Forum Settings
Forums

Do you like anime characters more than real people?

New
Dec 18, 2016 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
Aside of course from the people who are closest to you, does anyone care more about anime characters than random people you interact with IRL or online or even acquaintances? Or maybe even "friends" for some people?

I started thinking about this and for me the answer in most cases is actually yes even though anime characters arent real. So it made me wonder if its because when you're watching anime you get access into the lives and minds of the characters that you dont get with real people. Like maybe if you could see into peoples lives and their thoughts and problems like we get to in anime there wouldnt be so much hate on the internet and in the world and people would care more abut each other? What do you all think?
Dec 18, 2016 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
well thank you you're really kind. My social skills are actually good and ive had a lot of "friends" but i have to act to do it, and i hate doing that so i decided to avoid people on my own not necessarily because i cant do it. Thank you again though.
Dec 18, 2016 8:53 PM

Feb 2015
There is a reason why I'm still at MAL, and living inside my head, loves mah waifu so much.
Dec 18, 2016 8:55 PM

Jul 2012
I do not like anime characters more than real people their lives tend to be way too out there to find a connection for me.
Dec 18, 2016 8:55 PM

Jul 2016
I wish real girls acted like anime girls, but there's too many idiots in the USA that they'd get taken advantage of. That's probably a contributing factor why they don't, but everyone is an anime character on the inside.
Dec 18, 2016 8:56 PM

Oct 2012
No.

Real people can reciprocate; written characters cannot.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 18, 2016 9:07 PM

Oct 2016
Of course not. Real people are far more complex and fascinating than a fictional character could ever be.
Dec 18, 2016 9:19 PM

Jan 2016
People are the most simple and most complicated animals going around. Yet, despite my discomfort with them, I'd still choose real people since there's always that chance of acknowledgement from people. Anime characters will just live in my fantasy, in my head.
Dec 18, 2016 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
Yozuramune said:
People are the most simple and most complicated animals going around. Yet, despite my discomfort with them, I'd still choose real people since there's always that chance of acknowledgement from people. Anime characters will just live in my fantasy, in my head.

Choosing the future over a fantasy, how beautiful reminds me of mekakucity actors. I really like your taste btw, haganai was one of my first anime and yozura was my favorite character in it as well.
Dec 18, 2016 9:31 PM
Jul 2018
NihilLoli_Gasan said:
Of course not. Real people are far more complex and fascinating than a fictional character could ever be.

I think i agree its just that its impossible to get into the minds of other people, if i could i know i would be way more interested in others.
Dec 18, 2016 9:36 PM

Jan 2009
i can understand your reasoning but i bet you are young since i felt that way when i was younger too that like you i can understand the mind of the characters on screen since every thoughts are shown, meanwhile in real life its hard to read people properly, although once you grow older that feeling will decrease or balance out for you to equally like fantasy and reality
Dec 18, 2016 10:10 PM

Oct 2012
Anime characters are cool and everything but they're definitely not better than real people.

Sure, at first they seem easier to understand than real people but that's just because we can see their monologues and certain other things.

People can be confusing and inconsistent but that's what make them real. In anime and manga, the "tsundere" is almost always "tsundere" but in real life, it would be rather hard to keep up the same thing.

Other people may seem distant but that's because you don't know them well enough. Just like how characters in stories are fleshed out gradually, you have to put in the effort to find out more about others.

Besides, you can interact with people, be hated or loved by them but the same can't be said for fictional characters.

Since I was young, I had believed that
A princess in picture book is a strong person
Things to be protected, and things I want to protect
Will never be fulfilled, no matter how long, if I just kept dreaming

Go ahead.jpg
Dec 18, 2016 10:39 PM

Sep 2016
I would have liked to say, "yes, I like anime people more", but it's hard to honestly say that. It really depends on the kind of anime people you get to interact with. In almost every anime, there's always this mad psychopath, if not there's unstable people, or disgustingly perverse, or people who never change or have any sort of "character development".

Of course there are good people in anime (duh), but the chance of actually meeting or talking to someone who has the exact same interests as you, and isn't weird enough for your taste, is about the same as it would be currently IRL, IMHO.
Anime people are pretty much the same thing as people IRL, just usually more unstable.

Dec 18, 2016 10:58 PM

Aug 2016
replace my friends, family, and even my dog with anime chars.
Dec 20, 2016 12:36 AM

Sep 2015
Definitely, most of the time the people around you suck thats why I don't consider anyone my friend but as a senpai or etc. But my true friends are actually anime characters.

Everyone on my phone contacts is labeled as an anime character with the profile picture to go with it (I put their real names in contact notes but sometimes I have no clue who is calling). I base their character off of their real personality.

At Highschool :
Waifus > 3-D girls

For example : If I somehow have a girl arguing with me or being rude to me in some way at school, I would just zone out and pretend she's a tsundere highschool girl from an anime.
Hinata-chiDec 20, 2016 12:40 AM
Dec 20, 2016 12:56 AM

Aug 2011
To be honest, even though I know that it isn't actually real, fiction is almost more real to me than reality is... though I guess that comes with the territory of being a shut-in who has no friends, doesn't interact with people, etc.. I almost don't even consider myself a part of the world.

There are plenty of anime characters that I love dearly... much more than people i've ever known IRL. That being said, there are many characters that I do not like, and that irritate me... the same as a real person I disliked would.
Dec 20, 2016 5:46 AM

Nov 2016
At least I can turn off anime if they start spouting dumb shit.
Dec 20, 2016 6:01 AM

Mar 2016
No..I don't ever care that much of real people but I do care a little for my favourite characters.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Dec 20, 2016 6:12 AM

Dec 2016
I hate real people, so of course I like anime people better. People are just stupid.
Dec 20, 2016 4:20 PM

Jun 2015
yes i'm edgy so I dislike real people and care for my anime family
Dec 20, 2016 4:23 PM

Jan 2016
Oh god. Humanity is in danger. #Escape.

Lines
Dec 20, 2016 4:28 PM

Aug 2016
Until the technology is developed to actually let me be in the anime, I will prefer real people.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Dec 21, 2016 4:02 AM
May 2016
Apart from a select few, I don't get the urge to punch anime characters in the face.
Apr 16, 2022 3:26 AM
Jan 2022
deg said:
i can understand your reasoning but i bet you are young since i felt that way when i was younger too that like you i can understand the mind of the characters on screen since every thoughts are shown, meanwhile in real life its hard to read people properly, although once you grow older that feeling will decrease or balance out for you to equally like fantasy and reality

Idk abt that, when i was a kid, i loved associating real people. Im 17 now, (still a kid i guess)older, and i dislike real people idk anyways
Apr 16, 2022 3:31 AM

May 2021
For now, I shall reluctantly choose real people.

Apr 16, 2022 11:27 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Yea i do... Real people are liars, violent, change their attitude according to their needs. They are greedy, pretends to be friends and make false promises..wear 5 masks to hide their true self..

They can't be trusted.. be it a mechanic or doctor.. you fix one thing, they mess up another so as to keep making profit...
Horrible sob..

Apr 16, 2022 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
Immeasurably so. Not just anime, though, but I enjoy all fictional characters more than real people. No matter how hard a writer tries to make their characters human, there is always an impassable barrier that separates them from the cruel and flawed nature of the real human organism. A written character has no will, no agenda, no ability or desire to hurt anyone or anything outside of the universe crafted around them. Their existence is pure and perfect, whereas even the seemingly nicest people in reality can cause immense suffering whether they intend to or not.
removed-userApr 16, 2022 7:28 PM
Apr 16, 2022 7:39 PM

Aug 2009

...In case anyone can't tell, I prefer real people to anime girls.

Apr 16, 2022 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
If I was obsessed with real people I would've been into Photography and watched TV/movies then, but I don't, and not interested in such things.
Apr 17, 2022 7:59 AM
Jul 2018
No. But I understand this. Characters are logical, they are designed to be one thing and they do things for reasons. Real people are much more complex and that can be scary. Like we literally try to make sense of tragedies through fictional characters, I feel like.

I'm not really a people person either, but I'm glad to have made the friends that I've made.
Finding the right kind of weeaboo to hang out with makes life a little bit more fun.
Apr 17, 2022 10:17 AM

Sep 2021
Anime characters anytime...
Real people r complex, simple,fascinating cuz udk whats going on in their mind, and real ofc...
But an the end of the day they r gonna disappoint u. They lack sensibility, consistency and knowledge to understand another person. If worst comes to worst they r always gonna think abt themselves. Real people leave, change, hurt and thrown u away ... cuz well thats what they r there for. To show that u r better off on ur own.
I would anytime choose an anime character over an actual person. Since they r hot and stick to their actual character.
Unlike worthless 3d people who keep changing almost every month. Think they r the victims when they r ones deceiving everyone
Apr 17, 2022 10:19 AM

Sep 2021
ryo-san said:
Yea i do... Real people are liars, violent, change their attitude according to their needs. They are greedy, pretends to be friends and make false promises..wear 5 masks to hide their true self..

They can't be trusted.. be it a mechanic or doctor.. you fix one thing, they mess up another so as to keep making profit...
Horrible sob..

I cant agree more...
u on the right track đź‘Ť
Apr 17, 2022 11:31 PM

Sep 2018
Once an anime girl called me a baka...I only have 3D waifus now...
Apr 17, 2022 11:55 PM
Mar 2022
Fuck no, I'd rather be around a real person rather than a 2d image.
Apr 18, 2022 1:26 AM
Jan 2022
I mean I like my 2D bois but c'mon, my real homies are way better in every way possible.
Apr 24, 2022 2:34 AM

Jun 2021
At least I can turn off anime if they start spouting dumb shit.

I hate real people, so of course I like anime people better. People are just stupid.

Apart from a select few, I don't get the urge to punch anime characters in the face.

Anime characters anytime...
Real people r complex, simple,fascinating cuz udk whats going on in their mind, and real ofc...
But an the end of the day they r gonna disappoint u. They lack sensibility, consistency and knowledge to understand another person. If worst comes to worst they r always gonna think abt themselves. Real people leave, change, hurt and thrown u away ... cuz well thats what they r there for. To show that u r better off on ur own.

Unlike worthless 3d people who keep changing almost every month. Think they r the victims when they r ones deceiving everyone

All of this. To be fair, at some point i gave up after having always been on the receiving end of bad deeds described before and told "if everyone else acts like a tool and always gets away with it, why can't i?" and actually went through it, to both people who didn't deserve it but also to a lot who did. Even after apologizing to the formers, they accepted all but clearly still didn't want me to be around and that's absolutely fine. As a result... yes, i like anime characters more than real people, unironically, no offence to the few real friends i still have now in my mid to late 30's, and at the same time if everyone tells that they prefer 2D people rather than someone like me, i won't be offended at all.
Apr 24, 2022 4:43 AM
Dec 2017
Yep and the only real people i like are basically my close friends outside of parents and pets.

More topics from this board

» Why are some users Racist here?

puneetsingh - 8 hours ago

23 by MellowJello »»
52 seconds ago

» Tired of social relationships

EmiliaHoarfrost - Sep 22

30 by MellowJello »»
2 minutes ago

» Can I Still make Shit posts on MAL?

MellowJello - 22 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» What are some authors and figures that you hold in high esteem?

FilthyApollo - Yesterday

14 by EmiliaHoarfrost »»
30 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

76 by GreatDubai021 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.