Forum Settings
Forums

What are some signs for you that someone might make a good friend?

New
Jul 29, 2016 3:18 PM

Apr 2014
In real life or online. Could be something simple, like seeing they share one of your hobbies or have the same music tastes, or maybe something a bit more complex like their sexual orientation or their political stances. Perhaps it's an instance of their intellectual capabilities? Like you prefer socializing with someone online with proper vocabulary, or in real life with someone with a heightened vernacular?

Discuss.

Oh and if you like memes, there's a chance we can be best buds right off the bat lol.
Jul 29, 2016 3:40 PM

Jan 2015
Respect. You can instantly tell they have strong morals and human decency, they don't hesitate to give, and they don't hesistate to take what they are owed. They are good people, and you can tell that a lot of things they do aren't for any specific reasons of self gain except that it is because what they do is right.
Jul 29, 2016 3:45 PM

Apr 2014
Protaku said:
In real life or online. Could be something simple, like seeing they share one of your hobbies or have the same music tastes, or maybe something a bit more complex like their sexual orientation or their political stances. Perhaps it's an instance of their intellectual capabilities? Like you prefer socializing with someone online with proper vocabulary, or in real life with someone with a heightened vernacular?

Discuss.

Oh and if you like memes, there's a chance we can be best buds right off the bat lol.
when it comes to people i online usually I find common interest or liking the same things and as I get to know them more eventually I might consider meeting up and hanging out. I actually went to LA and visited one of the online friends I've been talking to for three years we had a nice time in Venice Beach . That stuff doesn't happen often but I have met people i thought where worth meeting
Jul 29, 2016 3:49 PM

Jun 2016
If you only seem to ever talk about one topic, then then the friendship probably won't last very long.
Jul 29, 2016 3:54 PM

May 2015
If they share my interests. Honestly, I'm willing to be anyone's friend if they like anime or running.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jul 29, 2016 3:56 PM

Aug 2015
if they can make me laugh and i can make them laugh too, tbh, i think that's really it.
Jul 29, 2016 4:33 PM

Jun 2016
If we share common interest and have mutual respect to each other.
Jul 29, 2016 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
Just things they like in similar...Especially if they love music as much as me.
Or have similar interests like anime.
Jul 29, 2016 5:09 PM

Sep 2014
if they provide me with lots of food and alcohol.

but being will to share intimate stuff about them also helps.
Jul 29, 2016 6:40 PM

Sep 2007
If they put out on the first date...she/he is probably a keeper.

Jul 29, 2016 9:39 PM

May 2011
I used to think having similar interests was enough, but it takes more than that for me now. It's important that this potential friend doesn't have a draining personality or expect too much of me in our friendship. He or she also shouldn't push their own views on me... that really rustles my jimmies. ( ͡° _ʖ ͡°)
Jul 29, 2016 10:18 PM

Jul 2012
You give them your number and they remember you exist the next day.
Jul 29, 2016 10:33 PM

Nov 2015
If he/she can fucking rape my mentality in two minutes. That spark of rivalry, that battle of dominance, that maneuvering of objectives to get ahead the other one - that's what I look for in the best of my friendships. And naturally, I have no friend like that.

In normal cases, if I resonate with the other person, that's enough. I'm the controlling one in my friendships; it doesn't matter what kind of a person the other person is, I can easily mold him/her to fit my tastes. Or if I really desire their friendship, then I'll change myself momentarily.
Jul 29, 2016 10:45 PM

Jun 2015
Irl? I can make friends with most anyone.

I dunno about signs, you just do.
Jul 30, 2016 12:44 AM

Apr 2014
hoopla123 said:
If they are anything like you senpai~

Staaaaaahp ~ A hoopla only comes once in a lifetime too you know.

WillItReachHer said:
If we share common interest and have mutual respect to each other.

That sounds about right. Respect is one of the key components to almost anything involving others.
Jul 30, 2016 12:58 AM

Jun 2016
If they share some personality traits and interests with me then it has a potential of becoming a good friendship.Also a minimal level of mutual respect is essential.
Jul 30, 2016 1:31 AM

Jul 2014
I recently had a friend at school who was book-smart and very humble. I hung out with her for a while and she turned out to have the shittiest personality ever. The reason was because supposedly she was very blunt and wanted to openly express herself BUT at the same time she was also a major ass-kisser.

Point is there is a clear line between being blunt and being rude. Honesty works in most cases, but when you don't like my hairdo and just want to say "you look like a mushroom" straight to my face with an ugly grin, no way I'm gonna stick with your nonsense.

I'd say being humble and down-to-earth is the best characteristic in a (good) friend.
Doctors want to check me
Poke me and dissect me
What do they expect?
Feelings from a wind-up toy?
I don't think so

Jul 30, 2016 6:01 AM

Oct 2010
I suppose someone who seems respectful towards others and well-mannered appeals to me the most. I don't want to be friends with someone who may act forceful with their opinions that differ from my own, nor do I want a friendship with someone who is okay with behaving impolitely. You need to have an open mind to different opinions and some tact.

Having similar interests is important too. It's kind of hard to hold regular conversations with someone you have little to nothing in common with.
Jul 30, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2014
I think what is the best sign of not just a good friend but a good person is being humble. If you go out of your way for them they express greatfulness and don't just write it off or expect you to because of friendship. If you do them a favor they seek to repay you in some way. Friendship isn't about keeping score but it's like every other relationship. There is give and take and if all your doing is giving and the other person just keeps taking then it's going to be one-sided and your going to eventually be resentful and feel used.
I notice a lot of it online. I hate coming across people that seem really nice at first but then they fish for you to buy them things and send them stuff. One girl I was friends with would keep dropping subtle hints about things she wanted like she would constantly bring up that her premium membership to something would be about to and and how she wished some one would gift her one. After a while it got very annoying to listen to and after making it clear I wasn't going to suddenly she didn't seem interested in talking to me any more.
Jul 31, 2016 9:23 AM

Jun 2016
First of all, if they are sincere, kind and careful not to insult anyone in any way. I can't tolerate narow minded and prejudiced people, so if they have respect for different tastes/cultures/hobbies, it is likely that I'd be friends with them.
Age is not importnat, but maturity is, at some point. It also leads me to search for mutual intellectual interests.

I'd be gladly friends with a person who has the capacity to be both funny and serious, and has a certain attitude towards life.
Jul 31, 2016 9:26 AM

Dec 2015
For girls - They hold your hair while you vomit.
For guys - They drag your semi conscious body away from a fight after you get your ass kicked.
Jul 31, 2016 9:46 AM

Apr 2016
Online, shared interests are usually a sign that someone might make a good friend. Also, mutual respect and openness to each other's point of view. This goes for real life too, however, in real life I can also almost sense if you connect with a certain person. Sometimes you just instantly feel comfortable and accepted around someone, which is often a sign they might make a good friend.
Jul 31, 2016 9:47 AM
Oct 2013
I try to get to know that person and see if we have anything in common. If somehow, the conversation gets dull and boring, our friendship won't last very long.
Jul 31, 2016 10:35 AM

Jul 2016
I need to have a certain click with someone. There have been enough people with similar hobbies, morals, and interest that I just couldn't really become friends with no matter how hard we tried.

I'm not too sure how to describe that click, but I guess it would be the ability to talk with each other without it getting awkward, or the conversation dying down too fast? Similar hobbies and interest do help achieve this click, but plenty of my friends have different interests from mine.
Jul 31, 2016 12:20 PM

May 2009
Real life: someone who actually wants to hang out and do something. Someone who actually calls me to see how I am doing.

Online: Someone who talks you more than just constantly the first few days you befriend them and then just stops talking to you but keeps you on their friend anyways.

But honestly, I'm done with online friendships. They're BS at this point.
Aug 1, 2016 12:13 AM

Mar 2012
Here.

1. Picks on you.
2. Beats the shit out of you.
3. Makes you cry like the bitch you are.
4. Rapes you whenever they get a chance.
5. Throws an anchor at you when you need their help.

Edit: Ando's definition of friends. Friends are imaginary illusions created from lonely peoples weak minds in order to satisfy unconventional and unnecessary desires.

@Immune
LueAug 1, 2016 12:17 AM

Yes, I am CD 2.0's overlord.
Aug 1, 2016 12:35 AM

Aug 2015
This might be a really simple answer but a way to tell if someone will be a good friend is if you want to keep talking to them, it's really simple but true.
Aug 1, 2016 2:26 PM

Nov 2014
If they can hold a conversation with you, are warm and friendly and respectful too.
Aug 3, 2016 9:26 AM

Mar 2016
If you feel that you can be honest with them, and that they can be honest with you
Aug 3, 2016 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
If the know exactly where to scratch...
Aug 3, 2016 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know, we should have same interests isn't that it? XD
Plus I made a few friends that way on g+ but now that they're gone, making friends on MAL seems tough
Aug 3, 2016 11:17 AM

Jun 2016
i dont do friends. but people im willing to talk to cant be offended by what i say and also need a dark sense of humor.
Scream!
Aug 3, 2016 2:06 PM

May 2014
If they actually listen to what you have to say and ask you questions about how you're doing, genuinely of course.

Honesty, respect, loyalty, similar interests and morals, etc.
Aug 3, 2016 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
Digging coal together in the deep dark hills of Kentucky.
Aug 3, 2016 5:42 PM

Mar 2012
Tharja said:
If they actually listen to what you have to say and ask you questions about how you're doing, genuinely of course.
Agreed. I'll add that it's a good sign when someone remembers your previous conversations and follows up on them. It shows that they're willing to put in effort, which is important for maintaining friendships.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 3, 2016 5:48 PM

Jun 2013
They feed me and love my weirdoness.
WHAT IS THIS

More topics from this board

» Hottest non Hollywood actor on YouTube?

scarydragon - 2 hours ago

3 by LoveYourEyes »»
37 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

50 by DesuMaiden »»
45 minutes ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

28 by elgatosaika »»
48 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 26

10 by MalchikRepaid »»
48 minutes ago

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them?

barababas - 1 hour ago

6 by elgatosaika »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.