Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which of the three ruins the fun of Gaming?
Aug 28, 2016 10:28 AM

May 2015
Which of these three that I've mentioned above are worst that really ruins the fun of gaming?
If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Aug 28, 2016 10:41 AM

Jan 2013
Pre-ordering isn't bad, especially when it's for niche titles where manufacturing is very limited but the audience is very spread out.

DLC is good because it gives a game more longevity (On-disc or day-one DLC is a whole different matter though).

Season passes are complete shit though.
Aug 28, 2016 10:50 AM

Apr 2014
All three depending on the situation.

You shouldn't Pre-Order games because by the time it comes out it may not be your actual expectation. You gave into hype. With refunding today, especially on steam, it's not as bad now. But it can be something annoying to deal with. Fuck the Pre-Order bonuses and just wait for actual reviews for the game come out.

DLC isn't bad either, it expands the game. Some DLC is ridiculously priced though.

Season Passes are the worst offenders because you're paying for non-refundable content that has yet to come out, or in some games cases, not even announced what's in it. Don't buy Season Passes...
Aug 28, 2016 10:57 AM

Jan 2013
All three, but pre-orders are the worst of the bunch.

People are buying promises of games they won't probably get. Since game developers aren't being held responsible for lying to the customers, they will promise to give you the best game ever, DLC-free etc. only to betray your trust the next day.

No Man's Sky is a recent example of such situation.
Aug 28, 2016 11:00 AM

Aug 2016
Depends. I think it's s a case by case biases.

It was absolutely worth it to buy the season pass for The Witcher 3 and all of the DLC was free.

As a preorder, some people were upset the actual game didn't look like the trailer.

I'll only preorder games if I know the franchise is a good one and if theres some special rewards being offered that make it worthwhile.

DLC is only worth it if i'm buying an expansion pack. Costumes, exp boosts, weapon skins, and other cosmetic stuff is a shameless practice and should be FREE.
Aug 28, 2016 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
They're all cancer but idiots pre-ordering massive amounts of shitty AAA games are a serious problem. Who cares about the quality or stability of a game when you can sell it before it's done? That's why a massive part of a game's budget goes into marketing and not the actual fucking content.
Aug 28, 2016 11:25 AM

May 2016
95PercentCaim said:
Pre-ordering isn't bad, especially when it's for niche titles where manufacturing is very limited but the audience is very spread out.

DLC is good because it gives a game more longevity (On-disc or day-one DLC is a whole different matter though).

yeah pre ordering NMS was such a GREAT idea!!!

no. PO are worst, ez
Aug 28, 2016 11:37 AM

May 2010
"Get the season pass of a long line of DLC. You don't know how amazing it'll be! And neither do we. We haven't made it yet (or we actually have already made it and are just charging you more for it rather than putting it in the initial game). However we're pretty damn sure you'll be satisfied after giving us $80."

At least with standard DLC, you can determine which individual downloads you want, and if it's worth it.

Pre-ordering a standard packaged game is kinda dumb, but pre-ordering in general gives the producers an excuse to give us all collector style products such as steel books and figures.
Aug 28, 2016 12:03 PM

Jan 2013
Sorakaa said:
95PercentCaim said:

yeah pre ordering NMS was such a GREAT idea!!!

no. PO are worst, ez
Blame the man, not the concept.

Sean Murray lying to everybody about his game does not make preordering a bad concept, it just makes Sean Murray a lying asshat.
Aug 28, 2016 12:20 PM

Sep 2015
Pre orders. I'm not too well informed on season passes but I know buying a game before it's out is a bad idea. You don't know how it'll turn out whatsoever
Aug 28, 2016 12:31 PM

Nov 2008
Personally, if I made a game, I'd keep releasing DLC for years, always expanding and tweaking the game until I got what I wanted. DLC is a great idea, but it often gets abused.

Pre-order exclusives are the worst.

Aug 28, 2016 12:39 PM

Feb 2016
None of the above.

If people want to get games day one that's their business. Pre-Order, go for it. I don't really like pre order exclusives though, especially if they don't release them as DLC and it's such a awesome package...

DLC is optional extra content... what's wrong with that? If you have interest in it, you can buy it. If you don't, then don't.

Season Passes are like gold imo, who doesn't love a discount? Getting them at release when you don't really know what's to come, ehhh... Season passes stay even after the content is out though. Free like 10% discount on all the main dlc by buying it in bundle (season pass). Can't hate a discount :p

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Aug 28, 2016 12:46 PM

Apr 2016
Pre-order and DLC are fine, but Season Passes are cancer of gaming industry.
Aug 28, 2016 1:05 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
From a totally different point of view, as a free to play player, I hate DLCs because I pay for the game, not for 80% of the game. Pre-order is fine as long as it is something you know you will buy, so it gives an advantage (most likely some figurine or toy) and I don't care buying three months ago a Pokémon game.
And Season Passes I don't know what that is, but leave it be if it doesn't bother me ;)
Aka selfish x.x

Aug 28, 2016 1:15 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Pre-ordering isn't an issue at all to me. If I'm interested enough in something to be willing to buy it at full price when it's new then I might as well just pre-order it regardless, no?

DLCs (paid ones that is) are also fine as long as the content provided is substantial enough to warrant the price tag; like new story content or similar. If it's just cosmetics like skins or something silly like that then there's no way I'll buy it though. Still that doesn't mean I have a problem with it existing, I just... won't buy it. The base game alone is fine in that case

Season passes are fine too, no real downside in getting a bundled discount. I'd like to have some information about what the bundle will contain beforehand though

I'd say the worst are none of the above however, that honor goes to game time cards. Those are basically inexcusable. You should be able to play your games whenever you want, not put you on a timer to cram in as much playtime as possible while you still have it available just to give yourself more value proposition. I played WoW for a while back in the day but I'm never playing anything with that kind of payment system again, that's for sure
HaXXspettenAug 28, 2016 1:20 PM
Aug 28, 2016 1:51 PM

Feb 2010
Season passes are pretty much pre ordering DLCs.
Aug 28, 2016 2:09 PM

Aug 2014
When it comes to pre-order, I don't quite mind them, as you aren't really forced to buy it during that moment - whether or not you'll get it there and then is completely up to you, though it does become kinda bs if you by pre-ordering gets some gear that can't be obtained any other way and can change the game by alot. So it kinda depends on just what you'll get from it.

DLCs are fine really, they are mostly just add-ons and so long you don't need them to actually enjoy the base game, I don't see much of a problem with them either. Another thing is, though, that if it's DLCs with just cosmetics and nothing new in terms of story or gameplay, it's just stupid unless it doesn't count a good amount of money.

Season Pass's are kinda so-so. You don't quite know what to expect from them when you buy it - there could be 1 DLC you hear great things about while another being shit, which in turn may make the season pass not worth it.
Aug 29, 2016 6:39 AM

Mar 2016
RyanEsau said:
None of the above.

If people want to get games day one that's their business. Pre-Order, go for it. I don't really like pre order exclusives though, especially if they don't release them as DLC and it's such a awesome package...

DLC is optional extra content... what's wrong with that? If you have interest in it, you can buy it. If you don't, then don't.

This ^

i don't know how dlcs ruin your fun in gaming . You're not obliged to get them . They don't ruin the experience unless they should have been part of the game and the developers decided to put it as dlc to get some money . If it's side stories, additional missions/contents, microtransactions, costumes etc then they aren't really much necessary for the experience and don't take anything from the fun . Also, if people want the pre-order, it's their business . Personally, I'm more patient so I wait for the game to come out and see if it's worth it . If not, wait till the price is lowered a bit .
Shishou_23Aug 29, 2016 6:47 AM
Aug 29, 2016 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
DragonSlayer_19 said:
RyanEsau said:
None of the above.

This ^

i don't know how dlcs ruin your fun in gaming . You're not obliged to get them . They don't ruin the experience unless they should have been part of the game and the developers decided to put it as dlc to get some money . If it's side stories, additional missions/contents, microtransactions, costumes etc then they aren't really much necessary for the experience and don't take anything from the fun . Also, if people want the pre-order, it's their business . Personally, I'm more patient so I wait for the game to come out and see if it's worth it . If not, wait till the price is lowered a bit .

You seem to be under the impression that developers make the games first and then add microtransaction after "if the player wants to". Well it's not the case fam, if there are microtransactions in a game, it's most likely because the whole game is designed around them. Progress often becomes tedious or just straight impossible without buying ingame currency, special items or boosts. This is the reason why most mobile games are garbage, they're attempts at making you spend some money in order to have a bit of fun. And this doesn't just happen with mobile, just see what happened to GTA Online after cash cards got included or the recent Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with it's Breach mode that quickly becomes bullshit without buying microstransactions.

Traditional DLC, while it can be good (The Witcher 3 for example), is also pretty cancerous sometimes. It often leads to a divided playerbase in multiplayer games, which can influence players to buy the next map packs in order to keep up and not be left behind. Dlc can also be too expensive, with players wanting the full experience having to pay more than 150 $ sometimes. This becomes a problem when most of the game's content is locked behind DLC (Paradox Grand Strategy games are well known for this).

Stop with the memes plz, DLC is not ok.
Aug 29, 2016 8:55 AM

Jan 2013
policemanking said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:

This ^

Traditional DLC, while it can be good (The Witcher 3 for example), is also pretty cancerous sometimes. It often leads to a divided playerbase in multiplayer games, which can influence players to buy the next map packs in order to keep up and not be left behind. Dlc can also be too expensive, with players wanting the full experience having to pay more than 150 $ sometimes. This becomes a problem when most of the game's content is locked behind DLC (Paradox Grand Strategy games are well known for this).

You're describing expansion packs, not DLC. And also

"Expansion packs may be good (for example, this singleplayer game) but because of problems in multiplayer games, expansion packs are therefore bad".

That's dumb.
Aug 29, 2016 9:11 AM

Nov 2008
Mandatory LEs with important in game content hidden behind the LE paywall (Macross Delta Scramble), yes, you hear that right a game requires you to buy the LE or miss out on crucial content because Scamco locked out almost all of the music in the game behind an $89 LE and didn't have the decency to enable the built in custom soundtrack on the Vita for the game.

Aug 29, 2016 9:13 AM

May 2015
Hoppy said:
Mandatory LEs with important in game content hidden behind the LE paywall (Macross Delta Scramble), yes, you hear that right a game requires you to buy the LE or miss out on crucial content because Scamco locked out almost all of the music in the game behind an $89 LE and didn't have the decency to enable the built in custom soundtrack on the Vita for the game.
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't follow you, but what's an LE?
If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Aug 29, 2016 9:14 AM

Nov 2008
ImTheJuggernaut said:
Hoppy said:
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't follow you, but what's an LE?

Limited Edition version of a game.

Aug 29, 2016 9:24 AM
Aug 2014
Well season passes are preordering and DLC's combined so thats the worst.
You can find justified situations for preordering but never for a AAA title, only indie games that couldnt be made otherwise.
DLC has been around forever, earlier it was just called Ad-ons. Frozen Throne was making Warcraft 3 so much better than it already was. It came with content for the multiplayer and an epic singleplayer-campaign that was as long as in the original game.
That is awesome and should stay because it makes gaming better, and its not like this is dead yet. Without having played it myself i heard that the recent Witcher 3 DLC blood and wine is like this. Sadly the general practice is more like the infamous horse armor from oblivion
Aug 29, 2016 9:56 AM

Mar 2016
policemanking said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:

This ^

You seem to be under the impression that developers make the games first and then add microtransaction after "if the player wants to". Well it's not the case fam, if there are microtransactions in a game, it's most likely because the whole game is designed around them. Progress often becomes tedious or just straight impossible without buying ingame currency, special items or boosts. This is the reason why most mobile games are garbage, they're attempts at making you spend some money in order to have a bit of fun. And this doesn't just happen with mobile, just see what happened to GTA Online after cash cards got included or the recent Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with it's Breach mode that quickly becomes bullshit without buying microstransactions.

Lol I am not under an impression. I have deus ex and i know microtransactions are from day 1 and I played GTA and enjoy it without the need for cash cards .
Aug 29, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
95PercentCaim said:
policemanking said:

"Expansion packs may be good (for example, this singleplayer game) but because of problems in multiplayer games, expansion packs are therefore bad".

That's dumb.

An expansion pack is considered a DLC nowadays. You had to buy it on disc back in the days but now you can download it just like any other smaller DLC. Downloadable Content. Wew.
Aug 29, 2016 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
policemanking said:
95PercentCaim said:

That's dumb.

An expansion pack is considered a DLC nowadays. You had to buy it on disc back in the days but now you can download it just like any other smaller DLC. Downloadable Content. Wew.
Uh, no. Only underage and casual shitters consider expansions to be synonymous with DLC.

Expansions are still sold physically and offer more content unlike DLC. And if we were to go buy your logic of "we can download it so it's therefore DLC", then entire games can just go with the DLC label as well, however, that's an obviously large discrepency.

DLC and expansion packs are two completely seperate things. Notice how many publications and communities, for example, refer to the Witcher 3's Blood & Wine add-on to be an expansion rather than DLC.
PeenusWeenusCaimAug 29, 2016 12:02 PM
Aug 29, 2016 12:06 PM

Jan 2013
@95PercentCaim

DLC = Downloadable content

Not all DLC are expansion packs, there's load of Horse Armor-ish stuff out there.
Some (most, nowadays) expansion packs are donwloadable, or download only, so they are DLC. Easy as that.

I've never really understood whats the deal with people praising expansion packs, and shitting on DLC at the same time :/ They're the same...
Aug 29, 2016 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
All of them ruin gaming...
Aug 29, 2016 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
95PercentCaim said:
policemanking said:

Uh, no. Only underage and casual shitters consider expansions to be synonymous with DLC.

Expansions are still sold physically and offer more content unlike DLC. And if we were to go buy your logic of "we can download it so it's therefore DLC", then entire games can just go with the DLC label as well, however, that's an obviously large discrepency.

DLC and expansion packs are two completely seperate things. Notice how many publications and communities, for example, refer to the Witcher 3's Blood & Wine add-on to be an expansion rather than DLC.

The only difference between the two is that the expansion pack has more content. That's why we call it an expansion, it expands on the base game, but it's still DLC. If the expansion is still sold in discs like Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare, we call it a standalone expansion, which can be considered another game entirely. Can I play Blood and Wine without the base game? No? DLC it is then.
Aug 29, 2016 3:02 PM

May 2010
I can't consider DLC natively evil because of cases like Smash Bros. Certainly it isn't the norm, but it's not a rule that DLC has to be a cash grab. There's no way Cloud or Bayonetta wouldn't have gotten in if they weren't proposed and designed after the games released.
Aug 29, 2016 3:35 PM

Jan 2013
CondemneDio said:
@95PercentCaim

Not all DLC are expansion packs, there's load of Horse Armor-ish stuff out there.
Some (most, nowadays) expansion packs are donwloadable, or download only, so they are DLC. Easy as that.

I've never really understood whats the deal with people praising expansion packs, and shitting on DLC at the same time :/ They're the same...
A product being downloadable online does not mean it's immediately described as DLC. Do you ever see people label Adblock as DLC? Do you hear people call Metal Gear Solid DLC just because they downloaded it off of PSN?

The term is entirely associated with games and has evolved to mean official online-only content made to supplement a completed game. This can range from extra quests, a new map, horse armor, or titty costumes. Expansion packs are of a different matter, they offer a substantially large amount of content comparable to the base game, can be sold physically or digitally, and come at a higher price. Notice how Bethesda labeled their Shivering Isles add-on an expansion, but horse armor and Dawnguard as DLC.
policemanking said:
The only difference between the two is that the expansion pack has more content. That's why we call it an expansion, it expands on the base game, but it's still DLC. If the expansion is still sold in discs like Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare, we call it a standalone expansion, which can be considered another game entirely. Can I play Blood and Wine without the base game? No? DLC it is then.
Absolutely wrong. Expansions are only called standalone when you don't need the base game to play them. Otherwise, they are just called expansions.
Aug 29, 2016 4:33 PM
Jul 2018
95PercentCaim said:
CondemneDio said:
@95PercentCaim

A product being downloadable online does not mean it's immediately described as DLC. Do you ever see people label Adblock as DLC? Do you hear people call Metal Gear Solid DLC just because they downloaded it off of PSN?

The term is entirely associated with games and has evolved to mean official online-only content made to supplement a completed game. This can range from extra quests, a new map, horse armor, or titty costumes. Expansion packs are of a different matter, they offer a substantially large amount of content comparable to the base game, can be sold physically or digitally, and come at a higher price. Notice how Bethesda labeled their Shivering Isles add-on an expansion, but horse armor and Dawnguard as DLC.
policemanking said:
Absolutely wrong. Expansions are only called standalone when you don't need the base game to play them. Otherwise, they are just called expansions.

Yes, that's what I said, I know what a standalone expansion is. Did you know that if you buy Blood and Wine in store, the only thing you'll recieve is a download code? You enter the code on your Xbox or PS4 the same way you would if you had a dlc code. Expansion is simply a term you use to mean that the DLC is bigger, it doesn't mean that it isn't a DLC. Steam, PSN and the Xbox market all put the expansion packs under DLC category. The stuff like costumes or items don't have a specific name attached to them, hence why we just call them DLC, that doesn't mean an expansion isn't a DLC. The only time where you absolutely have to call an expansion "an expansion" is when you have an MMORPG with the expansion required in order to progress further into the game (WoW for example). Aside from that particular case, I don't see why I can't call an expansion a DLC.

This obviously isn't a matter set in stones. Some may see expansions as dlc and some may not, I don't, it doesn't matter. I know I'm right though you faggit.
removed-userAug 29, 2016 6:34 PM
Aug 29, 2016 11:34 PM

Jan 2013
@95PercentCaim

Meh, it's arguing semantics at this point. How does one even determine if something is an expansion pack? Amount of memeory it takes? Some sort of weighted sytem to take into account the size of the actual game?

It's just easier to say they're all DLC, and that some of them are bigger & better than some :P
Aug 30, 2016 2:09 PM

Jan 2013
CondemneDio said:
@95PercentCaim

Meh, it's arguing semantics at this point. How does one even determine if something is an expansion pack? Amount of memeory it takes? Some sort of weighted sytem to take into account the size of the actual game?

It's just easier to say they're all DLC, and that some of them are bigger & better than some :P
You don't go to a brick and mortar store and buy dlc off the store shelf though. Unlike DLC, where they are only available through a digital format, expansions can be purchased physically.

policemanking said:
Yes, that's what I said, I know what a standalone expansion is. Did you know that if you buy Blood and Wine in store, the only thing you'll recieve is a download code? You enter the code on your Xbox or PS4 the same way you would if you had a dlc code. Expansion is simply a term you use to mean that the DLC is bigger, it doesn't mean that it isn't a DLC. Steam, PSN and the Xbox market all put the expansion packs under DLC category. The stuff like costumes or items don't have a specific name attached to them, hence why we just call them DLC, that doesn't mean an expansion isn't a DLC. The only time where you absolutely have to call an expansion "an expansion" is when you have an MMORPG with the expansion required in order to progress further into the game (WoW for example). Aside from that particular case, I don't see why I can't call an expansion a DLC.

This obviously isn't a matter set in stones. Some may see expansions as dlc and some may not, I don't, it doesn't matter. I know I'm right though you faggit.
Fallout 4's physical PC versions only had steam keys in the box when purchased, doesnt change the fact that it's still sold physically and considered a retail product.

Expansion as a term existed before DLC did.

Except PSN and Xbox Live label all expansions and most DLC as add-ons.

Steam's labeling system doesn't count either since Valve is retarded (Soundtracks and PDF files are NOT dlc. RWBY is also not an anime).
PeenusWeenusCaimAug 30, 2016 2:17 PM
Aug 30, 2016 10:33 PM

Dec 2012
I don't see anything wrong with pre-ordering a game. I usually pre order all my physical disk games. Do I get a few bad eggs? Sure, but for the most part I did the research on the game and they delivered.

DLC is a good thing for a game that you want more of. I am willing to buy DLC for games that I want more content from. Then again.. an RPG or an action adventure DLC might be harder to swallow. I want my RPGs and adventure game to be complete packages upon release and I wouldn't be hype about FF XIV's season pass. I'd be excited for new multiplayer content particularly new characters.

Season passes aren't my thing. I rather just wait until the DLC is released because I don't see an advantage unless you must own all DLC. I just buy what interests me. I save money by not purchasing content I won't use/ care about and I might spend more individually... but it's by a small margin in most cases.
Aug 30, 2016 11:12 PM

Jan 2013
95PercentCaim said:
CondemneDio said:
@95PercentCaim

You don't go to a brick and mortar store and buy dlc off the store shelf though. Unlike DLC, where they are only available through a digital format, expansions can be purchased physically.

Are they though? I haven't seen any of these physical expansion packs for years now. Physical game content (for PC at least) is a dying concept, because Steam & dat Gaben.
Aug 31, 2016 7:40 AM

Jan 2013
CondemneDio said:
95PercentCaim said:

Are they though? I haven't seen any of these physical expansion packs for years now. Physical game content (for PC at least) is a dying concept, because Steam & dat Gaben.

https://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-Brave-World-Pc/dp/B00BZOBE78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472654341&sr=8-1&keywords=Brave+new+world+civ
Aug 31, 2016 8:15 AM

Jan 2013
@95PercentCaim
Okay, they still exist then :D
The question is, for how long? It's bound to go extinct; survival of the fittest and such.
Aug 31, 2016 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
nothing wrong with pre-order.
don't know about passes, but DLC is probably fine, unless they make a game that's only half-complete and expect people to pay for the DLC to get the complete experience.
(as opposed to just getting an optional dlc to expand gameplay)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Aug 31, 2016 8:37 AM

Jul 2015
I think pre-order because considered that lot companies nowadays has tendency to lie to their customers and release unfinished/bugged/unworthy product build on hype, name and advertisement, you basically paying for promises that may or may not be filled
Aug 31, 2016 9:15 AM

Jan 2013
Sukebe14 said:
I think pre-order because considered that lot companies nowadays has tendency to lie to their customers and release unfinished/bugged/unworthy product build on hype, name and advertisement, you basically paying for promises that may or may not be filled

What makes this situation worse is that the companies aren't held responsible for lying to the customers.
If at any other industry this happened, the companies would get into deep trouble.

More topics from this board

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

29 by _Nette_ »»
4 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.