Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 26, 2016 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
Can anyone point me in the right direction here. I'm looking to get into some good VN's but I don't particularly know anything about them, where to get them, or what are some good ones to get into. How do I get VN's? Are there download websites?
Dec 26, 2016 7:49 PM
Jul 2018
Ever17 ~ the out of infinity ~
Praised as one of the best. You might wonder why is that during the first routes. They're not bad, but not godlike. And then you get to the true route. And that is just... wow.
You have to download it unless you want to pay hundreds of bucks (it's very rare)

Grisaia no Kajitsu is great too, with a 10/10 cast of characters and one of the greatest protagonists ever. You can buy that one on Steam.
Dec 27, 2016 1:27 AM

Jan 2014
Where do I download though? I don't understand how I'm supposed to get the VN's :P
Dec 27, 2016 2:15 AM

Aug 2016
DESUDESUUU said:
Where do I download though? I don't understand how I'm supposed to get the VN's :P

torrents

///////////////////////////////////////
Dec 27, 2016 2:46 AM

Mar 2016
DESUDESUUU said:

Erogedownload.com has a lot of the main ones so you should check it out. All you have to do most of the time is download, extract, mount the ISO file and install.

I'd recommend The House In Fata Morgana (see Sig and avatar). Very unorthodox and a great experience overall.

Fate Hollow Ataraxia is great too, but you need to have read Fate Stay Night (which isn't bad at all).

Anyways, Fata Morgana is the best for me.
Dec 27, 2016 3:27 AM

Aug 2013
You want to do this:

Set your system locale to Japanese in your region settings in the control panel. Download a torrent client. Then download the torrents for visual novels. Some of them come as ISO files and for them you need a program like Daemon tools lite. It's free, don't worry. Once you mount the ISO it's usually just a case of installing the English patch which you can download from translation websites.

Fuwanovel are the most popular translators. The best resource for visual novels is VNDB.

I'd recommend starting off with Sharin no Kuni or G-senjou no Maou.
Dec 27, 2016 5:21 AM

Jan 2014
Are these non-h VN's? I'm not really looking for any H VN's. Thanks for all of the responses btw guys.
Dec 27, 2016 6:00 AM

Jun 2015
DESUDESUUU said:
Are these non-h VN's? I'm not really looking for any H VN's. Thanks for all of the responses btw guys.

Most VNs have non-H versions (usually the console ones are non-H, the pc ones are H)
Dec 27, 2016 6:10 AM

Mar 2016
DESUDESUUU said:

Fata Morgana has absolutely no H. Fate has H that you can turn off and isn't integral to the plot. Both are on erogedownload though.
Dec 27, 2016 6:16 AM

Sep 2016
DESUDESUUU said:
Can anyone point me in the right direction here. I'm looking to get into some good VN's but I don't particularly know anything about them, where to get them, or what are some good ones to get into. How do I get VN's? Are there download websites?

VN "classics" are not worth bothering with. Phenomeno is a proper thing and free to download while aoi shiro and akai ito are good, they do feature some fanservice etc, but as far as writing/art/love story/overall design go they are pretty good starts (and endings 'cause 99.99% of vn's suck).
Black Closet is on steam and it's more of a dark strategy game but otherwise it's good.
Va11halla is a very humble thing to enjoy.
Cross Channel is good too.
FondenteDec 27, 2016 6:31 AM
Dec 27, 2016 6:26 AM

Mar 2008
DESUDESUUU said:

There are but a many in general do have stuff like sex scenes in it along with a story. Some havee it optional to not install those scenes so it just skips them but what's the fun in that? In some cases that makes you miss part of the story.

You could do a search on visual novel database by tag search
https://vndb.org/d6

Id suggest picking something short so you can get satisfaction quicker to build up a taste for it. First vn i made all the way through on every route was Saya no Uta. Only took me three days of constant reading. Not sure if youd want that though because it has hentai content in it.
Dec 27, 2016 6:57 AM

Nov 2012
Rather than setting your whole system locale to Japanese an alternative is to use a locale emulator:
https://github.com/xupefei/Locale-Emulator
Works 99.99% of the time for me

sunfire02 said:
DESUDESUUU said:

VN "classics" are not worth bothering with. Phenomeno is a proper thing and free to download while aoi shiro and akai ito are good, they do feature some fanservice etc, but as far as writing/art/love story/overall design go they are pretty good starts (and endings 'cause 99.99% of vn's suck).
Black Closet is on steam and it's more of a dark strategy game but otherwise it's good.

+1 for Aoi Shiro, Akai Ito and Va11halla
Dec 27, 2016 8:11 AM

Dec 2016
@Autocrat, honestly I can just open an ISO and my PC registers it like a CD. And then I can install something without a program. So far I've only done that with Windows 10 beta, back-up with games I own, without a problem. Tested it on Windows 10+8. Is such a tool more useful or just simpler in use?
@DESUDESUUU, after playing a few try The Cottager Fork. It isn't a released one, just a vn project by some people which makes references and is silly. Just around 10 minutes for every route, excluding every dead end by attacking with anything else than your garden fork (The mom with a neutral face though she's crying: 'I'm already happy I can appear in this scene to accompany you where your father even don't have a face drawn') ...Also I'm not sure if it's gone or not.
Dec 28, 2016 7:27 AM

Sep 2016
Momono said:
Rather than setting your whole system locale to Japanese an alternative is to use a locale emulator:
https://github.com/xupefei/Locale-Emulator
Works 99.99% of the time for me

sunfire02 said:

+1 for Aoi Shiro, Akai Ito and Va11halla

+1 to your +1 to my rec but some eu vns have pretty cool ideas (anything from christine love for example, I think she's a brit?), it's just I don't like the overall writing.
brb

ok she's canadian>_>
So for example I only played her Analogue: A Hate Story, which allows you to pick whatever bit of the story you want to read in a not chronological order, and puzzle things through, with the game locking things out for 12 hours after it's done with you, in a way it both respects your time and forces you to actually read, or at least differs from retarded mashing through wots.
I just don't think dealing with the anime girl ai was enough to deal with this tale of female roles in some history of korean power hierarchy thing. It was so cheesy and awkward all the way through and made little of it all.
I think I can recommend it but you'll probably forget you have it installed after a couple of sessions, I think it's on the side of the angels but you know while being cheesy and awkward can be cute the line to being manipulative/ thinking you are an idiot etc is easy to cross, generally speaking, I don't feel it's completely to save apparences but this work is just not interesting enough.
FondenteDec 28, 2016 8:04 AM
Dec 28, 2016 4:54 PM
Dec 28, 2016 5:57 PM

Nov 2015
VNDB is the best site for info about all the different Visual Novels, and keeping track of them.
Getting them you do either by buying them if they are officially translated or downloading/torrenting from wherever you can find them. (easiest is to just google it)
As for what to start with it would depend on what you want to read, if you say some genres or settings I can probably list a few good ones.

Yamato
[I like anything, so long as it's interesting.
“Shallow and wide, please” is my motto.]
Dec 28, 2016 6:04 PM

Feb 2011
play steins;gate 0
Dec 29, 2016 12:29 AM

Nov 2016
traed said:

YES +11111111

Personnal recommandation:

Psychologic: Saya no Uta
Katawa Shojo
Planetarian
Cross channel

Action and/or good story: Fate
Grisaia series
G Senjou no Maou
Sharin no Kuni

Romance/Harem: Grisaia series
Shuffle
Clannad
Sharin no kuni
Dec 29, 2016 5:55 PM

Dec 2011
Autocrat said:
Set your system locale to Japanese in your region settings in the control panel. Download a torrent client. Then download the torrents for visual novels. Some of them come as ISO files and for them you need a program like Daemon tools lite. It's free, don't worry. Once you mount the ISO it's usually just a case of installing the English patch which you can download from translation websites.

Fuwanovel are the most popular translators. The best resource for visual novels is VNDB.

traed said:

+1. Also, sometimes you can find websites that host links to download them directly without torrents. There's also steam or mangagamer where you can purchase them legally. Most are on PC, but you can find others for the nintendo DS, ps vita, iOS, among others. For these, you can download a rom and find their corresponding emulator to play them, or order/buy them.

Here's a list of the top rated vns on vndb. It may help if you want some credibility when looking for titles to play.

My first VN was Ever17 on PC, back in... 2008? I think it was a good way to have started. No H, great plot. The Ace Attorney games and Zero Escape games would be good to start with too, for the DS. These two titles have puzzle game aspects that may make the experience even more enjoyable for you. If you don't have the system to play them, it'd be really easy to find their roms online. Good luck!
Dec 29, 2016 7:20 PM

Jan 2013
Steins;gate I guess is the most obvious answer you would get from me. Little Busters! is a classic, but more than that I recommend Rewrite because it will never get a proper adaptation. I don't read many VNs even though I have a lot of them archived. Most VNs have a sex scene or two in them somewhere unless you're downloading them straight from Steam, so it really closes doors to not be able to read 18+ ones.

Fate/Stay Night has a PC version of Realta Nua which is the all ages version. They did their best to stay family friendly while maintaining the plot advancements that happen around the scenes, but a lot of stuff still feels very off without them since the symbolism and themes rely a little bit on some of the scenes, especially in Heaven's Feel.

Most generic and cheesy harem I have read or even watched in my life, with pretty shitty graphics, yet it still has a special place in my heart. I don't exactly recommend it in general but it's still worth a shot if you haven't anything better to read.

TheDeadApostle said:
Erogedownload.com has a lot of the main ones so you should check it out. All you have to do most of the time is download, extract, mount the ISO file and install.
I recommend this site simply because it's usually the most reliable on top of its ease of use. I've been hoarding ISOs and hunting down a lot of patches for later just in case of WW3/apocalypse/etc. and often times I have to turn to Erogedownload for some stuff. I really can't stress how much torrenting has lost its hold on the internet. A lot of very popular torrents are now seedless, and nobody will bother to host some stuff because official translations are now also becoming popular. There's probably not going to be just a single place you can go to for this stuff.

More topics from this board

» Nintendo is suing Palworld

Dumb - Sep 18

22 by ArabianLuffy »»
8 hours ago

» Favorite Playstation era

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 14

30 by Kajiuran »»
9 hours ago

» Updating my pc

skapito - Sep 16

25 by BigBoyAdvance »»
9 hours ago

» What's the first website you ever visited? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Aug 6, 2023

68 by BigBoyAdvance »»
9 hours ago

» Is the idea that a game needs to respect your time a contradiction on the fundamental concept of video games

Reshiram_IX - Yesterday

9 by BigBoyAdvance »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.