Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 20, 2016 10:34 AM

Mar 2015
First of all, I've been a HUGE OPM fan since the first chapter. I was immedately hooked. Though, the more the manga is progressing (I'm currently up-to-date with the manga, and at chapter 88 of the web comic) the more I find myself disappointed with the turn of events. Some problems with it, IMHO:

- Way too many fucking characters. That's the biggest issue I have with how the story is progressing. How am I supposed to feel something for a guy who appears in only one chapter?

- The story is starting to take itself too seriously. At least, the parody and comedy have toned down A LOT, which I regret.

- Not enough Saitama. Similar to my point about having too many characters. I'm finding myself bored more and more when the story focuses on some lower-ranked hero...

- The writing is getting really repetitive. Ok, the 'Heroes get their ass kicked until Saitama appears' is inherently bound to be repetitive but at least add some new twists to it... I've also found many characters to be rather poorly-written (e.g. : Garou. The reason why he decided to become a hero hunter was barely coherent...)

I still look forward to new chapters being released with great anticipation because OPM is one of my very fav manga but yeah I think that overall the quality has been droppingl.

Do you guys feel the same, or are you pleased by the way the manga has been heading to?

Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Aug 20, 2016 12:17 PM

Mar 2016
Saitama is still very much the main character, and at this point there are no new heroes, just ones that appeared a few times in a previous chapter.
Latest webcomic chapter also teases much more to come

Also what kind of phrase is "I soak my cookies in your tears"
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 20, 2016 12:25 PM

Mar 2015
FullyErect said:
Saitama is still very much the main character, and at this point there are no new heroes, just ones that appeared a few times in a previous chapter.
Latest webcomic chapter also teases much more to come

Also what kind of phrase is "I soak my cookies in your tears"

French rap/American Dad reference.

OT: You're right, there are no new heroes. But that's not the issue (to me obviously). My issue is that the story focuses too much on the already-existing heroes. I'm so bored when I have to endure a full chapter of Pri Pri Prisoner talking. Plus now there have been the monster association introduced, so.
Aug 23, 2016 4:36 AM

Mar 2015
it's not that they focusing too much character... it's just the release schedule is soo bootlegged.. it make the battle feel longer than it looked... (at very least, this is not as bad as koi to uso, which forcing weekly schedule that make the pace very horrible) but kinda agree it has showing too long point of view each character... it's getting tiresome...
RedaJaNai said:
- The story is starting to take itself too seriously. At least, the parody and comedy have toned down A LOT, which I regret.
this series never mean to be parody in the first place, just taking poke in popular trope and that's all... i don't know how people saying this is a parody series... but kinda agreed in comedy, but at least web manga still strongly comical than serious.. it showing sign being serious in upcoming arc thou (hero civil wars arc)... but shafting atmosphere between comical and serious tone is what make it great...

RedaJaNai said:
- Not enough Saitama. Similar to my point about having too many characters. I'm finding myself bored more and more when the story focuses on some lower-ranked hero...

SAITAMA never be main point in the first place... it's more about side hero character conflict and struggle, when saitama totaly disconected with all of them and him self also feel so and see them as outsider with his own though and how he without realized it affected to them...

RedaJaNai said:
- The writing is getting really repetitive. Ok, the 'Heroes get their ass kicked until Saitama appears' is inherently bound to be repetitive but at least add some new twists to it... I've also found many characters to be rather poorly-written (e.g. : Garou. The reason why he decided to become a hero hunter was barely coherent...)

if you focus on saitama, of course it will become repetitive, since saitama itself bored with his life and that's the whole point of this series... try open your view to side character too... it will have big effect in future arc and become more and more intensive...
as for confusing garou motivation, re read webtoon, it explain garou motivation pretty clear... (i don't remember murata version explain it yet)

RedaJaNai said:
Do you guys feel the same, or are you pleased by the way the manga has been heading to?

i am pretty much okay with onepunch man currently... just hope both one and murata fixing their bad release schedule, especially murata since i can't expect much from one...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 23, 2016 10:10 AM

Jul 2016
The Murata version, yes. The ONE version, no.

What frustrates me about the Murata version is not so much that there are there is too much focus on other characters (as long as they're interesting and fun, that's fine with me), or that its tone is too serious, but that it lacks focus compared to the webcomic. In the webcomic, the Garou Arc and the Monster Association Arc naturally flow into one another, form one coherent story that really delves into certain characters. But in the manga, the flow is completely disrupted by filler and fan service. A tournament could have been fun, sure (although it has been pretty unimpressive so far), but not in the middle of an arc! And seeing Fubuki fight some SM-monster probably appeals to a certain segment of the fan base, but ... it's not for me.

The ONE version, on the other hand, is much more compressed. It usually only focuses on characters that are important for the progression of the story it's telling, not because fans want to see more of that character, and it doesn't lose track because of a filler side story. If anything, I actually think it's been getting better. Sure, it's not as fresh as it once was, and it can sometimes feel repetitive, but I like that other characters are developed (Garou, Fubuki, King, Tatsumaki, etc), and the more serious tone doesn't bother me. There's still more than enough humor, and the stories it's telling (Garou, the Fubuki-Tatsumaki dynamic, the hero association conflict) are much more interesting than the earlier ones.

So I think the webcomic is still doing fine. But when the manga deviates from the ONE version it's kind of a mixed bag. I'm sure it'll get better when the story gets going again, but seeing one third of a fight of a side character in a side story every two weeks just isn't much.
Aug 23, 2016 12:10 PM

Mar 2015
Kuma said:
it's not that they focusing too much character... it's just the release schedule is soo bootlegged.. it make the battle feel longer than it looked... (at very least, this is not as bad as koi to uso, which forcing weekly schedule that make the pace very horrible) but kinda agree it has showing too long point of view each character... it's getting tiresome...
RedaJaNai said:
this series never mean to be parody in the first place, just taking poke in popular trope and that's all... i don't know how people saying this is a parody series... but kinda agreed in comedy, but at least web manga still strongly comical than serious.. it showing sign being serious in upcoming arc thou (hero civil wars arc)... but shafting atmosphere between comical and serious tone is what make it great...

RedaJaNai said:

SAITAMA never be main point in the first place... it's more about side hero character conflict and struggle, when saitama totaly disconected with all of them and him self also feel so and see them as outsider with his own though and how he without realized it affected to them...

RedaJaNai said:

if you focus on saitama, of course it will become repetitive, since saitama itself bored with his life and that's the whole point of this series... try open your view to side character too... it will have big effect in future arc and become more and more intensive...
as for confusing garou motivation, re read webtoon, it explain garou motivation pretty clear... (i don't remember murata version explain it yet)

RedaJaNai said:

i am pretty much okay with onepunch man currently... just hope both one and murata fixing their bad release schedule, especially murata since i can't expect much from one...

Well you make some good points. Maybe it's me who have wrong expectations... liek I expected the story to focus way way more on Saitama and to remain funny. Don't get me wrong, it is funny, I just think it has become a tad too serious lately (talking about the ONE version).
Aug 23, 2016 12:13 PM

Mar 2015
Animosh91 said:
The Murata version, yes. The ONE version, no.

What frustrates me about the Murata version is not so much that there are there is too much focus on other characters (as long as they're interesting and fun, that's fine with me), or that its tone is too serious, but that it lacks focus compared to the webcomic. In the webcomic, the Garou Arc and the Monster Association Arc naturally flow into one another, form one coherent story that really delves into certain characters. But in the manga, the flow is completely disrupted by filler and fan service. A tournament could have been fun, sure (although it has been pretty unimpressive so far), but not in the middle of an arc! And seeing Fubuki fight some SM-monster probably appeals to a certain segment of the fan base, but ... it's not for me.

The ONE version, on the other hand, is much more compressed. It usually only focuses on characters that are important for the progression of the story it's telling, not because fans want to see more of that character, and it doesn't lose track because of a filler side story. If anything, I actually think it's been getting better. Sure, it's not as fresh as it once was, and it can sometimes feel repetitive, but I like that other characters are developed (Garou, Fubuki, King, Tatsumaki, etc), and the more serious tone doesn't bother me. There's still more than enough humor, and the stories it's telling (Garou, the Fubuki-Tatsumaki dynamic, the hero association conflict) are much more interesting than the earlier ones.

So I think the webcomic is still doing fine. But when the manga deviates from the ONE version it's kind of a mixed bag. I'm sure it'll get better when the story gets going again, but seeing one third of a fight of a side character in a side story every two weeks just isn't much.

I agree in that I actually don't mind if the story focuses on other characters, AS LONG AS THEY'RE INTERESTING. The Tournament stuff looked pretty cool at first. Then we had to endure 'some guy' vs 'some other guy' fights, again and again...

Since my first post I've read the ONE version and am now up-to-date. I agree that the Tatsumaki-Fubuki dynamic was pretty interesting.
Aug 23, 2016 12:44 PM

Jan 2011
As someone just got into it....I find it becoming more serious will work out in the long run.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Aug 28, 2016 8:59 AM

Sep 2013
It's always been a bit serious and the slow updates are what makes it feel weak.
ONE is writing this so he's adding and changing things.
Aug 29, 2016 3:42 AM

Dec 2015
Manga is just coming out very slowly, annoying to wait 5+ chapters only for Saitama to deck someone in 1 frame.
~
Aug 29, 2016 6:31 AM

Mar 2015
Touka__Kirishima said:
Manga is just coming out very slowly, annoying to wait 5+ chapters only for Saitama to deck someone in 1 frame.

100% agreed. At least Murata has toned down the trolling a bit and has stopped releasing 5-page chapters lately..
Aug 29, 2016 1:46 PM

Jan 2010
I guess I am the only one who doesn't see the quality taking a hit. I actually like the tournament with what I know about the Garou and Monster association arcs I think that Murata and ONE have done an amazing job of seeting them up. Now we actually get a better understanding of the Monster Association we didn't get int he ONE version. The part with Tatsumaki and Fubuki in the most recent chapter will help to setup their story in the arc following the monster association arc. There is a lot more set up to help us understand things in the Murata version where in the ONE version it just goes.

Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Aug 31, 2016 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
What did you expect it's 10 pages every 2 weeks. Seriously this was the shit now it's just shit
Aug 31, 2016 1:24 PM

Sep 2009
Which one? The original webcomic? That stuff isn't really fit for human eyes.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 2, 2016 4:07 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Well, I haven't noticed any writing problems, but the inconsistent and slow updates is annoying as hell, not to mention the fact that we only get a couple of pages in each chapter, and that's why the plot progression seems slow as hell :/
Sep 2, 2016 4:08 PM

Apr 2011
The manga was never good, you're just realizing it now.
Sep 6, 2016 4:51 AM

Jan 2015
Yes, I agree with you. It's getting boring.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your girl

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 18

21 by TheHonouredOne12 »»
Apr 20, 10:49 AM

Poll: » One Punch-Man Chapter 247 Discussion

deg - Feb 21

24 by Komlan_6 »»
Apr 18, 10:38 AM

Poll: » One Punch-Man Chapter 246 Discussion

deg - Feb 7

17 by Komlan_6 »»
Apr 18, 10:34 AM

Poll: » One Punch-Man Chapter 245 Discussion

deg - Jan 24

26 by Komlan_6 »»
Apr 18, 10:26 AM

Poll: » One Punch-Man Chapter 244 Discussion

deg - Dec 27, 2023

16 by Komlan_6 »»
Apr 18, 10:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.