Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 26, 2017 12:09 PM

Feb 2014
Seems like I dodged a bullet with the (what I hear to be) three-times computer-translated sub that went via Korean dubs (??)

Gainax on 2nd Key Animation... how the mighty have fallen.

Feb 1, 2017 3:11 AM

Mar 2015
So I finally got the time to watch it and oh boy... kinda disappointed. They could've done so much more with the Black Organization, but it falls so flat that it's so unoriginal. So many mysterious potential just turned into full on action FBI stuffs.

Let's see here:

Gin, Vermouth and Vodka are hunting down the lists with only Kir and Bourbon left that was saved by Akai. Then what? Kir is *poof* gone from the story.

Then this Curacao girl is doing the cliche I was hoping they won't fucking do in anime ever. Making a villain becoming a good person by sacrificing themselves because of the kids. Damn, cliche is so bad that makes the whole scene make my eyes rolled. They could've ended it with Gin killing Curacao mistakenly as a NOC.

Also wtf was Kogoro and Ran even did in this one? It's like they need to be forced to join the movie for fan service or something. Ran doing the "SHINICHI WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU" line every SINGLE MOVIE. Kinda get old don't you think?

So badly disappointed. Even the sunflower movie last year was better because they do detective stuffs, making Haibara x Conan scene (lol, this is what I called good fanservice) and obviously Kaito Kid's "villainous" appearance.

Feb 16, 2017 3:20 PM

Feb 2016
If they hadn't tried to fill the movie with almost the entire main cast of the series it would probably have become a better movie storywise. The action scenes were exciting and looked great though.
Feb 21, 2017 9:47 AM

Sep 2010
lol a half-assed happy ending after the heroine got pierced, squished and burned to death.. mental .-.
Mar 19, 2017 7:32 PM
Apr 2012
So it's been a year since release and 5 months since blu-ray release. 21st movie comes out next month. Can a sub group PLEASE pick this up WITH Japanese Audio and know how to use CAPITALS AND PUNCTUATION!

I don't like the Korean audio and I don't like a non-capitalized sub track on the JAPANESE version. Please. Someone provide assistance or at least proofread the previous versions. It's not impossible and would greatly be appreciated. I'd like to have a hint about RUM before the manga properly reveals the character in the next 11 chapters leading up to chapter 1000. It's a milestone that I'd like to celebrate with the 20th anniversary film.
Thanks for reading. :)
Sep 30, 2017 11:11 AM

Sep 2008
I really liked it, maybe the plot isn't the best this franchise can offer, but there is BO, Haibara and Akai. I probably don't need anything more to enjoy a Conan movie. Oh, and the animation was really great so yeah, that's a 8/10 for me ^^
Oct 1, 2017 8:09 PM

May 2008
I found the movie serviceable. There are issues I had, though.

1) How resilient the characters are. I get they have to be alive, but there's no way they're walking away from all that destruction with scratches. There's NO way every single person lived through all of that; people have to be dead. I don't like how the police resolution and the deaths of these NPCs of both situations are just glossed over.

2) The lack of explanation of Curaçao's ability/condition. I was pretty interested in the idea and after all the exposition the characters delivered, I was expecting the same for her, but again... just glossed over. :S Feels like a cheap way to use amnesia again.

3) How did Akai know where Amuro and Kir were?

4) The ending. I get what they were going for, but it was weak. Felt like they ran out of time rather than a "leave it for the viewer to answer"-type of ending.

5) Genta.

6) Vermouth felt like a waste? I love me some Vermouth, but I don't see why she, specifically, needed to be there. Probably because they didn't have another BO member to use, lol.

7) Shoehorning Ran. I swear they are contractually obligated to have her and her wondering about Shinichi in every movie and it's completely annoying. She serves no purpose. Why send her the pic? Doesn't Conan have Takagi's number like Mitsuhiko? If she just appeared with the children and left with Sonoko without the whole "find Shinichi" nonsense, more time would have been freed to make a better ending. Kogoro too. All he did was sleep! At least the other characters could say they had some kind of role.

8) Timeframe. This all takes place within, what? 3 days?, and yet the BO could go from across the world to Japan all in time to shoot up a ferris wheel. A biiiit unbelievable there, guys. Too bad the movie couldn't get Gosho to create a few more (canon) BO members for this movie. Then they could have an excuse to have some German in their movie!

I know there wasn't much mystery in this one, but I didn't mind it too much. I could tell they were going for a more faster pace where the "mystery" was more figuring out the situation and how to do deal with the BO. Better to have no mystery than a terrible one. I don't mind Curaçao dying - it was believable. It's not that she turned "good" but rather wanted to live the life she got a taste of when she was with the kids. She even says as much! Even if she got away, there's no way she'd survive without checking into a hospital; might as well go out with a bang. There could have been more done with her character, though, even if it felt similar to Sherry. The action felt like it had a purpose (except Amuro vs Akai's) even if the Amuro vs Curaçao fight was lame. Overall, this movie suffered from wasting time on irrelevant fluff weakening it.

Despite that... I kinda enjoyed it?? Not the best BO movie, but better than movie 13, imo. I like Curaçao a lot better than Irish.
SakariiOct 1, 2017 8:13 PM
Nov 6, 2017 12:18 AM

Dec 2012
She kicking ass.
She had on a wig and contacts.
She sent the message.
Tokyo Drift.
Akai? lol at him in the red car.
Dat shit.
lol at Akai and Furuya's relationship.
Ony.
Amnesia?
lol They just gonna go play with her and not treat her cuts and stuff.
Dumbass Genta.
Ai look shook.
LMAO at Hakase being the one to get treated.
Kuro no soshiki #2?
Dat Engrish.
Dat headshot. +150
Dat Engrish again.
She's pointing the gun at Furuya.
Dumbass Genta almost falling from just sitting.
Ai grabbing Shinichi.
Furuya escaped.
Shuuichi and Furuya meet again.
They're going at it.
She got her memory back. But did he see the pantsu? That is the question.
She lied.
She saved Ai.
Furuya almost died.
She got hit.
Dat kick.
I see those people running away went to the Prometheus school of running away from things.
Oh shit. She got a rod in her.
Holy shit! Dat explosion.
Ai booty.
She died.

And that was the end. It was good. This was the first time I watched Conan since around the early 2000's. The only reason I watched this was due to it releasing 1 week before Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions and it having a similar subtitle to it. I wasn't bothered by how the characters looked until later on in the movie. My goodness. Those kids were annoying as fock. Mostly Genta and the other boy. Best parts were the action scenes and Furuya and Shuuichi. :) I know the ship is Shinichi x Ran, but I started shipping Shinichi x Ai.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 19, 2017 8:44 AM
Nov 2014
I really don't care about the story that much in DC movies because I already know their focus is almost entirely on the action scenes which this movie did a really good job on. It also included akai, amuro, and the organization that alone made this movie worthwhile for me.

8/10
Nov 20, 2017 11:27 AM

Dec 2016
Hmm. Shouldn't Akai be in disguise to avoid endangering Kir?
Jan 2, 2018 2:19 PM

Oct 2009
Curacao... I cri...

Gin must have a bad reputation. When Curacao heard who was coming to collect her, she jumped ship...

(lol if you hear that Gin is coming to collect you, it could be they're going to kill you...)

The cliche of a villain who has a soft spot for kids and so she lies to protect conan and the kids and sacrifices her life in the end. Action was good, enough to cover plot holes by use of anime action logic.

It was a thrilling movie and emotional one for me.

As usual they have Ran and Kogoro appear as bystanders even though they're not related to this plot at all XD and the other things

Still a solid detective movie, an action one is nice every once in a while.

A bittersweet cliche ending that attempts to tie all the loose ends to not interfere with the main story much... I'm still a sucker for things like these...

The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they don't wish to see anyone else suffer the way they did.
Jan 26, 2018 1:20 PM

Jul 2012
Rest in peace. I really liked her.

I don't really love this movie but it was enjoyable overall. The mystery was weak here. I want something as good as movie 5 which had amazing thrills and a good mystery subplot!

vikki_tofu said:
Hmm. Shouldn't Akai be in disguise to avoid endangering Kir?
Yeah, many things confused me about this movie. It's like a lot of things were forgotten to fit this movie.
Mar 31, 2018 2:22 AM

Aug 2009
I recently watched this movie after it went up on Hulu Jp
I loved it! But...that's because it was filled with fanservice and sadly I am indeed a fangirl.

As long as you keep in mind that it isn't meant to be canon and just some fun for families to enjoy during the springtime, I don't see any reason to hate on this (although each to their own).

I'll probably end up watching this one again and it's got me pretty excited to go and see movie 22 in the cinema on Friday the 13th (๑╹ω╹๑ )
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Aug 19, 2019 6:44 PM

Jul 2016
Idk why people still come to watch Conan movies for the mystery, most of them focus on something else, like: History, Romance, Action, and Thriller.
The starting car scene was AMAZING, holy shit, that OST hyped me a load fuck.
And... Poor Curaçao T.T

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Dec 28, 2019 7:58 AM

Nov 2019
I enjoyed the movie. Seeing these guys work together Amuro-Conan-Akai was pretty exciting.

Detective boys were really annoying. Actually for me, they are always annoying.
Jan 1, 2020 10:16 AM

Aug 2018
Now that's the standard I expect the Detective Conan movies to live upto! I feel this one of the finest movies of this francise. Not only we got a car chase scene and gunfights, but also a hand-to-hand showdown between Akai and Amuro. The plot was easy to follow and wasn't too convoluted.
Overall, an energetic start sitting alone in front of laptop to 2020 with Movie 20! (On a side note, it seems half of the Japanese economy in Conan's world is run by the Suzuki Corporation....)
Feb 10, 2021 11:54 PM
Oct 2018
JFC.. charcter design and art in this are goddam terrible. The adults and minor characters are mostly ok, but the children all look like they have encephalytis. Those giant, mis-shapen heads are super-distracting. And those can-opener noses... I thought we got rid of them in 2003?
Apollo18Feb 11, 2021 12:38 AM
Jul 4, 2022 1:45 AM

Nov 2021
That Akai v Amuro fight scene was epic! and I'm sure it's also something about their quarrel before that initiated the fight and not just about taking the girl.

I wanna know what the issue is between them. no spoiler pls

Lots of actions, and a few mysteries I can't even call it 'few' cuz there was no mystery. Anyway, that was good! It was predictable but it's still fun. We got awesomely animated rad scenes.

Jul 21, 2022 10:27 PM

Jan 2016
Well that was a pretty good movie, but man there were so many plot holes like people previously mentioned. I kinda like this a lot because we didn’t have too many scenes with Ran, Mouri and Sonoko. And Haibara actually did something other than stand there and let Conan or someone else do all the work. Also it’s kinda late to ask this question this far into the plot, but what is the difference between Japanese police and national security police? Why does one have more power?

Sep 7, 2022 8:57 AM
Nov 2013
I'm tired of these god damn kids.

They've become progressively more bratty, spoiled, entitled, and reckless since Haibara became their babysitter.
Dec 31, 2022 3:25 PM
Mar 2022
pretty good movie with the organization
Mar 3, 2023 4:58 PM

Jan 2012
Perhaps moreso than any of the 19 Conan films preceding it, The Darkest Nightmare is not a mystery film. It has little to no mystery aspects aside from Curacao's identity, but even that's a stretch. Instead, this one is an action film through and through. We've had ridiculous action set pieces before, at least one or two is a prerequisite for each film, but the action barely lets up in this one. That it's dominated by the Black Organization helps make it feel more special as well. I remember there was a great deal of hype around this back when it first came out. Watching it now, 7 years later, for the very first time I can't help but find some things quaint. This was Rum's big first appearance. Earlier I said this movie had no big mysteries, but in hindsight I suppose Rum's identity could count as one too. It's just... knowing Rum's identity as I do now makes it feel different compared to how it might have had I watched this back then. Not that there's really any clues given here for that mystery's answer anyway. Also, it's almost certainly been an issue in previous films in the series but boy did I ever notice it here: the horrible cg crowd shots. Somewhere in the mid to late 2010s I feel like more and more anime started using these due to budgetary reasons and boy do they stick out like a sore thumb. They almost never look good and this film is no exception. A few shots of the cg Ferris wheel looked pretty rough as well, though not during the big climax thankfully. 

By far my biggest complaint for this film was the greatly diminished roles for Ran and Kogoro. They both receive by far their smallest amount of screen time of any movie so far. They didn't even try with Kogoro, shamelessly having him sleep the movie off in the car, but Ran's role here felt egregiously bad. A barely shoe-horned in damsel-in-distress moment with no real payoff, unless you count a wordless scene during the credits. This is a problem for me since she's my favorite female character, though I'm hesitant to harp on it too harshly. On the one hand it's just a fact that with more and more characters to juggle around in its ever expanding roster the Conan films have to pick and choose who they use. Sera, a character with a big role in a film not too long ago for instance, isn't even mentioned here. On the other hand, Ran's a main character. You coulda done her better movie. But whatever. The characters that get the most attention by far in this one are fan favorites Amuro and Akai, and the big newbie Curacao. The former two characters are handled well enough. They get some nice action oriented scenes and together with Conan feel like they could have their own action-oriented spinoffs. Hell, I think Amuro did actually get a manga spinoff if I'm not mistaken. As for Curacao...well, honestly I wanted to enjoy her more than I did. Her relationship with the Detective Boys was somewhat endearing, but I could never really get around the walking plot device nature of her character's existence. The end still did manage to get me a bit though, but then I'm a softie...deep down. Anywho, I'm giving this a solid 7/10. By most Conan film standards I'd say that was good enough, but I'm admittedly left feeling a tad bit disappointed by this given the hype surrounding it. Just a bit. It's all about expectations I suppose, ya know?
animefan8800Mar 3, 2023 5:02 PM
Jul 3, 2023 8:39 PM
Jul 2023
Aoyama's movie masterpiece so far
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Akai and Amuro

Sol_Ou - Dec 17, 2019

0 by Sol_Ou »»
Dec 17, 2019 5:50 PM

» Opening 43 Detective Conan movie 20 (pv)

AllenVonStein - May 14, 2016

1 by removed-user »»
Oct 15, 2016 9:43 PM

» PV

Neonzel - Dec 11, 2015

10 by Dragon »»
Apr 30, 2016 7:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.