Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
You watch Yuri on ice and you are...
A fujoshi/fudanshi and enjoy it
29.1%
Someone who is neutral about same-sex romance in anime and enjoy YOI
34.2%
Kinda homophobic before but still like YOI at this point (and admit there is a relationship going on)
2.2%
In denial that there's any romance between the two MCs, it's just a sports anime
5.5%
Like it before but come to hate it because of the gayness
3.6%
A person part of the LGBT community and is happy about the representation.
25.5%
275 votes
Nov 18, 2016 9:52 PM
May 2013
I know I must have left out a lot of options if you are none of the above just don't vote and comment it down there.
I'm just super curious so please voice your opinion!
I of course am personally in love with YOI myself, and has been a fujoshi quite a while. typical, huh.
MialeNov 20, 2016 6:08 PM
Nov 18, 2016 9:58 PM

Aug 2016
My inner fujoshi soul loves how gay YOI is
Nov 19, 2016 3:18 AM

Oct 2015
- A gay person who loves ice skating and the representation
Nov 19, 2016 3:20 AM
Apr 2015
Tsukkimaru said:
- A gay person who loves ice skating and the representation
^^

Add the option: "A person part of the LGBT community who loves ice skating and is happy about non-fetishized queer representation."
Nov 19, 2016 10:26 AM
Feb 2008
"Someone who is neutral about same-sex romance in anime and enjoy YOI"

Don't like all the talk about whether it's gay or not, I just want people to appreciate it for the beautiful figure skating
Nov 19, 2016 10:33 AM

Jul 2015
a heterosexual male who doesnt care what sex other people are interested in and isnt particulary interested in yaoi but still enjoys the anime.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Nov 20, 2016 10:59 AM

Feb 2016
A person part of the LGBT community and is happy about non-fetishized queer representation."

:^ that statement is really stretching it tho, it has been fetishized since episode 1 and a lot of my gay friends say it thats not the representation they want.

I'm neutral on same-sex relationships, I just wanna see how the plot plays out
Nov 20, 2016 11:08 AM

Nov 2013
A person who hates it but still watches it because of no drop policy. Where is my poll choice?
You all need to watch Nami.

Nov 20, 2016 11:26 AM
Sep 2015
Im Hetro but I purely watch it for the fan service and straight-forward queer moments
Nov 20, 2016 11:40 AM

Sep 2016
I'm a LGBT person who really hopes they won't drop the ball on this one. At first I wasn't even here for the gay, I just like ice skating :p

Lyrel said:

:^ that statement is really stretching it tho, it has been fetishized since episode 1 and a lot of my gay friends say it thats not the representation they want.

Now that's a surprise. All the gay people I heard talking about Yuri on Ice were ecstatic about it. Of course your friends are entitled to their opinions, I'm just surprised because it never came off as "fetishy" to me.
KamidoxNov 20, 2016 11:51 AM
Nov 20, 2016 12:08 PM

Jun 2014
I began watching it because of the impressive animation in the PV, also it looked interesting and I like cute ships (I hope I'm not a creepy fujoshi though)
Nov 20, 2016 12:24 PM

Mar 2010
I'm a hetero female who usually feels "meh" on shounen ai/yaoi, but Yuri on Ice is fucking killing me. Seriously, I don't remember liking a ship this much for years.

Now that I think of it, perhaps I usually don't like same-sex romance in anime because of how it's handled. It usually feels pretty distasteful and that element is simply missing in YoI. So, yeah.
Nov 20, 2016 12:36 PM
Nov 2016
"the Person who does not want to be pigeonholed"

I do love BL, but I also like any other kind of connection as long as it's healthy and makes the characters happy.
Nov 20, 2016 12:50 PM
May 2016
I'm just watching it because apparently it's good.
Nov 20, 2016 1:45 PM

Feb 2009
I'm straight and don't care about characters sexuality as long as it's portrayed adequately/good. I do think those voting categories are kinda weird/off. A good romance/relationship story is good on it's own merit, it shouldn't be swayed by our own sexual preferences.
Nov 20, 2016 3:33 PM

Apr 2009
non-fetishized

lmao the show is good, but are you kidding me.

Nov 20, 2016 4:04 PM

Oct 2011
I don't really think I apply to any of them ahh, I picked the last option, since it applies to me the most I guess.

I'm not a fujoshi, since I love to see well-developed and healthy relationships of any kind. Yet I'm very happy to see a same-sex couple for once. Honestly, it is true that the relationship is sexualized, but in most cases, it's literally the only thing series featuring lgbt characters have to offer, however, in YOI we also get a very nice character development. Let's not den there's fanservice tho (which isn't the same as fetishizing obviously), I mean, Victor's voice actor promoted the series saying stuff like: 'it won't lose to bishoujo series in level of sexiness' or smthng like that. There's nothing wrong with fanservice, though, if it isn't degenerating towards the characters. Imo, that's not the case for YOI.
Nov 20, 2016 6:06 PM
May 2013
abystoma2 said:
A person who hates it but still watches it because of no drop policy. Where is my poll choice?

Sorry I couldn't even think of that option X')) you hate it but still watch it? I've never heard of but I guess there are anime watchers like you... may I ask the reason you hate it though? Did you hate it from the start?
Nov 20, 2016 6:46 PM

Feb 2016
I really like the premise the anime is set on along with a whole bunch of other features. I just dislike some of the unnecessary bs that is added in some scenes which end up ruining whatever mood they happen to build up. I also feel like the relationship is a little "stretched" at times... :P. I'm trying to enjoy it, so I'm going to keep watching it regardless and see how the relationship plays out.
Nov 21, 2016 7:44 AM

Nov 2013
Miale said:
you hate it but still watch it? I've never heard of but I guess there are anime watchers like you... may I ask the reason you hate it though? Did you hate it from the start?

Honestly, I mainly dislike the constand fujoshi fanservice even though lot of people claim it's not about that and it's prefectly watchable for all sexes and orientations. I would have slightly less problem with that if it would at least have the (well deserved, I think) shounen-ai genre tag.

Also, this would get much, much lesser score if it would be exactly the same thing, but with reversed genres. I've noticed that fangirls tend to heavily overrated everything with bishounens, even more when bishounen x bishounen shipping is included.

Nov 22, 2016 6:44 AM
May 2013
abystoma2 said:

Also, this would get much, much lesser score if it would be exactly the same thing, but with reversed genres. I've noticed that fangirls tend to heavily overrated everything with bishounens, even more when bishounen x bishounen shipping is included.

well gotta agree with you on that. we girls are totally biased. It's a shame to admit this but I think I wouldn't even give YOI a chance if the two MCs were girls.
Nov 22, 2016 7:50 AM

Nov 2013
Miale said:

we girls are totally biased. It's a shame to admit this but I think I wouldn't even give YOI a chance if the two MCs were girls.

Well, if you at least admit it, that's bonus points for you.

Nov 22, 2016 7:56 AM

May 2016
The fanservice is getting kind of annoying and so is everyone calling it the best anime of the year. I don't mind fanservice or anything, but with yaoi every fujoshi gets so excited. I also really can't see a plot, and the show is very repetitive. Ice skating practice, yaoi fanservice, ice skating and then more yaoi fanservice. At this point, I'm just watching because the art and music is pretty.
Nov 22, 2016 8:08 AM

Jun 2014
Miale said:
we girls are totally biased. It's a shame to admit this but I think I wouldn't even give YOI a chance if the two MCs were girls.

Speak for yourself, I'd totally watch lesbians on ice if the quality of the anime was the same
Nov 22, 2016 9:44 AM

Nov 2010
I don't go around calling myself fujoshi, but I guess that is closest from those options. I do enjoy it when show or whatever has good same sex relationship(s).

YOI has tons of fanservice which is mostly funny for me on how ridiculous it is, same as free!. I'd separate that from romantic and relationship building parts of the show.
Nov 22, 2016 10:23 AM
Mar 2016
I'm heterosexual male and I love the series.
Nov 22, 2016 10:44 AM

Nov 2016
Someone who is neutral about same-sex romance in anime and enjoy YOI.

I started watching because I like figure skating. It happened to be romance in it. It happened to be same gender love. I'm not bothered by it at all since they interactions are great.
Nov 22, 2016 12:20 PM
May 2016
what kind of options are these ?
anyways i'm not homosexual nor do i care if the show is
what i like about it is how mature it is and how well writing it is and how it deals with real life problems even though i have 0 interest in ice skating this show is just beautiful

not to mention i just fangasm at that gorgeous animation
Nov 22, 2016 12:42 PM

Nov 2016
I just love this show, because it just proves that you don't necessarily need a good plot to make a great show.

The story here is only about some guy who has zero confidence and aims to be the best : fairly straightforward.
But you have catchy songs (OP, ED and OST), nice animation, pretty character design (not just some blobs is what I mean), and above all, you have a large set of different characters which are being nicely developed.
You can have great romance, but in my opinion, if the characters don't feel real enough nor a little different from the others, it's not worth your time.

I really enjoy the fact that there is a patchwork of interesting characters and that most of them are growing and their emotions are interacting : jealousy between skaters about love and success, being able to gain confidence in crucial moments during the competition, etc.
It creates a story that feels real to the viewers, who can imagine themselves struggling with some of these emotions..

That was a bit long, but in short : there is more to a great show than a simple BL relationship, as opposed to what some people might think..
Nov 22, 2016 1:53 PM

Nov 2016
I'm LGBT and I've been watching Yuri on Ice and i'm sorry but Yuri has annoyed the hell out of me so far. I'm close to dropping it.
Nov 22, 2016 2:11 PM

Jan 2011
I still consider the word "fujoshi" to be an insult, but I guess I have to roll with it.

I love Yuri and Victor, and they're currently punching all my other OTPs in the face. I don't think I've ever shipped something this much. I hope the show doesn't drop the ball, 'cause me AND my boyfriend really do consider it to be the best anime of the year <3

It's funny because I don't even like sports anime. Or Yaoi anime. But this one is PERFECT.
-content has been filtered for the use of inappropriate words or phrases-
Nov 22, 2016 4:53 PM

Sep 2014
I honestly can't remember ever cherishing a potential anime romance this much. I mean, it helps that I'm bisexual and rooting for representation, but I genuinely do believe that YoI has the best-written anime romance in a long time, straight or otherwise. They managed to capture the feeling of being in love with someone who seems unattainable but so close, which I relate to as a bisexual person who has had crushes on straight people who share my gender. Granted, none of those people were world-class athletes who constantly flirted with me, but I still cannot brush away that connection I feel to Yuuri.

However, I do feel somewhat less connected now that Yuuri is confident and almost on Victor's level, (as emphasized by episode 7), but it's still great to root for Yuuri regardless. Every step of Yuuri's development just feels so damn satisfying compared to most typical sports anime protagonists. Most yaoibait sports shows would probably just have Yuuri copy Victor's coaching to a T and call it a day. However, since YoI seems to be taking the actual romance route, Victor's "coaching" is mostly just showing Yuuri that in order to love someone else, Yuuri has to love himself first. That's an important message for a show that could very well be interpreted as a story about Yuuri coming to terms with his sexuality...on ice.
RariettyNov 22, 2016 5:24 PM
Nov 22, 2016 5:16 PM

May 2010
YOI so far doesn't have that great of a story, but I love the characters, even the non-dancers. I especially love Yuuri's character development. The music and skating is absolutely beautiful.
And to have yaoi undertones in something this beautiful is almost too good to be true. Those stupid shounen ai I watched in the past can't even compare. I'm so glad to be a filthy fujoshi yahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~
Nov 22, 2016 6:20 PM
May 2013
kana- said:
The fanservice is getting kind of annoying and so is everyone calling it the best anime of the year. I don't mind fanservice or anything, but with yaoi every fujoshi gets so excited. I also really can't see a plot, and the show is very repetitive. Ice skating practice, yaoi fanservice, ice skating and then more yaoi fanservice. At this point, I'm just watching because the art and music is pretty.

I will I admit that I'm biased when it comes to bishounen but I'll never compromise with saying this show is just yaoi service and no plot. This show has moved my heart greatly and with reasons. There's no way it's as popular as it is now if it's the same as any yaoi out there.
And if you care enough take a look at my watchlist, there'd no yaoi
Nov 22, 2016 7:37 PM
May 2013
M0HAMEDGAMERX1 said:
what i like about it is how mature it is and how well writing it is and how it deals with real life problems even though i have 0 interest in ice skating this show is just beautiful

So you just fall into the "neutral" category then...? There are many others like you, who like YOI for the same reasons as yours
Nov 22, 2016 9:42 PM

Jan 2010
I'm a fujoushi, who watched the anime because a friends recommended it (before it aired). I like sports anime (not just because of the ships), I actually just like watching people try hard for a common goal. So, although I did ship Viktor and Yuuri, it was my wanting yuuri to grow as a person that kept me going.

I really did not like Yuuri at first, he felt too weak-willed, but as he grows stronger and more confident, I can't help but feel proud.
The art is stunning, the music--I love it. The characters, I love how most of the characters have some sort of dimension to their personality. Also, Viktor is not perfect like he seemed. He is growing too through his relationship with Yuuri (and I mean whatever relationship they have at this point whether romantic, or something else).
Not the greatest of riches, the warmth of my family, the tender embrace of a lover, or the offer of continuous success could ever triumph over all the yaoi I could ever enjoy.
Nov 23, 2016 12:44 AM
May 2016
Miale said:
M0HAMEDGAMERX1 said:

So you just fall into the "neutral" category then...? There are many others like you, who like YOI for the same reasons as yours

yeah i dont like yaoi tho i just watch the show cause i enjoy it
Nov 23, 2016 2:27 AM
Jan 2015
I'm about to start watching this series. So help me out guys....sub or dub?
Nov 23, 2016 5:11 AM

Jun 2014
deliacapi13 said:
I'm about to start watching this series. So help me out guys....sub or dub?

If you don't mind Victor sounding like Gru from Despicable Me then the dub may be quite hilarious, at least I presume on the basis of this video:
http://goombella123.tumblr.com/post/153494338489/16-reasons-why-the-yoi-dub-is-just-as-good-as-the
They translated some jokes better than they appeared in subs

For me the sub is better, but I always watch subs so
Nov 24, 2016 4:37 PM
Apr 2016
Im a straight male who likes watching figure skating. The gay fanservice is a little annoying, it's much more blatant than Free. The characters are a bit shallow and these kids just pull out quads out of their asses.
Dec 4, 2016 2:55 PM
Dec 2016
Straight Male here

The main character of the show – Yuri – is one of the most likable characters I’ve seen, and the writing for the show is impressive. Victor is a pretty decent guy too; although, I find myself thinking, “Oh come on, Dude. How does a person make lip balm sensual?? I know, put it on with a super slow hand and 'come hither eyes'" or a thumb in this case. Who does that?

Back to the point, I concentrate on the storyline more than the homoeroticism, but I think the show would be better appreciated by a larger audience if the director had toned it down a bit; we don’t have to have ‘this is a gay relationship’ pounded into our heads so often. I’m impressed with the artwork. I can’t imagine how many hours went into researching figure skating movements and then translating that into animation. I’m sure the artists were eating No-Doze like candy and then washing it down with vats of black coffee into the wee hours of the morning to make their deadline for broadcast.

I’m going to continue watching the show and see if Yuri finds his center and I'm actually interested in Юури's backstory, why he became such a rectum, and if he'll develop into a nicer person once and if he can exorcise his demons.
Dec 4, 2016 3:42 PM
Apr 2015
Dropped. Become to gay every episode. I still try to understand why this anime is popular but still no avail . I Believe humanity is doomed...
Dec 4, 2016 3:51 PM

Aug 2016
Someone who likes yaoi/yuri (though not a major fan) and enjoys Yuri!!! On Ice.

I'd say it belongs in between the first and the second options. Or I guess it counts as the second one?
Dec 5, 2016 7:12 AM

Jun 2015
A gay male who absolutely loves the representation (and ice skating)! I also love sports anime. The big hitting point for the show for me was how realistic and relatable the MC is and also the relationship between Yuri and Viktor. It's all just handled so well, and I'm extremely happy about that.
FranklyNerdyDec 5, 2016 7:18 AM
Dec 19, 2016 9:29 PM
Dec 2016
I think the reason this anime is so popular(besides the fanservice) is how relatable the main character is. We are literally watching Yuri grow with his skating and his relationship with Victor. I am also curious on how far the animators are willing to go. Is this going to be like Free or will they push to envelope to the limit?
Dec 19, 2016 11:52 PM

Mar 2014
I am both a fujoshi and a filthy bi

I love it (obviously)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 20, 2016 12:02 AM

Mar 2015
gay fudanshi who is also happy about the lgbt representation ;-)
Dec 20, 2016 12:57 AM
Mar 2015
I'm gay male, but dont think the show represents Lgbt very well. Too much focus on the main characters which imho are boring. The support cast is much more interesting.

More topics from this board

» A petition was made to save the movie

Old_School_Akira - Apr 23

12 by kihel »»
Apr 25, 12:10 AM

» Movie got cancelled ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 18

55 by BishopBriggs »»
Apr 24, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

474 by yourlocalworm »»
Apr 19, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

205 by ZolaZodiac »»
Mar 20, 5:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2016

235 by Musical_grl »»
Mar 16, 3:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.