Forums

People playing post ps1 will not understand or value games

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 30, 2016 8:47 AM

Apr 2015
Clebardman said:
sokawaiixd said:
Let's be real here, compare these old games to the new ones, the new ones are better in any aspect, I admit most games have a bad story compared to the early days, but they are more fun to play, at least for me, and a majority of gamers obviously...

Eeeew, fuck no. Trying to establish an absolute rule like that is silly. Tell me how Bioshock or Dead Space 3 are better than System Shock 2, or the last RE games are better than the two first ones.

The first Resident Evil is fucking dated as hell, and your nostalgia blinders must be on full to not see that.
Yes, Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica, and REmake are danm amazing. But there was a total genre shift with 4, 5, and 6 (Unsure about the Revelations side-series, not played those). And while indeed, I prefer the older games a leap and a mile over the newer ones, 4 and 5 are good in ways other then being survival-horror with an intriguing story.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Nov 30, 2016 10:00 AM

Jul 2015
@InsaneLeader13

I specifically had 2 in mind. I could have said the same thing about a bunch of old-school platformers vs Portal tho. I just don't understand how people can legit think coming from x era automatically makes something better.
Nov 30, 2016 12:21 PM

Jan 2013
Clebardman said:
Hmmmpf. I disagree totally with this. Where are the atmospheric point & clicks who relied only on graphisms, music and story to carry the player through the game? Where are those great modern OST I fail to remember a single track from? (the last Diablo... I swear 5 mins after closing the fucking game I couldn't remember a note lol)
You raise some good points, however I do not believe these were the main selling points of the average game at the time. But, just like RPG and FPS players usually stick to their own genre, I didn't adventure too much.

Also to be fair, most modern OSTs aren't aiming for "memorable" but are instead aiming for "augmentative". Pick a random game made this year and it will usually have music choreographed to key points in the game.
Nov 30, 2016 12:25 PM

Oct 2015
My first game console was a Nintendo 64, and I sort of agree.

At least in the sense that people don't appreciate the strengths of game design. Most people nowadays just want either a piss easy instant gratification 6-hour campaign they'll play through once and then never think about again, or just a multiplayer sandbox timesink.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that but I get annoyed when people say that 2D/retro game design is "dumb" or "primitive".
Nov 30, 2016 12:26 PM

Oct 2015
Lord_Sithis said:
The value of games eh? That's pretty interesting. Gamers nowadays just play games, don't really enjoy them, and that's it, a short burst of fun. No surprise that the gaming industry is suffering today. Games aren't a challenge anymore, they require little to no skill and can be completed easily. That's pretty sad.

And that's why I love bullet hell shmups! The reaction of most people when they see one for the first time is: "That's impossible! How are you supposed to do that?!" Those games require skills. Not the ones that you upgrade when you level up, the ones you as a person have, like reflexes, memorization, perception, filtering information, dealing with nervousness. Not surprised people drop Touhou complaining about it being hard. That's the point! If you want to clear it, you have to give your best! Bullet hell shmups aren't casual mainstream stuff. You want your victory? You have to earn it. What is the result? One of the most satisfying, exciting and rewarding video game genres out there. I personally think it's THE most satisfying, exciting and rewarding genre, but meh... opinions

I love shmups too but it took me a while to really get into them.

The genre didn't really "click" to me until 2014.
Nov 30, 2016 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
Lobinde said:
Lord_Sithis said:
The value of games eh? That's pretty interesting. Gamers nowadays just play games, don't really enjoy them, and that's it, a short burst of fun. No surprise that the gaming industry is suffering today. Games aren't a challenge anymore, they require little to no skill and can be completed easily. That's pretty sad.

And that's why I love bullet hell shmups! The reaction of most people when they see one for the first time is: "That's impossible! How are you supposed to do that?!" Those games require skills. Not the ones that you upgrade when you level up, the ones you as a person have, like reflexes, memorization, perception, filtering information, dealing with nervousness. Not surprised people drop Touhou complaining about it being hard. That's the point! If you want to clear it, you have to give your best! Bullet hell shmups aren't casual mainstream stuff. You want your victory? You have to earn it. What is the result? One of the most satisfying, exciting and rewarding video game genres out there. I personally think it's THE most satisfying, exciting and rewarding genre, but meh... opinions

I love shmups too but it took me a while to really get into them.

The genre didn't really "click" to me until 2014.
It clicked to me like two days after I started playing them. The reason was that I watched a video of EoSD Extra. Really easy Extra, but back then I was a scrub, and watching that was epic. I said "I want to do this!".
Nov 30, 2016 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
I wasn't born in the 80s or anything like that. But I surely prefer beautiful soundtracks, challenging gameplay, and deep scoring than pre-release DLC, $60 shit games, and zero challenge whatsoever. Oh, and what happened to scoring? It disappeared!
Yes, there were some truly bad old games. But the good to bad ratio back then was much higher than today. Of course, today we have an entire section of the gaming industry dedicated to making bad games, called Early Access (some are pretty good don't get me wrong, but some don't even leave Early Access). And triple-A companies are getting stupid by the day. Best of all? The gamer doesn't care.

Darek said:
Stoudbaker said:
value has no set.Its like how people put ff7 on a pedalstole* and others don't.Value is different person 2 person.In this reference to value is ideally meant by your own opinions on what you "enjoy" i suppose enjoy would be a good word to use in a sense

So ehhh... I am still not sure... what you mean is that people who haven't played those games won't be able to enjoy the games as much as the ones who did? I am confused.
You are trying to make sense of a MAL thread. Good luck.
Nov 30, 2016 1:54 PM

Aug 2011
PrimeX said:
I used to own a famicom. Get on my level.

I still own a Famicon, get on my level :P

I still play old games and I still get people to go and play them, it's not very hard to learn about how games have changed over the years or to appreciate it, it's just hard to get little shits to give a F*** :D
^_^
Nov 30, 2016 4:50 PM

Jul 2015
@Lord_Sithis A lot of pre-bullet hell shooters were absolutely fierce too ^^.

^This game. So kawaii. So savage. One of the last hidden gems of the SNES.

on the same console, Area 88 (an anime adaptation) is absolutely excellent and brutal in the hidden difficulty setting, but oh boy the lag at 60fps. I really need to emulate that one without the lag :x
DeathkoNov 30, 2016 4:53 PM
Nov 30, 2016 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
@Clebardman Agreed. Psikyo games' second loops are very hard too though CAVE games are WAY harder
Dec 1, 2016 12:30 AM
Nov 2012
InsaneLeader13 said:
Stoudbaker said:
People playing post ps1(graphic update in times so2speak) will not understand or appreciate the value of games as much as gamers pre ps1.You can play retro all you want but you will not understand the value of sidescrolling&topdown play to VR.Many of people would nvr thought vr would even exist(Still new and not movie vr but you get the point)gamers are accepted today more than ever..Do you agree or disagree?

Odd. This is a post that would normally be reserved for an older person, but the grammatical and stylistic delivery reeks of a young teenager who cares not for grammar. I wonder if this is supposed to be a troll post.
I'll take the bait anyway.

It seems awfully narrow-minded to use just 'PS1' as your defining point, especially considering that the majority of gamers see the PS1 era as a massive turning point.
Don't forget, alot of older games were very lackluster, if not borderline crap. There was a video game crash in 1983 for a reason, you know. And the only reason that market rebooted in the west, and sustained itself from 1985 until 1995 was because it was built on the paychecks of parents who didn't know what they were buying their kids, but they had the advantage of a (mostly) solid economy and solid paychecks, so they could afford to splurge on their children. And while yes, children shouldn't be treated to crap, they often didn't know what was or wasn't crap until it was too late.

Once the PS1 era kicked off, and SONY successfully marketed the console to teenagers and adults, well, things changed.

But playing alot of crappy older games, or even somewhat good games that have dated considerably, isn't going to enhance someone's experience with gaming. At the same time, playing alot of crappy modern games with shiny graphics isn't going to enhance your video game experience either, unless you aren't a gamer at heart, and are merely interested in things that look fancy regardless of the medium.

Controversial opinion also, but I think the VR thing is a fad. But not a fad that will die away. It seems to be joining the line of the 'fad' that was the Dreamcast's push for online gaming. All the pieces are there to make it happen, but it is still under-powered and expensive. Wait another three years, and then the market will be ready to showcase VR in full. Sony is doing the SEGA thing and pushing something a little bit too early, and other companies will snatch it up, perfect it, and leave Sony in the dust.
i can see you planned the reply out.You have valid points - the bait crap,im on ps4 browser so typos happen and a pain to type
Dec 1, 2016 1:07 AM

Nov 2012
I think people in general who limit their exposure from different genres and time periods are not going to be able to fully appreciate games, irrespective of age. I see so many people just limit themselves to only shooters, or only RPGs, etc. Or they only limit themselves to one console, or one particular time period, and so on and so forth. Expand your horizons. I've learned over the years that some of my favorite stuff I discovered from trying something that I was almost sure I wasn't going to like. Most people aren't as savvy about their own taste as they think they are, and the only way to fully discover what you really like is to actually sit down and give stuff a try once in a while that you would have otherwise never considered.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Dec 1, 2016 1:55 AM

Oct 2012
Syrup- said:
Stoudbaker said:
People playing post ps1(graphic update in times so2speak) will not understand or appreciate the value of games as much as gamers pre ps1.You can play retro all you want but you will not understand the value of sidescrolling&topdown play to VR.Many of people would nvr thought vr would even exist(Still new and not movie vr but you get the point)gamers are accepted today more than ever..Do you agree or disagree?
I see you reposted this as a topic after you didn't successfully bait it the first time. (https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1571385&show=0#msg48729713)

Maybe when you're done desperately trying to prove that you're special, you can come enjoy the games of today with everyone else.

I was born in the wrong generation. Current games suck, Pong is where its at.
Dec 1, 2016 1:57 AM
Mar 2011
il say tt more like this if you have not play were a franchise be gan you cannot appreiarte were its gooing

just like in life
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Dec 1, 2016 2:32 AM
Nov 2012
Lobinde said:
My first game console was a Nintendo 64, and I sort of agree.

Al play through once and then never think about again,
".
why i haven't bothered playing and buying single player only. multiplayer sandbox time sink is atleast decent with friends tbh. i rather just play multiplayer,maybe im burned out waste time on single player and nvr play after story.Gta5 didnt release online til a month later which is a smart move really because i throughly played but i haven't touched single player again.
Dec 1, 2016 2:39 AM
Nov 2012
FontSize72LOL said:

I was born in the wrong generation. Current games suck, Pong is where its at.
UwU some1 say pong?

StoudbakerDec 1, 2016 2:42 AM
Dec 1, 2016 3:54 AM

Jan 2013
DateYutaka said:
il say tt more like this if you have not play were a franchise be gan you cannot appreiarte were its gooing

just like in life
This is erroneous. Stories that are told out of order prove this wrong instantly, and they can be found in mediums around the world. You can jump in at any point you like. If you want to play the "just like life" card, I will pull it on you, you jumped in around the end of the 20th century- can you truly appreciate where life is going?
Dec 1, 2016 4:05 AM

May 2010
Syrup- said:
DateYutaka said:

just like in life
This is erroneous. Stories that are told out of order prove this wrong instantly, and they can be found in mediums around the world. You can jump in at any point you like. If you want to play the "just like life" card, I will pull it on you, you jumped in around the end of the 20th century- can you truly appreciate where life is going?
The 18th century is underrated. The only horsepower I need are the horses pulling my buggy.
Dec 1, 2016 4:17 AM

Jan 2013
Thrashinuva said:
Syrup- said:
The 18th century is underrated. The only horsepower I need are the horses pulling my buggy.
Kid, do you even remember before we had fire? I couldn't read the shitposts on the walls before bed and it sucked. You younguns have it too good, being able to browse on your "smart" phones from the comfort of your bed. You'd never be able to appreciate it if I didn't tell you how hard it was for me before fire existed.
Dec 1, 2016 5:49 AM
Mar 2011
Syrup- said:
DateYutaka said:

just like in life

those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Dec 1, 2016 5:51 AM
Mar 2011
Syrup- said:
Thrashinuva said:
Kid, do you even remember before we had fire? I couldn't read the shitposts on the walls before bed and it sucked. You younguns have it too good, being able to browse on your "smart" phones from the comfort of your bed. You'd never be able to appreciate it if I didn't tell you how hard it was for me before fire existed.

i still read book in bed

Dec 1, 2016 6:01 AM

Jan 2013
DateYutaka said:
Repeat what? There's nothing to repeat when we're talking about appreciating/valuing games. The only way you could make this applicable is if they were trying to sell us the same shitty game over and over again, but clearly that happens even if you do know history.
Dec 1, 2016 6:28 AM
Mar 2011
Syrup- said:
DateYutaka said:
Repeat what? There's nothing to repeat when we're talking about appreciating/valuing games. The only way you could make this applicable is if they were trying to sell us the same shitty game over and over again, but clearly that happens even if you do know history.

im bienf there are so mnay good game that have been forgotten we need ot stopp this happening again was my basic point

Mar 8, 2021 1:50 PM
Dec 2017
I've spent much of my time gaming with modern games only now after leaving college i've started getting into more retro games so i know the value of games even before i started being a retro gamer.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

10 by Astachanna »»
16 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
20 minutes ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

55 by BitChilly »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.