Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jun 6, 2016 12:05 AM

Feb 2016

Thanks, actually Kanon (the anime in my signature) is one of those anime that people usually say has terrible animation, but I love it anyway for the story.

Really? Kanon has some of the most beautiful animation I've seen. The snow scenes? Those shades of grey and blue with the amazing scenery in the background? Maybe it's just me but KyoAni did amazing animating Kanon 06, at least in it's best moments.

I agree the scenery is gorgeous. The issue most people have is with the faces of the characters, which I've grown to like, but some people will drop a Key anime because of the way the characters are drawn.
Jun 6, 2016 12:30 AM

Jan 2014
MadScientess said:

Thanks, actually Kanon (the anime in my signature) is one of those anime that people usually say has terrible animation, but I love it anyway for the story.

Really? Kanon has some of the most beautiful animation I've seen. The snow scenes? Those shades of grey and blue with the amazing scenery in the background? Maybe it's just me but KyoAni did amazing animating Kanon 06, at least in it's best moments.

I agree the scenery is gorgeous. The issue most people have is with the faces of the characters, which I've grown to like, but some people will drop a Key anime because of the way the characters are drawn.

Ahh I see. That's a preference thing I guess. I agree that the Key characters tend to look much younger than their ages (Big eyes moe thing) but while I'm not a super moe fan I wouldn't of wanted the characters from Kanon looking any other way (As well as Key's other works). It's just about presentation, they make it work beautifully and despite their appearances the characters feel alive, ya get a connection to them ya know?
Problems that cannot be solved do not exist in this world.

Jun 6, 2016 12:52 AM

Nov 2011
Story. The animation can be complete ass, but if it tells a compelling story, I'm in.
Jun 6, 2016 12:57 AM

Apr 2014
watching some old studio ghibil shows me that i still care more for the story than visuals.

though having nice animation is just a benefit.
Jun 6, 2016 1:08 AM

Nov 2009
Jou-dan said:
a lot of people seem to have a preference for one or the other

on the one hand, you get people who rate highly for story and characters, even if the direction and animation isn't that good

on the other, you get people who rate highly for great animation, stylish visuals and stuff like that

which do you prefer and why?

It's really mean of you to include only visuals and story in this poll. And to include characters with the "story" category.
I'm voting "visuals" just to annoy you, you elitist pig.
Jun 6, 2016 2:09 AM
Apr 2016
Although visuals add to the enjoyment and initial attractiveness of a show, if the story is bad it leaves a lot to be desired. For example, if you meet someone pretty, but they have a terrible personality, you won't want to be around them after getting to know them. If you meet someone not as pretty, but they have a great personality, you'll want to get to know them, and I think it's the same with anime.
Jun 6, 2016 2:17 AM

Dec 2015
Story for me, i mean if the story is good, then you don't care about visuals that much right? Am not saying visuals should be bad, but everything revolves around story and good characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 6, 2016 3:26 AM
May 2016
Actually... Are we really able to separate the 2?
Story is most important to me, but telling the story can make or break the plot (for this reason, I don't like spoilers).
Some plots can be really simple, but the method of telling, screenplay/pacing/skill of animator will surely get the better of my weekends.
Still, I have a higher tolerance for lousy visuals than lousy story.
Cheers!
Jun 6, 2016 6:21 AM

May 2015
Asturis said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Both manga and anime rely a lot on visuals. Why does it matter less to you in manga?

Because in manga i can ignore / mostly ignore the drawing and focus on the dialog ~

How so? I find the drawings in manga all over the place, overpowering the dialogue. There are panels without dialogue too.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 6, 2016 6:28 AM

Mar 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Asturis said:

Because in manga i can ignore / mostly ignore the drawing and focus on the dialog ~

How so? I find the drawings in manga all over the place, overpowering the dialogue. There are panels without dialogue too.

what do you mean by how so ? i just skip / scroll past the page if it didn't have dialogue or an important scene
Jun 6, 2016 6:31 AM

Feb 2013
i like le story
but also must have le visuals
look at me le special snowflake and my hot fresh opinion

one of the worst threads ever imo
Jun 6, 2016 6:33 AM

Aug 2013
How one enjoys a pretty looking shitty story is beyond my comprehension...
Jun 6, 2016 7:30 AM

Nov 2015
By far the easiest question to answer; Story..
Not all anime aim to look fucking amazing and anyone who drops animu just because they don't look top notch is missing out on some really good anime..
Jun 6, 2016 8:15 AM

Sep 2015
Story of course, as for the animation, I can just 'get used to it'
Jun 6, 2016 8:57 AM

Oct 2015
romagia said:
i like le story
but also must have le visuals
look at me le special snowflake and my hot fresh opinion

one of the worst threads ever imo

I'm surprised it hasn't been locked considering it's a thinly-veiled x vs y thread.

That said, I would still rather have this thread than the flood of genre-hate threads we get pretty much every day.
Jun 6, 2016 1:01 PM

Jun 2015
I care more about the story because I can always adapt to the bad visuals, not the bad story.

Jun 6, 2016 1:42 PM

Jul 2015
I prefer both visuals and a good story, you need the stories for the series to be interesting but the visual part of anime separates anime from just regular cartoons, also, good artwork just makes anime seem more adult unlike kids cartoons, you need good anime visuals to tell more sophisticated stories too.
Jun 6, 2016 3:10 PM

Nov 2013
Story is more important to me. Bad visuals with a good story I would still watch. Good visuals with a bad story I wouldn't watch. Horrible visuals and a good story I might not watch. Horrible story with good visuals I wouldn't watch.

So basically if you get to get extra focus on something, I'd prefer story and story telling. If you're going to have to cut on something, I'd prefer visuals to get cut.

Also I don't watch anime because of the art. I watch anime because I like the content of the shows. I have for example never seen anything like Clannad/Non Non Biyori/Aria in western media.
Jun 6, 2016 3:22 PM

Feb 2014
Story!! Whatever form of entertainment, be it Anime/Manga/Movies/Television Shows/Theatre etc must have a good story.

I would not watch an anime with the BEST animation with no meaningful story. That's just a waste of such high quality animation.

IMO, what makes an anime great is it's story.

As quoted by Hisashi Sasaki from Bakuman - <b> A manga only needs to be interesting. </b>
Jun 6, 2016 3:28 PM

Jul 2015
If I was to balance the two, it would be 25% visuals and 75% story. Both are entirely subjective though, I've heard people say that Ping Pong the Animation looks really bad, but I like it. Same goes for The Tatami Galaxy, that show is pretty as fuck at times.
Jun 6, 2016 4:38 PM

Mar 2016
It obviously depends on the type of anime. I don't give a damn about story in a hentai. Generally though, I look more at the art first then I stick around for the story. Guilty Crown's one show with gorgeous art and a really disappointing story. Even so, I could tolerate it due to its visuals. On the other hand, One Piece might have a great story but I personally detest its art and that's enough to keep me away.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 6, 2016 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
The story is much more important. Take a sh*tty anime like Infinite Stratos for example. The visuals are great, but I found watching an episode of Dora the Explorer to be more entertaining than an episode of IS. The only reason for watching it is for the "plot" and even then I couldn't watch it.
Jun 6, 2016 5:34 PM

Aug 2015
If a show is not an adaptation from a certain source material (manga, novel, light novel, etc.) , I will be focusing on the visuals or the actions of the characters in that show onscreen more than what are these characters are saying or flashy animation. After all, the story is already told elsewhere before being translated into a TV show/film/OVA (depending on the circumstances on the reasons these shows are adapted as such). Not that the story is not as important as visuals, as almost every single show adapted from a source material happened to have the latter being popular after all. Otherwise, I would go for the story when it comes to the original anime adaptation, because I initially do not have the idea about the story of that anime to begin with.

Jun 6, 2016 8:38 PM

May 2015
Halicone said:
I care about the visual experience. A well directed series or movie that uses the tools unique to the medium in interesting and unconventional ways is worth a lot to me and can excuse a rather weak plot. For example, I remember enjoying Ranpo Kitan for it's aesthetic even though I disliked the characters and found the story mediocre at best.
The opposite can be true as well. A well written series can be enjoyable even if it was made on a tight budget.
Of course the best is when a show delivers on both accounts.

Well I agree with this guy, in a general sense(not anime), and I'm sure most would..

And honestly speaking, I think an amazing story with horrible visuals would still stand out to me in some way, and it's hard to believe the opposite isn't true.

It's easy to make the argument that anime depend on it's visuals alot more than movies though, so perhaps not perfect to compare them. But if it's really good, you won't forget.

flannan said:

It's really mean of you to include only visuals and story in this poll. And to include characters with the "story" category.
I'm voting "visuals" just to annoy you, you elitist pig.

Hm yeah I think it's somewhat fair to separate them, personally my love for "Monster"' appeal is more really on the characters than the story(which is also great admittedly), much less the visuals.

Even though I didn't finish the anime adaption... :P

"Pacing" also goes along with "story" I assume?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRaUmobJe9w
ashfrliebertJun 6, 2016 8:48 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 8, 2016 6:08 AM

Mar 2015
Story comes first. Good art is just an extra to an already good story.

Theres also visual story telling, self explanatory.
Jun 8, 2016 7:18 AM

Jun 2010
Story. Art is important and can be a real pleasure to see, but ultimately it's the plot that keeps you reading/watching.
Jul 2, 2016 8:49 AM

Feb 2016
I prefer story above anything else.
Jul 2, 2016 8:54 AM

Sep 2015
Definitely story. If the story is crappy with good visuals I find it hard to watch just because of the good visuals. If the story is good enough and entertaining then the visuals don't matter too much so I wouldn't care if they're bad.
Jul 2, 2016 9:01 AM

Dec 2015
The visuals are the first thing that attract me when it comes to Anime!!
Even if the Anime is shitty af,but with an amazing visuals I'll most probably complete it.
To complete/enjoy an Anime, it must either have good visuals or a good plot so both are necessarily important
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

60 by Pinoffin »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

29 by Hitagi__Furude »»
5 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

7 by Piromysl »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 5 hours ago

13 by cyandaqil »»
14 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 16 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.