Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 8, 2010 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
CHERIO~!
They talk too much about writing the novel, the first bgm there was strange but cool. The pelikan ninja spoke really strangely, but it was just as simple as it could be. Effective though.
Shichika isn't the usual weirdo from the lonely island, no he's a lot more reasonable than Togame.
This fight was way better than vs. Koumori, LOL at Shichika jumping at Togame's face xD
Liked this episode much more than the first, too sad we're now in a 4 week rhythm (next ep 8.3.)
Feb 8, 2010 8:11 PM

Feb 2010
I can't wait to see the sub, this series really has me interested.
For now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.
Feb 9, 2010 5:23 AM
Jun 2008
A very nice combination,Both personality are almost completely opposite.Hahah, best couple of the season ^^

Togame's fighting evaluation on getting a "favorite phrase" is ......pointless,the most important in a fight is to win right?.....I think Togame would even beautify Shichika

Funny episode ^^
MorningGloryFeb 9, 2010 5:44 AM
Feb 9, 2010 9:17 AM

Mar 2009
They talk so much, but the fight was good and they are a really cute couple. But poor Togame. XD

Feb 9, 2010 12:41 PM

Apr 2009
I have to say, this episode was a lot more fun than the first!
Feb 9, 2010 3:22 PM

Jun 2009
Too much talking, it is almost like Bakemonogatari with swords and it is not even an interesting dialogue. I felt sorry for that ronin guy, and pretty nice finishing move. Better episode than the first, but still...
Feb 9, 2010 3:49 PM
Dec 2007
Surprisingly enough, this second episode was even better than the first one with an ever so nice animation, a fantastic fight, a bad guy full of charisma (and background) and very enjoyable dialogues. It's strange that despite its slowness and takativeness, Katana flows so much better and is so much more consistent scriptwise than Bakemono. Maybe both the medieval-fantasy setting and the higher-that-usual duration simply make the series more interesting as a slice of life adventure show ? In any way, even if it is less flashy and less hyped, I found these first two episodes to be better than the first two of Bakemonogatari, so I hope White Fox will keep up the good work and release some great new stories of Togame and Shichika every two weeks.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 9, 2010 4:37 PM
Nov 2008
40 minutes of talking 10 minutes of figthing... It was still enjoyable but some of the dialogue could be better.
I totally love Sichika's new getup and the way he plays with Togame's hair. Their interactions are mostly spot-on too.

And the enemy this time was totally awesome (cutting the ninja in two made me rofl).
Feb 9, 2010 4:40 PM

Feb 2008
they spent way too much talking but it wasn't boring. the fight was really good. this show is turning out to be really awesome..

the part where he offered her to be cut in half was just to amusing.
Feb 9, 2010 5:28 PM

May 2008
The best part when he is siting covered in her hair, and he is trying to remember her smell. In that scene they are looking almost like a good couple. :P
Feb 9, 2010 6:01 PM

Dec 2009
Honestly, I didn't expect Katanagatari to be so amusing and enjoyable. Besides that thankfully I got used to the character design. Even more, although I really disliked the way how Shichika looks after the first ep, I wouldn't change anything about him now.
Feb 9, 2010 6:41 PM

Feb 2009
She has no room to talk about his taste in clothes. The weirdest couple of the season lol! Too bad "this" was training >.>

Jeez reading what that guy is saying is a pain, thx for that ronin to end is blabbering.

Even though there is a ton of dialogue in this anime I am not bored, and understand why the need of all the talking, if it was just action this whole series would be finish in two episodes.
Feb 9, 2010 7:22 PM

Jul 2009
This best part of this anime is the dialogue. I think this may become divided into factions amongst fans, shonen and banter.

Cheerio! Togame is so cute!
Feb 9, 2010 7:42 PM

Sep 2008
Gyafun>Cheerio
imo
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2010 8:03 PM

Jul 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
Gyafun>Cheerio
imo
This, it really surprised me when he use her head as a wall XD
Feb 9, 2010 8:27 PM

Apr 2007
Hm, I do like the dialogue in this show, but it just seems to drag on and on at times. By the middle of the episode I start to get bored and it takes a little before I regain my interest. This episode was slightly more enjoyable than the first though with the better enemy. Now he was interesting. It's also a shame the duck ninja is dead, I like how he talked :<
Feb 9, 2010 11:11 PM

Nov 2007
Talking backwards his with to listen to pain real a was ninja Maniwa that. Fast so down cut got he goodness thank. Broadcasted it watching when with up put to had viewers the what imagine could I.

That aisde, the meta humour this time went even further with the whole novel discussion but did they really need to have that talk while sitting in the middle of the desert? The only trouble they(or just Togame) seemed to have was the walking distance, scorching heat and whatnot seemingly non-present. I'm really liking Shichika as a protagonist. His totally oblivious and simple minded personality really makes their relationship seem more like a girl and her new pet more than travelling partners. Yet at the same time he has just enough self awareness and intelligence to make himself stand out as his own character instead of a loyal dog. I loved his reason for having Togame stand behind him, to name one instance.
Feb 10, 2010 1:22 AM

Jul 2008
cheerio! rofl
so they got another sword - the sharpest blade, the dude used his own blood to cut down on friction, thats badass
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Feb 10, 2010 1:30 AM

Oct 2008
Gyafun!!

More Action, Less Talking please =\

Feb 10, 2010 1:47 AM

May 2009
If you want more action and less talking, watch One Piece, Naruto, Bleach or any other shounen-fight series. Katanagatari is fine as it is.
Feb 10, 2010 3:39 AM

Oct 2008
lol no thanks but still like someone said above

40 minutes of talking 10 minutes of figthing

Feb 10, 2010 3:57 AM

Mar 2008
Basically, they're just sitting in the middle of the freacking desert, chatting about whatever for whatever reasons...

Yet, why was that not boring for a bit, and even enjoyable I must say...?
Feb 10, 2010 4:08 AM

Sep 2009
This was a very amusing episode. I find Togame to be pretty cute...but I fear she has some secrets that we won't like....idk, just guessing here.
Feb 10, 2010 5:53 AM

Oct 2009
Uneri Kinkaku was incredible but old and looked out of energy. Inaba area was interesting especially the castle but how did it ever get into a dessert? Just be expansion.....I would not think so but I am no geography expert at all. Shirasagi Maniwa was a interesting ninja=>
talking backwards but it irritated me more than anything....good thing he is gone. Togame was absolutely cute with her eyes=>
but also with her full blush=>
her expressions of Cheerio and Gyafun were also pleasant. OP is a favorite as of now! This part absolutely sensual in its unique way and this=>
I would not mind but I have Sawako.. :P Kyoto talking/staying was just view wise nice...maybe those 2 guys part was interesting. The fight was amazing and deserves its own GIF Kyotouryuu 7th art Rakka Rouzeki!=>
also Zerosen five lives!=> some GIFs of Togame are interesting also=>
She mentions dominatrix but look at her shows....they look like they might be from a dominatrix=>
Overall the episode was fantastic but It was disappointing that the sword was not shown like in the last one... :(
Laevantein said:
HawthorneKitty said:
Gyafun>Cheerio
imo
This, it really surprised me when he use her head as a wall XD
Yeah same here..female abuse! XD and the above is wrong! It's more Cheerio>Gyafun
Sillya said:
They talk so much, but the fight was good and they are a really cute couple. But poor Togame. XD
Poor Togame yes but talking is good...explains a lot with area, people and history of the world of this series.
Kantarou said:
Talking backwards his with to listen to pain real a was ninja Maniwa that. Fast so down cut got he goodness thank. Broadcasted it watching when with up put to had viewers the what imagine could I.
The talk backwards was annoying and that is so true.

Kantarou said:
That aisde, the meta humour this time went even further with the whole novel discussion but did they really need to have that talk while sitting in the middle of the desert? The only trouble they(or just Togame) seemed to have was the walking distance, scorching heat and whatnot seemingly non-present.

Yes she looked like she had problems with long distance and climate....could that be why she brought a lot of clothing? Also the talk in the middle of the dessert about a "catchphrase"? Ok sure....
Kantarou said:
I'm really liking Shichika as a protagonist. His totally oblivious and simple minded personality really makes their relationship seem more like a girl and her new pet more than travelling partners.

Personally I liked more that Togame has a shy side that is not overwhelming like Louise in Zero no Tsukaima.
Kantarou said:
Yet at the same time he has just enough self awareness and intelligence to make himself stand out as his own character instead of a loyal dog. I loved his reason for having Togame stand behind him, to name one instance.
Yeah that I agree with.....it's a good aspect of Shichika
maikun said:
Gyafun!!
That one is no good.
francismeunierFeb 10, 2010 6:02 AM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Feb 10, 2010 6:24 AM

Apr 2009
'-shock- ...is how I figure I should react, but what's the problem, exactly?'
'...my tongue slipped.' XD That was so cute.

I don't know, I don't mind all the talking xP For action I have FMA. This, I have for Shichika and his simple mind x) (Yes, I'm really starting to like him.)
Also, new ED? You mean, every episode will have a different ED? Cool (:
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Feb 10, 2010 7:34 AM

Jul 2009
/cry The coolest one in this episode died. We shall see if later adversaries match his coolness.
Feb 10, 2010 7:40 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Pretty amazing....

LOL at Togame's hair training with Shichika....

Cheerio~
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 10, 2010 9:13 AM

Oct 2009
wakka9ca said:

LOL at Togame's hair training with Shichika....
I though it was more sensual than funny...

Feb 10, 2010 12:09 PM
Sep 2009
I also liked the "I figured out a new strategy... lets retreat and he will bleed to death" part :D
Feb 10, 2010 12:22 PM

Dec 2009
yorar said:
The best part when he is siting covered in her hair, and he is trying to remember her smell. In that scene they are looking almost like a good couple. :P
it's just training :3
Feb 10, 2010 12:27 PM

Dec 2007
I just discovered it is written by the same guy who made Bakemonogatari.

Suddenly it's much better!
Feb 10, 2010 12:50 PM

Jul 2009
look at that arm xD ouch

my paint skills are bad but ouch xD

francis, is this gif-able?
Even if our opinions differ, you are awesome!
Feb 10, 2010 1:08 PM

Sep 2009
This is definitely going to be the best anime of the season, maybe of 2010.
Love the characters, the talking is done really well, and doesnt bore me, animation is a fresh whiff of wind, I love the story, and there is plenty of good humor.

Cheerio!
No sig :(
Feb 10, 2010 1:37 PM

Jun 2009
2nd episode was better than the first one, but I still wish the fight had been better than what it was. Also WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS CHEERIO

Durarara!! still the best show this season.
Feb 10, 2010 5:42 PM

Jul 2009
The fight was really good and I liked this episode better than the first one :D

So does this anime get aired every month?
This is a signature.
Feb 10, 2010 5:51 PM

Oct 2009
ShiraKiryuu said:
The fight was really good and I liked this episode better than the first one :D

So does this anime get aired every month?

Yes every month but it's 1 hour long.

Feb 10, 2010 6:42 PM

Feb 2010
blan blah blah blah...

theres a lot of talk in this episode... >_<
Feb 10, 2010 7:35 PM

Apr 2008
I enjoyed this episode soooooo much more than the first. I'm likin' this series now. :P
People need to stop complaining about all the talking. Like someone else said, if you want more action and less talking, watch some shitty shounen series. NOW, some of the dialogue is a tad bit on the boring side, but still fun and enjoyable.
Feb 10, 2010 7:36 PM
Oct 2009
I enjoyed this episode, but there's still too much talking. I'm not against lots of dialogue, but it gets a little tiring when it takes up the vast majority of the hour.

Quentin Tarantino can make scenes of just dialogue fantastically riveting.. Katanagatari's dialogue is just mildly amusing. Maybe if I was Japanese, I'd enjoy it more, but even then.. At least Bakemonogatari peppered up the monotony of its dialogue with the jump cuts, odd angles, and cutaways.

Still pretty good though. The fight was cool, and I do enjoy seeing Togame and Shichika interact.
Feb 10, 2010 11:24 PM

Oct 2009
DukeofFunk said:
I enjoyed this episode, but there's still too much talking. I'm not against lots of dialogue, but it gets a little tiring when it takes up the vast majority of the hour.
I agree on the stupid talking of catchphrase like I said before especially in the dessert of all things.

Feb 11, 2010 1:06 AM

Apr 2009
I concur. It is not the amount of dialogue, but what is being said that causes the fatigue. You can seriously just tune out listen to the anime, and just watch something else for the first 25 min or so...and the "fallen for you" tripe is becoming a shallow plot device...we get it: they're gonna protect/grind on each other. Find something else to progress with the inside story...

I'd hate to say this, but this one is walking a fine line between interesting and repulsive.
Feb 11, 2010 1:28 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
wahh so much dialogue. I'm not complaining, it's just not what I'm use to.

I want more romance :3
p r o f i l e 👀
Feb 11, 2010 10:38 AM

Jan 2009
Holy carp! That's a pretty damn quick boat xD Or if not, at least Shichika is awesome when it comes to rowing, and fighting da powah ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Anyway, the art is still pretty interesting ヽ(´Д`ヽ)
"A lady's fashion sense." Right, because that sense was obviously not present when she got her outfit ┐(-。ー')┌ But I guess she's cute anyway ◕ ◡ ◕
Not to mention Shichika's new outfit ..! He does seem to have some kind of fetish for exposing his chest ┐('~`;)┌
Ah btw! Shichika's awesome, in case anyone didn't notice! ヽ(´Д`ヽ)
Interesting guy actually, a weird, but no doubt effective, way for an uncivilized young man to learn how to recognize a human (っ´Д`)っ
OH GOD it's over 9000 in annoyingness reading what this Shirasagi guy says ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Down upside is face his why and nickname the explain might it though.
Even don't I this is what ٩(๏_๏)۶
Die he did?
Anyway... Funny how the desert apparantly spread out from the sea, and not until it reached the sea... More reversing (‐^▽^‐)
Maniwani~ ( ¯‿¯)
Mendou~ ( ¯‿¯)
Cheerio~ ( ¯‿¯)
Yep, I'm having quite some fun ( ¯‿¯)
However, by that time you'll have been torn into pieces.
Cheerio~ ( ¯‿¯)
Oh I just can't seem to stop ┐(-。ー')┌
And Shichika has no common sense at all, I mean.. Even I know well enough that you don't call a lady heavy ( ◔ ◔)
This Uneri guy's got a nice attitude btw ( ゚ ー ゚)
And so she steps right into his range, eh? Luckily for Togame, Shichika was there ツ
Yeah, right, faster than light, sure... Then that sword would dissolve (¬_¬) Oh right, I shouldn't try to apply physics to anime ( ´∀`)
Gyafun~

Tl;dr this is probably one of the better shows of the season tbh ( ̄ー ̄)
And also, I find it funny that they call it the "Owari" Shogunate (=´∇`=)
Lastly.. What's up with Togame's eye anyway? щ(゚Д゚щ)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Feb 12, 2010 2:35 AM

Jan 2009
i thought this will be like samurai x trust and betrayal with a lot of sword fights but instead there is too much talking i think its a mediocre anime
Feb 12, 2010 3:33 AM

Oct 2008
ios said:
i thought this will be like samurai x trust and betrayal with a lot of sword fights but instead there is too much talking i think its a mediocre anime

Unfortunately I can't help but agree with everyone else about how the dialog either didn't translate well into English or just isn't engaging at all. While there were a few redeeming qualities in this episode already mentioned, like the scene in the beginning with the hair, but it didn't go far enough in my opinnion. The development at this point is very shallow. The characters are still very static, and the discussion in the desert about his catchphrase was indeed lame. No one else here has mentioned yet that this guy...

Really reminds me of Byakuya Kuchiki from Bleach.

This show seems to be missing the edginess that Bakemonogatari had. I really enjoyed the first episode and thought that it had a lot of potential. After this episode I'm starting to agree with some of the original criticisms. Episode two did seem like it was a show made for Saturday mornings on the WB. Who knows maybe someday it will be a fit like Yu-gi-Oh!. I Still can't completely dislike this series yet, but if things stay as is, I might have to leave this one for the 13 and under crowd.
Feb 12, 2010 4:24 PM

Apr 2009
REEEALLY good episode,2th best of the season. ^^
Feb 12, 2010 4:50 PM

Jun 2009
If I wanted to read a novel, I'd open a book.
Feb 13, 2010 12:53 AM

Dec 2009
I'm not sure if this ep was worth the five hour download. :/
Feb 13, 2010 2:11 AM

Sep 2008
Plenty of dialogue is good and all but.... the dialogue in this makes it so much worse than it could be. It is just lame and drags on about really stupid things. Apart from the pointless dialogue I am enjoying the plot (even though it isn't anything special) and the fights seem like they will be good despite all the monologues. I guess they suit the kind of era this is based in though.

I am enjoying this but it could be so much better IMO. Togame is too annoying...
Feb 13, 2010 5:52 AM
Nov 2008
I love this ! Gyafun ! It's interesting and sorta unique with the art and story.Although there is much dialogue ,I feel that it doesn't waste anything of the story and that it actually helps the story and characters develop .And it's entertaining too , funny.Like it
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Yesterday, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.