Forum Settings
Forums

Why is the "Old stuff is ALWAYS better" attitude common in the anime community?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 11, 2016 11:49 AM

Apr 2015
Because some people simply prefer the art and directing style used in the 90's/80's.
Aug 11, 2016 12:28 PM

Dec 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
TheArchangels said:
This happens in everything. When people look back, they're not only influenced by nostalgia but also by factors such as status and their own memory or lack of actual knowledge of the time period. Some of the great older anime have received classic status like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Akira, etc. and this makes people think of them in a better light. The second factor is the fact that we often only remember the good from a time period. We look back to the a years like 98-99 and act like Bebop and Trigun are the only things that ever happened. We totally look over all the garbage anime that aired during the time period also.

I personally don't find older anime any better than what's going on now. Sure you have Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion, Akira, etc. but I think modern gems like FMAB, HxH2011, Steins;Gate, the Monogatari series, etc. are just as good if not better in some cases.

Another important aspect, I think, is that we see the effect of these anime now. Sometimes seeing how an anime influenced more modern stuff, noticing the anime is the origins of something affects our enjoyment of it.

Of course, assuming the old anime still presents its ideas in a unique way and doesn't simply get outdated.

That's another great point, influence definitely raises people's opinion of the quality of the base product.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Aug 11, 2016 12:42 PM

Jan 2013
Zapredon said:
nachum00 said:
repeats everything i say then says its against the rules to do so. Cute.

A taste of your own medicine. Either way,doesn't matter anymore since the mod already take an action on you.
Dayum, you actually got triggered?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 11, 2016 12:45 PM
Apr 2014
Cabron said:
Zapredon said:

A taste of your own medicine. Either way,doesn't matter anymore since the mod already take an action on you.
It's funny he mentioned that because it's actually against the rules to announce that you reported someone.
Aug 11, 2016 12:56 PM

Jan 2012
Gholy said:
Cabron said:
It's funny he mentioned that because it's actually against the rules to announce that you reported someone.
Honestly I find the whole situation funny.
Aug 11, 2016 6:42 PM

Aug 2008
Gholy said:
Cabron said:

Uhh..no. One of the moderator actually edit nachum00 post previously so you can tell right away the moderator took action.When someone else last edit the post are not the from the original poster, you know right away the moderator taking action. This kind of thing can be publicly known.

-EDIT-
It seems like nachum00 edit his post when the previous mod edit it so you can't see it now.

-EDIT-
NVM. Looks like mode take action again.

Cabron said:
Zapredon said:

More like he got triggered because I said old anime are not better.

Comic_Sans said:
I always see anime fans talking about these mystical creatures known as "people who only like old anime" and yet I almost never see them, despite the fact that there are hundreds and hundreds of people who talk about them all the time

Where can I find these mystical creatures, say?

I remember last time waifu strangle create a lot of thread about how old anime is better.
ZapredonAug 11, 2016 7:46 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 11, 2016 7:08 PM

Mar 2014
Zapredon said:
I remember last time waifu strangle create a lot of thread about how old anime is better.
Wow, one person!

Where are the rest of these 2098903 mystical creatures?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 11, 2016 7:31 PM

Dec 2011
I can't help but feel like on average the greatest shows of old were made with just a bit more integrity, dedication and innovation. Perhaps it actually is that I'm just wearing rose colored glasses, and there are other reasons that can skew one's perspective as well. But everyone has a right to an opinion, and the fact is as great as modern anime can be I see very few that match up to the absolute greatest of the 70s-90s. But I'm only talking about the very top tier of anime here, like LOTGH and such.

In any case I don't dismiss modern anime at all, I give each series a fair chance. And its hard to argue that there aren't modern anime which are every bit as distinctly wonderful and unique as older ones. Hyouge Mono comes to mind when thinking of one thats even post 2010 and certainly the 2000s have a few masterpieces as well.

I will say though that 90s rap is superior and always will be, and classic heavy metal, black metal and death metal from the formative periods are superior to modern versions and always will be. Its just the way it goes with music. The golden ages of a particular music genre tend to be a particularly potent period of time for that genre which will always stick out above the rest. I don't think that's such a bad thing.

So each medium and genre seems to have its own rules to go by. I mean look at mecha anime for instance, how many knowledgeable people are actually going to argue against the fact that the modern state of the genre is rather pathetic and barren compared to the rich formative period of the genre? Also manime basically doesn't even really exist anymore. So is it so hard to understand why people to prefer these things are living in the past?
LayedBackAug 11, 2016 7:51 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2016 7:47 PM

Jan 2013
Comic_Sans said:
Zapredon said:
Wow, one person!

Just like those mystical anime elitists.

Aug 11, 2016 7:53 PM

Jan 2015
I wish ALL anime had the same style as Parasyte, Grave of the Fireflies, Colorful and ect. I'm startingto hate moe.
Aug 11, 2016 8:27 PM

Aug 2008
Cabron said:
Comic_Sans said:
Wow, one person!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=35120&q=elitist
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 11, 2016 8:30 PM

Jan 2013
Zapredon said:
Cabron said:

Most if not all that have joined, have done it ironically.
Maybe ironically is the wrong word, more like for fun.
I have yet to see them take it seriously.
CabronAug 11, 2016 8:35 PM

Aug 11, 2016 8:34 PM

Aug 2008
Cabron said:
Zapredon said:

Isn't that contradict with your previous statement? Previously you make it sound like those mystical anime elitists don't exist but then now you make it sound that most people been elitist themselves? Please correct if I interpret you wrongly here.

ZapredonAug 11, 2016 8:46 PM

Aug 11, 2016 8:38 PM

Feb 2015
I have no fucking idea and it needs to stop...
Aug 11, 2016 8:57 PM

Jan 2013
Zapredon said:
Cabron said:

Isn't that contradict with your previous statement? Previously you make it sound like those mystical anime elitists don't exist but then now you make it sound that most people been elitist themselves? Please correct if I interpret you wrongly here.

I think you did.
What I meant to say is that the ones who claim to be one just do it out of fun, not to be taken seriously. Sure there are SOME who are the real deal, but there aren't as many as a lot of folks like to claim. They make up a really really small percentage, practically nonexistent.
There use to be a banner in that club that said something like "This club is just for fun" or something like that. Strange that it got removed or I just can't see it...

Aug 11, 2016 9:21 PM

Aug 2008
Cabron said:
Zapredon said:

I think you did.
What I meant to say is that the ones who claim to be one just do it out of fun, not to be taken seriously. Sure there are SOME who are the real deal, but there aren't as many as a lot of folks like to claim. They make up a really really small percentage, practically nonexistent.
There use to be a banner in that club that said something like "This club is just for fun" or something like that. Strange that it got removed or I just can't see it...

Probably because you only joined since 2013 so you don't seen that many people willing to admit they are elitist or they decided to say it's joke since elitist bashing become more common for the past few years.Back in my days(jeez,I sound like an old man), elitism is not uncommon. It's true that they are in minority but no way they are practically nonexistent. This blog from April 2008 talk about elitism. Elitism can be trace back even before I join MAL. You join when elitism bashing is becoming common.

http://www.concretebadger.net/?p=3995

Aug 11, 2016 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
Zapredon said:
Cabron said:
I think you did.

Probably because you only joined since 2013 so you don't seen that many people willing to admit they are elitist or they decided to say it's joke since elitist bashing become more common for the past few years.Back in my days(jeez,I sound like an old man), elitism is not uncommon. It's true that they are in minority but no way they are practically nonexistent. This blog from April 2008 talk about elitism. Elitism can be trace back even before I join MAL. You join when elitism bashing is becoming common.

http://www.concretebadger.net/?p=3995
I'm sure it was different before I joined, won't deny that. But from the other places that I was in before I joined MAL, they were a really small minority, which is why I said practically nonexistent. Or maybe I was just being ignorant/blind about all these elitists running around back in the day? Who knows...
CabronAug 11, 2016 9:46 PM

Aug 12, 2016 1:24 AM

Feb 2016
to prevent the old stuff that has not been forgotten by newer anime fans
Aug 12, 2016 1:42 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know. Clearly in the 90s there was less moe fanservice shit, but there are many good anime back then and recently as well. And some old anime are Eldritch abominations, so I don't think old anime is always better.
Aug 12, 2016 2:17 AM
May 2016
With what i saw until now there very few animes good. Older anime is having the whole pack while the new are simply missing a lot either story either char design and many other things that become non acceptable in terms of Enjoy.

Example is this year i didn't enjoy almost not a single anime. Bad story/ bad design on every character especially MC.... And as i watched the autumn release animes...i think they are making anime for monkeys... Nothing individual worth to make us enjoying what would be OK to watch.

Older anime like i have already writting has the whole pack. Unique storyline , Amazing character development , and simply without much bla bla bla... they are better.

Sorry but new animes are for me quite the crap and not worth investing time watching them.

This is my opinion ofcourse...
Aug 12, 2016 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Pretty much what I wrote. Should have read the thread. Seriously. Exactly how I feel. I as a classics fan, am expected, and I do, watch newer stuff. Cause if I didn't, I would have literally nobody to talk to. If I showed up to a convention, I would not know who anyone was dressed as, I would not be able to talk to anyone about anything. Nearly nobody watches the classics. And since I am now going to watch an even more underappreciated thing- classic shoujo. Yeah I can just forget about talking to anyone about Candy Candy or Lady Georgie or Ashita no Nadja, any of the other anime about orphans that came out all in a row... XD I mean if nobody I know IRL has seen Rose of Versailles... just imagine... watching something nobody on MAL watches to the point of no reviews. Gosh if I cosplayed Creamy Mami... nobody would know who that was... :( I am sure you don't even know. And yet the genres she is from are super popular.

Yeah... seriously... everyone dumps the classics for the new waifu.

Though, you should cosplay as Lady Oscar. Even if most people won't recognize you, you'll be badass and sexy, so who cares?

And I feel you; the more the time passes, the more I'm into old-school shōjo (and I'm also trying gekiga, which is worse), and I feel quite alone too.

And like others said, I don't really understand that topic.
The sub-forum I'm reading the more is the recommendation one, and I see a lot of people refusing to watch/read old stuffs (usually pre-00s, but sometime it's even pre-10s >.>).
While when you ask specifically for old stuffs, you got next to nothing fitting the timespan asked. I won't complain since the recommendations I got seem pretty good (and the one I already read is pretty good), but it's frustrating, somehow.
Aug 12, 2016 4:04 AM

May 2015
TheArchangels said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Another important aspect, I think, is that we see the effect of these anime now. Sometimes seeing how an anime influenced more modern stuff, noticing the anime is the origins of something affects our enjoyment of it.

Of course, assuming the old anime still presents its ideas in a unique way and doesn't simply get outdated.

That's another great point, influence definitely raises people's opinion of the quality of the base product.

There's a difference between understanding how something was influential, and something still feeling influential.

I find that a lot of classic is dull. I can see how it influenced musicians, but it doesn't offer anything to me. It doesn't inspire and it's not as unique as what followed.

Some old stuff gets better with time - we see how others took inspiration with it, but couldn't capture its unique aspects.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 12, 2016 5:51 AM

May 2016
The whole "you only think this way because of nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses" has got to be one of the more disingenuous and retarded arguments.

The timescale for anime makes it so that it's theoretically possible for someone to have grown up watching 80s anime as a kid, but I can't imagine taking anyone who comes up to me and says I like classical composers only because of nostalgia seriously.
Aug 12, 2016 8:34 PM
Jul 2015
Old stuff=BIGGER PLOT
Modern stuff=Not the PLOT you will think will be the BIGGEST
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2016 8:52 PM

Jul 2009
As said in many earier posts, this sort of attitude is prevalent in any media format. I mean, you'll find alot of people who think that 80's rock music is the greatest thing on earth. Same goes with earlier television series and movies. I wouldn't even say it's due to nostalgia - more like distinct taste.

Personally, I've enjoyed anime from every period. I'd say every season since anime's inception has its bad share of apples.
Aug 15, 2016 1:11 PM

Jun 2011
lady_freyja said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Pretty much what I wrote. Should have read the thread. Seriously. Exactly how I feel. I as a classics fan, am expected, and I do, watch newer stuff. Cause if I didn't, I would have literally nobody to talk to. If I showed up to a convention, I would not know who anyone was dressed as, I would not be able to talk to anyone about anything. Nearly nobody watches the classics. And since I am now going to watch an even more underappreciated thing- classic shoujo. Yeah I can just forget about talking to anyone about Candy Candy or Lady Georgie or Ashita no Nadja, any of the other anime about orphans that came out all in a row... XD I mean if nobody I know IRL has seen Rose of Versailles... just imagine... watching something nobody on MAL watches to the point of no reviews. Gosh if I cosplayed Creamy Mami... nobody would know who that was... :( I am sure you don't even know. And yet the genres she is from are super popular.

Yeah... seriously... everyone dumps the classics for the new waifu.

Though, you should cosplay as Lady Oscar. Even if most people won't recognize you, you'll be badass and sexy, so who cares?

And I feel you; the more the time passes, the more I'm into old-school shōjo (and I'm also trying gekiga, which is worse), and I feel quite alone too.

And like others said, I don't really understand that topic.
The sub-forum I'm reading the more is the recommendation one, and I see a lot of people refusing to watch/read old stuffs (usually pre-00s, but sometime it's even pre-10s >.>).
While when you ask specifically for old stuffs, you got next to nothing fitting the timespan asked. I won't complain since the recommendations I got seem pretty good (and the one I already read is pretty good), but it's frustrating, somehow.

I am currently trying to lose weight so I can be her. Lost 40 pounds so far. Need to lose about 3 more inches on my waist. No longer really caring about weight just my waistline.
I also want to cosplay Daicon Bunny and Subaru from Tokyo Babylon.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 15, 2016 1:21 PM

Nov 2008
The quality of animation took a nosedive right around the time of FLCL. I was shocked by how cheap the animation looked when I tried to rewatch it. Too much of it is done quickly on computers now.

I just got done watching Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro again. They don't make anime that charming and fun anymore.

Aug 15, 2016 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
Ezekiel said:
The quality of animation took a nosedive right around the time of FLCL. I was shocked by how cheap the animation looked when I tried to rewatch it. Too much of it is done quickly on computers now.

I just got done watching Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro again. They don't make anime that charming and fun anymore.
Mind showing where there's moments of cheap animation?

Aug 15, 2016 1:43 PM

Nov 2008
Cabron said:
Ezekiel said:

It was the beginning, on the bridge and in the school mostly. The Blu-ray transfer brought out the simplicity of it. I stopped about halfway into the first episode or after the first episode. It was over a year ago. Hard to remember. Shows that followed would look far worse, though.
EzekielAug 15, 2016 1:50 PM

Aug 15, 2016 1:43 PM

Jul 2015
People always think that the old stuff is better than the newer stuff, like old movies, TV shows or music. It might be because of nostalgia. There are a lot of good older series that people should watch though, a lot of them.
Aug 15, 2016 1:53 PM

Jan 2013
Ezekiel said:
Cabron said:
It was the beginning, on the bridge and in the school mostly. The Blu-ray transfer brought out the simplicity of it. I stopped about halfway into the first episode. Shows that followed would look far worse, though.
Hmm, I'd say that's more on the fault of the Blu-ray, terrible upscale. Since it was meant for the 4:3 format.
Qtec didn't do a great job, or I just have bad eyesight...

Aug 15, 2016 1:55 PM

Nov 2008
Cabron said:
Ezekiel said:
It was the beginning, on the bridge and in the school mostly. The Blu-ray transfer brought out the simplicity of it. I stopped about halfway into the first episode. Shows that followed would look far worse, though.
Hmm, I'd say that's more on the fault of the Blu-ray, terrible upscale. Since it was meant for the 4:3 format. Qtec didn't do a great job, or I just have bad eyesight...
The Blu-ray transfer was 4:3, I believe. I don't know why a lot of people consider HD synonymous with widescreen. I watch old movies in HD 4:3 all the time.

Aug 15, 2016 2:02 PM

Jan 2013
Ezekiel said:
Cabron said:
Hmm, I'd say that's more on the fault of the Blu-ray, terrible upscale. Since it was meant for the 4:3 format. Qtec didn't do a great job, or I just have bad eyesight...
The Blu-ray transfer was 4:3, I believe. I don't know why a lot of people consider HD synonymous with widescreen. I watch old movies in HD 4:3 all the time.
My bad, I was thinking more in line with when some people try to stretch the image, when they don't like the black bars or try to watch it on widescreen format.
I forgot to add that FLCL was originally made with 480p in mind, but Qtec decided to botch it by upscaling it to 1080p. Episode 3 getting the worst treatment.

Aug 15, 2016 3:30 PM

May 2015
CheekyKunt said:
As said in many earier posts, this sort of attitude is prevalent in any media format. I mean, you'll find alot of people who think that 80's rock music is the greatest thing on earth. Same goes with earlier television series and movies. I wouldn't even say it's due to nostalgia - more like distinct taste.

Personally, I've enjoyed anime from every period. I'd say every season since anime's inception has its bad share of apples.

I think it has a lot to do with image. Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" is lyrically no different than your average 'up in the club' Rap song, but it has LedZep's earned prestige attached to it.
Aug 15, 2016 4:19 PM

Nov 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
CheekyKunt said:

I think it has a lot to do with image. Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" is lyrically no different than your average 'up in the club' Rap song, but it has LedZep's earned prestige attached to it.
Led Zeppelin is famous for their sound. The lyrics are a part of it, but it's the sound more than anything. Comparing it to rap lyrics misses the point.

I have to question the person who listens to music specifically for the lyrics. Just read poetry.
EzekielAug 15, 2016 4:29 PM

Aug 15, 2016 7:07 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Is it? You would've done well to throw in some stats in your rant. Anyway, nice blog post.
Aug 15, 2016 11:17 PM

May 2015
Ezekiel said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Led Zeppelin is famous for their sound. The lyrics are a part of it, but it's the sound more than anything. Comparing it to rap lyrics misses the point.

I have to question the person who listens to music specifically for the lyrics. Just read poetry.

If a band came out with "Lemon Song" today, it'd be considered just as shallow as whatever 50 Cent puts out.

The point is that sometimes people attach to old stuff because old stuff already built an image of prestige and acclaim around itself.
Aug 16, 2016 1:48 AM

Nov 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Ezekiel said:

If a band came out with "Lemon Song" today, it'd be considered just as shallow as whatever 50 Cent puts out.

The point is that sometimes people attach to old stuff because old stuff already built an image of prestige and acclaim around itself.
Lemon Song and Black Dog aren't among my favorite Zeppelin songs. You can't say with certainty how their music would be received today. You'll never know. Of course it's not gonna have the same impact after forty years of rock music. I believe they'd still be popular and liked, though. They made good music.
EzekielAug 16, 2016 1:55 AM

Aug 16, 2016 1:55 AM

Dec 2015
In anime i love new stuff but I have to make exception to Jigoku Shoujo (hell girl) and Kuroshitsuji (black butler). They are old but really good
Aug 16, 2016 3:24 AM

May 2016
Ezekiel said:
Lyrics are still really important though.
Aug 16, 2016 3:45 AM

Jul 2015
@TheBrainintheJar Nobody praises Led Zeppelin for their lyrics... :x
Aug 16, 2016 2:15 PM

May 2015
Ezekiel said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Lemon Song and Black Dog aren't among my favorite Zeppelin songs. You can't say with certainty how their music would be received today. You'll never know. Of course it's not gonna have the same impact after forty years of rock music. I believe they'd still be popular and liked, though. They made good music.

This isn't about whether LedZep makes good music. It's about how there's more prestige attached to "Black Dog" compared to "Candy Shop", while both are shallow songs about sex. That's thanks to LedZep's old age.
Aug 16, 2016 4:13 PM

Sep 2012
From my personal experiece, most people who tend to say that the old stuff is better are most of the time already bored of the thing itself (in this case anime) or are starting to get bored of it.

I have a friend who keeps telling me how the anime seasons are getting worse and worse and he stopped watching. Then I tell him that he may simply not like anime at all anymore, but he always keeps saying "No, I can't explain it, but..." and I think that's just it. People change over time and if you can't explain why, you simply dislike it, even though you maybe liked it in the past. Maybe those people don't have the time for this hobby anymore as much as they used to have or simply don't want to anymore.

Another reason may be that they kind of grew up with certain things which lets them remember some anime, games, etc. better than they actually were or it was simply part of their childhood so they have a special bond to those things. I mean if I think back 10 years when I used to watch Pokemon when I came back from school it looks so cool in my mind, but when I would actually watch an episode from back then I would realize how bad it actually looked in terms of animation etc, even the story would be as stupid as nowadays.

As for people who think the other way around, I simply think its the technical aspect that old anime just don't look that good as newer ones. I personally also think that way. The story has to be really good so that I watch something old. I don't say older anime are bad, but I personally simply prefer modern ones and that goes for anything, e.g. I prefer modern music over classics and stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DerWuestenfuchs
「Just another weeb living the dream in Japan」
Aug 16, 2016 4:18 PM

Apr 2014
I haven't had the time to read previous posts, so I apologise if I'm being a parrot in this thread, that said: I believe that most modern anime has drifted a lot towards fan service, and that's made a lot of anime seem relatively shallow compared to the more traditional anime which avoided fanservice.
Insert Signature Here.
Aug 16, 2016 4:23 PM

Feb 2016
Honestly, imo it has nothing to do with anime. It's media as a whole. It's a cycle. Older generations don't like the things that are being produced for newer generations, and felt that their legacy media is superior. I saw it for myself a few years ago. I loved majority of the shows I watched on Cartooneteork, Nickelodeon, and Disney. Now I haven't watched any of those channels for a very long time now because I think almost everything that airs on these networks are crap. I think it's all mindless foolishness made for retards. But my mother said the same thing about the shows I enjoyed as a kid.
Aug 16, 2016 9:06 PM

Jun 2009
MrRavagen said:
In anime i love new stuff but I have to make exception to Jigoku Shoujo (hell girl) and Kuroshitsuji (black butler). They are old but really good

Black Butler is not that old. I still view it as a rather recent title.
Aug 16, 2016 9:15 PM

Dec 2015
Hellspawn28 said:
MrRavagen said:

Oh youre right :o When i last checked it was made 2006 but now its 2009

Jigoku Shoujo S1 is made 2005 so thats at least older
Aug 16, 2016 9:20 PM

Nov 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
Ezekiel said:

This isn't about whether LedZep makes good music. It's about how there's more prestige attached to "Black Dog" compared to "Candy Shop", while both are shallow songs about sex. That's thanks to LedZep's old age.
And why has so much music been forgotten in time or received far less recognition while Led Zeppelin lives on strong? They earned it, like many anime classics.

Hellspawn28 said:
MrRavagen said:

Jigoku Shoujo is relatively new too. If those shows are old, I'm ancient. I was gonna say something to him, but I didn't wanna be rude and state the obvious.

Aug 16, 2016 11:27 PM

Jun 2011
Ezekiel said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Dance with the Devil by Immortal technique for something newer in rap that is good.

And for something old school that totally had a huge affect on music and even black culture.

Geto Boys, "Mind Playing Tricks on Me"

I donno. I like my rap songs to be ABOUT something. Kinda like my anime. Unless I am in a don't care badflick mood.
Aug 16, 2016 11:30 PM

Jun 2011
Wuestenfuchs said:
From my personal experiece, most people who tend to say that the old stuff is better are most of the time already bored of the thing itself (in this case anime) or are starting to get bored of it.

I have a friend who keeps telling me how the anime seasons are getting worse and worse and he stopped watching. Then I tell him that he may simply not like anime at all anymore, but he always keeps saying "No, I can't explain it, but..." and I think that's just it. People change over time and if you can't explain why, you simply dislike it, even though you maybe liked it in the past. Maybe those people don't have the time for this hobby anymore as much as they used to have or simply don't want to anymore.

Another reason may be that they kind of grew up with certain things which lets them remember some anime, games, etc. better than they actually were or it was simply part of their childhood so they have a special bond to those things. I mean if I think back 10 years when I used to watch Pokemon when I came back from school it looks so cool in my mind, but when I would actually watch an episode from back then I would realize how bad it actually looked in terms of animation etc, even the story would be as stupid as nowadays.

As for people who think the other way around, I simply think its the technical aspect that old anime just don't look that good as newer ones. I personally also think that way. The story has to be really good so that I watch something old. I don't say older anime are bad, but I personally simply prefer modern ones and that goes for anything, e.g. I prefer modern music over classics and stuff.

There is a huge adjustment period when you watch anime so much and suddenly you become not a teenager. Some people go through it worse than others. It causes a lot of people to leave the fandom for sure. I pushed through it myself.

I think watching horrible stuff... so bad it is good, but also watching some classics I never got around to. Kinda just relearning about myself as an adult you know? I think this period of growing up until now 25 really helped define what i like and what I don't but also... helped me to not compare literally everything to Evangelion. Because if I continued to do that, I would never be happy. For me it is all about drama and story. But the issue is, today's anime seem to focus on being happy. But seriously, there is still plenty to enjoy without my dramu being as intense. I just needed to find myself again. Also fun to just watch a classic all the time now.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 minutes ago

2 by Rhaelynne »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

12 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

16 by billybub »»
28 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

55 by Fischer77 »»
42 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

239 by TitanOfPlasma »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.