Forum Settings
Forums

Does japanese rly act like that in case of deaths/murders?

New
Jan 28, 2017 1:38 PM
Sep 2014
Hello could someone who somewhat understands japanese communities better shed a light to a question that has been occurring to me many times now? The latest case is in Jigoku Shoujo season 3 ep 25 where a man who drives a bus causes accident because the breaks weren't working and people die (him included).
After the accident the bus company releases a press release were they tell people that there weren't any faults in the bus and maintenance was done accordingly and proceeds to shift the blame to the driver without really accusing him but because they won't tell otherwise. I guess in this case the speaker was just a common salary man and told what the top wanted him to say that is not the case i'm making here.
The case is that afterwards the bus drivers wife and daughter gets really harsh rebates by the society and even the child gets bad treatment in school mainly due to parents telling that don't speak with her or don't even look at her. They weren't in any fault and still the society behaves like they were the ones who caused the accident.

My question is does people really in japan act like that in these kinds of cases? It's kinda reoccurring case in many similar situations in many animes so i have to think that there really is some base to them.
Jan 28, 2017 7:25 PM

Feb 2015
I dunno about you OP, but I'm happy not actually witnessing a real crime...
Jan 28, 2017 7:35 PM

Dec 2014
err...please don't take whatever he/she said as the universal truth or something...though I am not a japanese, some of them would beg to differ..say,just because I'm an American doesn't mean I don't care about the importance of virginity...well, you get the point...every people think in their own different ways so @15poundfish generalizing that Japanese people are collectivists and have inferior moral foundation than the west, like what he/she just stated, is kind of...I don't know...narrow minded, I think?

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
ArdanazFeb 5, 2017 11:33 AM
Jan 28, 2017 9:12 PM

Jun 2015
I don't know what you're thinking OP, but don't take anime as a real life standard.

Jigoku Shoujo is basically a revenge series, so don't take what's happening in it to be a realistic reaction that people do irl.
Jan 29, 2017 12:51 AM
Sep 2014
Yea i know that anime isn't real life standards but when it happens in so many animes in kinda similar premises you somewhat begin to think that it has some real life premises. (Not saying it's true for everyone).

And i know it's kind of narrow minded view point and probably especially younger generation with the internet and everything think differently.
Jan 29, 2017 1:41 AM

Jan 2017
Do people act like they don't give a shit when they witness a murder as in AC games? Honestly I can't see the logic of this thread.
"Now, come here. So long as we hold hands, we won't be separated."
Jan 29, 2017 2:01 AM
Sep 2014
azoth212 said:
Do people act like they don't give a shit when they witness a murder as in AC games? Honestly I can't see the logic of this thread.

Well the point kinda was that they did not witness anything. Everything they knew was from the news and everyone just based on that blamed everything on the family as a whole and caused the whole family to die. As i said previously i don't take anime as a real life standards but this same kind of scene happens in many animes so i just wondered is there some kind a basis to it.
Jan 29, 2017 2:39 AM

Sep 2016
i dont know about vicarious liability ruling there
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 29, 2017 4:58 AM

Feb 2014
azoth212 said:
Brb said:
I don't know what you're thinking OP, but don't take anime as a real life standard.

Jigoku Shoujo is basically a revenge series, so don't take what's happening in it to be a realistic reaction that people do irl.

Could you both fuck off if you have nothing meaningful to say? The guy asked legit question and he stated in his FIRST post that he DOESN'T take everything in anime as a real life standard thats why he asked in the first place... Yet you come here and type shit probably without even reading his full post...

"Saving face" is huge in Asian culture generally, so I wouldn't be surprised if shifting blame was common, but obviously we need to hear it from someone who has some rl experiences.
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jan 29, 2017 5:06 AM

Mar 2015
slovak125 said:
azoth212 said:
Brb said:

Could you both fuck off if you have nothing meaningful to say? The guy asked legit question and he stated in his FIRST post that he DOESN'T take everything in anime as a real life standard thats why he asked in the first place... Yet you come here and type shit probably without even reading his full post...

"Saving face" is huge in Asian culture generally, so I wouldn't be surprised if shifting blame was common, but obviously we need to hear it from someone who has some rl experiences.

"shifting blame" is anything but "saving face"... this is coming from a country that really taking high about pride that will commit "sodoku"just simply because doing shameful failure...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 29, 2017 5:13 AM
Jan 2017
Bad people exist everywhere OP, that has nothing to do with culture, religion or anything else except being human.
Jan 29, 2017 5:15 AM

Jun 2015
slovak125 said:
azoth212 said:
Brb said:

Well then, I'll bite.

First before spouting utter nonsense, do think before you post. Shifting blame (especially using the media at that) is already a damning event to use if you are a big company. There are also laws that prevent leaking of personal information, ergo the driver's name would have been withheld in this setting.

Now, second, the "don't talk to person x" cliche rarely happens irl, and even if it does, it is almost completely not the parents' fault as they are not really aware of their children's companions most of the time. Especially in a fast paced community like Japan.

Third, have you seen Jigoku Shoujo? It's an anime where people damn others to hell for every whit of offense that's directed at them.

Ergo, the whole premise was unsound in the first place.
Jan 29, 2017 5:18 AM

Feb 2016
That sounds pretty normal?
A supposed killer and his family known from the media will be treated badly. People will believe more in the official company's report and that guy is the one who was directly behind the incident.
Jan 29, 2017 5:19 AM

Feb 2014
Kuma said:

"shifting blame" is anything but "saving face"... this is coming from a country that really taking high about pride that will commit "sodoku"just simply because doing shameful failure...

I'm not really sure what you mean by "sodoku". I said Asian culture in general, not only Japanese. If you meant seppuku, than how many people do it these days? Then, there are some nasty rumors about japanese juridical system.

And shiftgin blame IS saving face, however you want to spin it. For example in China, corporations whether small or big will often give you tons of excuses and blame contractors, weather, star constellations instead of admitting they fucked up.
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jan 29, 2017 5:28 AM

Jan 2008
Not really. This is a common sotry in revenge fantasies, but IRL it doesn't go down like that. 1st off, they wouldn't release the drivers name that easily. 2nd while most companies will say it's not their fault, the Japanese don't tend to shift blame that easily, not because of some code of honor, but because they preffer to pretend that there isn't any blame at all. 3rd, the whole shunning thing in school rarely happens because of the parents.
Jan 29, 2017 5:39 AM

Mar 2015
slovak125 said:
Kuma said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by "sodoku". I said Asian culture in general, not only Japanese. If you meant seppuku, than how many people do it these days? Then, there are some nasty rumors about japanese juridical system.

And shiftgin blame IS saving face, however you want to spin it. For example in China, corporations whether small or big will often give you tons of excuses and blame contractors, weather, star constellations instead of admitting they fucked up.

don't generalize asian culture especially in things like this... japanese really populare being strict compare to rest asian culture... i put seppuku culture as example how japan used to be, and that value still continous till now...

it's common thing to do for them to resign from their position if they got scandal, even it's not proven yet because they are being shameful to name they bear.. just recently,
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/japanese-ad-firm-ceo-resigns-worker-commits-suicide-article-1.2929029

however, they will also doing everything to protect pride the name they bear, even it mean blaming their own or another or not blaming anyone (which what we now talking about)... the face need they save is their colective face, not personal face...

shifting blame is doesn't save anything, even shamful thing to do especially if it proven it's their own fault... just recently, honda recall thousand of their cars and admit it's their fault than blaming another...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3835373/Japan-motor-giant-Toyota-forcedc-recall-cars-faulty-brakes-reports-deaths.html

they have really amazing resposibility sense and taking high pride of it... for example, train companies will beg for forgiveness simpy because late even for few minute....
http://www.traveller.com.au/sorry-for-the-one-minute-delay-why-tokyos-trains-rule-2udv1

"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 29, 2017 9:43 AM
Sep 2014
Wow i was away for a moment and the thread exploded =) Thank you all for your kind responses, i just was wondering the idea for sometime because usually when something is occurring in fiction (be it tv series, book etc...) people base it in something, past happenstance being most common :)
Jan 29, 2017 2:35 PM
Jun 2015
thefreeloader said:
[@15poundfish generalizing that Japanese people are collectivists and have inferior moral foundation than the west, like what he/she just stated, is kind of...I don't know...narrow minded, I think?

Their moral foundation is worse though by being collectivists. Western influence is making them more individualistic but there still a lot that are stuck to some of their collectivist mindsets that makes them not as moral as the west. Their justice system is completely corrupt, their interrogation techniques would be considered illegal in the west and don't even have miranda rights. Collectivism is the reason why people will take blame for actions they have not committed, the bystander effect being more common, their horrible workplace conditions, extreme conformity leading to higher suicide rates, gender inequality, etc. Their child scarcity epidemic is largely due to their outdated traditions and poor economy and still have not completely adapted to the times.
Jan 29, 2017 2:38 PM

May 2010
Does anyone remember the episode of GITS when Togusa was dying in the middle of a crowded street and no one gave a fuck
Jan 29, 2017 3:49 PM

Oct 2014
thefreeloader said:
Kuromizue said:

Thank you for your reply.

I kinda understand but it just feels weird that how they even got to such a point, i guess you really would have to know some history to know that.
err...please don't take whatever he/she said as the universal truth or something...though I am not a japanese, some of them would beg to differ..say,just because I'm an American doesn't mean I don't care about the importance of virginity...well, you get the point...every people think in their own different ways so @15poundfish generalizing that Japanese people are collectivists and have inferior moral foundation than the west, like what he/she just stated, is kind of...I don't know...narrow minded, I think?

they are more collectivists that most societes in the west that is a well known and researched facet of the japanese society
now if their sense of honor and neccesity to adjust to the society before their own individual interest is some kind inferior moral value compared to what we have here is a completely baseless and narrow minded mentality originating probably from looking at the japanese society with the west sense of values
Jan 29, 2017 6:47 PM
Jul 2018
15poundfish said:
Japanese are collectivists and have inferior moral foundation than the west. They will often lie to save face for their company or family. This also leads to their corrupt justice system, outdated harmful traditions, child scarcity, etc.

I agree that collectivism is not always a good thing, but individualism is not always a good thing either. It's much the same as how freedom is not always a good thing (freedom to rape, freedom to murder, etc.), but restriction is not always a good thing either (restrictions on speech, forced labour, etc.)

Also, most so called "individualists" today only claim they are such because they are collectivists following the modern obsession with excessive individualism. It is true that we ought to pursue individualism in ways that it has been oppressed in times past, but not that we should take this to the extreme and liberalise everything.
Jan 29, 2017 10:18 PM
Jun 2015
Faederwulf said:
15poundfish said:
Japanese are collectivists and have inferior moral foundation than the west. They will often lie to save face for their company or family. This also leads to their corrupt justice system, outdated harmful traditions, child scarcity, etc.

I agree that collectivism is not always a good thing, but individualism is not always a good thing either. It's much the same as how freedom is not always a good thing (freedom to rape, freedom to murder, etc.), but restriction is not always a good thing either (restrictions on speech, forced labour, etc.)

Also, most so called "individualists" today only claim they are such because they are collectivists following the modern obsession with excessive individualism. It is true that we ought to pursue individualism in ways that it has been oppressed in times past, but not that we should take this to the extreme and liberalise everything.
There is no threat of individualism becoming extreme because very few people want anarchy. You can't really be a collectivist obsessed with individualism because they are contrasting philosophies. One emphasizes empowerment for the individual( individual rights and freedoms) and other for a group dynamics (stronger group cohesion at the cost of the individual and justice). Some individualism philosophies can be harmful or short lived like moral nihilism and hedonism but the philosophy that is the culmination of western core values is probably secular humanism plus deity if you follow a religion.
Jan 29, 2017 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
15poundfish said:
Faederwulf said:

There is no threat of individualism becoming extreme because very few people want anarchy. You can't really be a collectivist obsessed with individualism because they are contrasting philosophies. One emphasizes empowerment for the individual( individual rights and freedoms) and other for a group dynamics (stronger group cohesion at the cost of the individual and justice). Some individualism philosophies can be harmful or short lived like moral nihilism and hedonism but the philosophy that is the culmination of western core values is probably secular humanism plus deity if you follow a religion.

There are various elements in which we ought to have individualism, and others that require collectivism. A balance is always needed - the biggest flaw of present-day "westernised" nations is the presence of unnecessary personal freedom. Our laws don't fight adultery, and even accommodate for it (such as paternity tests being banned in France), incredibly loose public dress laws, no laws against miscegenation, etc. - individual selfishness shouldn't be catered to. It is largely pushed by those who wish to divide and conquer. It is wrong to neglect the individual in favour of the group, but it is also wrong to neglect the group in favour of the individual.

Jan 30, 2017 12:01 AM

Nov 2009
1) Frankly, I fail to understand why "collectivism" can lead to "harassing the relatives of a person who did something wrong". That's pure stupidity, not caring about the collective as a whole.
In fact, harassing the person who did something wrong is not good for the collective either. Everybody makes mistakes, and while I can understand that the relatives of the people the driver inadvertently killed might be unwilling to forgive him, other people need not hold any deep grudges.

2) No, shifting the blame on the driver is not collectivism. It's pure selfishness that prevents proper measures from being implemented to minimize harm in the future. Moreover, it builds interpersonal strife that weakens the collective.
Maybe I'm used to thinking in bigger terms than the Japanese, but in ex-USSR, people rarely think in categories of people smaller than "all ethnic russians/ukrainians/whatever".

3) Faederwulf, as usual, I strongly disagree with your views, and find them horribly outdated.
I also wish to reduce the number of laws to the necessary minimum, and not burden the state with enforcing any group's views on morality. It isn't doing a good enough job enforcing the laws that we really need already. And I feel that every law not enforced properly undermines the authority of the law, and makes the country roll further into corruption. Thus, I find public dress laws to be unnecessarily restrictive.
Jan 31, 2017 5:37 PM
Jun 2015
Faederwulf said:

There are various elements in which we ought to have individualism, and others that require collectivism. A balance is always needed - the biggest flaw of present-day "westernised" nations is the presence of unnecessary personal freedom. Our laws don't fight adultery, and even accommodate for it (such as paternity tests being banned in France), incredibly loose public dress laws, no laws against miscegenation, etc. - individual selfishness shouldn't be catered to.

I don't see how the current dress laws and interracial marriages are a negative result of individualism. The paternity test being banned in france without a court order was done because of a bullshit collectivism excuse "Fathers are determined by society not by biology so when need to preserve families". Nothing to do with individualism.

Faederwulf said:

It is largely pushed by those who wish to divide and conquer. It is wrong to neglect the individual in favour of the group, but it is also wrong to neglect the group in favour of the individual.

The people that want to divide and conquer don't want individualism they want to push their own form of collectivism on others. The far left are not liberals, they are actually collectivists that are pushing their ideology on others and reflects in their actions in limiting free speech, censoring art and their double standards on individual rights. The only part of collectivism that is needed is enough for society to function and prosper like a strong family unit, individual welfare and values that lead to the least harm toward other individuals.
Jan 31, 2017 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
15poundfish said:
Faederwulf said:

There are various elements in which we ought to have individualism, and others that require collectivism. A balance is always needed - the biggest flaw of present-day "westernised" nations is the presence of unnecessary personal freedom. Our laws don't fight adultery, and even accommodate for it (such as paternity tests being banned in France), incredibly loose public dress laws, no laws against miscegenation, etc. - individual selfishness shouldn't be catered to.

I don't see how the current dress laws and interracial marriages are a negative result of individualism. The paternity test being banned in france without a court order was done because of a bullshit collectivism excuse "Fathers are determined by society not by biology so when need to preserve families". Nothing to do with individualism.

Faederwulf said:

It is largely pushed by those who wish to divide and conquer. It is wrong to neglect the individual in favour of the group, but it is also wrong to neglect the group in favour of the individual.

The people that want to divide and conquer don't want individualism they want to push their own form of collectivism on others. The far left are not liberals, they are actually collectivists that are pushing their ideology on others and reflects in their actions in limiting free speech, censoring art and their double standards on individual rights. The only part of collectivism that is needed is enough for society to function and prosper like a strong family unit, individual welfare and values that lead to the least harm toward other individuals.

Dress laws, interracial marriages, paternity tests being banned and so forth are directly tied in to the negative side of individualism - selfishness. Race mixing for example, is caused by the selfish desire of an individual to adhere to their lust without thinking of the bigger picture, how the offspring will fare, the impact the offspring will have on society, and so on. You are correct that the people that want to divide and conquer don't want the positive aspects of individualism, but they do want the negative aspects of it, such as selfishness, as such aspects make people easy to control. In other words, they want everyone to be misled by their selfish individual desires by creating a collective (group-think) movement to enforce this. It does not make use of individual talent or thought, that much is certain, but it does rely on individual desire.

I don't think I've disagreed with anything you've said, this is simply a matter of semantics.
Jan 31, 2017 5:56 PM
Jun 2015
flannan said:
1) Frankly, I fail to understand why "collectivism" can lead to "harassing the relatives of a person who did something wrong". That's pure stupidity, not caring about the collective as a whole.
In fact, harassing the person who did something wrong is not good for the collective either. Everybody makes mistakes, and while I can understand that the relatives of the people the driver inadvertently killed might be unwilling to forgive him, other people need not hold any deep grudges.

Please don't go to court because we will lose money for our incompetence as a bus service. If you go to court because of our incompetence you're an anti-social asshole because we might have to fire the bus driver and others at the company because of bad pr. Please have consideration of others instead of being selfish and trying to seek justice for our mistake.

flannan said:

2) No, shifting the blame on the driver is not collectivism. It's pure selfishness that prevents proper measures from being implemented to minimize harm in the future. Moreover, it builds interpersonal strife that weakens the collective.
Maybe I'm used to thinking in bigger terms than the Japanese, but in ex-USSR, people rarely think in categories of people smaller than "all ethnic russians/ukrainians/whatever".

Mr. Bus driver, even though it was the lazy CO that didn't do his job we will make you take the blame for it. Just take it in the ass because it might hurt our companies image and others working at the company. Just be considerate of others and don't be so selfish.
Jan 31, 2017 6:15 PM
Jun 2015
Faederwulf said:

Dress laws, interracial marriages, paternity tests being banned and so forth are directly tied in to the negative side of individualism - selfishness. Race mixing for example, is caused by the selfish desire of an individual to adhere to their lust without thinking of the bigger picture, how the offspring will fare, the impact the offspring will have on society, and so on.

Having a kid is purely a selfish act whether you are race mixing or not. The reason why there are negatives in race mixing is because there are still a lot of racist people out there and can make it harder on your child growing up in some regions. Its the same as wanting all your boys to be tall because they will have an advantage in all facets of life. If everyone that had kids were trying to min max advantages beauty, height, color, etc. there would be not be a lot of humans.

Faederwulf said:

You are correct that the people that want to divide and conquer don't want the positive aspects of individualism, but they do want the negative aspects of it, such as selfishness, as such aspects make people easy to control. In other words, they want everyone to be misled by their selfish individual desires by creating a collective (group-think) movement to enforce this. It does not make use of individual talent or thought, that much is certain, but it does rely on individual desire.
I don't think I've disagreed with anything you've said, this is simply a matter of semantics.

All desires begin from the individual it seems like what you are saying is a truism about human nature than something against individualism. Collectivism roots in our desire to be social beings, procreate, belonging, purpose, etc. This in some ways are important for our survival but through individualism we learned how to be better than our natural state of being leading to easier more interesting and fulfilling lives than hunter gathers. Collectivists are not hunter gathers anymore but they still have the group think that makes them more dangerous than individualism.
15poundfishJan 31, 2017 6:20 PM
Jan 31, 2017 6:54 PM

Dec 2016
All fiction is an exaggerated reflection of reality. So no, the reaction would likely not be as severe as it is in the show. But similar situations do occur, and they take place around the world, not just in Japan.
Jan 31, 2017 8:04 PM
Jul 2018
15poundfish said:
Faederwulf said:

Dress laws, interracial marriages, paternity tests being banned and so forth are directly tied in to the negative side of individualism - selfishness. Race mixing for example, is caused by the selfish desire of an individual to adhere to their lust without thinking of the bigger picture, how the offspring will fare, the impact the offspring will have on society, and so on.

Having a kid is purely a selfish act whether you are race mixing or not. The reason why there are negatives in race mixing is because there are still a lot of racist people out there and can make it harder on your child growing up in some regions. Its the same as wanting all your boys to be tall because they will have an advantage in all facets of life. If everyone that had kids were trying to min max advantages beauty, height, color, etc. there would be not be a lot of humans.

Faederwulf said:

You are correct that the people that want to divide and conquer don't want the positive aspects of individualism, but they do want the negative aspects of it, such as selfishness, as such aspects make people easy to control. In other words, they want everyone to be misled by their selfish individual desires by creating a collective (group-think) movement to enforce this. It does not make use of individual talent or thought, that much is certain, but it does rely on individual desire.

All desires begin from the individual it seems like what you are saying is a truism about human nature than something against individualism. Collectivism roots in our desire to be social beings, procreate, belonging, purpose, etc. This in some ways are important for our survival but through individualism we learned how to be better than our natural state of being leading to easier more interesting and fulfilling lives than hunter gathers. Collectivists are not hunter gathers anymore but they still have the group think that makes them more dangerous than individualism.

Having a child is not a selfish act - it's necessary for the survival of both humans and any given race. If someone does their best to ensure their children are happy and healthy, their actions aren't selfish. Race mixing has far more negatives than just how the children will be treated:
http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_race_mixing
I would link to rightpedia, but unlike metapedia, rightpedia is genuinely "racist" for lack of a better word.

I would argue that not all desires begin with the individual, and that there is an inherent sense of loyalty to in-groups, but it's certainly a matter of debate. A group desire is none-the-less a group (collectivist) desire, even if it stems from person interest. Much like a network of computers, individuals unify for certain purposes, often even neglecting themselves for the sake of the group. The cells in our body work together, and I would certainly be worried if I discovered they were forming an individualist movement inside my body and that they no longer wanted to work in unison.

If collectivism and individualism are two sides of a spectrum, different matters ought to be placed in different places on the spectrum - there needs to be balance, rather than extremism.
Jan 31, 2017 8:14 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
is this a serious question? anime isn't real life... DUH...
Jan 31, 2017 8:21 PM

Jul 2016
It's not exclusive to Japan, I know a kid in high school who got beaten up because his dad was high up in AIG during the 2007 banking crisis
Jan 31, 2017 8:50 PM

Jul 2015
I cant answer your question, but in the end its about the scapegoat system. And sadly this still exists in every country, more or less.
Jan 31, 2017 11:57 PM

Nov 2009
15poundfish said:
flannan said:

Please don't go to court because we will lose money for our incompetence as a bus service. If you go to court because of our incompetence you're an anti-social asshole because we might have to fire the bus driver and others at the company because of bad pr. Please have consideration of others instead of being selfish and trying to seek justice for our mistake.

flannan said:

Mr. Bus driver, even though it was the lazy CO that didn't do his job we will make you take the blame for it. Just take it in the ass because it might hurt our companies image and others working at the company. Just be considerate of others and don't be so selfish.

I cannot do that. Because I have to guarantee that you learn your lesson, and will not kill people in the future. It's all for your own good, please understand it.
The well-being of the nation is every citizen's responsibility, that is, my responsibility, and I cannot selfishly assume somebody else will take care of the problem.
Please confess your sins truthfully to the court, learn your lesson and re-organize your usage of transport systems according to safety rules. If I had any reasonable doubts that your negligence was accidental, and not an attempt to earn more money than you should at the cost of my people's safety, I would insist on your summary execution as a traitor.

Faederwulf said:
Dress laws, interracial marriages, paternity tests being banned and so forth are directly tied in to the negative side of individualism - selfishness. Race mixing for example, is caused by the selfish desire of an individual to adhere to their lust without thinking of the bigger picture, how the offspring will fare, the impact the offspring will have on society, and so on. You are correct that the people that want to divide and conquer don't want the positive aspects of individualism, but they do want the negative aspects of it, such as selfishness, as such aspects make people easy to control. In other words, they want everyone to be misled by their selfish individual desires by creating a collective (group-think) movement to enforce this. It does not make use of individual talent or thought, that much is certain, but it does rely on individual desire.

The offspring will fare very well indeed. For example, become a president of the United States of America (Barack Obama), or Russia's best poet (Aleksandr Sergeevich Pushkin).
In general, I find your twisted desire for inbreeding to be destructive to humanity in the long term.
Feb 1, 2017 1:27 AM
Sep 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:

Sigh as i have couple times said before that i don't think anime is real life... but as RP59 upper put it nicely all fiction is an exaggerated reflection of reality so just thought is this more of a thing in japan because it's seen in many animes, but i guess it's easier to show in the fiction of anime than programs that show the "so called" real life premises.

Why would someone who's searching for real life even watch anime or any series or read books for that matter? Doesn't everyone want something else than real life when they are watching/reading things? The only thing called real life is the life you are living right now.
KuromizueFeb 1, 2017 1:48 AM
Feb 1, 2017 2:01 AM

Aug 2011
I'd say your example is on the extreme side. No doubt it might happen here and there, but for the most part if it was a true accident companies might come out and say: "He will be dearly missed and we will conduct an investigation on the vehicle in question yadda yadda, we send our regards to friends and family and will continue to increase the rate of proper safety inspections." But they won't outright publish their names to the public. It''s none of anyone's business who it was, just that it happened.

But when it comes to suicides, the companies will just say, "He was a hard worker and always put his job before anything else. We wish the family well in these hard times." But they won't admit the man was working 80+ hour weeks and got almost no time off so in this case yeah they'll do it to save face since it is indeed their fuck up, but there's no point if it was an honest accident.

It's honestly a case to case situation. Anime takes things to the extreme though, so I wouldn't say what happens in anime mirrors real life exactly.

Feb 1, 2017 2:16 AM

Jan 2015
There times fiction exaggerating things supposedly try to invoke audience's emotion more. Not mean it couldn't behave like that in rl but again

la critique de l'intention pure
Feb 1, 2017 6:46 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Kuromizue said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Sigh as i have couple times said before that i don't think anime is real life... but as RP59 upper put it nicely all fiction is an exaggerated reflection of reality so just thought is this more of a thing in japan because it's seen in many animes, but i guess it's easier to show in the fiction of anime than programs that show the "so called" real life premises.

Why would someone who's searching for real life even watch anime or any series or read books for that matter? Doesn't everyone want something else than real life when they are watching/reading things? The only thing called real life is the life you are living right now.

aren't there so many other non anime instances of this kind of thing that you could ask about?
Feb 1, 2017 7:01 AM
Jun 2015
Faederwulf said:

Having a child is not a selfish act - it's necessary for the survival of both humans and any given race. If someone does their best to ensure their children are happy and healthy, their actions aren't selfish.

If having a child was not a selfish act why aren't people quick to adopt kids but they are quick to have their own kids? Why is adultery considered one of the worst things that can happen in a sexual relationship? Its entirely a selfish act, otherwise cuckolding would not have a stigma or be considered traumatic.
Faederwulf said:

Race mixing has far more negatives than just how the children will be treated:
I would link to rightpedia, but unlike metapedia, rightpedia is genuinely "racist" for lack of a better word.

If you look at some of the studies they lack meaningful data to come to a conclusion that can be taken more than a grain of salt. No control group, no isolation for economics, parents, cultural region, etc. The negatives of mixed race marriages have to do with the culture of people in those regions, if you live in a region with lots of racists being mixed race is a negative because the racists of all races will ostracize mixed race for not looking the part.

Faederwulf said:

I would argue that not all desires begin with the individual, and that there is an inherent sense of loyalty to in-groups, but it's certainly a matter of debate. A group desire is none-the-less a group (collectivist) desire, even if it stems from person interest. Much like a network of computers, individuals unify for certain purposes, often even neglecting themselves for the sake of the group. The cells in our body work together, and I would certainly be worried if I discovered they were forming an individualist movement inside my body and that they no longer wanted to work in unison.

The desire begins with the individual because most people have a desire for belonging and to socialize. There are few people that fall outside of that category. Collectivism works so well because appeals to humans basic nature and exploits it to the fullest. Collectivists are huge on conformity and are much more keen in socially ostracizing others that don't fit the mold. It takes more thought to tolerate an outsider than an insider and the ones that are more collectivist are the ones leading cultural wars. an example is Islam, there is no way they will get along with the west because they are extremely barbaric in their moral values and their doctrine only others to co-exist unless they are dominated and subjugated.
Faederwulf said:

If collectivism and individualism are two sides of a spectrum, different matters ought to be placed in different places on the spectrum - there needs to be balance, rather than extremism.

There needs to be little of both, but collectivism is much lower on the spectrum.
15poundfishFeb 1, 2017 7:08 AM
Feb 1, 2017 7:59 AM
Sep 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:
Kuromizue said:

aren't there so many other non anime instances of this kind of thing that you could ask about?

If you haven't noticed this site is mal=myanimelist and i posted this thread under anime discussion so why i should make a thread about something other than anime?
Feb 1, 2017 8:07 AM

Aug 2014
Well, I haven't seen the anime yet, but from what I can deduce is that they are blaming the girl for the death, and that the people are rather superstitious in regards to that. I'm not exactly sure how superstitious the everyday japanese person is though, but I doubt it would really happen. it's more of a trigger for the plot than anything else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 1, 2017 8:16 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Kuromizue said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

If you haven't noticed this site is mal=myanimelist and i posted this thread under anime discussion so why i should make a thread about something other than anime?

what i mean is this... would you ask the same question about anything else fictitious? if not, why ask about anime?
Feb 1, 2017 8:21 AM
Sep 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:
Kuromizue said:

what i mean is this... would you ask the same question about anything else fictitious? if not, why ask about anime?

Well if something had come up i might have made, but this one was the 1st one that came up when i started to think about it once again.
Feb 1, 2017 9:26 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Kuromizue said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Well if something had come up i might have made, but this one was the 1st one that came up when i started to think about it once again.

ok well i can't argue with that, anyway, i wouldn't ever compare the way a fictional character acts to a real person
Feb 1, 2017 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
Kuromizue said:
Hello could someone who somewhat understands japanese communities better shed a light to a question that has been occurring to me many times now? The latest case is in Jigoku Shoujo season 3 ep 25 where a man who drives a bus causes accident because the breaks weren't working and people die (him included).
After the accident the bus company releases a press release were they tell people that there weren't any faults in the bus and maintenance was done accordingly and proceeds to shift the blame to the driver without really accusing him but because they won't tell otherwise. I guess in this case the speaker was just a common salary man and told what the top wanted him to say that is not the case i'm making here.
The case is that afterwards the bus drivers wife and daughter gets really harsh rebates by the society and even the child gets bad treatment in school mainly due to parents telling that don't speak with her or don't even look at her. They weren't in any fault and still the society behaves like they were the ones who caused the accident.

My question is does people really in japan act like that in these kinds of cases? It's kinda reoccurring case in many similar situations in many animes so i have to think that there really is some base to them.

You have to do your research on the social construct in Japan. It forcibly encourages young adults to get their shit together by the time high school is finished. It is the epitome of what I would call a communist country, because by the time you find your "dream job", you're stuck with that for life. With all that pressure, though, the children are also victims of the broken society that calls itself a "democracy (Japan has one of the lowest rates in the Gender Equality index)."

I have watched documentaries of all kinds and Japan is no exception. In one documentary about Japanese youth in particular, peer pressure is commonplace. One kid was told to jump off a roof because of something that may damage his self-esteem and reputation and by the time he jumped off, he broke his vertebrae. Afterwards, the kid got revenge by killing the bullies and was sent to prison.

There are many more details that I can mention, but these are the tip of the iceberg. Don't listen to what other people say. Japan is NOT a place you would want to live in.
Feb 1, 2017 1:59 PM
Sep 2014
ExpertoCrede said:
Kuromizue said:

You have to do your research on the social construct in Japan. It forcibly encourages young adults to get their shit together by the time high school is finished. It is the epitome of what I would call a communist country, because by the time you find your "dream job", you're stuck with that for life. With all that pressure, though, the children are also victims of the broken society that calls itself a "democracy (Japan has one of the lowest rates in the Gender Equality index)."

I have watched documentaries of all kinds and Japan is no exception. In one documentary about Japanese youth in particular, peer pressure is commonplace. One kid was told to jump off a roof because of something that may damage his self-esteem and reputation and by the time he jumped off, he broke his vertebrae. Afterwards, the kid got revenge by killing the bullies and was sent to prison.

There are many more details that I can mention, but these are the tip of the iceberg. Don't listen to what other people say. Japan is NOT a place you would want to live in.

Yea well i weren't thinking of moving to Japan seen as i'm living in Finland one of the most well doing country in many cases, but have ta tell ya still the suicide rate is one of the highest as is in Japan too xd
Feb 1, 2017 2:11 PM
May 2015
ExpertoCrede said:
Kuromizue said:

I always knew Japanese society is fucked up but that second paragraph sounds like something that you'd see in a comedy where they make fun of the Asian/Japanese culture. I thought that was a thing of a past but that still happens in Japan even to this day? Jesus....

"Japan has one of the lowest rates in the Gender Equality index"
Lol, you'd think that index would be a bit higher since anime shows us that women are pretty much treated fairly and equally as men. I.e, Female characters in leadership positions, female characters in commanding position, and etc.

Feb 1, 2017 2:37 PM

Dec 2007
You're making a valid point here...I don't think in such an event things would unfold quite like in the anime but if you think about it fiction is more or less a product of reality...

I used to live and work in Japan and there was a case of a guy who was caught with a joint and got in prison for some time, after he got out he was fired from his job and none of his friends or acquaintances wanted to do anything with him anymore. Nothing serious but shows how things can be finished for someone just like that

A slightly unrelated case is when a middle aged guy got caught with few plants MJ in his home, I heard it on the news and they didn't mention any exclusive details (they can use his last name in the best case, Mr Kato/Sato/Tanaka/Yamada etc, could've been anyone), so unrelated people will never know what actually happened

So yeah they are collectivist to a point of disgust sometimes and all but in any case anime stuff is exaggerated and more fiction than reality
Feb 3, 2017 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
flannan said:
15poundfish said:

I cannot do that. Because I have to guarantee that you learn your lesson, and will not kill people in the future. It's all for your own good, please understand it.
The well-being of the nation is every citizen's responsibility, that is, my responsibility, and I cannot selfishly assume somebody else will take care of the problem.
Please confess your sins truthfully to the court, learn your lesson and re-organize your usage of transport systems according to safety rules. If I had any reasonable doubts that your negligence was accidental, and not an attempt to earn more money than you should at the cost of my people's safety, I would insist on your summary execution as a traitor.

Faederwulf said:

The offspring will fare very well indeed. For example, become a president of the United States of America (Barack Obama), or Russia's best poet (Aleksandr Sergeevich Pushkin).
In general, I find your twisted desire for inbreeding to be destructive to humanity in the long term.

I don't support inbreeding, but I don't support outbreeding either. Obama was a terrible president (although this much is irrelevant to race, there hasn't been a good US president in a long time), as for Pushkin - isn't he only 1/8th black?

I would also like to point out that I don't believe there are no good mixed-breed individuals, just that the majority of mixed-race individuals have inherent problems (the degree of the problem depends on how different the races are, a North Indian/European crossbreed will typically be much more healthy than a Aboriginal Australian/European crossbreed, for example). A close friend of mine is Half-Japanese Half-European, he's a good man, but he has non-social problems as a result of being mixed (most HAPA people seem to complain about these problems, just go to /r/hapas).
Feb 3, 2017 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
15poundfish said:
Faederwulf said:

Having a child is not a selfish act - it's necessary for the survival of both humans and any given race. If someone does their best to ensure their children are happy and healthy, their actions aren't selfish.

If having a child was not a selfish act why aren't people quick to adopt kids but they are quick to have their own kids? Why is adultery considered one of the worst things that can happen in a sexual relationship? Its entirely a selfish act, otherwise cuckolding would not have a stigma or be considered traumatic.
Faederwulf said:

Race mixing has far more negatives than just how the children will be treated:

If you look at some of the studies they lack meaningful data to come to a conclusion that can be taken more than a grain of salt. No control group, no isolation for economics, parents, cultural region, etc. The negatives of mixed race marriages have to do with the culture of people in those regions, if you live in a region with lots of racists being mixed race is a negative because the racists of all races will ostracize mixed race for not looking the part.

Faederwulf said:

The desire begins with the individual because most people have a desire for belonging and to socialize. There are few people that fall outside of that category. Collectivism works so well because appeals to humans basic nature and exploits it to the fullest. Collectivists are huge on conformity and are much more keen in socially ostracizing others that don't fit the mold. It takes more thought to tolerate an outsider than an insider and the ones that are more collectivist are the ones leading cultural wars. an example is Islam, there is no way they will get along with the west because they are extremely barbaric in their moral values and their doctrine only others to co-exist unless they are dominated and subjugated.
Faederwulf said:

There needs to be little of both, but collectivism is much lower on the spectrum.

How does any of that relate to selfishness? People are quicker to have kids than adopt them because they want to pass on their genes, but beyond this (which is natural rather than selfish), adopting a child can cause problems between the child being different from their adoptive parents. Adultery is considered one of the worst things in a relationship because it's selfish and wretched, I don't understand what you're getting at.

In what way would a control group be relevant? I'm not saying you're mistaken, but I need some specification. As for cultural groups, economics, and other matters coming into play - these things have been debunked time and time again. The poorest states in the US for example are all white states, and the poorest towns are white towns which have much lower crime rates than richer black areas.

As I'm saying regarding collectivism, it's a sliding scale and everything needs to fall on a certain point. A balance is always needed, somewhere between collectivism and individualism - focus on the many, and focus on the individual.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

28 by vasipi4946 »»
41 seconds ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
15 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.