Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2016 12:47 AM

Jun 2016
Uberspyguy said:
An anime doesn't have to adhere to the manga at all if the producers want to take it in a new direction. As someone who reads Berserk this first episode already shows that they are doing things differently than the source material but for all that is unholy can we not relish in the fact that we get to see Guts kill shit again?

I am on this wagon too. Following the manga, but I don't mind relatively minor changes in the anime as long as it preserves the spirit of it all, which I thought it did. The grimness, grit, and most importantly, very large amounts of gore thanks to our friendly Black Swordsman. The animation isn't the best and the style will take some getting used to, but I won't diss it just because it's not what I grew up seeing. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Jul 2, 2016 12:52 AM
Oct 2013
I would say that it was interesting and i will continue to watch it, but i am kind of pissed off that they skipped a bunch of the story that the manga had, no Fairy Queen arc, no arch Duke of Terror, or even skull knight.
The Cgi is kind of a let down, and the anime switching from drawn to cgi is really annoying. Stick with drawn style it looks better. I mean this kind of reminds me of fooly cooly where they switched from one style to the next.
the opening is great, the ending is good.
I would give this a 5.5/10, still have hope for it to continue, but it needs more work to live up to the manga. Also Read the Manga its starting up again.
I want to be the best in the world.
Jul 2, 2016 12:59 AM

Apr 2010
People are overreacting because they expected too much. One look at the staff and you know it wasn't going to be great. I don't think it was terrible, but it really should be a lot better. I'll continue to watch though as it wasn't really bad enough to put me off.

Puck is going to be annoying and not funny though, his VA choice was poor. Guts sounds too soft too.
Jul 2, 2016 1:09 AM
Jan 2015
Once again, incredibly entitled anime fans hot and bothered because something doesn't meet their incredible expectations ITT. Then again, I suppose complaining is half the fun these days.

Artist interpretations!? Fuck off. You have to appease ME! I'M IMPORTANT! GARRBLARRBLARRBLARRGROOOOOOOOOEEEEEE!!!!!!
Jul 2, 2016 1:11 AM
Jul 2018
Its pretty good for PS2 video game cutscene. GJ
Jul 2, 2016 1:18 AM

Oct 2015
Probably I just waiting for the soundtrack to come out.
Jul 2, 2016 1:25 AM
Aug 2015
I might be a minority here... But it feels good to have a Berserk animation back in my life again and I thought it was freaking awesome! My only complaint is that the fighting is too exaggerated with so many still shots and not as fluid with Guts swinging his sword around as the movie fights... but who knows only the first episode... also the blood and guts remix is ridiculously awesome
Jul 2, 2016 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely different to the manga, we'll have to wait and see. The cgi isn't bad, bought more scenes in this than cgi ones in the movies. More stylized.

Anime did a fair job at presenting guts lone determination and at giving Guts a situation to break him down a bit. If this is the summarization of the Black Swordman arc though, with nothing of the like touched upon later, I dunno bout that~
Jul 2, 2016 1:56 AM
Jun 2016
Badass said:
I don't remember Guts vomit in the manga. Why did he vomit when killing a girl? When he already went through many battlefield. I guess he vomits to his own series adaptation xD
He did vomit in the manga. Well after reading forums i started reading Berserk manga, 1st manga i have started to read, so far it is interesting if nothing else, it seems that it does kind of stick to manga but at the same time there are noticeable changes, can't say i like those changes. Overall as i don't care about cgi i like it but manga is better and that's just a fact. Regardless i will watch whole anime but at the same time read my 1st manga.
SkaabaisJul 2, 2016 2:04 AM
Jul 2, 2016 2:04 AM

Jul 2007
Uberspyguy said:
An anime doesn't have to adhere to the manga at all if the producers want to take it in a new direction. As someone who reads Berserk this first episode already shows that they are doing things differently than the source material but for all that is unholy can we not relish in the fact that we get to see Guts kill shit again?

You can do that with upcoming musou game, instead of supporting this crappy wreck
That one at least seems to have proper animation and actual correct skin color for Casca at least.
Jul 2, 2016 2:05 AM

Jan 2009
I tend to like adaptations even if they're shitty. So I'm liking this so far. Just being able to see characters move and talk is enough for me.
But Berserk definitely deserves better. Personally I enjoyed the first episode. But when I went to watch Jojo after this I suddenly felt really blessed that we have good faithful adaptations of series....
Jul 2, 2016 2:08 AM

Jun 2015
Skaabais said:
He did vomit in the manga. Well after reading forums i started reading Berserk manga, 1st manga i have started to read, so far it is interesting if nothing else, it seems that it does kind of stick to manga but at the same time there are noticeable changes, can't say i like those changes. Overall as i don't care about cgi i like it but manga is better and that's just a fact. Regardless i will watch whole anime but at the same time read my 1st manga.

Better stick to the manga. You will see brutal arc that doesn't adapted in the new anime.
Jul 2, 2016 2:15 AM
Jun 2016
Badass said:
Skaabais said:

Better stick to the manga. You will see brutal arc that doesn't adapted in the new anime.
Well started today, already in ch4, can't stop reading it soo yeah xD, will probably finish it within month or even much faster as manga is much more interesting then i could have guessed, it is quite unusual the way you have to read it but already got used to it, i will read while manga and watch anime but yes, even though i only started reading manga i recommend people better go read it, it's fantastic.
Jul 2, 2016 2:16 AM

Jan 2014
People seem to hate too much on the CGI, and it's not even bad. I'm ready for more guts and blood!

I'm not too worried about the studios, GEMBA seems to have been involved with some pretty good series or movies, and as for the other company, just because they haven't put out anything like this before, doesn't mean they can't do it.

I don't know how faithful it is to the manga however, and frankly I don't really care as long as it's entertaining and feels like Berserk, i'm happy.
Jul 2, 2016 2:26 AM

Nov 2011
I didn't really feel comfortable at all with how they mashed so much into one episode.

Isidro popping up off the bat, skipping the Apostle fight, the whole 'ghost story' of the trees and staking your intestine, etc. Then adding their own little things like the soldiers attempting a sneak attack on Guts during that night. It took way too many shortcuts for my liking and unless their plan is to write off the first few chapters to focus on the later few to make it amazing; this adaption is going to stay low.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 2, 2016 2:30 AM
Feb 2014
Fappa said:
Honestly the best thing about this adaptation is the soundtrack, the OP & ED music and at last the 20 seconds of 2D bits we get per episode.

Oh and the guitar riffs are nice.

Everything in the sound department is pretty good, even sound effects are pretty decent. But the animation, composition and pacing are total shit.
Jul 2, 2016 2:47 AM

Jun 2013
Uberspyguy said:
Get ready for a metric ton of people who either hate this show because of:

A.) The CG
B.) Because it doesn't adapt the manga perfectly panel by panel

I think people need to realize that CG is going to become the norm in anime because it's much more efficient in terms of production than traditional 2d hand drawn animation and in terms of an adaptation do people not get the fact that anime and manga are two completely separate entities? They exist in parallel to each other. An anime doesn't have to adhere to the manga at all if the producers want to take it in a new direction. As someone who reads Berserk this first episode already shows that they are doing things differently than the source material but for all that is unholy can we not relish in the fact that we get to see Guts kill shit again?

I would rather get no adaptation at all than for them to do this poorly with a title that deserves so much more. Yeah it's Guts but that means nothing, how about we get Berserk in claymation. We'll still get to see him kill shit right? :^)
Jul 2, 2016 3:08 AM
Jul 2015
why was this allowed to happen.
Jul 2, 2016 3:22 AM

Oct 2013
This shit's irredeemable, it doesn't even have gore
Jul 2, 2016 3:22 AM

Jan 2015
*Berserk anime 2016 to other anime* : "Lads, I just got fucked."
Jul 2, 2016 4:21 AM
Sep 2013
smilewolfy said:
maybe it's because I'm not a manga reader, but this anime didn't feel right to me. It kind of felt rushed and like it was lacking something.
Like it was all just a storyboard put into animation, not really putting any life into any of the scenes. That's just me though, not sure if it's meant to be like that though ._.

That's because it was rushed and lacked content because they decided to mash different arcs together and skip lots of chapters.

Just read the manga. It's not that big and the author is making less than 10 chapters a year since 2008.
Jul 2, 2016 4:44 AM

Jun 2007
The music is "meh" in the way that I don't understand why the preview music is not the opening.

The sudden changes from CGI to drawn content is weird because it clearly shows that the drawn content is literally like in the Manga. Don't get it.

Anyway I am just glad that I get some animated Berserk and not only one Chapter every third solstice.
Jul 2, 2016 4:55 AM
Mar 2015
The things you wish you can unsee but can't....... Just like this anime.... How come one piece, naruto get a nearly perfect manga to anime but berserk cant..... RIP...
Jul 2, 2016 4:57 AM

Jun 2014
Gao481 said:
Valkata said:

What ? Are you insane ? A LOT OF THINGS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. We are skipping like 2-3 arcs. If you say that nothing important has changed than, I don't know what to tell you.
Literally the only thing they did was combine the first two chapters and take out the two apostles that Guts fought. Besides, it'd be repetitive if they adapted the Golden Age Arc for the third time.

It's not about the golden age arc at all. First, Guts DOESN'T have time to be a gourmet cook at night, because he literally can't rest at all. The fire helped a little, but he extinguished it, which is in complete opposite to the manga. Fire is needed for him, to keep the specters at bay. Isidro's character was completely ruined, he looked like a piece of shit. When he was introduced in the manga, he had wits and stole from adults. And Guts' introduction was shit too. He goes into a bar and kicks the shit out of some guys, just because they're in his way. Furthermore those guys DIE in manga in the first few panels in a gruesome way, here he brakes some teeth and we don't even see that. If you think that nothing is changed, you should really re-read the manga. And that tree in the manga he totally obliterated it, here he was almost killed. How can he fight apostles, if he is almost killed by firewood ...
Jul 2, 2016 5:03 AM
Varangian Guard

Mar 2015
Am I the only one who gives no fu*ks about shitty CGI and just enjoy Berserk's badassery?
Jul 2, 2016 5:03 AM

Nov 2012
Does this anime have censor? I thought it did but I'm not so sure.

Really is a shame that CG is the least of this adaption problems. Really the makers of this don't understand anything. How is it even possible to fuck up this bad. Really sucks to see this happen Berserk deserves so much better. Why can't people even accomplice nowadays what they did in the year 1997 just fine. Worse of all with this adaption the hope of a better adaption from another studio is almost certainly not gonna happen in the coming 20 years. People are right to be pissed about this imo.
johnyjohnyJul 2, 2016 5:07 AM
Jul 2, 2016 5:25 AM

Apr 2014
dat CGI and sword sfx/10

Jul 2, 2016 5:29 AM
Jan 2016
The Animation... they managed to make skeletons look even more dead then they already where. It made me cringe so hard....
Jul 2, 2016 5:30 AM
Jan 2016
I was so hyped about the series // expecting it will be like the 3 movies that got out, that I didn't dislike from the visual perspective // but this one was so badly mad // all the textures, felt wrong and the movements weren't fluid enough // they butchered the passing of the story right off the bat... I don't know what to hope for in the next episode to save the potential it could have -.-

Praying very hard!!!!
Jul 2, 2016 5:43 AM

Jul 2009
johnyjohny said:
Does this anime have censor? I thought it did but I'm not so sure.

Yes, in the Casca rape flashback the screen is almost entirely blacked out. But i'm not surprised since it's still TV even though it might be airing late.
Jul 2, 2016 6:29 AM

Sep 2012
some awkward cgi and direction. i kind of enjoyed it, guts is as cool as ever
Jul 2, 2016 6:33 AM
Apr 2016
Dont listen to the whole garbage-talk, and just decide for yourself. I think it was fine. Sure, I'm no fan of the CGI, but after those three movies I'm used to it. And it was just an adaptation from the manga, so I'm not sure what the people expected here..
I think most of the complains come from unrealistic expectations.. if you like the manga better, after watching the anime, then just continue reading the manga, there's no need to watch an anime against your will. As for me, I'll just keep doing both, I liked the combat, and I liked the soundtrack, although the animations, especially in the pub scene, looked a little clumsy.
Overal, I would give this a 7, it's okay, expected a little better, but wasn't really let down, either.
Jul 2, 2016 6:38 AM

Jul 2011
Guts is still a merciless badass.
"It is the emptiness that make the stars bright."

"If you've known pain and hardship, it is easier to be kind to others."
Jul 2, 2016 6:48 AM

Jun 2013
Oh shit, the CGI is really irking me. I think I got a migraine from staring at the screen. I know it's 2016 but not every single thing need to be CGI-fied. Jesus Christ.

Also, Puck has no genitals. Did he always get fat like this:
in the manga or did the staff think it would make him look cuter and try to appeal to a wider audience by making him plump up randomly?

I like the OP and ED song. Also, the voice actors. Other than those, everything else was shockingly bad.
臭い-
Jul 2, 2016 6:49 AM

Mar 2014
Wow, I'm definitely not a fan of the CGI but I think this is pretty harshly rated. Sure, the characters look terrible but it still has a similar feel to the original. Puck is oddly adorable considering the tone of the anime.
Jul 2, 2016 6:59 AM
Feb 2014
Bibimbapski said:
Oh shit, the CGI is really irking me. I think I got a migraine from staring at the screen. I know it's 2016 but not every single thing need to be CGI-fied. Jesus Christ.

in the manga or did the staff think it would make him look cuter and try to appeal to a wider audience by making him plump up randomly?

I like the OP and ED song. Also, the voice actors. Other than those, everything else was shockingly bad.

Yeah, Puck "plumping up" like that is in the manga. It's used for comedic effect, or to make him look cute. It works well in the manga. Dunno how I feel about it here, though...
Jul 2, 2016 7:01 AM
Jul 2016
Sad.....very sad...... -,-
In carnage I bloom - like a flower in the dawn!
Jul 2, 2016 7:05 AM
Jul 2015
Arachnophobic said:
Uberspyguy said:

I am on this wagon too. Following the manga, but I don't mind relatively minor changes in the anime as long as it preserves the spirit of it all, which I thought it did. The grimness, grit, and most importantly, very large amounts of gore thanks to our friendly Black Swordsman. The animation isn't the best and the style will take some getting used to, but I won't diss it just because it's not what I grew up seeing. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

I honestly think that this first episode was created to introduce people, manga fans and anime only fans; to this new rendition of Berserk. In the preview for the next I can already see much more adherence to the manga than in this episode. Again, I feel the producers, as long as they maintain the core elements of the story; can switch things around and skip chapters to make it fit the format and their interpretation of the story. All the other replies to my comments in this thread seem to just be butthurt fans and the typical "I hate CG" crowd. I'm beginning to think that I'm one of the only Berserk manga fans in the world that actually liked this first episode but hey, to each their own I guess.
Jul 2, 2016 7:07 AM
Oct 2015
Bibimbapski said:

Yes, for comedic purpose, btw this ^ img is edited :^
Jul 2, 2016 7:13 AM

Jun 2015
Well its not pretty is it…

The animation style is sure to be hot topic over the entire run of this series. I find it strangly beautiful and dark at times, but unfortunately for the most part, distracting and incomprehensible.

One could agree that the ugliness fits the tone, but honestly the use of 3d has spilled over to much into the composition and movement of scenes, with far too much virtual camera manipulation, rotation and fast movement. This mostly results in a kind of nauseating unclarity.

The episode reminds me very much of Episode 1 of the first Berserk anime, choosing to skim over story to make room for a chance to introduce folks to Gutts. Unfortunately it really only shows him in one light, beast Gutts effectively. Without shedding any real light on why he is the way he is.The entire episode really is just a big lead up to Dragon slayer being revealed.

One thing that almost all Berserk anime fans will also be discussing is of course the music. Susumu Hirasawa’s original sound track for the 90s berserk anime, was one of the most important facets of the berserk world, every notes of Gatsu theme still for me immediately evokes the sense of magical hopelessness and brutal tragedy. i still listen to the original post when i read the manga. I can’t lie that a part of me wishes that all berserk adaptations would just use this music, but thats not realistic.

So the music was… well confusing. Some interesting intense strings are quickly befuddled by weird guitar riffs , classical piano and then classical guitar. What genre is this sound track meant to be? The very worst thing about the music though is of course…. Title song. I will for sure be skipping that every episode. It is no way sets me up to enter into the world of berserk.

On good thing i have to say about this first episode is that the content was quite grown up, this gives me hope that the coming story will although likely be abridged not be censored , but maybe that wishful thinking.

So as far as where its gonna go from here, i am reserving my judgment as i feel that this first episode is like the first episode of the 90s anime, a kind of attempt to grab new audiences with badass action. Lets see what comes next.
Jul 2, 2016 7:19 AM

Jun 2013
labrax said:
Bibimbapski said:

Yes, for comedic purpose, btw this ^ img is edited :^

Oh that's good to know. He looks like a baozi/meat bun in the manga and a naked troll doll in the Anime.
臭い-
Jul 2, 2016 7:33 AM

Jan 2011
its bad.

i decided to watch it because like, it cant be that bad right? but i was wrong. its so bad, so so so bad. i wish they didnt make an anime but instead ovas? or maybe keep doing movies...? berserk manga is 90% of the time on hiatus so waiting for new ovas/movies to come out wouldnt have been a problem imo... its more i dont see why making a new anime adaptation if then you are gonna do it so crappy... unless the dvds sell a lot this just looks like a huge waste of money.
Jul 2, 2016 7:34 AM

Jun 2013
Schierke, Farnese, Buck, Isidro and Serpico!!! I LOVE TO SEE THESE NEW GUTS NAKAMA ALREADY!!!!

So...We are skipping official Buck introduction Arc and just jumped into arc where we see both Buck and Isidro immediately? don't know if I like where this is going.

Liked from that Beat/Song...God's hand or what it was...Opening was OK...but don't know if it really fit into Darkness of the Berserk...not Censoring that much tough.

And this is really showing it darkness in other ways....That Girl just died...like that...3D is not that good in my opinion. and what happened to Old Man....Horror is quite OK. and Tragedy is real.

and Skipping the Lost Children Arc huh? BOOOOOO!!!!

Ending was OK... Now I give the Start the 7..so I say this is Good...disappointed about lost Children Arc so that lovers the Scale and same with the Other things I have say...but it has potential to rise Better...so 7 for now...rise up maybe later.
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jul 2, 2016 7:59 AM
Aug 2015
What an ugly mess... Odd direction and angles, the CGI is hideous, the music sounds too metal for the medieval setting in a poor attempt to look cool.

The OP is nice though, and most of it isn't CGI, which is what this series shouldn't have been. I'll personally most likely drop it.
Jul 2, 2016 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
I'm more bummed out by the anime skipping over so much of the source material than the animation itself. The CGI is pretty bad though.
Jul 2, 2016 8:06 AM

Feb 2010
oh man, haven't seen the episode yet, but those ratings! Heard they missed out on lots.
Jul 2, 2016 8:33 AM

Mar 2016
Valkata said:
Gao481 said:
Literally the only thing they did was combine the first two chapters and take out the two apostles that Guts fought. Besides, it'd be repetitive if they adapted the Golden Age Arc for the third time.

It's not about the golden age arc at all. First, Guts DOESN'T have time to be a gourmet cook at night, because he literally can't rest at all. The fire helped a little, but he extinguished it, which is in complete opposite to the manga. Fire is needed for him, to keep the specters at bay. Isidro's character was completely ruined, he looked like a piece of shit. When he was introduced in the manga, he had wits and stole from adults. And Guts' introduction was shit too. He goes into a bar and kicks the shit out of some guys, just because they're in his way. Furthermore those guys DIE in manga in the first few panels in a gruesome way, here he brakes some teeth and we don't even see that. If you think that nothing is changed, you should really re-read the manga. And that tree in the manga he totally obliterated it, here he was almost killed. How can he fight apostles, if he is almost killed by firewood ...
So that basically amounts to a few nitpicks here and there that have no overall impact, and here I thought you were going to elaborate on the "We are skipping like 2-3 arcs" part.
I'm not trying to say that it hasn't been a bad anime so far, but it hasn't become a bad adaptation just yet
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jul 2, 2016 8:51 AM

Mar 2015
I agree with those saying that the butchering of the story is an even bigger concern than the visuals.

They introduced almost every character, who will play an important part storywise, already. I mean - come on - they even teased Schierke already who appears - let me guess - 40 chapters later in the manga?

Well, will watch it anyway. I still have a slight hope to see Yoda-Puck animated :D
Jul 2, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2013
126 people voted 5/5 facepalm...
This is like giving the people an anime that shows background scenes for 20 mins and they would still rate it 5/5
Jul 2, 2016 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
Kudo said:
126 people voted 5/5 facepalm...
This is like giving the people an anime that shows background scenes for 20 mins and they would still rate it 5/5

20% of all voters gave it a 10/10 on MAL. It's pretty clear by now that a lot of people liked it, they're just afraid to say anything, since the hate train is out in full force.
Pages (20) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

182 by Dractune »»
May 12, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.