Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 15, 2016 4:48 AM
Apr 2015
I want to know if there is yuri in this anime?

I plan to watch it from the first season but i am hesitating because it seems to have heavy yuri.

To be honest i can't watch anime with yuri especially heavy ones but i liked a song in this anime when i accidentally played it in YT that's why i got interested with the anime and i don't have problems with music genre in anime.
Oct 15, 2016 5:50 AM

Aug 2013
This show doesn't have any straightfoward yuri like something you get from Sakura trick, but it surely does have some yuri undertones in it
Oct 15, 2016 6:42 AM

Jun 2015
Has heavy yuri undertones, but whether it is just yuribait or not itself is debatable.
Oct 15, 2016 8:11 AM

Jan 2013
Pure yuri bait, nothing interesting
Oct 15, 2016 8:18 AM

Apr 2015
It's not hard yuri, they tease and it's it but the scenes are in a serious tone
Oct 15, 2016 11:02 AM

May 2009
Hahahahaa, ADOLESCENCE.
Oct 15, 2016 11:04 AM
Dec 2008
Surprisingly people still think it's yuri and I dont blame them. Kyoani can be extremely baity at times. It's roller coaster ride for sure.
Oct 15, 2016 10:46 PM

May 2013
I seriously need this show to be like 10 times more gay. I wanted them to kiss in the first season, but now it seems hopeless because she's way into the teacher. ;_;
Oct 15, 2016 10:48 PM
Apr 2015
Okay, thanks for the insight guys. I might try this and see for myself.
Oct 15, 2016 10:52 PM

Jun 2015
All I can say is, if it doesn't have Yuri, much destruction and chaos will ensue. Hopefully internally, but there are no guarantees. I already broke enough hypothetical monitors thanks to the intense baiting in the first season #savethemonitorslettherebeyuri
Oct 16, 2016 1:26 AM
Jul 2018
pejahmein said:
To be honest i can't watch anime with yuri ....
At which point do meaningful relationships between women turn into something you can no longer watch, or tolerate?

Can you give some examples of depictions of homosexuality you find unbearable?
Oct 23, 2016 7:59 AM

Jul 2008
More like it has a soft yuri touch to it, I don't mind any yuri relationships being official in the series though :D
Oct 25, 2016 10:26 PM
Aug 2016
there's no yuri at all. Just yuri bait for some part, but it's more a representation of the admiration of Kumiko for reina, and for reina, it's the representation of her feeling that she finnaly find someone like her. For each other, their relationship are deeper and more important that a simple crush or romantic relationships. It's a life and unique friendships.
Oct 25, 2016 11:44 PM

Nov 2007
pejahmein said:
I want to know.

I saw two very intimate girls, highschoolers for sure, in a food-court inside a mall today, approaching from a distance, walking with their arms locked and poking each other on the cheeks with their other hands, while joking and laughing. For some strange reason they somehow reminded me of two fictional characters. As I was waiting for my friends to join me and calmly sat on a table near the counter, I could hear them very clearly as they stood on the rather long queue formed in the busiest hour of the day to place their orders. They were teasing each other about this boy they like in their class. At that very moment, I thought "Oh! Kumiko and Reina IRL".

That's basically Hibike! Euphonium's relationship. They are closer than any romantic relationship can ever be. There is no physical attraction but the bond they share can top any romance, any day, everyday.

What you really need to know here should be something different. Different people have different ways to perceive different situations. So, my advise would be that you give the anime a try. It is one of the most well-written stories in years. The anime we see nowadays are rather pitiful. Very few anime out there today have very well constructed stories like Hibike! Euphonium. If you pay attention to the details that are put in the writing of the script, the screenplay and direction, you would know why they easily stand out from the rest. It's not all about animation and art. The things that truly give life to a story are how the characters can be identified, how the characters interact, how they develop and how the story progresses and comes back to the origin that it wanted to convey in the beginning by the end of it, or at least come pretty close to it. The only few I can think of from hoards of anime in the last few years that had very well written stories alongside Hibike! Euphonium are Bakuman, Chihayafuru, Gin no Saji, Gintama°, Haikyuu!!, Nagi no Asukara, Shouwa Rakugo, Shirobako and Uchuu Kyoudai (written in alphabetical order). There could be one or two that I missed but that's pretty much all I could think of when it comes to well-written stories. If I were to pick only few from the above titles, Hibike! Euphonium would come within my top three picks.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 26, 2016 11:56 AM

Feb 2014
I'm glad there is neither Yuri nor shoujo ai in this.
Oct 26, 2016 6:22 PM

Jul 2016
No, this show has no yuri not will it ever have yuri unless it changes the relationships from the original work.
Oct 27, 2016 4:33 PM

Sep 2016
shanimebib said:
pejahmein said:
I want to know.

That's basically Hibike! Euphonium's relationship. They are closer than any romantic relationship can ever be. There is no physical attraction but the bond they share can top any romance, any day, everyday.

No physical attraction... XD hmm... really? You sure?
Oct 28, 2016 3:34 AM
Aug 2016
ORUGAdesu said:

No physical attraction... XD hmm... really? You sure?

Nothing which show sexual contact are show in this anime. But friendship lead also to want some contact with the other person, physically or spiritually speaking. All the yuri stuff is only a speculation thing, and KyoAni plays with that (and too much and for free in this second season for me), but says this show contain yuri scene is a false.
Oct 28, 2016 3:49 AM

Jan 2011
blowing into holes maybe.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Oct 28, 2016 6:25 AM

Sep 2013
There are yuri undertones. and some scenes can be so gaaaay. But you know, this is kyoani, and all they do is tease and tease lol
Oct 28, 2016 9:08 AM

Nov 2007
Erika___ said:
But you know, this is kyoani, and all they do is tease and tease lol

I have a feeling the days of teasing only will come to an end with this as it contains shoujo-ai.
Coronavirus.
Oct 28, 2016 10:06 PM

Sep 2013
shanimebib said:
Erika___ said:
But you know, this is kyoani, and all they do is tease and tease lol

I have a feeling the days of teasing only will come to an end with this as it contains shoujo-ai.

wow, seems like kyoani is making an anime every season.. but i dont see shoujo-ai tag in that anime though
Oct 28, 2016 10:13 PM

Nov 2007
Erika___ said:
shanimebib said:

wow, seems like kyoani is making an anime every season.. but i dont see shoujo-ai tag in that anime though

Reading is believing. Read the manga and decide whether it contains shoujo-ai or not.
Coronavirus.
Dec 28, 2016 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
.... They are closer than any romantic relationship can ever be...
What if the two girls became lovers? How would that change the meaning of your line, a line which reads like a life sentence.
They are already closer than most lovers will ever be, but now they start dating... Would that change their closeness or might their decision to get into a romantic relationship with each other falsify your assertion?
[in terms of emotional bonds]
removed-userDec 28, 2016 11:59 PM
Dec 28, 2016 8:17 PM

Dec 2014
Seahorse_Kid said:
I seriously need this show to be like 10 times more gay. I wanted them to kiss in the first season, but now it seems hopeless because she's way into the teacher. ;_;

Ahh those ships may never sail
Dec 28, 2016 8:20 PM

Sep 2009
Brb said:
Has heavy yuri undertones, but whether it is just yuribait or not itself is debatable.

You mean "debaitable?" Ah! Ahh!
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 31, 2016 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
... There is no physical attraction but the bond they share can top any romance, any day, everyday....

VersoSciolto said:

.... Contrary to what has been suggested, however, I do think Kumiko was physically attracted to Reina.....

The conversation is a bit scattered but can be linked through a few connected words and phrases here and there.
Dec 31, 2016 2:45 AM

Nov 2007
VersoSciolto said:
shanimebib said:
... There is no physical attraction but the bond they share can top any romance, any day, everyday....

VersoSciolto said:

.... Contrary to what has been suggested, however, I do think Kumiko was physically attracted to Reina.....

The conversation is a bit scattered but can be linked through a few connected words and phrases here and there.

Now's not the time for shipping. Now's the time for appreciating. Let's just shift the focus on this and this instead. That's what I am doing right now. :D
Coronavirus.
Dec 31, 2016 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:

Now's not the time for shipping. Now's the time for appreciating. Let's just shift the focus on this and this instead. That's what I am doing right now. :D
You think all those comments we wrote were "shipping"?
Dec 31, 2016 12:03 PM

Nov 2007
VersoSciolto said:
shanimebib said:

They were not? Looks like I wasn't paying attention. Disregard everything I have said on this anime up until now. :)
Coronavirus.
Dec 31, 2016 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
VersoSciolto said:

They were not? Looks like I wasn't paying attention. Disregard everything I have said on this anime up until now. :)
They were observations about our society - about love and representation explored through the Kyoani's lenses and our own eyes with references to other arts like music and literature. They were about the limitations of spoken language and the pitfalls of non-verbal communication. Speaking only for myself I can say here and now that my written comments were never as narrow as I understand the meaning of "shipping". "Shipping", to me sounds somewhat demeaning. The topics were too profound for that. In my opinion.
Dec 31, 2016 5:58 PM
Jul 2018
There's no actual Yuri but there are multiple Yuri undertones. If you want actual Yuri, go watch Yuru Yuri, Sakura Trick, or to some extent Akuma no Riddle, or the one show that's called Chocolate. I just can't remember the entire name.
Dec 31, 2016 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
SymphoniacTippy said:
There's no actual Yuri but there are multiple Yuri undertones....
When you answer a question like that, do you wonder about the real world implications of such questions?
Do you wonder if we are required to politely inform someone like "pejahmein" about the presence or absence of lesbians in a series?
How about in the real world?
Should gay people stay in the closet so that someone like "pejahmein" doesn't have to see lesbians when she or he is out and about?
Would it be ok if lesbians walked around in the kind of world "pejahmein" might envision? Only ok as long as those gay people refrain from public displays of intimacy?
Where do we draw the line in accommodating?
At what point does the level of discomfort become so great that we shouldn't tolerate that?
When do we stop answering questions like that with suggestions that it is ok to watch a particular series because there aren't any easily identifiable lesbians in that particular story?
Is questioning the questionable OP, too much to ask?
Hope you don't mind me asking.
Hope you don't mind me suggesting that I would rather live in a world where these threads are no longer deemed necessary anymore because there is nothing unsightly about the depiction of meaningful relationships between women - not even heavy "yuri" ones.
removed-userDec 31, 2016 8:14 PM
Dec 31, 2016 11:43 PM
Jul 2018
pejahmein said:
I want to know if there is yuri in this anime?

I plan to watch it from the first season but i am hesitating because it seems to have heavy yuri.

To be honest i can't watch anime with yuri especially heavy ones but i liked a song in this anime when i accidentally played it in YT that's why i got interested with the anime and i don't have problems with music genre in anime.
I hope I haven't made too many assumptions about you. Maybe you are yourself a lesbian who just wants to be able to watch some entertainment without being reminded about your own life? As an escape from reality, maybe? Is that how it is, pejahmein? Is that why you prefer not to watch yuri, perhaps?
Dec 31, 2016 11:49 PM

Jan 2014
The fan art of this series that looks a lot like the official art has more Yuri than the anime.
Jan 1, 2017 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
Bowie said:
The fan art of this series that looks a lot like the official art has more Yuri than the anime.
What do you think about the question itself? Do you mind if I ask why you are willing to accommodate pejahmein?
Jan 1, 2017 8:40 AM
Apr 2014
VersoSciolto said:
SymphoniacTippy said:
There's no actual Yuri but there are multiple Yuri undertones....
When you answer a question like that, do you wonder about the real world implications of such questions?
Do you wonder if we are required to politely inform someone like "pejahmein" about the presence or absence of lesbians in a series?
How about in the real world?
Should gay people stay in the closet so that someone like "pejahmein" doesn't have to see lesbians when she or he is out and about?
Would it be ok if lesbians walked around in the kind of world "pejahmein" might envision? Only ok as long as those gay people refrain from public displays of intimacy?
Where do we draw the line in accommodating?
At what point does the level of discomfort become so great that we shouldn't tolerate that?
When do we stop answering questions like that with suggestions that it is ok to watch a particular series because there aren't any easily identifiable lesbians in that particular story?
Is questioning the questionable OP, too much to ask?
Hope you don't mind me asking.
Hope you don't mind me suggesting that I would rather live in a world where these threads are no longer deemed necessary anymore because there is nothing unsightly about the depiction of meaningful relationships between women - not even heavy "yuri" ones.

What if you're reading way too much into it. People ask if there's action in a series. If there's romance. If the guy/girl is bespectacled. If it focuses on sports. People can decide to watch a show for a particular characteristic in it. People can decide not to watch a show because of a particular characteristic. I may not like tsundere characters, for example. By your reasoning nobody would be allowed to even know what a show is about, because searching for something in particular in a show would be demeaning. What if OP wanted to see friendship depicted here? What if OP didn't want any romance? What if OP wanted heterosexual romance to project him/herself into the story? Being offended by this thread makes no sense. As much as you possibly losing interest in a show where yuri never happens isn't offensive towards anyone.
Jan 1, 2017 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
thelumpur said:
What if you're reading way too much into it. People ask if there's action in a series. If there's romance. If the guy/girl is bespectacled. If it focuses on sports. People can decide to watch a show for a particular characteristic in it. People can decide not to watch a show because of a particular characteristic. I may not like tsundere characters, for example. By your reasoning nobody would be allowed to even know what a show is about, because searching for something in particular in a show would be demeaning. What if OP wanted to see friendship depicted here? What if OP didn't want any romance? What if OP wanted heterosexual romance to project him/herself into the story? Being offended by this thread makes no sense. As much as you possibly losing interest in a show where yuri never happens isn't offensive towards anyone.
The OP can answer that way if that is what the OP had in mind. Cutting through all the assumptions...

What if I'm not reading too much into it, though? What -if anything- would you say is the difference between the examples you give and the actual topic of the OP's question? Why the need to sound so dismissive of the possibility that I might be asking the right questions? Thanks for pointing them out though and for assuming I had not thought of that option...
Jan 1, 2017 9:56 AM
Apr 2014
VersoSciolto said:
thelumpur said:
The OP can answer that way if that is what the OP had in mind. Cutting through all the assumptions...

What if I'm not reading too much into it, though? What -if anything- would you say is the difference between the examples you give and the actual topic of the OP's question? Why the need to sound so dismissive of the possibility that I might be asking the right questions? Thanks for pointing them out though and for assuming I had not thought of that option...

First of all, I'm not assuming anything about you, I do bring a point of view in an argument, that you can later oppose. Or is it that I don't understand how a forum works. On the contrary, I realized you had thought about it before, and I brought it up exactly to read your opinion about it.

OP doesn't like yuri. Yuri is a genre, not a symbol of freedom of self-expression. I'd even say that sometimes yuri can be even degrading to homosexuals, as it is more often than not exploited as fanservice. Not liking yuri doesn't mean not being supportive of homosexual relationships. It means not having interest in that type of fiction. And since fiction is usually a mean to escape from real life and daydream, it's no wonder that people will look for the show in which the cute girl/hot guy falls for a character that can represent the viewer. That's the entire point of the harem genre (which I strongly dislike), for example. People tend to prefer stories in which the more relatable character is the one who gets the win (be it in romance or other things). Can you honestly say that you wouldn't be disappointed if in a love triangle in which a girl and a boy fight for another girl, the boy comes victorious? Can you honestly say you wouldn't even consider avoiding a show knowing this element beforehand? Is there something wrong with it? Nope. It's fiction. Playing a first person shooter doesn't mean I can't be a pacifist. This example doesn't make quite the same impact to us, but what if you made it to someone who has experienced war? We should always be able to separate the words of fiction and reality, and berating someone we don't even know based on a not insulting post on a forum seems to me way more loaded with prejudice than what you think you're fighting against.

Finally, a suggestion on a more personal level: all this series of "hoping" makes it for a very condescending way of arguing, that certainly doesn't help making people want to join in a discussion. I'd rather you tell me directly that you think I spouted a lot of stupid stuff.
Jan 1, 2017 5:57 PM
Jul 2018
... yet, good faith is assumed from the OP.

As a thought experiment we could put comments on sliding scales and judge them on a few separate but related criteria.

Line 1:
a. Rank the questions, sentences or words in this and other threads about this topic from most offensive to least offensive
and
b. Designate a neutral point somewhere along that line beyond which it would become inappropriate.

Line 2: Rank the questions based on their effectiveness in soliciting responses.

Line 3: Add lines I may have overlooked or intentionally omitted.

Why didn't anyone else ask the OP why he wanted to know?
Is that question in itself inappropriate or does it depend on the tone?

Why did you, yourself, not respond until I crossed some neutral point on one of such plotted lines?

Yuri is a genre. It is, arguably, also a euphemism for lesbian. Some may say they are the same. Some may say there is some overlap. Others may well argue there isn't real overlap at all. Yuri is fictional. A character. The other word more likely represents a real person. Some may say that using "some may say" in an argument is resorting to logical fallacy.

Who said it and why was it said? Asking that would bring us back to the OP. Who has not returned to elaborate. Is that too much to expect?

If we substitute the word yuri in the OP's question at which point does the question seem inappropriate?
Hyperbole alert.

Comments I've seen:
If Kyoani doesn't give us a yuri ending we're going to burn their studio.
If Shuuichi starts dating Kumiko we're going to put yuri-fans on suicide watch.

I'm sure you can come up with examples of your own. I'm sure you've also seen the responses to such strongly expressed sentiments. Perhaps you've also seen the term "almost criminal" pop up in comments. At times taken out of context. Did the meaning change?
Which -if any- of the remarks you've seen in these threads comes closest to being criminal? Is there such a thing as criminal language in a conversation like this?

Why did the OP ask? So far you've only mentioned one side of the neutral point. Would that be a fair assessment of your position? If, not I apologise for asking offensive questions. Apologise for sounding condescending.
removed-userJan 1, 2017 6:01 PM
Jan 2, 2017 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
Hopeful. How can I remain hopeful in the face of this, selective pick from earlier comments by the OP and others - left in a thread about a series that bears some similarities with Hibike!.

In the category “almost criminal”, as I see it. At times taken out of context. Did the meaning change?
To deflect criticism levelled at posters who don’t want to see "gays" in anime the nazis were invoked. Not as a warning but as an attempt to take the sting out of the word "homophobe". To diffuse anticipated criticism for their choices in anime, a poster attempts to appropriate the tyrannical regime which put gay people in camps. Referenced to justify not listening to those who might call him and his friends "intolerant" or "homophobic" for not wanting to see a gay character in a relationship with a teacher.
Pejamein, remained silent after that insight was offered in that thread. Offered after Pejamein wondered out loud if it is really so bad to be labled a homophobe on the internet. Offered as justification for his choices? You don't know me. That is correct. I don't. I only have your words to go by.
Is it really so bad to ask follow up questions? Do you think Pejamein would have been more forthcoming with an explanation if the question had been rephrased from:

"At which point do meaningful relationships between women turn into something you can no longer watch, or tolerate?
Can you give some examples of depictions of homosexuality you find unbearable?"

- which is how I broached the topic, with as much politeness as I could muster at the time.

Did you look at those earlier comments Pejamein wrote? It is correct in that I don't know Pejamein in real life. Pejamein can return to explain the grounds for preferring not to see gays in anime. Perhaps I assumed the wrong motives. Perhaps I should have been more hopeful and not assumed the worse possible scenario. But how could I? Honestly...

If you think it is possible to ask in a more polite manner and get an honest response, please, by all means, give it a try. Because I don't want to. I'd rather eat crow.
removed-userJan 2, 2017 8:32 PM
Jan 3, 2017 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
thelumpur said:
OP doesn't like yuri. Yuri is a genre, not a symbol of freedom of self-expression. I'd even say that sometimes yuri can be even degrading to homosexuals, as it is more often than not exploited as fanservice. Not liking yuri doesn't mean not being supportive of homosexual relationships. It means not having interest in that type of fiction. And since fiction is usually a mean to escape from real life and daydream, it's no wonder that people will look for the show in which the cute girl/hot guy falls for a character that can represent the viewer. That's the entire point of the harem genre (which I strongly dislike), for example. People tend to prefer stories in which the more relatable character is the one who gets the win (be it in romance or other things). Can you honestly say that you wouldn't be disappointed if in a love triangle in which a girl and a boy fight for another girl, the boy comes victorious? Can you honestly say you wouldn't even consider avoiding a show knowing this element beforehand? Is there something wrong with it? Nope. It's fiction. Playing a first person shooter doesn't mean I can't be a pacifist. This example doesn't make quite the same impact to us, but what if you made it to someone who has experienced war? We should always be able to separate the words of fiction and reality, and berating someone we don't even know based on a not insulting post on a forum seems to me way more loaded with prejudice than what you think you're fighting against.

Finally, a suggestion on a more personal level: all this series of "hoping" makes it for a very condescending way of arguing, that certainly doesn't help making people want to join in a discussion. I'd rather you tell me directly that you think I spouted a lot of stupid stuff.
I think yuri is a symbol of freedom of self-expression. Censorship exists in Japan but it is arguably also a place where such expressions are tolerated and sometimes encouraged. That isn't true everywhere. Perhaps we take certain forms of expression and self-expression for granted.
I agree with you when you write that not all "yuri" is respectful of homosexuality and that some depictions of lesbians in yuri stories can be degrading and exploitative. I'm not entirely sure if those are the reasons why Pejamein didn't wan to see gay people in the two series on which that poster commented publicly.

I think I can, ... honestly say that I wouldn't be disappointed if in a love triangle in which a girl and a boy fight for another girl, the boy comes victorious. And I can also honestly say I wouldn't even consider avoiding a show knowing this element beforehand. Because it depends on the characters, their personalities and their circumstances. I drop series and I avoid series but it isn't done a-priori on the forewarning that the characters have a particular sexual orientation.

Example:
removed-userJan 3, 2017 7:01 PM
Jan 8, 2017 4:09 PM

May 2012
I dont think its yuri bait. Not in any traditional sense. The path Reina and Kumiko are on right now could 100% lead to yuri without any suspension of disbelief at all.
Jan 9, 2017 7:16 AM

Jul 2009
It should have, Reina and Kumiko have great chemistry...too bad Reina is in love with the teacher...
Jan 18, 2017 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
It looks like you've rejoined the conversation on these topics, Shanimebib. In a round about way even responded to me again. Should I consider that an invitation to continue our conversation or were you perhaps assuming that my last few comments in that other thread applied to all possible threads on these matters beyond that one thread on that one forum?

Please let me know, For now, I'm picking this up here from these lines again.
removed-userJan 18, 2017 6:40 PM
Jan 18, 2017 5:06 PM

Jan 2017
If it does I'll watch it lol
Jan 18, 2017 5:21 PM

Sep 2015
Yeah I will, Reina x Kumiko FTW. Sadly it's bait exclusively
Jan 18, 2017 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
DICKamaru said:
I think it is worth a look either way. A critical look, in some respects, but worth a look all the same. That's my take on it.
Jan 18, 2017 5:25 PM

Jan 2017
VersoSciolto said:
DICKamaru said:
I think it is worth a look either way. A critical look, in some respects, but worth a look all the same. That's my take on it.

I'll check either way then, thanks man
Jan 18, 2017 10:04 PM

Feb 2016
Although I'm sure OP considers the issue resolved, I thought this is still an interesting topic, so I figure I'd give my 2c -- especially when so many people are claiming this show is not Yuri.

First, yes. I think there is Yuri. Now, maybe people have different views on what yuri is. I consider any subject matter dealing with lesbian romance, feelings, and actions to be yuri. Strictly speaking, there need not be an open relationship or any sort of physical relationship between any characters in order to classify it as having yuri. Why I consider it yuri I will explain a little further below.

The second point is whether or not the show is about yuri. Now, I've asserted that there IS yuri in the show, but a more important question is what the show is really about? Is it about music? Is it about relationships? Is it a coming of age story? Is it about following your dreams? Well. It's a good mix of all, however, I think the main theme of the show is relationships. Not just necessarily romantic ones, but also ones of friendship, rivalry, admiration, and even relationships that are so confusing that it's hard to put a finger on what they exactly are. With that in mind, whether or not the main focus of the relationships is on yuri is up for debate. I don't want to spoil the plot, so it will suffice to say that the ending definitely sends a mixed message about the overall plot of the show, so I think there is room to argue either way.

Now, why do I think the show has yuri? Well, that's rather simple. Without giving away too much plot, it is quite clear that Kumiko has feelings for Reina. Part of the journey is figuring out what those feelings are, but I have no doubt that they are approaching romantic feelings. Moreover, depending on how you interpret the ending, I think there is a good possibility that what we saw was a romance in bloom. You also have to consider what kind of message the show sends when the show ends on this specific note (pun intended). How a show ends is very important to the overall meaning of the plot. Finally, I think several characters showed romantic interest in others, even if it was one sided. Of course, there are a few really bait-y scenes thrown in, I won't lie. Some of which are, again, quite puzzling since they show a mixed message about people's feelings. But then again, don't we all send mixed signals from time to time?

Perhaps another interesting question would be if this is a good show for those who are into yuri. I would say, yes and no. It's a good show regardless, but the occasional yuri-bait (sorry I lack a better term) scenes they throw in frustrated me more than anything. The yuri undertones were very well done and I just heard myself screaming on the inside for more. But instead, they tease and tease with not much of a payoff. Granted, the resolution was quite elegant. Maybe that's what fascinates me the most about how the did the show. They managed to somehow make the show feel like yuri without overtly dealing with the subject. It's difficult not to appreciate. As someone who's into yuri, I'd say this is above shows like Sakura Trick, Strawberry Panic, and Yuru Yuri, albeit they are all quite different.

I'd say this one is pretty safe to watch with people who aren't into yuri (god knows for what reason).

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.