Forum Settings
Forums

Christians Don't Speak the Name of Their God

New
Aug 23, 2016 12:42 PM

Dec 2015
Ok, so I know we have seen a few religious topics recently and I promise I'll try to keep my atheist fedora tipping to a minimum here, but I always found something strange about Christians.

Most Christians simple refer to their god as....God. But if you read the Bible you find that there are numerous names by which this deity goes by.
The most direct translation from the original Aramaic is YHWH (Yahweh)
Jehovah's witnesses argue YHWH is translated as Jehovah.
Sometimes the translation is Elohim.

But despite this Christians rarely use these names to describe their god, why is this?
I would honestly appreciate the opinion of any Christians here, I've read the Bible cover to cover, but as a long life atheist I often have trouble understanding how things work among the religious community.

(keep it civil everyone, no flaming please)
Aug 23, 2016 12:46 PM

Jan 2013
Somehow, I've got a funny feeling most christians don't even know the name of their god.
Aug 23, 2016 12:50 PM

Dec 2015
razor39999 said:
Isn't elohim just the old Hebrew word for god? Although Yahweh probably is a personal name.

Indeed Elohim does best translate as "god" which only goes to show that the Bible uses both the generic word "god" aswell as the name "yhwh" to refer to that god.
Aug 23, 2016 12:50 PM

May 2014
You're only talking about the old testament which is a Jewish text. So YHWH and Elohim are both Jewish names. Though Elohim is just the word for god in Hebrew. While Cristian do use the old testament they primarily follow the new testament. The new testament to my knowledge doesn't refer to God as YHWH.

Also as a side note you aren't supposed to refer to God by his name in Judaism anyway.
Aug 23, 2016 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:

Best joke into the month keep it up.

Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

God never gave his name
Aug 23, 2016 12:52 PM

Jun 2016
And that is what I find interesting considering most people in my country know that God's OG name is Jahve/Yahwe.But apparently some people out there just don't give two shits about that name, although I don't blame them for it.

Also I'm pretty sure that name is just made up too.And it's Old Testament anyway and most Christians nowadays don't give a shit about that.
Erg_OrgyAug 23, 2016 12:56 PM
Aug 23, 2016 12:53 PM

Dec 2015
Bezaliel said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

God never gave his name

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Yahweh

Nope, god definitely gives his name in the Bible.
Unless you don't care about Moses of course.
Aug 23, 2016 1:00 PM
Oct 2014
God is a Germanic word for God, Jehovah and the rest are not.

From Old Norse guð, from Proto-Germanic *gudą, from Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰuto-.

It means "good"

Aug 23, 2016 1:02 PM

Dec 2015
Rarusu_ said:
God is a Germanic word for God, Jehovah and the rest are not.

From Old Norse guð, from Proto-Germanic *gudą, from Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰuto-.

It means "good"

Yeah but the Bible is in Aramaic, and nowhere does it say "god" "guð" "gudą" or "ǵʰuto". It says YHWH or Elohim.
Aug 23, 2016 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
Bezaliel said:

God never gave his name

That quote I put is from the bible Exodus 6:2
Aug 23, 2016 1:07 PM

Dec 2015
Bezaliel said:
Bobby2Hands said:

YHWH is in Exodus...at my vague guess more than 100 times.
This isn't some contested point. The god of the Bible is written in the original text as YHWH.
Aug 23, 2016 1:07 PM

Aug 2013
Bobby2Hands said:

actually the first rendering of God’s personal name in an English Bible appeared in 1530 in William Tyndale’s translation of the Pentateuch. He used the form “Iehouah.” Over time, the English language changed, and the spelling of the divine name was modernized. For example, in 1612, Henry Ainsworth used the form “Iehovah” throughout his translation of the book of Psalms. Then, in 1639, when that work was revised and printed with the Pentateuch, the form “Jehovah” was used. In 1901, the translators who produced the American Standard Version of the Bible used the form “Jehovah” where the divine name appeared in the Hebrew text.

Explaining why he used “Jehovah” instead of “Yahweh” in his 1911 work Studies in the Psalms, respected Bible scholar Joseph Bryant Rotherham said that he wanted to employ a “form of the name more familiar (while perfectly acceptable) to the general Bible-reading public.” In 1930 scholar A. F. Kirkpatrick made a similar point regarding the use of the form “Jehovah.” He said: “Modern grammarians argue that it ought to be read Yahveh or Yahaveh; but JEHOVAH seems firmly rooted in the English language, and the really important point is not the exact pronunciation, but the recognition that it is a Proper Name, not merely an appellative title like ‘Lord.’”
Aug 23, 2016 1:09 PM

Dec 2015
Goofs said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Yeah but the Bible is in Aramaic, and nowhere does it say "god" "guð" "gudą" or "ǵʰuto". It says YHWH or Elohim.
when they were converting Germanic peoples, they would use terms that made sense to those people, and like I mentioned in my other post, Gaut was a name for Odin, their most high god, so why not refer to the Christian God as the true Gaut?

it's similar to how when converting African tribes, they use terms familiar to those tribes

No I understand from an etymological standpoint how "Gaut" becomes "God".
But what I'm asking is why Christians rarely refer to their "gaut" as Yahweh.

Sherlupin said:
Bobby2Hands said:

actually the first rendering of God’s personal name in an English Bible appeared in 1530 in William Tyndale’s translation of the Pentateuch. He used the form “Iehouah.” Over time, the English language changed, and the spelling of the divine name was modernized. For example, in 1612, Henry Ainsworth used the form “Iehovah” throughout his translation of the book of Psalms. Then, in 1639, when that work was revised and printed with the Pentateuch, the form “Jehovah” was used. In 1901, the translators who produced the American Standard Version of the Bible used the form “Jehovah” where the divine name appeared in the Hebrew text.

Explaining why he used “Jehovah” instead of “Yahweh” in his 1911 work Studies in the Psalms, respected Bible scholar Joseph Bryant Rotherham said that he wanted to employ a “form of the name more familiar (while perfectly acceptable) to the general Bible-reading public.” In 1930 scholar A. F. Kirkpatrick made a similar point regarding the use of the form “Jehovah.” He said: “Modern grammarians argue that it ought to be read Yahveh or Yahaveh; but JEHOVAH seems firmly rooted in the English language, and the really important point is not the exact pronunciation, but the recognition that it is a Proper Name, not merely an appellative title like ‘Lord.’”

Very true.
But once again it doesn't explain why Christians don't say Iehouah or Yahweh or (mostly) Jehovah. Instead simply choosing to say "God"
Aug 23, 2016 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
Bezaliel said:

YHWH is in Exodus...at my vague guess more than 100 times.
This isn't some contested point. The god of the Bible is written in the original text as YHWH.

https://therefinersfire.org/name_of_god2.htm
Aug 23, 2016 1:15 PM

Dec 2015
Goofs said:
Bobby2Hands said:

No I understand from an etymological standpoint how "Gaut" becomes "God".
But what I'm asking is why Christians rarely refer to their "gaut" as Yahweh.
probably habit/tradition? they've been doing it ever since their conversion, and probably figured it was acceptable since the Catholics refer to him as Deus in Latin. as for why Catholics used Deus, it's a similar situation with them, since Deus was another common name for Zeus and gods in general

if anything, blame the Greco-Roman influence on Christianity, they seem to have started the trend. Catholicism borrows a surprising amount from Greco-Roman paganism

You'll also notice that Deus becomes Dios in Spanish...etymology is fun ^^
Aug 23, 2016 1:19 PM

Apr 2014
I'd have thought now it would be weird to name it after Jesus came. He said he can do nothing on his own, only what the father does.

So it sounds better to just say god, or lord or whatever after the trinity is explained.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Aug 23, 2016 1:22 PM

Oct 2014
Why do we call our moon "the moon", our sun "the sun", and our earth "the earth"? Since Christianity only has one god "God" seemed like a suitable way to refer to him even though he actually does have a name.
Aug 23, 2016 1:30 PM
Oct 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
Why do we call our moon "the moon", our sun "the sun", and our earth "the earth"? Since Christianity only has one god "God" seemed like a suitable way to refer to him even though he actually does have a name.

Moon and Sun are named after heathen Germanic Gods. Earth is also a Germanic word meaning "soil" or "land".

Aug 23, 2016 1:42 PM

Nov 2008
Bobby2Hands said:
Ok, so I know we have seen a few religious topics recently and I promise I'll try to keep my atheist fedora tipping to a minimum here, but I always found something strange about Christians.

Most Christians simple refer to their god as....God. But if you read the Bible you find that there are numerous names by which this deity goes by.
The most direct translation from the original Aramaic is YHWH (Yahweh)
Sometimes the translation is Elohim.

But despite this Christians rarely use these names to describe their god, why is this?
I would honestly appreciate the opinion of any Christians here, I've read the Bible cover to cover, but as a long life atheist I often have trouble understanding how things work among the religious community.

That is an interesting question and I don't have a good answer except that "Sometimes we call Him by names in songs". "Jehova" and "Yahweh" are the two most common. Emmanuel also pops up.

I am going to bring this up at the next bible study. lol

Aug 23, 2016 1:49 PM

Sep 2013
>using the jew name

Stick to your atheist religion.
Aug 23, 2016 1:50 PM

Dec 2015
ichii_1 said:
>using the jew name

I mean, you do know Jesus was a Jew and came to fulfil the prophecy of the old testament...
Aug 23, 2016 2:09 PM

Sep 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
ichii_1 said:
>using the jew name

I mean, you do know Jesus was a Jew and came to fulfil the prophecy of the old testament...

Jesus also said Judaism an incomplete religion.
Aug 23, 2016 2:14 PM

Aug 2012
Arab Christians refer to God as Allah. The Arabic name for the Abrahamic God. So not all Christians do what you said.
Aug 23, 2016 2:21 PM

Dec 2015
Yarub said:
Arab Christians refer to God as Allah. The Arabic name for the Abrahamic God. So not all Christians do what you said.

And Japanese Christians refer to him as Kami (which also just means god) but once again I'm asking why Christians don't use the name he is given in the Bible.
Aug 23, 2016 2:23 PM

Aug 2016
My guess is that the Bible has been interpreted and changed by so many different languages, cultures, and people that recent copies of the Bible are probably far different than the original.
Aug 23, 2016 2:25 PM

Aug 2012
Bobby2Hands said:
Yarub said:

And Japanese Christians refer to him as Kami (which also just means god) but once again I'm asking why Christians don't use the name he is given in the Bible.
Oh, that's probably because most of them haven't even read the Bible. Sad but true.
Aug 23, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2009
I would say it's because the Concepts are more important than a mere Name.
Aug 23, 2016 4:38 PM

Aug 2015
As an Eastern Orthodox Christian, my opine is thus:

I am who I am = I am that I am = I am what I do.

God says of Himself He is what He does.

Regardless of what adjective one uses; Allah, God, Lord, Elohim, etc.... it is referring to that I Am.

We know Him as Father, Son and Holy Spirit, one in essence and undivided.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Aug 23, 2016 10:53 PM

Jan 2014
It is simply for convenience and out of respect because God's name is considered holy, so it isn't bandied around.

Christians do call Jesus by his name (Yeshua if you want Hebrew), but God the Father is called the Father just like most people don't call their father by his first name.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 24, 2016 2:09 AM

Apr 2015

Isn't there some sort of thing in the history boo–sorry i mean the bible about that?
Apr 7, 2022 8:43 PM
Jan 2022
RedRoseFring said:
It is simply for convenience and out of respect because God's name is considered holy, so it isn't bandied around.

Christians do call Jesus by his name (Yeshua if you want Hebrew), but God the Father is called the Father just like most people don't call their father by his first name.
I am about to awaken a real christian into casual discussion the legendary redrosefring himself
Read it and weep. Your ethnicity and culture are weak.
Apr 7, 2022 8:55 PM
Dec 2017
Ex-catholic here, and i lost the amount of times i said god in my life lol

Apr 7, 2022 9:01 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Unless you're in a society where you call your parents by their first name I don't see why one would ask this question

It's like calling a king or a president by their titles. At least, that's how I see it

edit: Hmmm also I figured MilkMonster would be the op but he is the one that necroed this so I'm still technically right
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Apr 8, 2022 3:16 AM

Sep 2017
Nice necro.

This is the reason why, obviously :

You're welcome.
Apr 10, 2022 8:11 AM

Jun 2021
I was born Catholic, and I didn't know any of that shit. I just thought his name was God, and that's where the word "god" came from lol

More topics from this board

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

66 by tsukareru »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

33 by elgatosaika »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
54 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 3 hours ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

29 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.