Forum Settings
Forums

Benefits in watching anime with speed more than the normal speed

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 18, 2017 12:40 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah! Gotta go fast! Sanic! Speed is good!
Jan 18, 2017 12:59 PM

Apr 2016
I'm watching the island episodes of Nadia slightly faster. They're just filler episodes, only really watching them just so I can say I've seen them. If I end up watching it again I'll skip them.

But apart from that, speeding up anime is pretty pointless.
Jan 18, 2017 5:51 PM
Mar 2016
DixyNL said:
If you are speeding stuff up just to watch more and more in a short amount of time is that not defing the purpose of enjoyment? if you enjoy something you want to make it last. And watching a show on normal speed can feel to short from time to time.
Nice point. But it assumes that watching more in a short amount of time is not enjoyable. It could be true if it's you or other else but it's not true to all people. Personally, it's usually good to savor anime in normal speed, but I believe it's better to savor good scenes in anime in normal speed many times, while leaving other parts with faster speed especially on the scene whose purpose is to just show conversations.
So what is the thought behind speeding it up ? That you can see more and more ? honestly i think you are ether additic to watching so you want more at a higher pace, or you need to see so much that you can find some pride in yourself by telling that you watched all that.
Maybe more on the addict side. Though nowadays I don't normally speed up because I also want to enjoy the audio. I only speed up (or down, as in case of Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan) when I don't like the pacing the director dictates.
Either way that is not what enjoyment is about. Honstely enligt me about this is dont get it at all, not from a scientific point of enjoyment view nor personal experience.
Personally, I am impatient on the story so I want to cut to the chase but I don't want to skip seconds because for me every conversation counts. I only do the speeding up when I put my satisfaction of my impatience on wanting to know what happens next at high priority.
So I wanna ask a question. Is enjoyment of anime all about adherence to normal speed? I mean, you can just speed it up or down reasonably when you feel like the speed is not helping you enjoy the show.
Tranquill said:
Besides that, everything else is supposed to be watched and experienced at its own pace.
True. But everybody also has a right not to blindly accept what the director wants about the pacing and watch it in their own pace. You may think it could be detrimental for their enjoyment.
I won't even go into discussing how wrong it is to do any skipping or fast pacing to a shorter anime as it basically loses all the charm and you simply can't pick up all the important details or grow to like a character, let alone understand it or try to put yourself in their position.
The purpose of my fast pacing is because I don't want to skip. I don't want to lose all the details. On fast pacing, you can get track to everything. Just don't speed it too much that you can't comprehend everything happening. And I just can't fast pace on Tatami Galaxy and sometimes Mononoke. I will really lose the details. When I fast pace in Mononoke, I sometimes pause. They are just still shots after all. Thus because of pausing, I spent more time watching the show than just strictly watching it in purely normal speed. Though I gave up pacing up because the normal pacing IMO is so good.
Other thing you mentioned is impatience - people who truly like watching anime enjoy being patient for something important as those things are what anime is truly about, using their own imagination, trying to solve mysteries and problems on their own. I find myself pausing the anime sometimes or re-watching the scene, thinking about if i understood everything correctly or if i would do things differently. If you are, however, really that impatient, then google it and keep watching at normal pace.
Personally, I'm actually exercising patience. But as a compensation in exercising that patience (not skipping, not spoiling), I fast pace. And when I see a good scene, I revert back to normal speed, or pause, or return to the start of the good scene. There's nothing different.
People who decide to watch an anime at a higher speed are those who care only about increasing their anime statistics, not overall experience and enjoyment.
Not me. If I see that normal pacing is unnecessary to that scene, (eg. purely conversation) then I break the normal pacing rules. If I deem it necessary, then I obviously revert back to normal pacing.
Kurniawan_Ktr said:
For me, I have no reason to speed up a show.
I have many. Though I only do it on long-running shounen shows nowadays.
*Saving time?, there's still tomorrow, no?. I enjoyed when I can immerse to the shows I watched, so dialogue, atmosphere, and sounds are important things.
I enjoy shows in a different way. But when I deem dialogue, atmosphere, and sounds necessary for a certain anime, I watch at normal speed.
Beside, surely I can watch 240 minutes anime in 200 minutes. And 40 minutes for extra episodes (extra enjoyment?). But I doubt the level of enjoyment watching that anime in 240 minutes long (normal speed) will be the same as watching it in 200 minutes (speed up), since the quality of that anime will be reduced as it got speed up. Even if the extra 40 minutes (speed up) being added to the 200 minutes experience (speed up), I doubt it will be as "enjoyable" as 240 minutes (in normal speed).
I get what you mean. However in my case, there are anime that I believe does not lose its quality when it's sped up. You and I can believe what we want.
"Number of completion" is not a determinant of "watching experience" enjoyment, while the quality can be a factor.
So true. Preach it.
Also, ignore the enjoyment level, if watching anime means enjoying myself, doesn't it mean watching 12 episodes in 240 minutes is just the same as watching 15 episodes in 240 minutes?
No. You learn more things in 15 eps than 12 eps. (Though really I don't watch 15 eps in 240 minutes. It's too fast.)
So, whichever the case, where's extra enjoyment? I don't see where's that extra enjoyment comes from but from the amount of episode watched. Means people who do that might only care about his/her completion.
This is a bad argument when we dissect into it. Because when you equate 12eps in 240 mins and 15eps in240 mins, it means 3 eps on the 15 eps are not enjoyable. I'm happy when I complete a show. But usually I rewatch parts of it in normal speed.
*Comfort from impatience?, I naturally loved slow pace shows. But yeah, sometimes, I also feel like I wanted to pass the show fast, but I think it's more because I was tired of watching and need some rest. I understand if some people can't enjoy such shows though. But speed it up? Does it really changed their opinion about the show? (means more enjoyable?) Or does it just make the show passed fast?
Personally, when I want to pass the show fast, I speed up. Why not drop? Because I still have hope on that show. I don't want to give up on the show. I would rather give up the pacing of the show than to give up the whole show. Hope. That's the keyword.
From where I am standing, I can't understand why people watched anime faster if only "they didn't do it for the sake of completing the show". . .
Personally, I want to complete everything I started. I don't want to give up on them. Though I give up on the pacing, I don't give up on the show itself. And there's nothing wrong in completing the show, as long as they truly comprehended what the show is about, they sincerely want to comprehend everything on the show, and they don't whine about the quality of the show, which they themselves destroyed.
Jan 18, 2017 9:26 PM

Feb 2015
I would never speed up the show lol. I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it, feeling as if I was rushing through it as if were a chore.

Plus the slightly sped up animation would throw me off, even during talking scenes. Also the voices are dreadful to listen to sped up imo
LunarianJan 18, 2017 9:31 PM
Jan 18, 2017 9:28 PM

Mar 2013
crx07 said:
About everything...

I want to make something clear, i'm not someone who believes in ''right" and "wrong" as concepts for things much greater, let alone the simple subject such as this one.

I tend to avoid these kind of direct discussions because people become too ignorant and unwilling to reshape their own beliefs no matter how many valid arguments you offer them, but let me try and help you by pointing out something you might have overlooked - you contradict yourself way too often. You say you are ''inpatient on the story", then you say you are "exercising patience", you claim how "everybody also has a right not to blindly accept what the director wants about the pacing and watch it in their own pace", yet you go around quoting people trying to convince them of how your way is the right way.

People would reach for all sorts of arguments to justify their own beliefs, no matter how unimportant the subject is or how negligible the difference between their opinion is. You would rather go for a faster pace while pausing and re-watching some of the major scenes, stating that more often than not, you spend even more time than an actual episode lasts, yet you claim one of the benefits of watching anime faster pace is saving time. Indisputable fact is that an anime should be watched the way it is, because it's made like that for a reason. No offense to those who might feel that way after reading what i'm about to say, but i honestly commend those who are capable of reading everything while fast pacing anime and yet have evident trouble at using grammar and spelling properly in here, so i can't help but believe they aren't able to truly comprehend the given discussion while watching twice or thrice as fast as others do.

You made this topic as an open discussion, asking for people opinions, as you wanted them to tell you if this post you made is nonsensical, but given the way you try to convince them otherwise, is that really what you wanted to ask ? Because i somehow feel you believe everyone should adopt your fast-paced way of watching. If you understand that everyone has a right to do things as they deem fit, you already know the answer. So we face the problem without definite solution, people who watch anime in the most widely accepted way don't have to offer any argument to explain themselves, while nobody can forbid you to do as you please and as such, we are simply at a dead end.

Finally, i want to point this out, as you asked for each person to state their own opinion. For all it's worth, people who change the pace of an anime will never earn the same recognition from me as those who don't and every argument they have in doing so is nothing short of an excuse in my eyes.
Patiently waiting for the best day of my life, the day when i die.
Jan 18, 2017 10:12 PM

Feb 2013
Tranquill said:
No offense to those who might feel that way after reading what i'm about to say, but i honestly commend those who are capable of reading everything while fast pacing anime and yet have evident trouble at using grammar and spelling properly in here, so i can't help but believe they aren't able to truly comprehend the given discussion while watching twice or thrice as fast as others do.
reading, writing, listening and speaking are the 4 different language skills, rated separately in ESL
"twice or thrice" is also an exageration.. hope it was deliberate
Tranquill said:
I tend to avoid these kind of direct discussions because people become too ignorant and unwilling to reshape their own beliefs no matter how many valid arguments you offer them
[...]
For all it's worth, people who change the pace of an anime will never earn the same recognition from me as those who don't and every argument they have in doing so is nothing short of an excuse in my eyes.
it sounds like you are unwilling to reshape your own beliefs too :V
Jan 18, 2017 10:30 PM
Oct 2016
just watch it normally lol.

if you're watching anime just to be able to say you watched it (which is assumed due to you stating that it 'saves time") i would do the opposite.

I watch anime bc its a time killer and its just enjoyable lmao so i kinda don't need to rush anything.
but if you want to change the sound effects, the voice acting, the scenes that were created to portray a deep emotion, then thats your choice.

In all honesty, i think the pacing is created for a reason. And thats why people usually tend to watch it at normal speed.
Jan 18, 2017 10:38 PM

Nov 2014
Actually in the end, just do whatever you want.

I personally don't do it because the BGM is pretty important to building an atmosphere for me.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 18, 2017 10:46 PM

Mar 2013
romagia said:
Yet another one searching for pointless discussion

I don't understand in what way are you connected to a person who made this topic and why you simply felt the need to try and start a fight with me over this by offering a sarcastic remark as i have not made any attempt to start a discussion with you, but i'll offer you an explanation just this once.

I'm fully aware of what are language skills consisted of, i don't need a lecture. However, i don't believe you invested enough time into understanding how all these are connected. To put it as simple as i can, knowing words and the way they sound and the way they are spelled offers great help in reading speed, especially to those who don't speak English as their native language. Twice or thrice is not an exaggeration, i have seen a profile here from a guy who's stating he's watching anime at 3x speed using VLC player, it is, however, just a mere example.

As i have stated in my previous post, people who watch anime the way it's meant to be watched do not have to question their way of watching or offer any argument as to why they do so as they are simply following the rules set by those who made it.

I have nothing else to add and i believe this is one of the most pointless discussions i have led lately, so i will retire from the further conversation.
Jan 18, 2017 11:04 PM

Sep 2014
I guess this type of thread is becoming more and more common.

I'm anti-speeding your way through an episode/anime. The last thread about this was someone speeding through dialogue just to get to the action, which I find completely stupid. Here is a hint if you want to save time just don't watch at all.

Also I read somewhere in this thread that if you save time you can get more episodes in. I disagree with that, If I'm really enjoying something I want to enjoy it as long as possible. If I'm "saving" 4 minutes every episode on a 25 episode series that I really enjoy. Then by the time I finished it 100 minutes of possible entertainment would be gone. To me if I'm enjoying something, then it is not a waste of time. So I see no point in attempting to "save" time while enjoying something.

I also think the speeding would ruin the BGM and disrupt the atmosphere. Probably distorting the VAs as well.

Like someone said in this thread, You don't speed up music or you don't run through museums. If you're not enjoying that type of medium, then why bother with it. The only time I catch myself speeding through things is on youtube videos when I want the information quick to get done with it. When I'm enjoying a video I'm watching on youtube I don't speed through it.

At the end of the day it is your choice to do what ever, I don't see any advantage in it other than trying to get your stats up though.
Jan 19, 2017 12:19 AM

Mar 2016
crx07 said:
I have many. Though I only do it on long-running shounen shows nowadays.

I enjoy shows in a different way. But when I deem dialogue, atmosphere, and sounds necessary for a certain anime, I watch at normal speed.

I get what you mean. However in my case, there are anime that I believe does not lose its quality when it's sped up. You and I can believe what we want.

So true. Preach it.

No. You learn more things in 15 eps than 12 eps. (Though really I don't watch 15 eps in 240 minutes. It's too fast.)

This is a bad argument when we dissect into it. Because when you equate 12eps in 240 mins and 15eps in240 mins, it means 3 eps on the 15 eps are not enjoyable. I'm happy when I complete a show. But usually I rewatch parts of it in normal speed.

Personally, when I want to pass the show fast, I speed up. Why not drop? Because I still have hope on that show. I don't want to give up on the show. I would rather give up the pacing of the show than to give up the whole show. Hope. That's the keyword.

Personally, I want to complete everything I started. I don't want to give up on them. Though I give up on the pacing, I don't give up on the show itself. And there's nothing wrong in completing the show, as long as they truly comprehended what the show is about, they sincerely want to comprehend everything on the show, and they don't whine about the quality of the show, which they themselves destroyed.

Well, I think there's a missunderstanding here. I was assuming enjoyment correlated to "quality", the higher quality means the higher enjoyment level. In this case, I also was assuming watching anime in a faster speed will reduce the quality of said anime. I didn't said 3 episodes on the 15 episodes are not enjoyable. I was just saying watching 15 episodes in 240 minutes (speed up) is not as enjoyable as watching it in a normal speed which is 12 episodes in 240 minutes, because by speeding it up, it will reduced the quality which could affected the level of enjoyment, based on my assumption. But if you think my assumption is not usually the case, then I have no problem with it. In the end, quality is only means a perceived quality.

True, you can learn more things by watching more episodes, but does it necessarily bring more enjoyment to you?. If so, doesn't it also mean we will miss some information that we may learn by sped up the anime?

You said that you enjoy the show you watched in different way. It may be the reason I can't comprehend what you are trying to say.

But well, I think you made your argument contradicted here. You agreed that the "Number of completion" is not a determinant of "watching experiences" enjoyment. Yet, you make it like you enjoy more when you watched more anime/episode by speeding the anime up. I think enjoyment from a show and satisfied feeling after completing a show are different things. And I think you made it sounds like you seek for satisfied feeling after completing a show more than enjoyment from the anime itsealf. It also affirmed my argument that people who speed up anime they watched cares only about their completion number or for the sake of completing it.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with completing a show. But, I can't "understand" the benefits you mentioned here. They are make sense I agree, but I see no reason to do that. I am not saying speeding up a show is wrong. There's nothing wrong with that if you think so. After all, you are the one who experiencing your experiences. And yeah, people may have reasons for why they speed up their anime that I don't understand yet.
Kurniawan_KtrJan 19, 2017 4:26 AM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Jan 19, 2017 12:24 AM

Oct 2013
everyone's free to watch how they want but i tried speeding up once and i personally found it less enjoyable :/
Jan 19, 2017 5:38 AM

Oct 2015
crx07 said:

So what is the thought behind speeding it up ? That you can see more and more ? honestly i think you are ether additic to watching so you want more at a higher pace, or you need to see so much that you can find some pride in yourself by telling that you watched all that.
Maybe more on the addict side. Though nowadays I don't normally speed up because I also want to enjoy the audio. I only speed up (or down, as in case of Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan) when I don't like the pacing the director dictates.
Either way that is not what enjoyment is about. Honstely enligt me about this is dont get it at all, not from a scientific point of enjoyment view nor personal experience.
Personally, I am impatient on the story so I want to cut to the chase but I don't want to skip seconds because for me every conversation counts. I only do the speeding up when I put my satisfaction of my impatience on wanting to know what happens next at high priority.
So I wanna ask a question. Is enjoyment of anime all about adherence to normal speed? I mean, you can just speed it up or down reasonably when you feel like the speed is not helping you enjoy the show..

First thanks for you trying to explain your philosophy on your end. I am just gonna answer from my point of view, if thats ok.

The thing is, there are different kind of shows. There are also shows whom experiment with different speeds (recently occult nine). They are trying to set an ambiance, with that they are trying to get you compelled to the story. Other shows whom are "slower paced" like Shiki or Shinsekai yori, also chose to be on that speed and to go with that ambiance. There is a reason for this.

The creator has a certain mind set while making these shows, whether it be for entertainment or trying to make you think about live or just getting on the feel train. The entire show is made up to experience this feeling that the creator set out for you, for your enjoyment. Now in my personal opinion when you are taking the whole concept of the show, and ripping it out of context with speed manipulation, you are purposely defining the very definition of what the creator intended.

There is just no way you can experience something as a whole when you are taking something someone else has made for a certain way of enjoyment out of context. By doing so you are simply not admiring the purpose of the anime, nor respecting the time and soul the creator has put in it. Because you are making everything enjoyable on your own terms whereas the show is not made on your terms. And in my personal opinion (as someone who had addictions to certain things in te past) making it so that you can absorb more for the sake of yourself and therefore destroying a main purpose of someone else his creation, is in fact addictive behaviour. If you simply don't like the pacing or the slow dialogue, then it's not for you.

That is my point of view.
DixyNLJan 19, 2017 5:41 AM
Jan 19, 2017 8:42 AM
Mar 2016
Tranquill said:
crx07 said:
About everything...
but let me try and help you by pointing out something you might have overlooked - you contradict yourself way too often. You say you are ''inpatient on the story", then you say you are "exercising patience",
They are not contradictions if they are not treated in the same sense. I am ''inpatient on the story" in the sense that I want to know what will happen next. But I am "exercising patience" in the sense that I don't want to drop the show.
you claim how "everybody also has a right not to blindly accept what the director wants about the pacing and watch it in their own pace", yet you go around quoting people trying to convince them of how your way is the right way.
I'm not trying to convince that my way is the right way. I just want to convince them that even they don't like watching in fast pace, it is not a stupid thing (at least in my case), and it can be rationalized in a way.
People would reach for all sorts of arguments to justify their own beliefs, no matter how unimportant the subject is or how negligible the difference between their opinion is. You would rather go for a faster pace while pausing and re-watching some of the major scenes, stating that more often than not, you spend even more time than an actual episode lasts, yet you claim one of the benefits of watching anime faster pace is saving time.
I assume you say that I'm contradicting about saving time here. No, I don't. Whether I fast-pace or normal-pace, I still pause and re-watch good scenes. The amount of time added for rewatching is the same. The added time for pausing is a bit more, but the difference is negligible. So there's still saved time here.
Indisputable fact is that an anime should be watched the way it is, because it's made like that for a reason.
Are you sure that you are "not someone who believes in ''right" and "wrong""?
And personally, I don't really fast-pace when I deem that the anime is like a Mononoke or a Tatami Galaxy, where directional pacing seemed important.
No offense to those who might feel that way after reading what i'm about to say, but i honestly commend those who are capable of reading everything while fast pacing anime and yet have evident trouble at using grammar and spelling properly in here, so i can't help but believe they aren't able to truly comprehend the given discussion while watching twice or thrice as fast as others do.
It's a good point, but with problematic assumptions. I sometimes did watch twice as fast, but only on the convo or clearly empty scenes just to stretch up the episode into 24 minutes. But when I cannot keep up with the convo, I slow down. I don't want to sacrifice convo details just to speed up. It defeats the purpose of me watching anime.
You made this topic as an open discussion, asking for people opinions, as you wanted them to tell you if this post you made is nonsensical, but given the way you try to convince them otherwise, is that really what you wanted to ask ? Because i somehow feel you believe everyone should adopt your fast-paced way of watching. If you understand that everyone has a right to do things as they deem fit, you already know the answer. So we face the problem without definite solution, people who watch anime in the most widely accepted way don't have to offer any argument to explain themselves, while nobody can forbid you to do as you please and as such, we are simply at a dead end.
My purpose of this topic is to show people that watching in fast pace can be somehow rationalized, and not just be labeled as pure stupidity. They may still not like the idea because the drawbacks are too heavy for them, but at least they may get it, that there are people who are willing to throw away (or sacrifice) those drawbacks just to get the "benefits".
Finally, i want to point this out, as you asked for each person to state their own opinion. For all it's worth, people who change the pace of an anime will never earn the same recognition from me as those who don't and every argument they have in doing so is nothing short of an excuse in my eyes.
It's fine to label reasons as excuses.
But it works either way. I may say to those who fast pace that I don't like to fast-pace because it destroys the pacing the director wanted to show up. And then they will say, "You're just making excuses. You just hate fast-pacing. You just hate the director or the seiyuus or the music director."
Though I understand. We tend to label what we think weak reasons as excuses.
That's why I said that when we feel that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, fast-pacing is the most rational solution, which is not usually the case of most anime watchers. And the "impatience" thing weighed more to me which drove me to fast-pace. I seldom do it nowadays because I value the drawbacks more.

Kurniawan_Ktr said:
True, you can learn more things by watching more episodes, but does it necessarily bring more enjoyment to you?. If so, doesn't it also mean we will miss some information that we may learn by sped up the anime?
more things learned=more enjoyment for me
fast-pacing done well =/= missing information (though pacing itself is lost, but if deemed unimportant, there's nothing lost)
But well, I think you made your argument contradicted here. You agreed that the "Number of completion" is not a determinant of "watching experiences" enjoyment. Yet, you make it like you enjoy more when you watched more anime/episode by speeding the anime up.
I would rather have a 13-episode Anime X than a 12-episode Anime X. Get my point?
I think enjoyment from a show and satisfied feeling after completing a show are different things. And I think you made it sounds like you seek for satisfied feeling after completing a show more than enjoyment from the anime itsealf. It also affirmed my argument that people who speed up anime they watched cares only about their completion number or for the sake of completing it.
Many anime are cliffhangers so there's no satisfied feeling on completing those anime. At least, not me. So, no affirmations for me, but yes of other people.
Also my satisfied feeling is that it's not because the anime finally ended but it's because I completed it well (at least on my standards which I believe is weird in your POV).

Goku said:
I guess this type of thread is becoming more and more common.
It's just two, I believe.
I'm anti-speeding your way through an episode/anime. The last thread about this was someone speeding through dialogue just to get to the action, which I find completely stupid.
It's not that stupid. It's as if pacing is a priority on all dialogs. But maybe you misunderstand here. It's fine to speed up when I'm really comprehending the scenes. If not, then that's not good for me. Is as bad as not paying attention to the dialog at all.
Also I read somewhere in this thread that if you save time you can get more episodes in. I disagree with that, If I'm really enjoying something I want to enjoy it as long as possible. If I'm "saving" 4 minutes every episode on a 25 episode series that I really enjoy. Then by the time I finished it 100 minutes of possible entertainment would be gone. To me if I'm enjoying something, then it is not a waste of time. So I see no point in attempting to "save" time while enjoying something.
100 minutes is not lost when you watch another episodes and/or when you just rewatch the good scenes.
I also think the speeding would ruin the BGM and disrupt the atmosphere. Probably distorting the VAs as well.
I mentioned it in the disadvantages. If it's a big disadvantage to you, then don't try to fast-pace.
Like someone said in this thread, You don't speed up music or you don't run through museums. If you're not enjoying that type of medium, then why bother with it.
You seem to assume I just skimmed through an anime. I pay attention on watching very well. And I get butthurt when someone doesn't pay attention in watching anime regardless they speed up or not. And you seem to assume I don't like the medium. I love anime so much I rarely drop and I want to pick my dropped anime when my anger or bad taste on them fades. Though I cannot say I loved the pacing of anime, especially shounen ones. They are like being slowed down not because of pacing creativity but just to milk up more money on fans, so I did some revenge by speeding up to correct the wrongs. I also feel like Endride is too slow and it's not on purpose, so I sped up a bit.
At the end of the day it is your choice to do what ever, I don't see any advantage in it other than trying to get your stats up though.
It's fine to think that way and I believe it's true for most people but not true to me. Stats doesn't matter when you don't comprehend the whole show.
DixyNL said:
The creator has a certain mind set while making these shows, whether it be for entertainment or trying to make you think about live or just getting on the feel train. The entire show is made up to experience this feeling that the creator set out for you, for your enjoyment. Now in my personal opinion when you are taking the whole concept of the show, and ripping it out of context with speed manipulation, you are purposely defining the very definition of what the creator intended.
So true. That's why I avoid speed-watching things when I get that the author wanted that way. But when I think that the pacing does not really matter in a certain anime, I speed-watch. If pacing still matters, but not to a higher extent, I still change the pacing but just slightly.
There is just no way you can experience something as a whole when you are taking something someone else has made for a certain way of enjoyment out of context. By doing so you are simply not admiring the purpose of the anime, nor respecting the time and soul the creator has put in it. Because you are making everything enjoyable on your own terms whereas the show is not made on your terms.
I thought about that before. Maybe I'm too greedy if I don't notice that the author did want the pacing to be like that.
And in my personal opinion (as someone who had addictions to certain things in te past) making it so that you can absorb more for the sake of yourself and therefore destroying a main purpose of someone else his creation, is in fact addictive behaviour.
Maybe I'm an anime addict. But nowadays I seldom fast pace because I want to appreciate the audio. Also, maybe I don't really have a concrete taste on anime pacing. Most kinds of pacing seem the same for me. Maybe I don't like the pacing not because I really hate the pacing but because I''m impatient about the story.
If you simply don't like the pacing or the slow dialogue, then it's not for you.
I cannot say that an anime with slow dialog is not for me. There are talking in many anime (not all anime, and not all talking) where I believe dialog pacing doesn't really matter as long as you comprehended the talking.
Also, if I don't like the pacing, there are still other things on an anime like the story and characters. Pacing, for me, is not everything. Sometimes, pacing is nothing. Pacing alone can't make me hate a show.
Also, I cannot say that in many TV anime, it is really intended for the pacing to be in a certain way. The unintended pacing is probably a consequence of having a strict 24-min allocation that directors have either to stretch, compress, squeeze in, or take out some scenes a bit.
Jan 19, 2017 9:04 AM

Dec 2012
You are taking anime-watching too seriously, to me it seems like it's being treated as a numbers game just to say you've watched a certain amount of anime, frankly there's no reason to try and justify it because it's just retarded and if you can't enjoy it for what it is then just drop it and move on to another series.
Jan 19, 2017 9:34 AM

Mar 2013
Simple as it is, like it or not, that way of watching doesn't make sense. I'm not even sure why i bother to explain this to you anymore. Either way you put it, you are contradicting yourself as i stated before, as well as everyone else who is lying to themselves that this way of watching has any benefits.

This way of answering you people put into use in here, and that is quoting and analyzing every single statement i make is not always the right way to look into things. My whole post is not meant to be read partially, but as an entirety. Humans can always preach about how everything "depends", how everything has "deeper meaning" and similar overused terms forum users use these days, when that is not always the case for the reasons i mentioned in my previous sentence.

Effort you put into changing the pace of the anime, attention put into deciding whether something is important or not because sometimes, it's small details that matter and that are not deemed as important at first, that change the course of the anime and make a plot twist - all of that, how it turns out to be in the end judging by all "I speed up, i slow down, i pause, i re-watch", just to save a minute or two of an episode so you can do what, watch 1 more episode every 12 episodes or so ? If you believe that's the way you truly want to watch an anime, then by all means, do so.

For the last part you quoted me about, i already explained why you can't expect nor deserve any argument from people who watch anime at normal pace. Let me explain this to you as simple as i can. Episode is (more or less) 24 minutes long. You truly want me to defend my reasoning for deciding to spend 24 minutes watching 24 minute episode ? (this is, by the way, rhetorical question)

Last thing i want to clear out before i stop checking this topic as this conversation has dragged for far too long is - Yes, i am sure i am not someone who believes in right and wrong as concepts, and once again, that makes sense if you take my whole post as an entirety. There are some rules that cannot be overwritten, only ignored or reshaped to your own liking, like this case is. It's not my subjective opinion that this way of watching is right, it's a generally accepted opinion, and as someone who likes anime and accepts it for what it is, not for something i want it to be, i am merely respecting it's rules.

To prevent further needless discussion, let me say this. As i mentioned in my previous posts, but might be overlooked, I don't care how you people watch anime, you
can just enlist them as "Completed" after watching the ending itself for all i care. But i will never understand, accept and acknowledge so-called anime fans who can't even ''bother'' themselves enough to show due respect and watch the shows they like properly.
Jan 19, 2017 9:40 AM

Apr 2016
Uhh speeding up anime is just like skipping cutscenes in games, just no!

Jan 19, 2017 9:45 AM

Feb 2010
The benefits are the same as if you don't watch it at all and just add it to your list. You get +1 on the list while not actually experiencing the anime you added. Instead you waste your time on some twisted, almost automatically bad version (with sped up music and dialogue the atmosphere will be ruined 100 out fo 100 times, the animation will look choppy and everything will generally get worse). Personally I think just adding the show without watching it is more efficient. I'll take your opinion about the show about as seriously but you didn't have to waste time watching some sped-up crap.

When the thought of speeding up a show comes to my mind I immediately consider dropping it because my brain obviously doesn't think it's worth my time.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 19, 2017 10:34 PM
Mar 2016
Pullman said:
The benefits are the same as if you don't watch it at all and just add it to your list. You get +1 on the list while not actually experiencing the anime you added.
The problem of it is that watching anime sped-up does not automatically mean not experiencing anime at all. It may be true to you but not to me and few others. It may not be the same as experiencing anime with normal speed. But still, the experience is still there.
Instead you waste your time on some twisted, almost automatically bad version (with sped up music and dialogue the atmosphere will be ruined 100 out fo 100 times, the animation will look choppy and everything will generally get worse).
This is true if:
1. Somebody who watches a certain anime with higher speed really cares about the music, or
2. Somebody cannot acclimate to the speed of the sped up anime.
It's fine if you think that somebody who does not or cannot feel the music and atmosphere of the anime is not really watching an anime but is deceiving him/herself.
In my own experience, the anime didn't become choppy when it's sped up. And traditional in-between animation is choppy in the first place (not 25fps).
Personally I think just adding the show without watching it is more efficient.
This statement is good if:
1. Somebody who watches anime sped-up absolutely did not or cannot comprehend what he/she is watching, or
2. Somebody who watches anime sped-up does not really care about watching the anime but cares more about the +1 completion.
I'll take your opinion about the show about as seriously but you didn't have to waste time watching some sped-up crap.
True. But I will not call sped-up anime crap unless music and pacing are deemed to be important.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - May 10

114 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 12

82 by bakedmonogatari »»
2 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Today

39 by Lucifrost »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

71 by kihel »»
12 minutes ago

» Are anime getting worse and worse ?

Shomix - 26 minutes ago

1 by Sphealz »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.