Forum Settings
Forums

Craziest, most idiotic ignorant thing your parents/grandparents have said to you?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 3, 2010 2:32 PM

Apr 2007
Here's an incident that happened many, many years ago but I always fondly remember it -- not as an example of idiocy or even ignorance, but as a perspective on the earlier generations:

My grandfather (now deceased) was born in the late 1800s. He had a mindset much like you would imagine a person born during the Grover Cleveland administration would: very traditionalist, very demanding, and with an isolationist view of a world in which he saw dangers at every turn. He was the type of man that you never saw leave the house without his hat on, his pipe in his mouth, and a newspaper under his arm. A lifelong Republican, he bought completely into the "Red Menace" arguments and was virulently anti-communist. Despite having an admirable knowledge of how a lot of the world worked, he was quite the Luddite and really was genially confused about most aspects of modern technology.

In 1986 the Statue of Liberty celebrated its centennial, and for that commemoration a fleet of tall 3 and 4-mast sailing ships representing various nations of the world was sent up through New York Harbor in parade -- in formation -- to celebrate. Our family happened to be watching this on the television when he walked by (not knowing the event occurring), noticing that one of the display ships was bearing the ensign of the Soviet Union. He promptly began pointing at the screen and warning, "Look there! I told you all -- Look at that, communist ships and their invasion fleet pulling into New York Harbor itself! They've brought their main force over while our defenses were low!" At this point he was going to call the authorities to inform that that New York was being invaded by 19th century clipper ships, so we had to quickly convince him of the harmless nature of this sight. I'm still not certain if he believed us entirely.

Nor am I certain that this was not merely an effect of advanced age. In any event, it was illuminating to me as a child to firsthand see someone view something through the eyes of an age that I thought had long passed.
Feb 3, 2010 2:55 PM

Feb 2009
"Please make sure that if you bump into a boy, you won't grind him as well."

- My Grandmother.

Feb 3, 2010 4:11 PM

Jan 2010
Embah said:
Nottori said:
My mum happens to think that Wiccans are all Satanists... Which kind of pisses me off.

Same here. Friend of mine is Wiccan and mum tried to get me to never speak to him again because he was evil. Or something.
She also doesn't want me hanging out with gay/lesbian/bisexual people because "they all do drugs". Where she got that one, I have no idea. All the druggies I hang out with are straight, ironically.
Grandmother thinks I'm a satanist because I listen to metal, dress primarily in black and have friends that dress primarily in black.

Thankfully my father hasn't said anything that ignorant.

same here my friends are wiccan and I am technicly considered wiccan but my mom spazzed and told me that I dont know anything about religion and her god will show me the way O_o

Feb 3, 2010 4:15 PM

Jan 2010
Chavez said:
AcidBlackCherry said:
My mom always goes on stupid rants about politics and religion etc and we all always on different pages but she has this lovely way of thinking that I wish she was just kidding about.

-She always tells me that males are terrible disgusting creatures and girls rule the world we just let the guys pretend they do.

-males should be locked in cages and only used for breeding.

-we should torture men for all the terrible they have done through out the years.

-she thinks Hitler killed everyone and tried to take over the world becAuse he is a man and that Hitler was a sign sent from her god to show the world how evil me are

she is an inane feminist and a nut job and I don't Agree to any of that shit

Insane is indeed the right word. Is there any reason for her to act retarded? (traumas, mental instability, etc?)

-she was raped and beat by her dad.
-first husband beat her really bad
-a few other boyfriends beat her pretty bad.

so yeah traumas and she is bipolar 0.o

Feb 3, 2010 4:25 PM

Apr 2009
Quite frankly, religion is just weird. All believers are wrong, yet right at the same time. There is physically no proof that any believer can give that that truly is evidence. If one person believes that one thing is correct then it IS correct to THEMSELVES. To christians, yes, there is a god and heaven and hell (awesome band \m/ ). To athiests, no there is no god at all. I find it funny when others think that their religion is correct and supreme and all the others are bull when they have no evidence to support it XD This is largely related to those damn terrorist atm -.-

basically, If you believe its real why shouldn't it? But to yourself.
Feb 3, 2010 4:26 PM

Apr 2009
oh yeah, i think my mum is slighty christian and my dad listens to metal. black metal and death metal atm lol
Feb 3, 2010 5:04 PM

Aug 2009
AcidBlackCherry said:
Chavez said:
AcidBlackCherry said:
My mom always goes on stupid rants about politics and religion etc and we all always on different pages but she has this lovely way of thinking that I wish she was just kidding about.

-She always tells me that males are terrible disgusting creatures and girls rule the world we just let the guys pretend they do.

-males should be locked in cages and only used for breeding.

-we should torture men for all the terrible they have done through out the years.

-she thinks Hitler killed everyone and tried to take over the world becAuse he is a man and that Hitler was a sign sent from her god to show the world how evil me are

she is an inane feminist and a nut job and I don't Agree to any of that shit

Insane is indeed the right word. Is there any reason for her to act retarded? (traumas, mental instability, etc?)

-she was raped and beat by her dad.
-first husband beat her really bad
-a few other boyfriends beat her pretty bad.

so yeah traumas and she is bipolar 0.o

They say women are subconsciously attracted to men who resemble their fathers, no matter if they beat them or if they were the best dad in the world. i.e. that might be the reason why she had such terrible relationships

My mom has bipolar too :/ and her doctor says its so severe that she may be borderlining on scizophrenia. Like an example would be when the summer before sixth grade and her boyfriend just broke up with her. After that, the voices in her head told her to stop taking her medication, claimed that they were God and the devil who are fighting a religious war, and for God to win, everyone in the family has to stop eating, drink only water, and start preaching His word or something. If it wasn't for going to friends' houses, I'd probably have starved. And her eyes rolled back with her eyelids flicker (like she was in REM sleep) and kept saying He was sending her visions of us dying if we didn't listen to her. Shit's fucked up.

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Feb 3, 2010 5:51 PM

Feb 2010
My girlfriend's mother is a good one for ignorant and completely backwards statements. For example, she's convinced that every single person in honors or advanced placement classes is a genius, completely unaware that those classes require a lot of hardwork and not a single bit of intelligence.

I get good grades but it's not because I'm a genius, it's because I learned how to memorize back in grade school. School isn't about being smart, it's about being able to recite facts.

Unfortunately, most honors kids seem to hold the same belief, too bad most of them (like the majority of any group) are practically braindead. :P
For now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.
Feb 3, 2010 7:57 PM

Aug 2007
AthenianMango said:
My girlfriend's mother is a good one for ignorant and completely backwards statements. For example, she's convinced that every single person in honors or advanced placement classes is a genius, completely unaware that those classes require a lot of hardwork and not a single bit of intelligence.

I get good grades but it's not because I'm a genius, it's because I learned how to memorize back in grade school. School isn't about being smart, it's about being able to recite facts.

Unfortunately, most honors kids seem to hold the same belief, too bad most of them (like the majority of any group) are practically braindead. :P

Then there's the idiotic ones who think that 99% instead of 100% is bad or a B instead of an A is bad.
Feb 6, 2010 3:37 PM
Jan 2010
ladyxzeus said:
HandleMe said:
Both of my parents are difficult to talk to and have made a couple idiotic comments in the past, but my dad is the worse. I remember about a week ago, I decided to write about a homosexual couple for my english creative writing coursework, and my dad didn't agree.. -.-

Dad: "Why are you going to write about gay people?"
Me: " Why not? Homosexual couple's are acceptable and consist of two human beings just like heterosexual couples, and I know everyone esle in my english class will write about a heterosexual couple. Im not going to conform to everyone esle narrow, prejudice demands."
Dad: " Yeah, but all the other people in your class will laugh at you."
Me: "And?"
Dad: "Why can't you just be normal and write about straight people"
Me: "Why are you so homophobia?"
Dad: "Im not homophobia! I just don't think a young girl should write about two men and I wouldn't care if you became a lesbian and got a girlfriend or whatever."

(The bold writing represent my dad's terrible lying)

After that conversation, I left the room and dicide to never inform him of any information regarding my life, because I didn't want his biased criticism.

There was earlier a thread asking why all yaoi fangirls are so weird and awkward to be with. Here's fine example.

IF YOU DN'T WANT TO BE YELLED AT BY YOUR PARENTS DON'T FUCKING TELL THEM. Jesus fuck why is it so hard for kids not to make statements about what they like to people that will obviously be disturbed about it?

/off topic

Picking on the same issue, my mother is funny sometimes - even though she's awkward and a bit dumb:

"oh, those gay books you read... What are they actually about?"
"Adorable love relationships between different people Mother..."
"Love? So it has SEX? May I borrow them?"

She likes Fake.

I understand your point completely, but trust me im not huge yaoi fan. It's actually very rare I'll talk about anything relevant to homosexual, bisexual and even intimacy. I just perceive people that explore their sexuality admirable, and the only reason I told my dad about my idea's for a story orbiting the idea of two men understanding their feelings was to make an impact on him, because I know he is quite homophobia and I wanted him to understand from his own daughter that being a different sexuality apart from heterosexual is acceptable.
Feb 6, 2010 3:57 PM

Apr 2009
My mum has this thought implanted in her brain that each race should date each other and mixed race dating is wrong..
how ironic because most guys I have dated throughout my life have been from different backgrounds etc..

ukonkivi said:
Maora said:
my parents did told me this "all women must wear makeup".

That makes me RAGE.

Maora said:
i hate makeup and alot of girls on MAL do, too.

And I don't think find it all that flattering and attractive on women either.
So not only do many not enjoy wearing it, but a lot of people don't like the way it looks either.
Which is the entire point of make-up. Unless I'm actually somehow completely missing the point of make-up, and then feel free to fill me in on it's non-aesthetic purpose.

This is the right way to think!~
Feb 9, 2010 11:20 AM

Dec 2008
ScrumYummy said:
"Girl's aren't supposed to like sex." ~mi madre

"If I ever see you again, I am going to shoot your head off with a shotgun." ~mi padre

Fucking hell. :(

... I don't remember what he said verbatim, but in my late teens my dad said something along the lines of, "I value [your step mother] more than I value you."

I guess that's not quite the same thing. My mom has dated a couple of guys (married one of them) that have said some mindblowingly ignorant things regarding race and sexual preferences. People can be so disgusting.
Feb 9, 2010 6:23 PM

Feb 2009
Here was one today:

"I honestly hope you don't wish your boobs to be the size of those anime girls. It's just not natural, Emily." - My Mother

She likes to make fun of me for being a geek. Haha.

Feb 10, 2010 1:45 AM

Oct 2008
Dad: Stop breathing!
(That's when I had an asthma attack which dad says it's nothing)
Feb 10, 2010 10:35 AM

Jun 2009
ladyxzeus said:
My father once commited the mistake to tell me "you should get a boyfriend". I almost slapped him, and that's something you don't do your parents. As for the rest, he's quite aware of reality.

Are you not straight? Thats actually a fairly normal thing for parents to say to their kids. Dunno why you'd almost slap your parents over that unless you have some sort of rage problem o.O

Only stories i have are obvious and already been said, my mothers christian and i'm agnostic.
Feb 10, 2010 10:51 AM

Mar 2007
Well i was watching tv with my grandpa he says "what, what is this? Puh sci cho? It sounds like i have watched it before."

He hands me the tv guid points at it and i cay"Grandpa, [/facepalm] it says Psycho. You know the one with Jack Nickelson"

"Oh OHHHhhH, okay lets watch that."

"Allright"

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Feb 10, 2010 12:08 PM

Jan 2008
tizara said:

Apparently "some scientists" believe that the ice age is coming. I am wondering if these are the same scientists that work for oil companies.

ice age is kinda a normal occurrence.. there have been and will be ice ages X_x

anyhow, my parents are +/- normal with the exception of my father who is a nutcake .. tried killing my mother, threatened us, running around during the night and turning off / trashing the electricity box on the street and such..
gramps is the only religious person in our family that i know of (i don't know most of my distant relatives) and he hasn't been going to the church at all, i think.. or talking about gods or w/e. parents are rather anti-religous. and rather anti-russian due to recent history and communist holocaust. can't blame them.

i remember there were religious classes in our school when i was in grade 4 or smth. i wen't to them because they we're telling interesting fairy tales and such and they gave us coloring books :3 . got lectured not to return there.

they're also against homosexuals which is the only bad thing i can think of them.. i think they equal them with child molesters , rapists and such..
ThePuisiitisFeb 10, 2010 12:44 PM

Feb 10, 2010 4:32 PM

Apr 2009
Ranivus said:
Well i was watching tv with my grandpa he says "what, what is this? Puh sci cho? It sounds like i have watched it before."

He hands me the tv guid points at it and i cay"Grandpa, [/facepalm] it says Psycho. You know the one with Jack Nickelson"

"Allright"

Jack Nickelson isn't in psycho.
Feb 10, 2010 7:01 PM
Dec 2008
MOTHER OF FUCKING GOD It's NICHOLSON
Feb 10, 2010 7:20 PM

Feb 2009
futoshi said:
Ranivus said:

"Allright"

Thank GOD someone pointed that out.

Yuruku said:

Win.

Feb 11, 2010 2:47 AM

Apr 2009
Missytalker said:
futoshi said:
Ranivus said:

"Allright"

Thank GOD someone pointed that out.

Yuruku said:

Win.

nippleson.
Feb 11, 2010 8:02 PM

Apr 2009
Yuruku said:

who gives a shit
Feb 11, 2010 9:31 PM

Jun 2009
My dad once told me that I should obey the LAWS of my country, ironically, he told that just after we were caught beating a red light. I am so... WTF?
Feb 12, 2010 1:46 AM

Dec 2007
brinan said:
ladyxzeus said:
My father once commited the mistake to tell me "you should get a boyfriend". I almost slapped him, and that's something you don't do your parents. As for the rest, he's quite aware of reality.

Are you not straight? Thats actually a fairly normal thing for parents to say to their kids. Dunno why you'd almost slap your parents over that unless you have some sort of rage problem o.O

No, I'm straight. It's just that my parents already know I am not interested in relationships of any kind, so they just tell that stuff to me as provocation.

And yeah, I have a rage problem.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 12, 2010 2:16 AM

Apr 2009
ladyxzeus said:

I have a rage problem.

*poke*
Feb 12, 2010 2:30 AM

Dec 2007
Devilchicken said:
ladyxzeus said:

I have a rage problem.

*poke*

Fuck you
Feb 12, 2010 2:40 AM

Aug 2008
ladyxzeus said:

1. Don't get a boyfriend, get married.
2. Move to his household.
3. Divorce and get half of his stuff.
4. Bribe your parents.
5. ?????
6. Profit.
Feb 12, 2010 3:34 AM
Jul 2018
My mother says really dumb things sometimes but I can't remember any at the moment.

But my sister once asked me if I was a lesbian because I wanted to cosplay a male character.
Feb 12, 2010 4:11 AM

Dec 2007
Esley said:
ladyxzeus said:

1. Don't get a boyfriend, get married.
2. Move to his household.
3. Divorce and get half of his stuff.
4. Bribe your parents.
5. ?????
6. Profit.

Do not reveal my plan, please.

Anyway, in topic, yesterday I had to call my mother to warn her:
I'm getting home at midnight and I'll have to use the kitchen. It may be noisy, so don't get scared. She answered "thanks for warning! I would have tought the niggers had came in!"
Feb 12, 2010 10:53 AM

Aug 2009
No one will marry you if you don't wear makeup
- Late grandmother
Feb 12, 2010 10:54 AM

Jul 2009
"You're 25. Aren't you EVER going to get married??"
~my mother
“It’s not so much that I care about what you’re doing, but the idiotic way you’re doing it.”
Vincent Valentine

Feb 13, 2010 5:40 PM

Dec 2008
madbrilliant said:
~my mother

I always thought it was only cliched fictional moms in movies like High Fidelity that said thoughtless shit like that.
Feb 13, 2010 5:53 PM

Feb 2009
k0k0 said:
No one will marry you if you don't wear makeup
- Late grandmother

Oooh. I've heard that one many times.

Feb 13, 2010 5:56 PM

Feb 2010
"Turn that baby crap off"
Feb 13, 2010 10:16 PM

Jan 2010
this one was so funny

- practice makes perfect
- nobody's perfect
Feb 13, 2010 10:26 PM

Mar 2009
madbrilliant said:
~my mother

Lol. I bet many people get that as well.
Feb 13, 2010 11:17 PM
Feb 2010
"You can't have a boyfriend until you're married." - Dad.
Feb 13, 2010 11:38 PM

Jul 2009
antitype said:
madbrilliant said:
~my mother

I always thought it was only cliched fictional moms in movies like High Fidelity that said thoughtless shit like that.

My mom thought she was terribly old when she got married....at 24. So I must be ancient!
“It’s not so much that I care about what you’re doing, but the idiotic way you’re doing it.”
Vincent Valentine

Feb 14, 2010 2:05 AM

Jul 2009
madbrilliant said:
antitype said:
madbrilliant said:
~my mother

My mom thought she was terribly old when she got married....at 24. So I must be ancient!

my dad: "You're engaged and 19? How horrible it is the worst idea ever blah blah I want you to be happy"

Can't live with my fiance until I marry him [I am Canadian he is American] so :/ it isn't like I just met him either.

People can get married when they want as long as they are ready. If not, divorce isn't the end of the world.