Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 10, 2017 7:22 AM

Jan 2013
RX-782 said:
How short is this game? I pre ordered it and stuff but haven't had the time to sit down and play it.

I'm hoping this game keeps me busy for a while, was pretty disappointed how short ffxv and re7 were story-wise.
It's nothing like Platinum's other games. You're going to get a nice medium length package. Guaranteed 30+ hours if you only do main missions. 45+ hours if you include side quests. I do not recommend skipping the side quests either, Yoko Taro's writing and quirkiness really shines here. I almost shat myself from laughing in a particular quest about stamps.

When you start, just power through the main missions until you unlock fast travel, then hit the sides.
Mar 10, 2017 11:38 AM
Jun 2014
Is it as good as Bayonetta 1?
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Mar 10, 2017 4:37 PM

Aug 2012
Jiharo said:
There are a total of 26 endings, from A-Z.

Is removing the OS Chip one of the endings? I was kinda curious and what happened next was funny lol.
Mar 10, 2017 4:39 PM

Jun 2011
MrAwesome2017 said:
Jiharo said:
There are a total of 26 endings, from A-Z.

Is removing the OS Chip one of the endings? I was kinda curious and what happened next was funny lol.

It's ending T. Only A-E are actual endings, the rest are just silly ways of getting a game over.
Mar 10, 2017 4:41 PM

Aug 2012
Narmy said:
It's ending T. Only A-E are actual endings, the rest are just silly ways of getting a game over.

Ah i see, i'm gonna try to get most of them.
Mar 10, 2017 8:17 PM

Sep 2014
Anyone been able to beat the prologue on the hardest difficulty yet? Shit, I thought Dark Souls or Bloodborne was hard, but Nier is a whole different beast of difficulty. Not only do you want to give up cause there is no checkpoints in the prologue, but anything can kill you in one hit. I've tried about 7 times and I keep dying from the dual chainsaw things.
Mar 10, 2017 10:59 PM

Oct 2012
Narmy said:
MrAwesome2017 said:

Not really though.

Ending Y was awesome. I love that ending the most.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Mar 12, 2017 12:47 AM

Mar 2016
Elegade said:
Anyone been able to beat the prologue on the hardest difficulty yet? Shit, I thought Dark Souls or Bloodborne was hard, but Nier is a whole different beast of difficulty. Not only do you want to give up cause there is no checkpoints in the prologue, but anything can kill you in one hit. I've tried about 7 times and I keep dying from the dual chainsaw things.

I figure you've past it by now, but I reccomend doing the intro on normal and then switching afterwords when there's save points
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2017 1:02 AM

Sep 2014
Extect said:
Elegade said:

I figure you've past it by now, but I reccomend doing the intro on normal and then switching afterwords when there's save points

That's exactly how i beat the prologue. I could not for the life of me beat it on the hardest difficulty.
Mar 12, 2017 1:54 AM

Jan 2013
Okay, finished all the sidequests.

10/10 for me. Especially for the writing.

Character of the game goes to Emil because he suffered the most. Seeing him in Nier and then in a "sort-of" state while learning his backstory and how he survived the events between Nier and Automata is soul-crushingly depressing.

Best side-quest:

Mar 12, 2017 3:14 PM

Nov 2008
I find it weird how outraged people still are about Denuvo. Here is a picture of the Steam boards for Nier Automata.

They talk about the Denuvo servers being shut down as if the same thing can't happen to Steam and as if the PlayStation 4's will last forever. Most people throw their consoles away when they die, so replacement parts probably won't be cheap. If it's the motherboard, you can forget it and just buy another of the consoles that are no longer in production and increasingly rare. DRM sucks, yes, but unless you only play GOG games, you probably deal with it on a regular basis. As a PC gamer, I just accept the sad truth that games have become services. I've never had a problem with Denuvo.

Mar 12, 2017 8:51 PM

Jan 2013
Ezekiel said:
I find it weird how outraged people still are about Denuvo. Here is a picture of the Steam boards for Nier Automata.

They talk about the Denuvo servers being shut down as if the same thing can't happen to Steam and as if the PlayStation 4's will last forever. Most people throw their consoles away when they die, so replacement parts probably won't be cheap. If it's the motherboard, you can forget it and just buy another of the consoles that are no longer in production and increasingly rare. DRM sucks, yes, but unless you only play GOG games, you probably deal with it on a regular basis. As a PC gamer, I just accept the sad truth that games have become services. I've never had a problem with Denuvo.
The denuvo hate is a meme perpetuated by pirates and toasterusers that are still in denial over their rigs being shit. It doesn't mess with SSDs or performance. It only fucks with pirates but that's the intended purpose.
PeenusWeenusCaimMar 12, 2017 8:56 PM
Mar 13, 2017 5:20 AM

Sep 2016
gameinformer's review was okay if very clear. going to buy cheap in a year

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nier_automata/b/playstation4/archive/2017/03/06/nier-automata-game-informer-review.aspx
FondenteMar 14, 2017 1:34 AM
Mar 13, 2017 4:08 PM

Jan 2013
To those who plan on pirating the game. Don't do it.

There's a portion in the game that makes an absolutely clever use of the network feature. And the way it works is downright emotional.

Ending E spoilers
PeenusWeenusCaimMar 13, 2017 4:19 PM
Mar 13, 2017 4:15 PM

Jun 2011
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

There's a scene in the game that makes an absolutely clever use of the network feature. And the way it works is downright emotional.

Ending E spoilers

Mar 13, 2017 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
Narmy said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

There's a scene in the game that makes an absolutely clever use of the network feature. And the way it works is downright emotional.

Ending E spoilers

Mar 13, 2017 4:31 PM
Apr 2013
Yeah, I will pirate it anyway and buy it later when I have the cash.
Mar 13, 2017 4:37 PM

Nov 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Character of the game goes to Emil because he suffered the most. Seeing him in Nier and then in a "sort-of" state while learning his backstory and how he survived the events between Nier and Automata is soul-crushingly depressing.

Best side-quest:

How much screen time does Emil have? Which Nier 1 ending does Automata follow?
Mar 13, 2017 4:48 PM

Jan 2013
SpamuraiSensei said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Best side-quest:

How much screen time does Emil have? Which Nier 1 ending does Automata follow?
Enough to the point where it's not banking on nostalgia but enough to serve as a nice reference to the previous game.
PeenusWeenusCaimMar 13, 2017 5:30 PM
Mar 14, 2017 12:14 AM

Mar 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Narmy said:

and the depth of the story... probably my new fave game over the last of us
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2017 6:34 PM

Aug 2012
''You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?''

That message at the maze was so random, it made me laugh so hard. I'm rly liking 9S hacking mini-games and it's 8-bit music.
Mar 14, 2017 7:27 PM

Sep 2012
Picking it up once CPY cracks it.

Maybe will try the first game beforehand since I saw it in a bargain bit, but I already know about the Shingeki no Kyojin twist with the shades, so who knows if it will be as enjoyable.
Mar 14, 2017 8:59 PM

Mar 2016
SH4kun said:

Maybe will try the first game beforehand since I saw it in a bargain bit, but I already know about the Shingeki no Kyojin twist with the shades, so who knows if it will be as enjoyable.

I don't understand why people pirate games... like seriously support the industry a bit...
Mar 14, 2017 9:45 PM

Jan 2013
Extect said:
SH4kun said:

I don't understand why people pirate games... like seriously support the industry a bit...
Just let it go friend. You can't prevent poorfaggotry.

Instead, give them pity for not being able to experience a great moment in video games since the network feature is disabled for them.
Mar 15, 2017 3:19 AM

Oct 2012
I'm glad Sq Enix decided to release it for JP on steam too but out of all the countries released.....it's the most expensive.

Why Square Enix.....why.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Mar 15, 2017 5:17 AM

Jan 2013
Not really. He's calling an intended design choice such as multiple playthroughs an "issue". Which is dumb because that's not a flaw at all.

Repeating a scene but playing it through a different perspective is a tried and true literary device and works especially well for this kind of narrative. The different playstyle for 9S also ensures that there's no repetition on the combat aspect either.
Mar 15, 2017 8:05 AM

Sep 2012
Extect said:
SH4kun said:

Because I can.

I'm not gonna give a pathetic excuse like most piratefags say "I pirate to try it, I swear" nor will I ever feel delusioned enough to believe I'm in a moral high ground just because I supported an obviously mega autistic guy with a mask.

If the game is supposed to fail, it will fail regardless of my support. The reverse also applies. Nier Autómata is selling despiste being niche, so that should be good enough news for the fans of the series.

PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Not really. He's calling an intended design choice such as multiple playthroughs an "issue". Which is dumb because that's not a flaw at all.

Repeating a scene but playing it through a different perspective is a tried and true literary device and works especially well for this kind of narrative. The different playstyle for 9S also ensures that there's no repetition on the combat aspect either.

It is as long as they have not enough resources to make the new playthrough a fresh experience. One of the reasons Odin Sphere (the original, I didn't buy the remake) sucked so hard (aside from the combat being bland and the food system feeling like a grindy waste of my time) was the huge repetition of stages and bosses for each of the 5 different protagonist, to the point where when I finally beat Gwyndolin and Cornelius stories I was like "nah, fuck that" when I saw most of the repeating stages I had to do and I dropped it faster than lightning. That game was the definition of quantity over quality.

So yes, it's a flaw. How big it can be depends on the player.
Mar 15, 2017 8:47 AM

Sep 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Ugh ofc he knows it's intended and he's talking about how meaningful progression is not how much breadth the combat has, he clearly knows what he's talking about.:/
FondenteMar 15, 2017 9:03 AM
Mar 15, 2017 1:44 PM

Jan 2013
Saccaed said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Ugh ofc he knows it's intended and he's talking about how meaningful progression is not how much breadth the combat has, he clearly knows what he's talking about.:/
SH4kun said:
It is as long as they have not enough resources to make the new playthrough a fresh experience. One of the reasons Odin Sphere (the original, I didn't buy the remake) sucked so hard (aside from the combat being bland and the food system feeling like a grindy waste of my time) was the huge repetition of stages and bosses for each of the 5 different protagonist, to the point where when I finally beat Gwyndolin and Cornelius stories I was like "nah, fuck that" when I saw most of the repeating stages I had to do and I dropped it faster than lightning. That game was the definition of quantity over quality.

So yes, it's a flaw. How big it can be depends on the player.
No, it isn't.

"I'm replaying a game sequence! There's a difference in narrative and gameplay, but the stage and enemy design are the same, this is awful!". This is intended. The entire point. Changing the level and enemy design when replaying a sequence would not make sense, and would contradict all the events going on in the first playthrough. Instead of being stupid, and criticizing the entire technique itself, it's better to criticize the implementation of the technique. Does the change in perspective really feel like a change in perspective? Is the gameplay different? Do we learn anything from the story that we otherwise wouldn't have known from the other character's perspective? If you can answer the three questions with a "yes" then it's a successful implementation. If not, then it's a failed implementation. And from what I've played in Nier Automata, the change in perspective really does feel like a change in perspective.

Just because you had a bad experience with one game that implements the changing perspective technique, does not mean the entire technique and its every use is a flaw. And even then, that "bad experience" is up for debate.
Mar 15, 2017 1:50 PM

Sep 2016
The reviewer guy is not generalizing, you just don't know what he is talking about
Mar 15, 2017 1:54 PM

Jul 2012
I wasn't expecting the first boss to fire a million orbs at me and I died. Now I have to start from the beginning. This game is rude :(
Mar 15, 2017 2:10 PM

Mar 2016
AholePony said:
I wasn't expecting the first boss to fire a million orbs at me and I died. Now I have to start from the beginning. This game is rude :(

i had to replay the introduction like 6 times lol, then i switched to normal and beat it on my first try
Mar 15, 2017 2:11 PM

Jan 2013
Saccaed said:
The reviewer guy is not generalizing, you just don't know what he is talking about
Prove it.

Oh wait, you can't because you haven't played the game lmao
Mar 15, 2017 2:11 PM

Mar 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Extect said:

Just let it go friend. You can't prevent poorfaggotry.

Instead, give them pity for not being able to experience a great moment in video games since the network feature is disabled for them.

haha yeah good point that would really hurt their experiance
Mar 15, 2017 2:13 PM

Sep 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Saccaed said:
Prove it.

You don’t acquire many additional techniques that open up new angles in battle, and the differences in your heroes’ abilities (like hacking foes instead of attacking them) doesn’t add meaningful variety. As a result, your tactics at the beginning and end of the game are largely the same. You get new weapons with varying attack speeds and combo patterns, but they don’t feel different enough to justify your ability to switch between two weapon sets – especially when comparing weapons that have been upgraded (which requires some component farming) versus those that haven’t. The different visual effects are cool, but I rarely had a practical reason to stray from the weapon set I had invested in most heavily.

Under the hood, the main source of growth comes from equipping plug-in chips that provide a wide range of bonuses, from increased melee attacks to health regeneration. Capacity for these is limited, so the strategy comes from maximizing benefit and minimizing cost through a clever fusion system. For instance, combining two chips that give you a four-percent boost to weapon attacks is more cost-effective than equipping them individually, freeing up space for additional improvements. I like this in concept, but most plug-ins only provide percentage-based boosts to stats and abilities, so they don’t do much to diversify your arsenal.

Nier: Automata also has problems with repetition, an issue that plagued its predecessor. The story is stretched over three campaigns that send you back to the same areas, and even the exact same story moments and encounters. How and why this happens is one of Nier: Automata’s surprises, so I won’t ruin it, but don’t be fooled when the credits roll. While this unfolding narrative and its hidden endings is an interesting experiment, it spreads the world too thin and doesn’t add enough new information when you revisit familiar situations. By the time I reached the true ending after nearly 40 hours (and most of the side quests), I felt like I only saw about 25 hours worth of game cut up and reconstituted in various ways.

I don't know man think I'll listen to the guy who knows something about design making points about repetition and mechanical loss of meaning.
He's not saying it's a bad game so you don't actually need to white knight stuff alright?
Mar 15, 2017 2:24 PM

Aug 2013
The game that nearly compels me to keep my PS4. Oh well, I'll just get it on PC when I upgrade my computer. :3
Mar 15, 2017 2:27 PM

Jan 2013
Saccaed said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Prove it.

You don’t acquire many additional techniques that open up new angles in battle, and the differences in your heroes’ abilities (like hacking foes instead of attacking them) doesn’t add meaningful variety. As a result, your tactics at the beginning and end of the game are largely the same. You get new weapons with varying attack speeds and combo patterns, but they don’t feel different enough to justify your ability to switch between two weapon sets – especially when comparing weapons that have been upgraded (which requires some component farming) versus those that haven’t. The different visual effects are cool, but I rarely had a practical reason to stray from the weapon set I had invested in most heavily.

Under the hood, the main source of growth comes from equipping plug-in chips that provide a wide range of bonuses, from increased melee attacks to health regeneration. Capacity for these is limited, so the strategy comes from maximizing benefit and minimizing cost through a clever fusion system. For instance, combining two chips that give you a four-percent boost to weapon attacks is more cost-effective than equipping them individually, freeing up space for additional improvements. I like this in concept, but most plug-ins only provide percentage-based boosts to stats and abilities, so they don’t do much to diversify your arsenal.

Nier: Automata also has problems with repetition, an issue that plagued its predecessor. The story is stretched over three campaigns that send you back to the same areas, and even the exact same story moments and encounters. How and why this happens is one of Nier: Automata’s surprises, so I won’t ruin it, but don’t be fooled when the credits roll. While this unfolding narrative and its hidden endings is an interesting experiment, it spreads the world too thin and doesn’t add enough new information when you revisit familiar situations. By the time I reached the true ending after nearly 40 hours (and most of the side quests), I felt like I only saw about 25 hours worth of game cut up and reconstituted in various ways.

I don't know man think I'll listen to the guy who knows something about design making points about repetition and mechanical loss of meaning.
He's not saying it's a bad game so you don't actually need to white knight stuff alright?
Except I'm fine with the score. I can see the game's flaws and why certain people might not like the game as a whole. I only disagree with the "repetition" critique because that's, again, an intended design choice, not a failed implementation. The repetition aspect of the game isn't even that long.

"Mechanical loss of meaning".
Don't make up words and phrases to look smart. You'll only look dumber in the process. Though it seems that process has already happened since you take game journos seriously without any hint of irony.
Mar 15, 2017 2:33 PM

Sep 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Except I'm fine with the score. I can see the game's flaws and why certain people might not like the game as a whole. I only disagree with the "repetition" critique because that's, again, an intended design choice, not a failed implementation. The repetition aspect of the game isn't even that long.

Don't make up words and phrases to look smart. You'll only look dumber in the process. Though it seems that process has already happened since you take game journos seriously without any hint of irony.

I don't take "journo" seriously but this guy uses proper terminology and talks about pretty basic stuff you don't have a grasp on so eh:/
Mar 15, 2017 2:38 PM

Jan 2013
Saccaed said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

I don't take "journo" seriously but this guy uses proper terminology and talks about pretty basic stuff you don't have a grasp on so eh:/
"Proper terminology". Like what?

And if anything, your use of "mechanical loss of meaning" shows you have no grasp "proper terminology" at all

Stop being stupid.
Mar 15, 2017 2:40 PM

Sep 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Saccaed said:

And if anything, your use of "mechanical loss of meaning" shows you have no clue on what "proper terminology" means at all

Stop being stupid.

Nope I'm pretty sure the game has a progression mechanic since he talks about it:/
Are you butthurt enough yet.

meaningful progression is proper terminology, if you want to talk about something which goes for depth without pointless complexity

not like "visual" or whatever you mentioned in the horror thread since that's words salad for journos and doesn't mean anything at all
FondenteMar 15, 2017 2:51 PM
Mar 15, 2017 2:48 PM

Jan 2013
Saccaed said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

And if anything, your use of "mechanical loss of meaning" shows you have no clue on what "proper terminology" means at all

Stop being stupid.

Nope I'm pretty sure the game has a progression mechanic since he talks about it:/
Are you butthurt enough yet
Stop projecting. Just because you're asshurt doesn't mean I am.

Also LMAO, progression mechanic is not proper terminology. That's just a different and simplified means of referring to the chip and upgrade system.

Lastly, for the past five or so posts, I've been talking about the critique on multiple playthroughs, not the progression system at all. You literally bringing random shit up to move goalposts and change the subject.
Mar 15, 2017 2:55 PM

Sep 2016
it's proper terminology for pretty basic concepts
I quoted the repetition stuff too:/
Mar 15, 2017 3:01 PM

Sep 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

"I'm replaying a game sequence! There's a difference in narrative and gameplay, but the stage and enemy design are the same, this is awful!". This is intended. The entire point. Changing the level and enemy design when replaying a sequence would not make sense, and would contradict all the events going on in the first playthrough. Instead of being stupid, and criticizing the entire technique itself, it's better to criticize the implementation of the technique. Does the change in perspective really feel like a change in perspective? Is the gameplay different? Do we learn anything from the story that we otherwise wouldn't have known from the other character's perspective? If you can answer the three questions with a "yes" then it's a successful implementation. If not, then it's a failed implementation. And from what I've played in Nier Automata, the change in perspective really does feel like a change in perspective.

Just because you had a bad experience with one game that implements the changing perspective technique, does not mean the entire technique and its every use is a flaw. And even then, that "bad experience" is up for debate.

this whole thing on the other hand doesn't mean anything, the guy wasn't generalizing and likely has nothing against the bits of dynamic storytelling in videogames, he just says what the game builds up to feels too thin, there's your subject
Mar 15, 2017 3:09 PM

Jan 2013
Saccaed said:
it's proper terminology for pretty basic concepts
I quoted the repetition stuff too:/
No it isn't. Progression system is a basic phrase for a basic concept. If you think that it is "proper terminology" and indicative of a "professional" then you need to get out more. Progression system also doesn't refer to multiple playthroughs either. It solely refers to upgrade mechanics relating to the RPG genre. Christ, if you're going to defend your much beloved reviewer at least try to understand him.
Mar 15, 2017 3:10 PM

Sep 2016
I'm going to do stuff now;l
Mar 15, 2017 3:11 PM

Jan 2013
Saccaed said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

this whole thing on the other hand doesn't mean anything, the guy wasn't generalizing and likely has nothing against the bits of dynamic storytelling in videogames, he just says what the game builds up to feels too thin, there's your subject
That was directed at Sh4kun, not reviewer-chan
Saccaed said:
Good
Mar 15, 2017 3:22 PM

Mar 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Saccaed said:

That was directed at Sh4kun, not reviewer-chan
Saccaed said:
Good

Good argument guys,
I personally enjoyed the second part more than the first, better side quests and stuff as well.
I'm currently replaying the game from the begining and only starting to feel like it's a bit repetitive. Also playing on normal so it's easier as well tho
Mar 15, 2017 5:19 PM

Jul 2014
Extect said:
SH4kun said:

Alot of people (me included) are expected to pirate the game once the CPY repack is released because of the protest of the Denuvo DRM. Tales of Berseria got Denuvo DRM yet CPY repack released a few days after initial release.

@SH4kun
Mar 15, 2017 6:39 PM

Jan 2013
OppaiSugoi said:
Extect said:

Alot of people (me included) are expected to pirate the game once the CPY repack is released because of the protest of the Denuvo DRM. Tales of Berseria got Denuvo DRM yet CPY repack released a few days after initial release.

@SH4kun
lol "protest"

You don't have to justify it. Just be honest, you want to play it without paying.
Mar 15, 2017 6:48 PM

Mar 2016
OppaiSugoi said:
Extect said:

@SH4kun

You'll be missing out an important part of the game without online connections, but hey, it's gonna be your own fault
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

56 by BitChilly »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
1 hour ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
4 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.