Forum Settings
Forums

Benefits in watching anime with speed more than the normal speed

New
Jan 18, 2017 4:21 AM
Mar 2016
Similar forums with are popping up these days. And in each of these forums, I read some anime watching speed elitists and those who mock those who watch anime at more than its normal speed. They say they cannot comprehend this "revolting", or may I say, "revolutionary" idea.

So what are the benefits in watching anime with more than normal speed? Here's what I think:
1. Saving time - Those who love to watch anime regardless of quality and wants to watch it in shorter time could just speed it up. Speeding up to watch anime in shorter time is also more beneficial than skipping because skipping will make you lose track on some plot.
2. Comfort from impatience - Those who think that the pacing or the conversation are too slow and are impatient on waiting more seconds for the next sentence or the next scene, this is a good choice, better than skipping.

Here are some drawbacks:
1. Not comprehending the story well - This happens when the watching anime is sped up faster than what the viewer can handle. This could be disastrous since if someone didn't comprehend the story, there's little point (if there's any) in watching anime. This can be corrected by speeding down.
2. Cannot feel the anime atmosphere - We can only experience the temporal pacing on normal speeds. The directors chose the most effective pacing to create the optimal anime atmosphere. When the anime speed is changed, the anime atmosphere is surely affected, especially to the pacing-sensitive scenes. (I believe Non Non Biyori episodes are good examples, though I believe somebody can add 10% speed without losing the feel)
3. Rebellion against the director - Changing the anime speed means changing the pacing the directors dictated. Thus, breaking the unspoken law "thou shalt not defy the way the director paced the damn show"
4. Not enjoying the audio by the way it is presented - Speeding up the anime also affects the audio. We will not enjoy the way seiyuus delivered the voices in normal speed. Unless you enjoy listening to BGM regardless of speed, speeding up anime will certainly affect your enjoyment on how the music is delivered. The anime atmosphere will also be affected by this. But if you care less about these things (especially subs version) this is not an issue.
5. Bashes from elitists and mockers - If someone is vocal about speeding up, toxic waste are thrown in his/her face. If he/she does not care about them, then this is not a drawback.
My decision on speeding up anime depends on weighing the benefits and the drawbacks.
Though I do less speeding up these day because I want to enjoy the seiyuus and how the directors paced their show. And I don't dare to speed up English dubs when there is talking. I need to listen to dubbers carefully to comprehend what they are saying, especially since I suck in English.
Anybody can add more advantages and disadvantages in the comments section.
I hear elitists say, "If you are bored, then drop it." I would answer, "I don't get bored by anime as long as there's a drawing displayed or a good audio playing. That along makes me enjoy anime. But IF I really got bored, then there's what we call hope. I hope the anime improves later on so I don't give up until the bitter end."
Anime speed elitists, I have a question for you. Is this post nonsensical? Please explain well.
Not really a spoiler
crx07Jan 18, 2017 4:25 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2017 4:27 AM

Sep 2015
You pretty much said all there is about it. Nothing I can think of to add.
Jan 18, 2017 4:42 AM

Sep 2011
I mean I get the benefits that other people find from it, but to me the idea is just weird since you are not experiencing how the anime is meant to be experienced. The animation pacing changes. The voice acting pacing changes. I mean pretty much everything is changed.
Jan 18, 2017 4:58 AM

Feb 2013
yeh ive been speeding anime since forever, and emulated games even longer than that

hearing overreactions over even 1.1x is just lol
bonus points for claiming speeding is the opposite of enjoying
Jan 18, 2017 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
Real badasses watch anime at 5000000000% speed.
Jan 18, 2017 5:04 AM

Sep 2012
Darek said:
Real badasses watch anime at 5000000000% speed.

Yup, anything less is not acceptable though I pity retards, I mean if you find it boring enough to fast forward why not just skip it, read its wiki and claim you have seen it all.
Jan 18, 2017 5:04 AM

Sep 2012
Sorry but that pretty retarded.You are watching anime because you want some entertainment right?So why you are trying to save time?
Jan 18, 2017 5:05 AM

Sep 2014
Lol scrubs, get on my level. I watch entire seasons of anime in vine format. I completed the entirety of Naruto Shippuden up until episode 490 in 6 seconds.
Jan 18, 2017 5:14 AM
Mar 2016
Meau94 said:
I mean I get the benefits that other people find from it, but to me the idea is just weird since you are not experiencing how the anime is meant to be experienced.
I believe your statement assumes that (1) there is a standard on how anime is meant to be experienced, (2) you know it, and (3) everybody should experience how anime is meant to be experienced. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'll disagree on all assumptions. But because I don't want to argue on the first two assumptions, I will argue on the third assumption.
Anybody can deviate from "proper" methods on anime experience. The unspoken drawback on deviating is that their enjoyment of that deviated experience will be different from their enjoyment on the intended experience. And the unspoken assumption is that having a deviating experience is wrong and experiencing anime as intended is right, and anything wrong should be stopped because they will understand the anime wrongly and thus, rate it wrongly. It leads to statements such as "Mind your own business." and "Don't dictate what I want to do."
When anime viewers who speed up watching anime (not all) are not enjoying the pace, they give up the pace, just to cut to the chase. How can we convince them to watch at normal speed when they perceive that watching anime at normal speed hurts their enjoyment?
Or maybe some of them just don't care about the pacing, etc. so they don't mind speeding up.

It's fine to think it's weird. You don't need to relate to anime viewers who speed up watching anime. Speeding up anime is not more of a rational issue but more of an emotional issue, I believe.
Jan 18, 2017 5:16 AM

Feb 2013
The only benefit is that you are fooling yourself in thinking that you actually finished an anime when you didn't.
Jan 18, 2017 5:18 AM

Feb 2013
Ulquiorra said:
The only benefit is that you are fooling yourself in thinking that you actually finished an anime when you didn't.

you reminded me of this cromartie quote
Jan 18, 2017 5:22 AM

Feb 2016
2017 is the year of elitist and faster watching speed threads.
Jan 18, 2017 5:28 AM

Feb 2016
That's why every self respecting critical thinker, commiting deep real sophisticated analysis watches anime at 0.1 speed. You can absolutely scientifically analyse and measure frame by frame, pinpointing every little detail and abstract symbolism which leads to the building of the entire connecting plot and subplot, with all it's characters with their own emotional body and psychological meta-interspace. Did you know anime in 1974 had the most variation in pixel design integrity and shadow color quantization?? Of course you don't know that, anime after 1994 hardly had any production value when otakus started demanding more school harems and animators were more focused on drawing oppai than showing their inner genious thoughts in the art of direction and animation. Did you know most modern seyuus are drug abusers?? Of course not, you don't know that because you can't analyse the sound in such throughout degree. Trust me, I have been analysing anime for 50 years in my old military-built basement and I have amassed an enormous knowledge base of elite thoughts and visions that only elite personas like myself can imagine to acquire. You have no such imagination, you have no such knowledge to even witness what I have witnessed in my vast experience in watching anime in 0.1 speed. My whole life was built around analysing anime as the purest form of art that mankind has ever managed to create. Only the mightiest and strongest ones can endure the burden to know the truth. Preach it, peasants.
Jan 18, 2017 5:35 AM

Dec 2015
I just let anime play while I sleep and hope I absorb it on a subconscious level.
Gotta boost those stats right?
Jan 18, 2017 5:44 AM
Mar 2016
sasalx said:
Sorry but that pretty retarded.You are watching anime because you want some entertainment right?So why you are trying to save time?
No. That's not retarded.

I wanna reword your statement, based on how I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong. "Watching anime is entertaining but a waste of time, isn't it? Watching anime means wasting time, isn't it? Watching ten 24-minutes episode within your free 240 minutes and watching the same number of episodes within 200 minutes are the just the same, wasting time, isn't it? If you want to waste 240 minutes of time, then why save 40 minutes?"
Maybe to watch two extra episodes? Extra enjoyment!

Saving time can be an irrational argument if somebody says "it's boring". If it's boring, drop it. But wait a minute, I'll think what they mean is that they hate to spend time seeing boring things so they have to escape that boredom faster but don't want to give up on the show for reasons unknown to mankind, so they speed up. That's it. They could have skipped but they didn't for unknown reasons (maybe because of lazy impulse or because they don't want to accidentally skip important scenes). I don't know why but it's more on an emotional and enjoyment issue than a purely practical issue.
Jan 18, 2017 5:46 AM

Apr 2014
I really don't understand why you would watch anime at a higher speed, you won't listen to a song at a higher speed, would you? It changes everything.
Jan 18, 2017 5:56 AM

Dec 2015
Other ways to save time on your leisure activities.

1. Sprint through art galleries - don't waste time walking or stopping to appreciate the art, just run right through there.
2. Going to the cinema - slip a roll of notes into the projectionists pocket and they'll play the movie at double speed for you, thus ruining the experience for you and everyone else in the audience.
3. Skip foreplay during sex - who cares about setting the mood or taking it slow, just jackhammer that bitch and be outta there in two and a half minutes.
Jan 18, 2017 5:59 AM

Jan 2016
But when do you ever think, "Oh boy, I better speed up this song so I can finish it on time."

Point is, they try to get more episodes in for less time. It's simple, if you think about it for a second.
Jan 18, 2017 6:05 AM
Mar 2016
Ulquiorra said:

I wanna reword your statement. Correct me if I'm wrong. "If you fully experience the anime the way it is portrayed in normal speed, that way, you can proudly say that you finished the anime. Outside it, you are fooling yourself." It's nothing if somebody didn't really get the story. And even if someone fully understood the anime, there's the hidden right and wrong preaching here.
romagia said:
you reminded me of this cromartie quote
. The quote assumes that the speaker knows how the listener feels. It could be right if the anime watching is done for MAL completion list stuffing purposes only.
Jan 18, 2017 6:08 AM

Dec 2015
If I could say, If its skipping some scenes that consider unecessary, I think its understanable but watching whole episode speeding up, I dont think there is benefit of doing so. If they finding it boring and uninteresting, why dont just dropped it or just give up watching it.

But its way more disgusting if they doing it only to get the count of anime list on MAL, like you know what I mean, completed 1k anime but almost 50% or more of it is from speeding up. Like really?
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Jan 18, 2017 6:09 AM

Jan 2017
I watch anime at the speed of light and I can say the guy is alright, you skrubs are the very definition of slow.
"Now, come here. So long as we hold hands, we won't be separated."
Jan 18, 2017 6:11 AM

Aug 2013
If it's not a troll thread, then I lost my faith in humanity for good. One of the most retarded things which I've seen lately.

PROTIP:
STOP WATCHING ANIME IF YOU ARE BORED.
rsc-plJan 18, 2017 6:16 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 18, 2017 6:13 AM

Feb 2015
sasalx said:

So that you can enjoy more series I guess... Ppl see a correlation between efficiency and enjoyment I guess.
Jan 18, 2017 6:14 AM

Jul 2015
@aquamirror @Bobby2Hands please stop dudes I'm dying xD

Bobby2Hands said:
3. Skip foreplay during sex - who cares about setting the mood or taking it slow, just jackhammer that bitch and be outta there in two and a half minutes.

I'm pretty sure they already skip foreplay when they watch hentai :3
Jan 18, 2017 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
sasalx said:
Some people think watching anime is a competition. The more anime you've watched, the better anime fan you are. Stupid as it sounds.
Jan 18, 2017 6:15 AM

Jan 2017
@OP Can you also list the benefits of skipping through manga and light novel pages?

OneNaughtyBear said:
2017 is the year of elitist and faster watching speed threads.
And hentai threads apparently.
"Now, come here. So long as we hold hands, we won't be separated."
Jan 18, 2017 6:17 AM

Nov 2014
Notice how you have 2 benefits and 5 drawbacks? Yeah, you are just wasting your time watching anime, while you cannot enjoy it.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 18, 2017 6:17 AM

Mar 2008
Watching animes in high speed gives you the chance of increase your completed anime list most quickly than normal people. That's the final argument.
Jan 18, 2017 6:18 AM
Mar 2016
Eufie said:
If I could say, If its skipping some scenes that consider unecessary, I think its understanable but watching whole episode speeding up, I dont think there is benefit of doing so. If they finding it boring and uninteresting, why dont just dropped it or just give up watching it.
Skipping unnecessary scenes is impossible to do unless someone else who watched the show dictates what to skip or not or you have psychic powers that will help you see what to skip or you skip like 5 seconds which is tiresome to the hand. What if you accidentally skipped interesting scenes without noticing?
Have you read my post?
Jan 18, 2017 6:23 AM

Sep 2011
crx07 said:
Meau94 said:
I mean I get the benefits that other people find from it, but to me the idea is just weird since you are not experiencing how the anime is meant to be experienced.
I believe your statement assumes that (1) there is a standard on how anime is meant to be experienced, (2) you know it, and (3) everybody should experience how anime is meant to be experienced. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'll disagree on all assumptions. But because I don't want to argue on the first two assumptions, I will argue on the third assumption.
Anybody can deviate from "proper" methods on anime experience. The unspoken drawback on deviating is that their enjoyment of that deviated experience will be different from their enjoyment on the intended experience. And the unspoken assumption is that having a deviating experience is wrong and experiencing anime as intended is right, and anything wrong should be stopped because they will understand the anime wrongly and thus, rate it wrongly. It leads to statements such as "Mind your own business." and "Don't dictate what I want to do."
When anime viewers who speed up watching anime (not all) are not enjoying the pace, they give up the pace, just to cut to the chase. How can we convince them to watch at normal speed when they perceive that watching anime at normal speed hurts their enjoyment?
Or maybe some of them just don't care about the pacing, etc. so they don't mind speeding up.

It's fine to think it's weird. You don't need to relate to anime viewers who speed up watching anime. Speeding up anime is not more of a rational issue but more of an emotional issue, I believe.

Well I'm not saying that people need to follow a law that they need to experience it in a certain way. I wouldn't say it's 'wrong' and they shouldn't be doing it. I personally feel I would rather follow the flow that it should be experienced the way as intended from the anime producers, but not to say that people shouldn't alter the experience to their own preference. I just don't understand it and would never be able to do that myself, but like you said, maybe some people aren't as bothered about pacing and such, and overall probably aren't bothered about all the small details as much as I am. It would indeed be more of an emotional issue if that's the case we are talking about.
Jan 18, 2017 6:31 AM

Dec 2015
crx07 said:
Eufie said:
Skipping unnecessary scenes is impossible to do unless someone else who watched the show dictates what to skip or not or you have psychic powers that will help you see what to skip or you skip like 5 seconds which is tiresome to the hand. What if you accidentally skipped interesting scenes without noticing?
Have you read my post?

I admit that I was skipping some scenes from only this one anime Kuruko no Basuke, I was skipping some of the talks they do to their opponent in basketball court and in the middle of the match, the one where they show "Im way better than you so gtfo" (speaking it in a rude way) kind of thing and was paying attention more to the match itself.

I know both is not a proper way to do while watching anime but I understand some people do have their reason on certain anime of why they skip some scenes which I consider like OK. But comparing to those who speed their anime only for the count of MAL list or other anime community website, this 2nd one is worse or the worst. My point here is comparing these 2 things actually, so my 2nd paragraph from my post which you delete for you to quote is also important :)
EufieJan 18, 2017 6:44 AM
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Jan 18, 2017 6:37 AM

Aug 2013
Benefit of watching anime at faster speed is solely for my enjoyment alone (unless you are offended by my siggy)

As I mention in other thread:
1. It is because I have hoarder completionist mindset, I usually dont drop stuff I stockpiled. Even I drop it, I wont write it my list lul.
2. Saving time is the main reason. I will go as fast as I can humanly understand the story / read subtitle.
3. Enjoying the "moment". I can just say that human memory are not perfect, I no longer remember most of the details for anime that I have watched for last 15 years. Does watching normally will leave long lasting impact? Might be, but in the end you will forget most of it anyway.

For people keep saying watching in high speed will give less enjoyment, I will say that I enjoyed much more specific anime by read synopsis / story explanation after finish watching it. I did this for Nausicaa, Mononoke, Yuri Kuma, Mawarum Penguindrum & Ergo Proxy which help me understand more about the anime lore / symbolism etc. I wont able to get that from watching series normally.

Additionally, another fun things I love to do I to put VLC in normal speed in 2nd monitor and listen and understand the dialogue. Best with slice of life anime.

*I dont understand why the hate against speed-watcher. It is just opposite side of people that dissect anime frame by frame.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Jan 18, 2017 6:39 AM
Mar 2016
BurningSpirit said:
Notice how you have 2 benefits and 5 drawbacks? Yeah, you are just wasting your time watching anime, while you cannot enjoy it.
You don't get it! If somebody gives you something, what do you want? 2 dollars or 5 cents? I hope you get what I mean.
Aria said:
Watching animes in high speed gives you the chance of increase your completed anime list most quickly than normal people. That's the final argument.
Lord_Sithis said:
sasalx said:
Some people think watching anime is a competition. The more anime you've watched, the better anime fan you are. Stupid as it sounds.
I'm not one of them, but I'm not condemning them.
rsc-pl said:
If it's not a troll thread, then I lost my faith in humanity for good. One of the most retarded things which I've seen lately.
PROTIP:
Elitistic behavior is really cancerous. I really hate these stupid underlying assumptions! Generally it's true but it's not fully true, especially for me. Speeding up anime doesn't mean I'm bored watching it. When I'm speeding up just means I don't care about other stuff that are directly affected by speeding up the anime (I revert to normal speeds when I think those are enjoyable, and I don't usually speed up on non-long-running shounen shows) and I want to watch more anime because it makes me feel more happy.
Bobby2Hands said:
Other ways to save time on your leisure activities.
1. Sprint through art galleries - don't waste time walking or stopping to appreciate the art, just run right through there.
2. Going to the cinema - slip a roll of notes into the projectionists pocket and they'll play the movie at double speed for you, thus ruining the experience for you and everyone else in the audience.
You don't get my point, obviously.
1. If you know you can fully enjoy a painting by watching it in 10 minutes, then why overstay in 20 minutes? You will have less chance in enjoying other paintings. Free time is constrained you know.
2. That's a stupid thing to do. If you think my post is as stupid as #2, then you've committed a blunder. Anime is usually watched alone, so anybody can do want he/she wants to do. But you can't just do anything when somebody else watches. You have to ask permission to do what you want if you have balls to ask.
3. I'm not fond of those things. I watched one (because of curiosity) and skipped to the action part because the foreplays are junk IMO, unless it's for use, and I don't use those things. Maybe I just can't enjoy foreplays. As everybody says, if you don't like it, drop it. I dropped the foreplay part.
Jan 18, 2017 7:13 AM

Jan 2015
Lol now these even worth as discussion? meh

la critique de l'intention pure
Jan 18, 2017 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
One of the most enjoyable thing in anime is the audio part. Seiyuu, bgm, and simply sound effects.
Speeding up destroy the audio.
What's the point of destroying something enjoyable for the sake of watching more?

Also, if you have 2 hours to watch anime, watching in accelerate or not you'll still watch for 2 hours, so the difference will be you'll enjoy less and you'll have bigger number on you MAL account. Wow, bigger numbers. So important. ImO if you feel like an anime can be accelerated, you should just drop it because that means you're not enjoying it anyway. so speeded up or not it's a waste of time for you to spend time for an entertainment that doesn't entertain you.
Jan 18, 2017 8:29 AM

Sep 2012
@crx07

No that is not what I was saying.My point is watching anime movie or playing games etc. is not a "waste of time."

You are willingly use that time for doing those things.Also for your second paragraph (which is not about this topic but again I will talk about it too) if you find this Anime X boring then you should watch something else.I mean of course it is waste of time if you are not enjoying.As @Lord_Sithis stated we are not racing or something.Or at least most of us...

@_Ako_

That is sad if you ask me.You want some fun right.Then you can do everything that gives you that enjoyment.There is no efficiency while doing it.

rsc-pl said:

PROTIP:

Yup this sums my point.
Jan 18, 2017 8:45 AM

Feb 2015
sasalx said:
@crx07

No that is not what I was saying.My point is watching anime movie or playing games etc. is not a "waste of time."

You are willingly use that time for doing those things.Also for your second paragraph (which is not about this topic but again I will talk about it too) if you find this Anime X boring then you should watch something else.I mean of course it is waste of time if you are not enjoying.As @Lord_Sithis stated we are not racing or something.Or at least most of us...

@_Ako_

That is sad if you ask me.You want some fun right.Then you can do everything that gives you that enjoyment.There is no efficiency while doing it.

rsc-pl said:

PROTIP:

Yup this sums my point.

I dunno but ppl do it dude, I don't since I fap and I din't wanna rush that feeling... Overall ppl do it the way they want to... I guess...
Jan 18, 2017 9:06 AM

Feb 2016
Milk_is_Special said:
I really don't understand why you would watch anime at a higher speed, you won't listen to a song at a higher speed, would you? It changes everything.

Some songs are better at higher speed, but its totally different with shows. I mean the only ones I can think of are One Piece and all generic moeblob(that would be just to boost stats since after youve seen one of these, the rest has nothing to offer)

Some people have the no-drop rule so I guess that would help them. Why tho?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jan 18, 2017 9:10 AM

Jun 2016
Elegade said:
Lol scrubs, get on my level. I watch entire seasons of anime in vine format. I completed the entirety of Naruto Shippuden up until episode 490 in 6 seconds.
I tried that but got bored, so I sped it up a little. The fights took too long to keep me interested.
Jan 18, 2017 9:11 AM

Feb 2014
Not related to the speed discussion, but Saiki is not sped up, that's just how it is. The pacing is part of its charm.
Jan 18, 2017 9:19 AM

Jan 2013
Uh why do these threads keep popping up? Its stupid, just stop watching if your speed up parts. "Saves time" is not a good excuse, you already set aside time to watch anime so why make the experience less immersive for yourself?
Jan 18, 2017 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
btw I wanna see some of those "people intelligent in an other way" watch tatami galaxy sped up, good luck with that mate...
Jan 18, 2017 9:24 AM

Oct 2013
crx07 said:
Meau94 said:
I believe your statement assumes that (1) there is a standard on how anime is meant to be experienced, (2) you know it, and (3) everybody should experience how anime is meant to be experienced.
Wow I'm getting deja vu of the time when my friend said my opinion of LOTGH was invalid because I watched the 2 prequels first and then spoiled myself of the ending of the original series on purpose
oh and everyone who says the guy should stop doing what he wants with his free time and should just stop watching the show if he is doing how he wants should just shut the fuck up
you all are no different to the people who say you can't watch anime in dub
if he understands the show despite speeding it ever so slightly thats totally fine
after all he is still seeing everything that happens in the show
DeknijffJan 18, 2017 9:29 AM
Jan 18, 2017 9:32 AM

Oct 2015
to be honest i dont get why you would speed it up. Atleast for me watching anime is something i enjoy, and something i want to spend my time on. If i have nothing else to do i go and watch a few things, and have a good time depending on if it is a good anime.

If you are speeding stuff up just to watch more and more in a short amount of time is that not defing the purpose of enjoyment? if you enjoy something you want to make it last. And watching a show on normal speed can feel to short from time to time.

So what is the thought behind speeding it up ? That you can see more and more ? honestly i think you are ether additic to watching so you want more at a higher pace, or you need to see so much that you can find some pride in yourself by telling that you watched all that.

Either way that is not what enjoyment is about. Honstely enligt me about this is dont get it at all, not from a scientific point of enjoyment view nor personal experience.
Jan 18, 2017 10:36 AM

Dec 2015
In long running series (mainly shounen) that catch up to manga, each episode is made very slow on purpose to fill the time, so I believe anime should be sped up on these cases. Like in one piece, which has less amount of fillers but to compensate, each character speak at snails pace. So speeding it up is the 'right way' to watch it

On other occasions it is just up to the viewer, though I would recommend not speeding it up unless you are watching it for the sake of completing it
Jan 18, 2017 10:43 AM

May 2015
*Creates a thread about speeding up anime and saving time*.
Proceeds to waste the time he "saved" by creating a wall of text explaining something so pointless. A tad ironic eh?
Don't watch anime you don't want to watch. You're wasting time and it's embarrassing.
Jan 18, 2017 11:45 AM

Dec 2015
Fang said:
*Creates a thread about speeding up anime and saving time*.
Proceeds to waste the time he "saved" by creating a wall of text explaining something so pointless. A tad ironic eh?
Don't watch anime you don't want to watch. You're wasting time and it's embarrassing.

The person has used the time he saved to discuss a topic he is interested in. Who are you to claim it is a waste, or that it is pointless. Also do you have any basis to say he does not enjoy the anime he speed up? You are embarrassing yourself with such an immature comment

(It doesnt matter which side of the argument you take. If you are convinced about something, make a proper argument to support it. I also dont like speeding anime up on most circumstances)
Jan 18, 2017 11:45 AM

Mar 2013
Either way you look at it, speeding up an anime doesn't have a single benefit.

If there is some insignificant scene that is repeating itself quite often, if there are a lot of flashbacks, if there's a filler that is not directly connected to the story or recap episode you don't believe you need to watch, if you don't feel like watching opening or ending over and over again, just skip it as you won't really lose any track of the actual plot as you mentioned - and that goes for anime longer than 100+ episodes. Besides that, everything else is supposed to be watched and experienced at its own pace. I won't even go into discussing how wrong it is to do any skipping or fast pacing to a shorter anime as it basically loses all the charm and you simply can't pick up all the important details or grow to like a character, let alone understand it or try to put yourself in their position. Does it really matter if you watched 10 or 12-13 episodes in 240 minutes ? If you don't have enough time to finish them all today, leave them for tomorrow.

Other thing you mentioned is impatience - people who truly like watching anime enjoy being patient for something important as those things are what anime is truly about, using their own imagination, trying to solve mysteries and problems on their own. I find myself pausing the anime sometimes or re-watching the scene, thinking about if i understood everything correctly or if i would do things differently. If you are, however, really that impatient, then google it and keep watching at normal pace.

People who decide to watch an anime at a higher speed are those who care only about increasing their anime statistics, not overall experience and enjoyment.
Patiently waiting for the best day of my life, the day when i die.
Jan 18, 2017 12:04 PM

Mar 2016
For me, I have no reason to speed up a show.

*Saving time?, there's still tomorrow, no?. I enjoyed when I can immerse to the shows I watched, so dialogue, atmosphere, and sounds are important things.

Beside, surely I can watch 240 minutes anime in 200 minutes. And 40 minutes for extra episodes (extra enjoyment?). But I doubt the level of enjoyment watching that anime in 240 minutes long (normal speed) will be the same as watching it in 200 minutes (speed up), since the quality of that anime will be reduced as it got speed up. Even if the extra 40 minutes (speed up) being added to the 200 minutes experience (speed up), I doubt it will be as "enjoyable" as 240 minutes (in normal speed). "Number of completion" is not a determinant of "watching experience" enjoyment, while the quality can be a factor.

Also, ignore the enjoyment level, if watching anime means enjoying myself, doesn't it mean watching 12 episodes in 240 minutes is just the same as watching 15 episodes in 240 minutes?

So, whichever the case, where's extra enjoyment? I don't see where's that extra enjoyment comes from but from the amount of episode watched. Means people who do that might only care about his/her completion.

If I want extra enjoyment then I just need to watch anime on another time. Or "wasting" more time in front of tv/pc. Simple as that.

*Comfort from impatience?, I naturally loved slow pace shows. But yeah, sometimes, I also feel like I wanted to pass the show fast, but I think it's more because I was tired of watching and need some rest. I understand if some people can't enjoy such shows though. But speed it up? Does it really changed their opinion about the show? (means more enjoyable?) Or does it just make the show passed fast?

From where I am standing, I can't understand why people watched anime faster if only "they didn't do it for the sake of completing the show". . .

But well, people have their own preferences I believes. . .
Kurniawan_KtrJan 18, 2017 2:36 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Jan 18, 2017 12:39 PM

Jun 2007
Well, nothing says "great idea" like something that has more drawbacks than benefits.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 1 minute ago

1 by Serafos »»
9 seconds ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 10 hours ago

20 by Firemaster2018 »»
27 seconds ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Blueberry173 »»
5 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

4 by MichaelJackson »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

58 by TsutanaiFuun »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.