Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 10, 2016 3:04 AM
Jun 2013
What is your Opinion of star Ocean games ?

I am playing First Departure and have played 10 hrs of it . But I feel , this game sucks . Nothing interesting in the game . When they go to space , I was like Yae ! But few minutes later they return to same planet back in time >>__<<

Should I play Second Evolution ?
Are they connected ?
Nov 10, 2016 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
well you can jump into Second Evolution.
about the connection between the two, it's probably just between Claude and Ronnix.

in Second Evolution you can choose between the two main character Claude or Rena. I'm willing to replay Second Evolution anytime compared to the First Departure.

this review (by IGN) may help you decide
Nov 10, 2016 5:37 AM

Jan 2013
Just play the second one, the third one drags like crazy and the fourth one has an awful story. Can't say much about the 5th one though, I haven't played it yet. The gameplay is solid in all the games so if you don't mind the writing/voice acting then you can still enjoy them.
Nov 10, 2016 5:43 AM

Jul 2009
If you didn't enjoy 1-3 which are considered the best, there's little hope you'll like 4 and the abomination that is 5.

Also the games are not directly connected, but there are passing references.
Nov 10, 2016 10:25 PM

Nov 2016
I haven't played a Star Ocean game yet. Are they all connected? Like.. do I need to play them in order to understand the story?

Also, is STAR OCEAN: INTEGRITY AND FAITHLESSNESS a good place to start?
Nov 11, 2016 1:08 AM

Jan 2013
they're very mediocre. I don't know exactly what it is they're missing but I expected a lot more from the ones I have played:
Star Ocean SNES
Star Ocean 3 (PS2)
Star Ocean 4 (PS3)

The battle systems are heavily unpolished in terms of balance and create difficulty where there really shouldn't be. These things aren't damning, they just make the series come off very lackluster. It's kind of a shame because the series introduces a lot of unique mechanics to JRPG that you don't see in other games.

A better series might be Tales, with a similar battle system.
Syrup-Nov 11, 2016 1:13 AM
Nov 11, 2016 7:54 AM
May 2009
Going to try the PS4 Star Ocean sometime after I finish Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Nov 11, 2016 7:55 AM

May 2010
Star Ocean 3 is one of the greatest RPG's on the PS2.
Nov 11, 2016 9:58 AM

Nov 2008
Loved the first two ones, didn't play the third and the fourth wasn't that good + haven't tried the fifth one yet but I read it's not that good.
Nov 11, 2016 2:29 PM

Nov 2013
Good series that needs more love, especially the PSP remakes of the first two titles. First Depature in particular is one of the best handheld JRPGs I've ever played. Great cast, well-paced story, solid gameplay. Pick that one up if nothing else.

Till the End of Time...eh, its systems make it extremely difficult to enjoy, really. At least for me.

The Last Hope...you either like it or hate it. Personally I loved the fast-paced, intense combat - far more involving than the Tales series, which at times feels a little clunky, especially with recent instalments - and beautifully detailed world, and I could live with Edge Maverick's excessive drama. But the cast is VERY hit-or-miss.

Integrity and Faithlessness...never really goes anywhere. It starts off well, but the plot ultimately fizzles out, and the combat is a HUGE step backwards from the previous game. I wouldn't recommend starting with it.

The games ARE loosely connected chronologically (I believe the time order is 4 -> 1 -> 2 -> 5 ->3, with only 1 and 2 being directly connected, with references to 1 in 4) but you don't really need to play them in any order.

More topics from this board

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

64 by kittygirlmel »»
2 hours ago

» Do you play Akinator?

bronycon42 - Nov 29, 2023

15 by Damuzen »»
3 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

31 by Damuzen »»
3 hours ago

» Do you still use ur disc drive to play games ?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 4

21 by Mayahuel »»
5 hours ago

» Good anime games and game animes?

Timeline_man - Jun 7

3 by YolandaQuebec »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.