Forum Settings
Forums

How important are "looks" in a relationship?

New
Do you have to be physically attracted to date someone?
Yes, of course.
57.3%
No, it matters more whats on the inside
20.0%
Some other response (post to explain)
22.7%
110 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 24, 2010 10:15 PM

Oct 2009
I like staring at hot guys, but if they treat me wrongly, then there's no point in dating them. As long as the guy knows me well, and he treats me right, there's not really a reason to not go out with him. But then again, if he stinks, dresses terribly, and looks hideous.. As bad as it may sound, I might give it a second though.

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Jan 25, 2010 5:24 PM

Dec 2009
I give importance to personality... that doesn't mean I don't watch the phisical aspect, but honestly I tend to phisically like a lot of girls, so there would be no point in trying to approach someone depending only on phisical aspect; stupid guys who just want to take a female being to a public bathroom do that...
Jan 25, 2010 6:50 PM

Jan 2010
i would say sort of

there were situations when i wasnt physically attracted to a person
but wen i got to kno them, i got more and more physically attracted to them.

but if u wanted a black and white answer, id say yes.
Feb 5, 2010 5:51 AM

Sep 2008
if you fell in love because they are physically attractive, then what happens when they grow old and go white and wrinkly? They'll toss you around once they find someone looking better.

If someone fell in love with you for who you are and for how and whatever you look, then, that person has a chance of loving you forever. Because no matter how many times you change, they'll just accept it, and then you'll never have to pretend.

for me, attractive people are just eye candy. They are good to feast upon while it lasts.
Live the life that you love, Love the life that you live...
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. - The Buddha
Feb 5, 2010 6:15 AM

Jul 2009
it doesn't matter ......not at all ..alot of ppl you fall in love with them or you liking them even if they had bad looking,and to me it doesn't matter
Feb 10, 2010 7:23 PM

Jul 2008
I'm not going to say they don't matter at all cause that's not waht I think but they should not be #1 in the list
I think good looks is a plus specially when you are mad at the person because you start to think about whether if the relationship is really worthy and having good looks as a plus wouldn't be bad ;)
Feb 10, 2010 11:23 PM

Apr 2008
I think looks are very important, but then again, I'm probably quite shallow.
If I was ugly then I probably not care about looks as much.
I guess I have pretty high standards, though.

BUT, if it's just look and a horrible personality, then that's a no as well.
There really needs to be a balance.
Feb 11, 2010 10:28 AM

Jul 2009
I think personality is the most important. If there a really big difference in personality between the couple. I think it will be really hard to maintain that relationship.
But like swoodles said
swoodles said:
personality is def important, but honestly, i probably wouldn't learn enough about their personality if i didn't find their looks attractive enough.

I think looks certainly play some part in relationship especially in the beginning.
Feb 11, 2010 10:40 AM

Nov 2009
I think initially looks matter to me but I have fallen for people after I got to know them when at first glance I thought they were ugly. The opposite has happen too...I call those people eye candy
Feb 11, 2010 8:27 PM

Jun 2009
why do people always say "you can't hide what's inside?"
I disagree. I can hide what's inside, quite well in fact. I'd have had my ass kicked many, many more times in High School if I wasn't able to. But all the stuff on the outside you actually CAN'T hide (by any conventional means). Seems backwards.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Feb 11, 2010 8:49 PM

May 2008
If there is any sexuality to a relationship, looks are important.
Because if you didn't place any importance on looks, you'd be either bisexual or asexual.
Or, you know, stereotyping people based upon looks.

I've totally already said this like a thousand times before.
Well anyway that makes it more than just a beginning.

I mean for a friendship it's not important.
But again if the relationship has to do with your sexuality, like lover-dating stuff. It's pretty important.
Otherwise I think you can try dating a person that is the opposite of your sexuality, for the personality.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 12, 2010 10:57 AM

Jul 2009
Looks are important...to an extent. Because a 'relationship' generally equals more than just sex, what's more important is how you get along. Do you get each other? That should be taken into way more consideration!
“It’s not so much that I care about what you’re doing, but the idiotic way you’re doing it.”
Vincent Valentine

Feb 20, 2010 8:34 AM

Jan 2010
No, it matters more whats on the inside
If you think looks are important you must have a bad heart
Sig deleted for being too large.
Feb 20, 2010 3:31 PM

Jun 2009
It's ture that personality should be more important than looks if you want to have a long lasting relationship. But at looks definatly play a large part in who we choose to date after all it the phyical attraction that make us want to be with that person in the first place, and their personality that makes us want to stay with them(or dump them ).
Feb 26, 2010 8:05 AM

Sep 2009
I dont have to be physically attracted
I have to be chemically attracted
Feb 27, 2010 10:58 AM

Feb 2010
dude ill be honest (sory if this fourm dead or already done)
but to me it seems you dont like her enough to date her if you liked her you woulnt say she looks bad at all or in the middle or as you said:"looks."She is not an ugly girl by any means, but not overly attractive to me" if you liked her mate you woulnt say she "looks" bad or not really good or anything you would only care about wats inside and your time with her.
for everything else you should date her i just think its wrong for someone to say about the girl/boy there dateing even behind there back that they aint good looking in one way or another its sorta like your worried what everyone will think of you if you dated her
just my thought tho mate
Feb 27, 2010 11:19 AM
Feb 2010
It matters to be attracted to each other.
But that shouldn't dominate the relationship.
Feb 27, 2010 11:41 AM

Jan 2009
Looks are not as important as we think, if we like the person first because of who they are then we'll slowly find ourselves more attractive to them. My brother, who is good looking (I callously admit) but his girlfriend looks like she feel off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, If you'll pardon my expression. They started out as friends and he really liked her, and actually was nervous he'd be rejected at first. Now they're screwing around, and I fail to realize why he hasn't been blinded yet. I'll stop discussing my brother as an example and switch to myself to help this point now. I'm not too attracted. I'm overweight. Granted I'm not that bad, but bad enough for any girl that randomly glances at me to think that she'd rather be looking at someone much better. I have had the pleasure of having a girlfriend in life, thank fucking God. But we started out disliking each other. We'd be feuding over weird things. I didn't see her for a year, and we crossed paths again, that began to change. We had things in common and started respecting and liking each others personalities. This girl was hot and she actually went out with me. We actually hit it off for a couple of months before going separate paths. I haven't had a girl since, but there is this one girl I'm going nuts over. Oh, and I didn't notice her until I got to know her as a person, and she's incredible. I thought sharing this would be helpful in some way, but it might be a little indulgent, me talking about my love life, and my brothers. I'm just trying to prove my point which I believe, but I don't how interesting I've been here to actually do it. Oh well, It's just an extra bit of info.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

Feb 27, 2010 2:40 PM

May 2008
Owwwww, that was so mean.

Also, there are chub fans out there. Looks are important to chub fans. Otherwise they wouldn't be chub fans. They would just be people fans and into anything that moves.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 27, 2010 2:57 PM

Nov 2007
As much as I'd like to say looks aren't important, there is no way a romantic relationship will work out if you don't at least see yourself being able to kiss them without getting grossed out. As far as finding someone who I want to start a relationship with, my rule of thumb is go for the personality after I've screened out people who I will never be physically attracted to, no matter how good their personality is. I'm not saying that they have to be gorgeous or even attractive, I'm just saying that they have to have SOMETHING catches my eye, whether it's pretty eyes, a nice smile, etc.

Considering that you know her wonderful personality and yet you still can't bring yourself to imagine yourself dating her because of her looks, it seems that you won't be able to get past that issue. If you truly loved her in a romantic way, I don't care how plain she is, you'd start finding things that would make her attractive to you in her own way. However, as of right now, you're describing her as you would your best guy friend: awesome to hang out with, but it's not like you're gonna start dating because you have so much in common.
Feb 27, 2010 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
ukonkivi said:
Owwwww, that was so mean.

I guess you're referring to what I was saying. Even if not I think I should further explain myself for the statement I made.

I admit, maybe I spoke too harshly of a business that wasn't my own, but this subject is a rather delicate one. Look at the poll. At least 58% of these people feel to a lesser or greater extent that looks matter, and I was trying to show that that isn't the case by stating extremes to get you to understand my point. My brother's girlfriend is a very great person, and I wouldn't wish for my words to be taken personally. I just think that relationships with people go beyond looks, and that we should stop thinking of ourselves and others as incapable of getting involved with each other for reasons such as looks. There is so much more to people then that, and we could find ourselves involved with anyone. We just need to break free from foolish thoughts concerning expectations of society and what is or isn't beautiful. Each and everyone of us is perfect just how we were made. We're all unique human beings, and we are all beautiful because of that.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

Mar 8, 2010 3:11 PM

Aug 2009
VERY important...my friend once told me that even though people say that whats inside is most important but thats all bs....she told me to ask myself "do you want to wake up to an ugly face next to you??" XD
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.