Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 27, 2017 4:26 PM

Feb 2016
"Snowflake" seemed to be one of the most widely thrown around insults of 2016. And in 2017, it seems to get chucked at almost anyone who gives a hoot about anything now.

What do you make of it? Are you sick of snowflakes? Are you sick of people using the word snowflake? Overused & sheeple-like, or a stroke of brilliant & untiring genius? Etc.
You decide!

(And yes, this thread is absolutely pointless)
Feb 27, 2017 4:45 PM

Oct 2015
I always wonder if this phrase came originally from Fight Club or not.

Anyway, you're the first person I've heard use it in almost six months.
[left] (◕‿◕✿)
Feb 27, 2017 5:06 PM

Feb 2016
@Lo-Lee-Ta I have seen people using Snowflake as an insult more as time goes by (but that's just my personal experience). The first time I heard it was last year by an ex-UKIP party member (complaining about something or other) but I have seen its use escalate a lot these past couple of months in particular.

It seems to get thrown a lot towards anyone who feels passionate about the environment, animal welfare, racism or equal rights etc (but I have also seen it been used against millennials in particular a lot).

To me, the insult seems very sheeple-like in its movement (and is basically just a new version of the insult "crybaby") and I don't much care for it.
Feb 27, 2017 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
For some people I knew (especially teenagers in their weird phases), who weren't tired of placing themselves above everyone else and trying to convince everyone how special they are. These people actually exist and some were arrogant little brats. ^^"
Feb 27, 2017 5:14 PM

May 2013
okay i must be a not-so-up-to-date teenager because i have never heard of this term being used.

what does it mean?
Feb 27, 2017 5:17 PM

Aug 2013
It's definitely overused, but I've used it myself. When I think "snowflake," I think about those types of people who pride themselves on the mental illnesses that they supposedly suffer from (often self-diagnosed ones that they probably don't even have), or other conditions that make them stand out from the crowd. They have histrionic tendencies, and do all kinds of bizarre things in order to build their shallow identity. It would be endearing if they actually possessed these quirks, but there are actual eccentric people, and then you have the imitators, the latter of which are painfully easy to identify. These people are the special snowflakes. It's especially prevalent among younger people, who are still trying to figure out who they are, and how they can be unique. It's a phase, or at least it should be. The reason why I mentioned mental illnesses in particular is because I think it's sad that these people treat them like trivial things, when there are people who actually suffer from them. That really annoys me, but they can take anything and turn it into their identity really. I'd call it self-flanderization.
MoogFeb 27, 2017 5:58 PM
Feb 27, 2017 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
Ussesa said:
okay i must be a not-so-up-to-date teenager because i have never heard of this term being used.

what does it mean?

whenever i hear it "special" is always put in front of it. you might've heard the phrase that no two snowflakes are the same, well its from that. So like on mal for example i usually see it used when someone starts a forum with "Am I the only one who..."
Feb 27, 2017 5:22 PM

Feb 2016
Ussesa said:

what does it mean?

(From what I have seen) "Snowflake" is generally used to describe;

1. Someone who is considered to be too sensitive to people's opinions.
2. Someone with Leftist idealogy (care's about the environment, equal rights etc).
3. Someone who is perceived to be a "Social Justice Warrior".
4. "Generation Snowflake" = A derogatory term for Millennials.
5. "Special Snowflake" = a person with supposedly unique characteristics or attributes (that entitle them to privileged treatment or particular consideration).

It seems to be an insult particularly favoured by Trump supporters.
Feb 27, 2017 5:28 PM

May 2013
Tokis86 said:
(From what I have seen) "Snowflake" is generally used to describe;

1. Someone who is considered to be too sensitive to people's opinions.
2. Someone with Leftist idealogy (care's about the environment, equal rights etc).
3. Someone who is perceived to be a "Social Justice Warrior".
4. "Generation Snowflake" = A derogatory term for Millennials.
5. "Special Snowflake" = a person with supposedly unique characteristics or attributes (that entitle them to privileged treatment or particular consideration).
It seems to be an insult particularly favoured by Trump supporters.

ooh i see. thanks for the explanation. didn't know there were so many ways to use the word :O

CuriousRobby9 said:

whenever i hear it "special" is always put in front of it. you might've heard the phrase that no two snowflakes are the same, well its from that. So like on mal for example i usually see it used when someone starts a forum with "Am I the only one who..."

oh i see. i actually have heard people use the term in conjunction with "special". i guess i just never really thought about it.
Feb 27, 2017 5:29 PM

Apr 2014
a person that lies about mental illness
"i cut my finger nails every other day and have them filed every 6 hours. it must be my OCD"

other definitions too but i personally don't use it
Feb 27, 2017 5:37 PM

Mar 2016
Use it on the people who make up genders, mainly.
Truly trying too hard to be different than they are.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Feb 27, 2017 5:56 PM
Feb 2016
The way I see it, snowflakes are generally people who go out of their way to be too special just to get attention. Has the word been overused? Of course it has. But hey, politics has never been known for moderation.

Feb 28, 2017 1:06 AM

May 2015
A lot of people use it to seem tough. I'd say they show how deeply offended they are and that makes for a good laugh.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 28, 2017 1:18 AM

Feb 2017
Idk how snowflake sounds as an insult, since the word itself is nice and beautifull.

Anyways this thing about trans-bi-zi-a-b-c-d-f non-binary gender etc.
Idk why there is so much hype around it lately. In my opinion let people be who they are and feel like. But at the same time dont force other people or society to do evrything to make them feel ''comfortable''. And i mean by that with stuff like: #they-re life matters. #No genders 2k17 #No gender bathrooms. Kind of campaigns

Then im like ok bruh, you going to far stay in your dreamland. At that point it looks like attention seeking. (especially those youtube vids)
BallardoFeb 28, 2017 1:27 AM
Feb 28, 2017 1:54 AM

Jun 2015
I've only heard "aren't you a special snowflake" or things like that, and only on movies.

I didn't realize it was being used currently. It's not as offputting as the insults I hear a lot.

Feb 28, 2017 2:11 AM

Sep 2009
I've seen it used, but it's kind of a bland euphemism, rather than an insult.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 28, 2017 12:47 PM

Mar 2008
I avoid using it if I can. It's overused and mostly seems to be used as a slur against any one that cares about individual expression or self formed opinion.
Feb 28, 2017 12:54 PM

Jan 2015
Inbred is the only insult you should use.

I think inbred is the best insult.

Feb 28, 2017 1:10 PM

Mar 2013
no, but its the same as cuck now too
its just trendy to say poeple parrotting each other lol
Feb 28, 2017 1:14 PM

Feb 2016
As an insult, as in "special snowflake" I've used it to refer to people a few times in my life, but I don't recall ever directly insulting someone by calling them a "special snowflake."

I suppose another variation of "snowflake" may be a derogatory slur against queer looking men, in which case, I've never used it and I don't think it's a particularly good insult. It may still be insulting to people, but it's pretty dumb to call someone a snowflake. Might as well call them a cupcake.

Like any insult, it had a general meaning and can be a very apt insult if applied correctly.

Unfortunately, many people abuse the term and it has lost some of its original punch. Much like the word "cuck," which I never thought would enter the popular discourse.

There are good and bad uses for words, I urge you to be your own judge of that matter.

SaucyFeb 28, 2017 1:17 PM

Feb 28, 2017 1:49 PM

Oct 2016
I actually have barely heard this used before.
DrilhouetteMar 18, 2017 1:12 PM
Feb 28, 2017 6:30 PM

Feb 2016
@AllenVonStein

Most threads on MAL are pretty pointless.

(It's purpose is nothing more than curiosity)
Feb 28, 2017 6:32 PM

Dec 2015
There should be a "never heard of it" option.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 28, 2017 6:40 PM

Sep 2007
I'd rather be a snowflake than Cheeto dust.

Feb 28, 2017 6:40 PM
Oct 2012
Saucy said:
I suppose another variation of "snowflake" may be a derogatory slur against queer looking men, in which case, I've never used it and I don't think it's a particularly good insult. It may still be insulting to people, but it's pretty dumb to call someone a snowflake. Might as well call them a cupcake.

"Snowflake" is not a slur against homosexuals. It describes young adults who have been so sheltered that upon meeting a person with a differing opinion they immediately flee to their "safe space". It has since expanded to apply to any person who is self righteous, but instead of arguing their opinion, immediately becomes emotional/hysterical.

As such it is non-gender/sexual specific insult.

And chances are, if one haven't heard/ or read it used recently, the person probably IS one.
Feb 28, 2017 6:42 PM

Mar 2015
I've used it, it's a great descripton of some people who absolutelly need to stand out and be unique, priding themselves on anything from mental illnesses to weird gender identities.

Some people throw it around way too much though.
Feb 28, 2017 6:44 PM

Feb 2015
The fuck? Ppl really use it to insult others?

ppl have gone low, especially in some social media...

God... Somebody needs to save them...

MAL needs to be in some social media, leak the baity threads there... xD
Feb 28, 2017 6:44 PM

Oct 2012
Sir_Chasm said:
I've used it, it's a great descripton of some people who absolutelly need to stand out and be unique, priding themselves on anything from mental illnesses to weird gender identities.

What he said. Oh shit did I just assume his gender?
Feb 28, 2017 6:45 PM

Mar 2015
Democracy said:
Sir_Chasm said:

I identify as an A-10 Warthog, my pronouns are Brrrt Brrrrrrrrrrrrrt and Brrrrrtself.
Feb 28, 2017 6:46 PM

Feb 2016
Takuan_Soho said:

"Snowflake" is not a slur against homosexuals. It describes young adults who have been so sheltered that upon meeting a person with a differing opinion they immediately flee to their "safe space". It has since expanded to apply to any person who is self righteous, but instead of arguing their opinion, immediately becomes emotional/hysterical.

As such it is non-gender/sexual specific insult.

And chances are, if one haven't heard/ or read it used recently, the person probably IS one.

I've heard it used that way, hence why I said may be.

As for the last part. No.

Feb 28, 2017 6:47 PM

Oct 2012
Sir_Chasm said:
Democracy said:

I identify as an A-10 Warthog, my pronouns are Brrrt Brrrrrrrrrrrrrt and Brrrrrtself.

I'm so sorry, please forgive my ignorance. I haven't used Tumblr in a few months.
Feb 28, 2017 6:49 PM

Jul 2015
well I've never used "snowflake" by itself but something along the lines of "you're a SPECIAL snowflake"
Feb 28, 2017 6:54 PM
Oct 2012
Saucy said:
I've heard it used that way, hence why I said may be.

As for the last part. No.

Ah, Irony...... No wait, you're serious?

First, just because someone used it that way doesn't mean it means that the word means that, it means you should given him (98% possibility) a dictionary. Word meanings don't change because someone used it wrong.

Second, the bolding on "may be" sort of makes me think you "may be" one :-)
Feb 28, 2017 7:18 PM

Feb 2016
Takuan_Soho said:

Ah, Irony...... No wait, you're serious?

First, just because someone used it that way doesn't mean it means that the word means that, it means you should given him (98% possibility) a dictionary. Word meanings don't change because someone used it wrong.

Second, the bolding on "may be" sort of makes me think you "may be" one :-)

Do you not understand what the words "may be" mean? I've heard it used that way many times, I just don't know how widespread it is. I really hope I don't need to explain what the words "may be" mean.

Also, don't see at all how that makes me a "snowflake."

You sure you know the definition, because you seem confused.

Feb 28, 2017 7:28 PM
Oct 2012
Saucy said:
Do you not understand what the words "may be" mean?

Yes, it "may be" possible that someone calls blue "red", but that doesn't mean the definition of blue now incorporates the color red.

"Snowflake" has a specific meaning. You can check a dictionary to understand what it means. It makes absolutely no sense to suggest it is an anti-gay slur (unless you are suggesting that homosexuals are somehow delicate and weak).

Saucy said:
Also, don't see at all how that makes me a "snowflake."

You sure you know the definition, because you seem confused.

If I know a definition, then by definition I am not confused about its use. Again, you must be joking: the more you respond the more closely you are adhering to the "overly sensitive, relies on emotion instead of making a rational response.

It's like you are trying to put on a clinic demonstrating what a snowflake is.
Feb 28, 2017 8:38 PM

Feb 2016
Takuan_Soho said:

Yes, it "may be" possible that someone calls blue "red", but that doesn't mean the definition of blue now incorporates the color red.

"Snowflake" has a specific meaning. You can check a dictionary to understand what it means. It makes absolutely no sense to suggest it is an anti-gay slur (unless you are suggesting that homosexuals are somehow delicate and weak).

If I know a definition, then by definition I am not confused about its use. Again, you must be joking: the more you respond the more closely you are adhering to the "overly sensitive, relies on emotion instead of making a rational response.

Is this a serious response?

Well, let's check the dictionary, shall we?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snowflake

But first, colors have an objective definition. They don't change. The color "red" was "red" in 1581 and it will remain "red" in the year 3167 (should we make it there). Now, let me condescendingly explain to you how words work, and actually do it successfully, because you seem to be very confused on how we assign meaning to words. The actual definition of the word snowflake has never been static, unless you're talking about the physical snowflake.

But since you don't trust me and think you're so much smarter, take it from an actual dictionary.

"In Missouri in the early 1860s, a 'snowflake' was a person who was opposed to the abolition of slavery—the implication of the name being that such people valued white people over black people. This use seems not to have endured."

"In recent times, though, the word has been causing a ruckus. It's developed a new and decidedly less pleasant use as a disparaging term for a person who is seen as overly sensitive and fragile"

"the meaning at first was a bit softer, referring mostly to millennials who were allegedly too convinced of their own status as special and unique people to be able (or bothered) to handle the normal trials and travails of regular adult life."

"In the 1970s snowflake was a disparaging term for a white man or for a black man who was seen as acting white. "

"It was also used as a slang term for cocaine"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-less-lovely-side-of-snowflake

Oh? What's that? There is evidence that groups of people used the term "snowflake" differently in different contexts thereby adding multiple definitions to a single world? By golly gee! It seems words can have different meanings at different times. Who would have thought?

Words evolve over time. The dictionary is a repository of the evolving meanings. I never claimed that's what the word meant, I simply stated that it's possible some people used it that way, just like they use the word "fruitcake" in colloquial senses and just like they use "snowflake" in colloquial senses.

The dramatic irony is that Marriam-Webster don't even include the slang definition of snowflake, so your appeal to authority is what exactly? Twitter? Urban Dictionary? Great.

For someone who claims to be "rational," you sure don't seem to grasp even the definition of rational. Ask yourself, what sounds more like an emotional response? Actually talking about the definition of the word or attacking the other person by saying hilarious things like:

more you respond the more closely you are adhering to the "overly sensitive, relies on emotion instead of making a rational response.

I don't know, it seems like you've got more of a snowflake complex than I do.

Now for this next part, pretend I'm whispering this part in a very condescending manner, one asterisk means normal whisper, two means extra condescending whisper:

*If you're going to accuse me of being emotional (which by the way isn't part of the definition of "snowflake" unless you're making things up on the go) rather than rational, then you may want to make sure you don't sound emotional as well, otherwise you sound a bit hypocritical. Also, how are you so good at detecting emotion over text? Do you have some sort of psychic ECG or could you feel my aura as I violently flipped my desk and nested into the corner of my room?*

**Oh, I get it. You can't detect emotion. You just think ad hominem is a good argument strategy.**

...So much for being rational, huh?

Feb 28, 2017 8:48 PM

Jul 2014
I don't use it since I much prefer tailoring my insults.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Feb 28, 2017 9:31 PM
Oct 2012
Saucy said:

I concur, you no longer are... Hence you are a snowflake.
Feb 28, 2017 11:00 PM

Feb 2016
Takuan_Soho said:
Saucy said:

I concur, you no longer are... Hence you are a snowflake.

Well I am fragile and unique.

Hence, you are correct.

Good day, sir.

Mar 1, 2017 4:27 PM

Aug 2013
It's just a shitty buzzword used by righties. Anyone who isn't super right wing and doesn't automatically kiss Trump's ass is called a snowflake or cock by righties.
Mar 1, 2017 4:32 PM

Jan 2017
It's odd to me to see "snowflake" as an insult. My mom used to call me her snowflake as a child because each and every snowflake is unique and beautiful. However, I have heard it being used as an insult but the only times I have been exposed to that was in sarcastic situations - never in serious arguments to actually try to hurt the other's feelings.

im weeb trash

Mar 1, 2017 4:58 PM

Dec 2014
I don't remember of using it, but in a way kinda makes sense, like you're too "special" or too "different".
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Mar 2, 2017 12:29 AM

May 2015
SecretWings said:
It's odd to me to see "snowflake" as an insult. My mom used to call me her snowflake as a child because each and every snowflake is unique and beautiful. However, I have heard it being used as an insult but the only times I have been exposed to that was in sarcastic situations - never in serious arguments to actually try to hurt the other's feelings.

People use it on people they perceive trying too hard to look unique. It's the word for 'poser' if you were alive and on the internet in 2006.

'Poser' had a serious meaning, since it also implied trying to look tough and rebellious. 'Snowflake' is making fun of people considered weird.
Mar 2, 2017 3:20 AM

Feb 2014
its a good word to use for someone hopefully it never dies out
Mar 3, 2017 7:40 AM
Jun 2016
It's died out but I have used it and don't regret doing so to people who think they're entitled or special, usually because they have a mental illness, and as someone who has had mental illnesses I know that you can't just expect to have everything handed to you on a silver platter and that you have to actually work for things.
Mar 4, 2017 4:38 AM

Aug 2014
I have not used it.

But i think its a cute insult anyway, unlike cuck which is a strong insult and became really popular recently.

Any example of a snowflake? any popular figure?
Mar 4, 2017 5:17 AM

Feb 2016
Dr-Eyes said:
I have not used it.

But i think its a cute insult anyway, unlike cuck which is a strong insult and became really popular recently.

Here is a whole host of examples in this article on it;

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/nov/28/snowflake-insult-disdain-young-people .

I've noticed that because so many right wing people used it as an insult against left wing people for getting riled up over their opinions, now many left wingers are using it against right wing people as an ironic insult against them for when they can't handle the left's opinions etc.

Mod Edit: Deleted Quote.
SoulEaterQUEENMar 5, 2017 10:13 AM
Mar 5, 2017 1:13 AM

May 2015
Tokis86 said:
Dr-Eyes said:
I have not used it.

Here is a whole host of examples in this article on it;

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/nov/28/snowflake-insult-disdain-young-people .

I've noticed that because so many right wing people used it as an insult against left wing people for getting riled up over their opinions, now many left wingers are using it against right wing people as an ironic insult against them for when they can't handle the left's opinions etc.

Mod Edit: Deleted Quote.

Oh man, can anyone keep up with all these layers of irony?
SoulEaterQUEENMar 5, 2017 10:13 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
18 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

29 by cyandaqil »»
35 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

38 by cody »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.