Forum Settings
Forums

Why am I not seeing a lot of people giving out 5/10 scores?

New
Jan 3, 2017 7:48 PM

Oct 2013
Isn't average/mediocre supposed to be the norm? the typical, the standard? Just like a classroom where the majority of the students will be average students, while the remaining minority is bright sparks and below average students?

The reason I am making this topic because I notice giving series a 5/10 seems to be rare in most persons list, and surprisingly not only persons that rate average anime as a 7/10, which is influence by their school grading system, but even the users that rate anime harshly, mostly avoid giving out 5/10 and either choose to giving that series a 6/10 or a 4/10.

Now I am not saying we should rate most series a 5/10, but I would still expect to see people giving out 5/10 more often, whats more surprising is that, it seems 10/10 score is the norm on mal, but shouldn't this be the other way around? lol Are people having a hard time figuring out when to give a anime a 5? Personally I don't think you need to put much effort to reach mediocrity, to me, a series is mediocre when it doesn't do anything wrong, but at the same time it doesn't do anything new, its basically just following the same typical trend as other series, basically that series doesn't have a identity, its just one of those series. *cough cough* battle harem fantasy school light novel anime series.

So if you rarely score your anime with a 5, why is that the case?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 3, 2017 7:49 PM

Feb 2015
Because it's much fun to use 1/10 if you don't like the series and 10/10 if you like it.
Jan 3, 2017 7:51 PM
Jan 2015
Well I rarely give out 5's, because I watch stuff that I like.
My Queens

Jan 3, 2017 7:52 PM

Mar 2015
5/10 = 50% which if you got a grade like that in school would be pretty bad. Even though technically it's supposed to be "OK". So yes, school influence.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jan 3, 2017 7:53 PM

Feb 2015
GaryMuffuginOak said:
5/10 = 50% which if you got a grade like that in school would be pretty bad. Even though technically it's supposed to be "OK". So yes, school influence.

WHAT?! Am I the only one who was happy when I got 49% ?
Jan 3, 2017 7:54 PM

Apr 2014
I don't really give a shit how people rate but when I see:
"Hmm, didn't really like it that much, it was kinda average.. 8/10"
That's kinda obnoxious lmao

I guess people don't have the superb anime grading skills like me. What can I say.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Jan 3, 2017 7:54 PM

Apr 2008
Most people don't even start anime that they will rate 5. It's not like people all watch a random sample of anime and you can expect the median rating to be 5.
Jan 3, 2017 7:56 PM

Jul 2014
If I start to watch a 5/10 anime, I drop it between episode 1 and 4 and might never add it to my list, unless I want to remember why I dropped it.
Jan 3, 2017 7:58 PM
Mar 2016
Because I rate by the ranking descriptions and my personal opinion. If I thought a show was good, I rate it 7 because good is 7. Thus my average is 7s and 8s. My only 4 is AoT, which I actively dislike. My only 5 was fairly boring specials for an ecchi show (not my preferred genre, but watched it for a deal with a friend), and it's a 5 because I didn't actively dislike the specials, I just wasn't interested in caring because it was pretty much pure fanservice.
Jan 3, 2017 8:00 PM

Oct 2012
_Ako_ said:
GaryMuffuginOak said:

WHAT?! Am I the only one who was happy when I got 49% ?

Well, I guess it means you're not average; you're below average, which is not normal, and normal is boring as they say.

Be happy I guess?

alatartheblue42 said:
My only 4 is AoT, which I actively dislike.

My my, aiming straight into the OP's most treasured anime; spicy!

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 3, 2017 8:02 PM

Aug 2015
Consider this, people are generally going to watch shows they like and rarely go outside their comfort zone. So the data is skewed/biased from the onset. Your argument (and I use that term loosely) might be more valid if you gave a bunch of random people some anime (of same/similar genre) to watch and the people had to rate the score out of /10.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jan 3, 2017 8:02 PM

Jan 2016
I don't give out 5/10 scores cause if it comes to that mark I should've already dropped it.
Jan 3, 2017 8:04 PM

Jul 2016
Yeah people mostly only watch shows that already seem interesting to them.
Jan 3, 2017 8:09 PM
Mar 2016
Shoryu said:

alatartheblue42 said:
My only 4 is AoT, which I actively dislike.

Didn't know that. Sorry OP. I respect that you have your own opinion, and I ask you to respect mine as well.
Jan 3, 2017 8:10 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah, I get that. Most persons don't watch series they don't like or continue a series they find to be mediocre or below average, but as I said before persons that rate series harshly and have no problem completing millions of series they don't like also rarely give out 5/10 scores. Explain this phenomenon.

alatartheblue42 said:
Shoryu said:

Didn't know that. Sorry OP. I respect that you have your own opinion, and I ask you to respect mine as well.

No problem, though it hurt a tiny bit. lol
Jan 3, 2017 8:10 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
uh, because anime is entertainment and unless you're a reviewer or into that kind of stuff you're wasting time watching shows you don't like
Jan 3, 2017 8:13 PM

Oct 2016
Only the truly enlightened use the full scale to its maximum potential. Keep looking and you will be accepted into our ranks soon enough.
Jan 3, 2017 8:14 PM

Sep 2016
If I enjoy something, I will give it at least a 6/10. When an anime isn't that enjoyable for me, but not bad either, I give it a 5/10. The only exception to this so far is Your Lie in April, which I didn't enjoy that much, but still think it's a very good anime quality-wise, so I gave it a 7/10. I enjoy most things I watch because they already seemed fun or interesting to begin with. If I were to watch random shows I knew nothing about, I would most likely give scores lower than 6 more often.

Jan 3, 2017 8:14 PM

Sep 2011
5 is usally a show i dont give a shit about which are not super common for me, but i still have more of them than 6/10's since I think its even rarer to find a show i like that as flawed as it is without having enough to push it over a 7.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 3, 2017 8:20 PM

Jul 2010
I don't give 5s too much, I recently gave Yuri on Ice a 5 because on one side I enjoyed the actual ice skating but on the other equally important side I hated the romance side of it since it wasn't exactly very well written or developed.
Jan 3, 2017 8:22 PM

Nov 2014
The key is many people don't see the scale as a way to bring across the message of what you think of the show. Sure you enjoyed all of them, but putting them all 8/9/10 isn't allowing others to see which you thought was better.

It's no surprise that some people have averages higher than 5, because they might watch what they like.. But I think people shouldn't hesitate to give lower scores because the average on MAL is so high. There's no decimals in MAL, so if you like an anime significantly more than another, make sure that checks out with a 1 score difference in MAL.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 3, 2017 8:48 PM
Aug 2015
Not many people follow the labels MAL gives each x/10.

Even I don't really follow it really. My general rule of thumb is if I finished it without a problem (eg, me not wanting to finish it, or me finding it boring and putting it off), but there was nothing notable about it, I give it a six. If i had trouble finishing it, I gave it lower than that
Jan 3, 2017 9:54 PM

Feb 2011
lemme break this down for u

theres thousands and thousands of anime out there

5 means average

do u have time to or would u even want to watch half of all anime?

a quarter of all anime?

no so obviously the shows u complete should be much better than average

i even made a chart cuz im tired of u mouthbreathers asking this same shit every day

Jan 3, 2017 9:57 PM

Feb 2010
sadly people think 5 is bad these days they dont use the rating system like they should 5 is not bad people just normal i have yet to find an anime that so bad i give it a 1
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 3, 2017 9:59 PM

Feb 2011
hazerddex said:
sadly people think 5 is bad these days they dont use the rating system like they should 5 is not bad people just normal

i​​ will feed you your own family
Jan 3, 2017 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
In school people don't pass with a 50% grade. Same with anime. If you're enjoying anime then a 6-10 rating is passing. A 50% is not normal, that means the series reached 50% of it's capacity and is a failure. Simple math.

You're stuck on the idea that a 5 is average because you're rating against other anime, but I'm rating on a percentage scale out of 100%. I wouldn't watch a 5/10 anime, that to me is a drop.

You're not using the rating system at all correctly.
Jan 3, 2017 10:02 PM

Feb 2010
Kittenpotpie said:
hazerddex said:
sadly people think 5 is bad these days they dont use the rating system like they should 5 is not bad people just normal

i​​ will feed you your own family
thats a pity i already ate them also rude?
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 3, 2017 10:03 PM
Jan 2013
what, but isnt like, 5, the lowest score possible?
gone bai bai
Jan 3, 2017 10:04 PM
Reviewer

Apr 2012
I don't usually give 5s because I'm aware that most of the series I watch aren't "average" anime. The ones that I consider to be average, I don't watch because they hold no value to me. I usually only watch the "fine" "good" "really good", "great", and "masterpiece" anime.

Occasionally, I will watch an average or bad series, but I certainly wouldn't waste my time on something that I know I don't/won't like unless I had a reason to. Like, to me most slice-of-life only anime (without comedy) are 4s, 5s, or 6s. But I just won't watch them because they're just not good to me.

Jan 3, 2017 10:08 PM

Feb 2011
i just looked it up, theres over 11,000 anime on MAL
unless u have 5500+ anime on ur list, each 5 represents a show you should definitely have dropped
Jan 3, 2017 10:09 PM

Apr 2015
Maybe because you're searching the wrong people? just look for anyone that uses the full-scale system properly, that will solve your problem.
Jan 3, 2017 10:09 PM

Oct 2014
In a way 5 as "average" isn't a problem for being too low but instead is a problem for being too high. There is an obvious taste bias in which most likely 80% or more of the anime someone watches are anime they already expected to like. Some of the anime they don't expect to like end up actually being enjoyable and some of the anime they expected to like will wind up being disappointments but overall what they assume the average anime is like is going to be much worse than the average of what they've seen. If 3 or 4 was labeled as average that might not solve anything, but it still could have some interesting results. Instead of seeing 5 as the average of all anime and rather viewing it as a point to base what you thought of the anime you've seen compared to the average of them then you can rate more fairly without your votes being weighted any worse in your own eyes. My most common rating is 5 with it accounting for 17.5% of my ratings.

(I near exclusively use 1 for shorts)

@Kittenpotpie
Your argument is very 1 sided. If MAL didn't put words beside the numbers would you still view it this way or would you see it as a way to rate anime against each other rather than a way to rank them against anime as a whole? Besides, if people who found an anime to be out of their taste and drop without rating then that very action inflates the score of the anime.
zombie_pegasusJan 3, 2017 10:14 PM
Jan 3, 2017 10:12 PM

Dec 2016
I think another influence explaining this behavior comes from IMDB. That site also suffers from the same phenomena where clearly an "average", "regular", or simply "the normal movie"....gets a 7.

Many people rating here I guess use this site as a benchmark to rate.
Jan 3, 2017 10:13 PM

Sep 2009
Because they're filthy casuals, and almost any anime is good enough to entertain them.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.

Feb 2010
Kittenpotpie said:
unless u have 5500+ anime on ur list, each 5 represents a show you should definitely have dropped
no because 5 is still watchable 4-2 is when you should consider dropping

MortalMelancholy said:
Because they're filthy casuals, and almost any anime is good enough to entertain them.

would that meen you should be seeing more fives?

Nov 2008
If I rate a show a 5, it means it was average. More often than not, I drop shows that aren't at least a 7. So those shows I drop don't get a rating.

Oct 2016
Ehhh... I can't relate since I give a lot of 5's.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2017 10:15 PM

Oct 2014
While I'm at it I may as well copy-paste this wall of words I wrote a while ago.
Jan 3, 2017 10:15 PM

Sep 2009
hazerddex said:

Yes. We should be seeing much lower scores in overall.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 3, 2017 10:16 PM

Feb 2010
5 means average to me, nor good nor bad . its kind of difficult to understand for me too why someone would give only high scores, why even rate then
Jan 3, 2017 10:20 PM

Feb 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
hazerddex said:

Yes. We should be seeing much lower scores in overall.

true but 5 does not meen bad
sadly most people put things at ether 10-7 or drop

Jan 3, 2017 10:26 PM

Feb 2011

hey look, the graph of someone who doesnt know the difference between "an average anime" and "an average anime that i actually decided to start and watch until completing"

zombie_pegasus said:
rate anime against each other rather than a way to rank them against anime as a whole

of course its against anime as a whole, whats the point of just rating only against shows you've seen???

"oh i just watched 10 amazing shows this season, better go lower all my other scores to keep that 5 average"

pure stupidity
Jan 3, 2017 10:27 PM

Sep 2013
5 is my 2nd most common rating. Can't relate~

I do have a tendency to give out to many 7's though. 7 is my go-to "was enjoyable, my thing and I enjoyed it" rating so I tend to give those out too much.

Kittenpotpie said:

hey look, the graph of someone who doesnt know the difference between "an average anime" and "an average anime that i actually decided to start and watch until completing"

zombie_pegasus said:
rate anime against each other rather than a way to rank them against anime as a whole

of course its against anime as a whole, whats the point of just rating only against shows you've seen???

"oh i just watched 10 amazing shows this season, better go lower all my other scores to keep that 5 average"

pure stupidity

how are you supposed to rate something against something you haven't seen?
I'd assume most people on here are somewhere in the tripple digit area when it comes to how many series they've seen. Far from the 10k+ anime out there... so how would you even want to put that in context?

Rating against other things I've seen is the only sensible solution for me personally
Jan 3, 2017 10:44 PM

Feb 2016
for me, rating is more like enjoyment level, not by complexity of their story.
only few of them i rated 5 or below which i consider 'not enjoyable', because i know to choose what kind of anime i'd watch
Jan 3, 2017 10:47 PM

Oct 2014
Kittenpotpie said:

zombie_pegasus said:

pure stupidity
You see, I have complete 664 anime and have rated pretty much all of them. Do you think these would fit all the top half of the scale? No, in fact in addition to not having enough room I've also simply seen a lot of shitty shorts and other things that truly do deserve low ratings (also, using the 72 minute rule the majority of my low rated anime couldn't even be dropped without "not knowing enough about the anime to determine if it's good to watch"). Only 7 of the 153 anime I've rated 1-3 are 72 minutes or greater and therefore "droppable". Even most of my 5s are under 72 minutes. In contrast all of my 9s and 10s are over 72 minutes and only a few of my 8s are under.

Anyway, MAL gave a scale and we can all choose to use it how we want. Some will use 8 for mediocre anime while some won't give a score over 5 to anything that isn't spectacular. I personally like to reserve more ratings for sorting the anime I really liked rather than leaving the majority of the scale unused. The scale isn't to tell MAL what you believe every anime ought to be rated, it's to show other people what your taste is so that they know a bit more about you and can recommend things to you more easily.
Jan 3, 2017 10:50 PM
Jul 2018
Kittenpotpie said:

What the fuck is even that argument supposed to be?
Jan 3, 2017 10:55 PM

Oct 2016
Kittenpotpie said:

Where do you get this idiotic hubris that makes you think you can judge against anime as a whole? Have you seen anime as a whole? You've seen a tiny fraction.
Jan 3, 2017 10:56 PM

Dec 2015
Because most anime are either very very bad or very very good, there's almost never a middle ground, either they mess up or they do it well.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 3, 2017 11:04 PM

Feb 2011
Toadesstern said:
how are you supposed to rate something against something you haven't seen?
I'd assume most people on here are somewhere in the tripple digit area when it comes to how many series they've seen. Far from the 10k+ anime out there... so how would you even want to put that in context?
Rating against other things I've seen is the only sensible solution for me personally

k so, when u are picking a show to watch are u doing it at random?

no, you are watching shows that you think you are going to enjoy

these shows were recommended to you, were scored highly by many others, or just looked interesting enough to you, but most importantly they were all popular enough that you even heard of them in the first place

if you have seen a decent amount of anime it is safe to assume that on average you will enjoy most shows that you havent seen less than most shows you have seen and should rate accordingly, otherwise you are terrible at picking shows

ive updated my chart slightly to make it more clear

pie-_-Jan 3, 2017 11:08 PM
Jan 3, 2017 11:08 PM

May 2015
-Mahesvara said:
Well I rarely give out 5's, because I watch stuff that I like.
I was going to type this... and to expand my fellow MAL friend comment. If I give a 5 it was because the show (anime) that I think I would like or a series that I liked did an adaptation that was detrimental (animation, poor sound, bad drawing, awful Seiyū acting, etc.)... in the case of a manga I am more lenient (I’m open to all kinds of drawing style)but if I gave a 5 it was because the author didn’t make a good job making the story a cohesive one or simply contradicting himself/herself in the process of making his/her story (making me not care anymore about the story)...
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Gurren Lagann & KlK creator said "Fanservice in anime is necessary, else humanity will disappear"

Dije - 8 hours ago

33 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» Characters That Feel Out Of Place

FanofAction - 1 hour ago

23 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - May 13

39 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched? ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - May 14

79 by Timeline_man »»
7 minutes ago

» Disney Anime Chief: More "Acceptable" Expressions Are Necessary for the Wider Market

deg - 2 hours ago

16 by rohan121 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.