekai mom (tsujou kogeki)
Reading light novels can be frustrating. They're not bad, that's not what i mean. However, it frustrates how most of their adaptations don't give the source justice . I know I haven't read much, but In my opinion translating a novel into an anime is harder than translating a manga into anime, and that's probably why.
But at their core, the ones I've read are great imo. While many say there are many meh light novels, that doesn't mean there isn't good one, and if you look, you'll find them.
May 12, 2017 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
DragonSlayer_19 said:
I've read 3 Novels mostly. Rakudai kishi no cavalry and sukasuka, and I like both. I read Vanadis, but that's been on hold since last year lol. And bits of biblia novel (which is amazing btw) and oreshura and isekai mom (tsujou kogeki)
Reading light novels can be frustrating. They're not bad, that's not what i mean. However, it frustrates how most of their adaptations don't give the source justice . I know I haven't read much, but In my opinion translating a novel into an anime is harder than translating a manga into anime, and that's probably why.
But at their core, the ones I've read are great imo. While many say there are many meh light novels, that doesn't mean there isn't good one, and if you look, you'll find them.

You should try out tsukumodo antique shop since you liked biblia, it's even better imo.
May 13, 2017 6:35 AM

Mar 2016
DigitalExile said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:

You should try out tsukumodo antique shop since you liked biblia, it's even better imo.

Thanks I'll look into that in my free time.
May 19, 2017 7:25 AM

Apr 2013
Tsukumodo is more like hakomari than like biblia though. And it IS better than hakomari too.
May 22, 2017 6:56 AM

Feb 2013
you should try ISEKAI.

they're the stuff.

sorry troll.

i highly recommend :

- SEVENS
- Kino no Tabi (LN)(yes this stuff could be heavy.HEAVY)
- Rakuin no Monshou
- Arslan Senki (LN)(yes, you wait for eternity for translation, just buy it)
- find it at novelupdate if you want specific stuff
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon."

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
8 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
10 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.