Forum Settings
Forums

Is there really a need for the *existence* of the 3 episode rule?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 14, 2016 10:23 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Some series cannot even be judged after 3 episodes. Puella Magi Madoka Magica has a change of atmosphere in the end of episode 3, but still you do not know what to expect unless you have watched at least until episode 10.

It depends on the series.
Apr 14, 2016 10:32 PM

Feb 2013
It's basically there so we have a quick, standardized, way of saying "give the show a chance" before you drop it. Why three episodes? First off, anime are shorter then most Live Action shows, so three episodes isn't much more then one "normal" episode. Secondly, it's common for anime to pull their secondary hooks/twists in the third episode. Thirdly, it's enough time to be sure if you hate something or like it. Of course it's not an ironclad rule or anything, it's just convenient.
Apr 14, 2016 10:53 PM

Dec 2013
Oh yeah the 3 ep rule. I'm using the bit modified version of it called "the completing rule" where you simply finish every fucking animu
Apr 14, 2016 10:55 PM

Mar 2014
Cyanwasserstoff said:
Some series cannot even be judged after 3 episodes. Puella Magi Madoka Magica has a change of atmosphere in the end of episode 3, but still you do not know what to expect unless you have watched at least until episode 10.

Madoka Meduca is predictable from the very first scene. I liked the series, a lot, but I don't understand how anybody thinks it's surprising, edgy, disturbing, or any of the other words people use. If a 12 episode series isn't good until episode 10, then it isn't a good series.
Apr 14, 2016 10:59 PM

Feb 2016
In the end, it's really up to the person whether they want to follow that rule or not. I don't.
Apr 14, 2016 11:00 PM

Dec 2015
my rule is don't drop it unless it is kowabon U GOTTA GIT HARDCORE

then there are a few exceptions SO JUST GIT CORE
Apr 15, 2016 12:22 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
merryfistmas said:
Madoka Meduca is predictable from the very first scene. I liked the series, a lot, but I don't understand how anybody thinks it's surprising, edgy, disturbing, or any of the other words people use. If a 12 episode series isn't good until episode 10, then it isn't a good series.

Apr 15, 2016 12:23 AM

Oct 2015
Yes, I was giving shows 3 episodes before I even knew about this rule. I have dropped shows after less than 3 episode before though because I could tell that they would be the type of show that I wouldn't care about.
Apr 15, 2016 12:28 AM

Aug 2015
Is there even such a rule? I think the only rule here on MAL is the 1/5th rule.
Apr 15, 2016 12:29 AM

Dec 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
That rule is stupid, because dropping shows is stupid, kappa...
don't tell me you're that legendary kappa?
Apr 15, 2016 1:12 AM

Jul 2013
No. Shinsekai Yori didn't have the score it has now if it wasn't for people sticking till the end. Just look at where it is now. 3 episodes ain't enough to develop a whole story. Unless of course if we're talking about anime that are episodic by nature such as SoL, then that's a different story.
Apr 15, 2016 1:20 AM

Dec 2012
There is no such rule, it is just one of the many options of picking what you might invest your time in. ANd enjoy it.
Apr 15, 2016 3:27 AM

Apr 2014
thefreeloader said:
Milk_is_Special said:
That rule is stupid, because dropping shows is stupid, kappa...
I am, just scroll through my list,no drops at all.
Apr 15, 2016 3:44 AM

Jan 2014
No need to 3 episode rule, I even drop anime before watching a whole 23 minutes of the 1st episode if character design and voice were annoying. Ex : Nagi no Asukara & Shirobako
Apr 15, 2016 4:02 AM

Oct 2014
Some shows just need more than 1 episode for you to enjoy it. Baccano! is one of them. The first episode is confusing and, for the lack of better word, boring so to drop it based on that is a shame.

Temmie said:
Use 3 episode rule if you're unsure if you will like it or not

If you despise it just by watching the 1st episode honestly don't waste your time

These wise words!
Apr 15, 2016 4:09 AM

Dec 2015
Never followed that rule. Never will :p
Apr 15, 2016 4:36 AM

Dec 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
thefreeloader said:
ok now i'm a fan! ur pics are fantastic, i love the emphasis the butts were given and cat girls are the best!WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!
Apr 15, 2016 5:33 AM

Apr 2014
thefreeloader said:
Milk_is_Special said:
ok now i'm a fan! ur pics are fantastic, i love the emphasis the butts were given and cat girls are the best!WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!
thanks man, I apreciate it a lot :3 :3
Apr 15, 2016 6:02 AM

Jul 2014
If it's not insulting enough to drop on episode 1, I'll give it 3 episodes even if I dislike it because it might get better, and if it doesn't, at least the final rating will count.

HiatusXHiatus said:
if character design and voice were annoying. Ex : Nagi no Asukarao

Low level taste bar reached, Buriki is objectively the best character designer in all of anime.

Though at least in NnA, his usually perfect designs got watered down by a nuisance amateur 2nd character designer.
Red_TuesdayApr 15, 2016 6:06 AM
Apr 15, 2016 8:11 AM

Mar 2014
Cyanwasserstoff said:

Madoka was my first magical girls show, so I probably went into with different expectations (no expectations). I also had no knowledge of any dark twists or anything else, I don't think I even knew what a mahou shoujo was at the time, but its darkness was still predictable because the dream in the opening scene was extremely dark, cubey trying to convince Meduca to become a meguca, and of course the labyrinth scene with Homura in episode 1... Or is it 2? I'm also conditioned to be suspicious at any mention of the word contract, so the jig was up as soon as they said it. I guess people were, like you said, used to the tropes and typical formula and that caused preconceptions.
Apr 15, 2016 8:27 AM

Sep 2015
merryfistmas said:
Cyanwasserstoff said:

Madoka was my first magical girls show, so I probably went into with different expectations (no expectations). I also had no knowledge of any dark twists or anything else, I don't think I even knew what a mahou shoujo was at the time, but its darkness was still predictable because the dream in the opening scene was extremely dark, cubey trying to convince Meduca to become a meguca, and of course the labyrinth scene with Homura in episode 1... Or is it 2? I'm also conditioned to be suspicious at any mention of the word contract, so the jig was up as soon as they said it. I guess people were, like you said, used to the tropes and typical formula and that caused preconceptions.

I think it was definitely a good move to remove the dream sequence / foreshadowing in the first movie of the trilogy. Even though it was more likely watched by those who have already seen the main series, it felt a lot smoother and less jarring to have a random dark scene right off the bat before going back to supposed normalcy.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 15, 2016 8:34 AM

Apr 2015
I could care less about it, since I never drops.
Apr 15, 2016 8:44 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
merryfistmas said:

Yeah, but in most of the magical girl series the animal like being make some kind of contract with the girls. Thats how they get their power and their duty to fight the hostile creatures. They do not speak it out loud, but still you could call it a contract.

Yeah, it was a surprise that Madoka was not that generic magical girl anime series.
Apr 15, 2016 9:06 AM

Aug 2009
Tenshi_Shura said:
No. Shinsekai Yori didn't have the score it has now if it wasn't for people sticking till the end. Just look at where it is now. 3 episodes ain't enough to develop a whole story. Unless of course if we're talking about anime that are episodic by nature such as SoL, then that's a different story.

Man I marathoned that on a 20 hour train ride and didn't enjoy one minute of it. I WISH I followed the 3 episode rule.
no
Apr 15, 2016 9:13 AM

Apr 2015
No. There is no "need" for its existence, and to be frank I'm not quite sure why it exist in the first place. This rule is heavily flawed regarding certain series, I personally don't use it. >_>
Apr 15, 2016 9:20 AM

Jan 2015
RLinksoul said:
Nope. It doesn't matter if you watch 3 episodes, 5 episodes, 12 episodes or the entire series, someone's gonna complain about you not liking it or say that you didn't give it enough of a chance because it "gets good" later.

And if you watched the whole thing and still didn't like it, they'll say "Why did you watch it if you didn't enjoy it?"

This. You're fucked either way.

*character limit filler*

Apr 15, 2016 9:33 AM

Feb 2016
i dont need that rule. because i'll do some research about anime that i want to watch. and i'm enjoying every eps of it
Apr 15, 2016 9:36 AM

Oct 2015
If this is true, I would've given up Gintama entirely based on it's first three episodes. Now that would be a bad decision in life.
Apr 15, 2016 10:40 AM

Jan 2014
Red_Tuesday said:
If it's not insulting enough to drop on episode 1, I'll give it 3 episodes even if I dislike it because it might get better, and if it doesn't, at least the final rating will count.

HiatusXHiatus said:
if character design and voice were annoying. Ex : Nagi no Asukarao

Low level taste bar reached, Buriki is objectively the best character designer in all of anime.

Though at least in NnA, his usually perfect designs got watered down by a nuisance amateur 2nd character designer.
I just dislike that moe type design, who's Buriki anyway?
Apr 15, 2016 10:43 AM

Jan 2016
HiatusXHiatus said:
Red_Tuesday said:

He's referring to the character designer of NagiAsu

http://myanimelist.net/people/11008/Buriki
Apr 15, 2016 10:45 AM

Jan 2016
If I start watching an anime, I will finish it. I never even thought about this rule, lol...

I decide after the first episode, if it's going to be smth very awesome or smth I will like but be a little bored
Apr 15, 2016 10:46 AM
Jul 2015
Before dropping a show, I use to watch between 2 and 6 chapters, depending on how bad it is for me. If I watch more than that, I use to finish them.

Apr 15, 2016 5:33 PM

Jan 2016
Instead of a 3 episode rule, I have a ten minute rule; because despite what my MALgraph achievements say, I do not enjoy pain.
Apr 15, 2016 5:38 PM

Jan 2014
CapitalistGod said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

He's referring to the character designer of NagiAsu

http://myanimelist.net/people/11008/Buriki
I see, thanks CG, now I know that Buriki design is the type that I dislike.

Edit : And the reason to drop anime before episode 3
HiatusXHiatusApr 15, 2016 5:41 PM
Apr 15, 2016 5:57 PM

Nov 2015
Cyanwasserstoff said:

Madoka is a good example, I originally watched up through episode 4, then dropped, because of the overdone tragedy/melodrama. I later picked it back up, and was tempted to drop after they started going gung-ho with the time travel, but upon completion, that part of the plot is given new meaning. I still sometimes can't understand the hype behind the show, but Madoka is a good example of a show that I would say can't be fully appreciated until completion. In my experience, this is kind of rare, Terror in Resonance is another one that comes to mind.
Apr 15, 2016 6:28 PM

Nov 2014
I thought it was a 4 episodes rule because (considering it were a 1-cour anime) it would represent a third part of the series, which is a good point to judge the anime, and with "judge" i mean rating, because generally if i didn't liked the first episode i will just stop watching the series.

It's not necesary at all.
Apr 15, 2016 10:38 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
@roundbeats: You should never try to understand the taste of other persons, because these are as unique as your own taste.

A serious that will be judged with a very high score could be the worst anime ever for yourself.

One thing for sure : Many series need some time to develop their characters, plot and ideas. Therefor it cannot be judged until the main points of the show are introduced.
Apr 16, 2016 12:25 AM

Dec 2015
Yes there is a need for that rule, but only when the anime is only three episodes long. 13 episodes is too short to drop and 24 episodes is too long to get a good impression within three episodes.
Apr 16, 2016 12:37 AM

Nov 2015
Wtf? There's such thing as a three episode rule? I've never even heard of that. That's stupid.
Apr 16, 2016 1:59 AM

Aug 2014
its simple... 3 strikes and your out.. the 3episode rule has being there since ancient times

Apr 16, 2016 9:35 AM

Nov 2015
Cyanwasserstoff said:
@roundbeats: You should never try to understand the taste of other persons, because these are as unique as your own taste.

A serious that will be judged with a very high score could be the worst anime ever for yourself.

I agree that people have different tastes, but there is value in trying to understand the opinions of others- if a series is notable for one reason or another, you can get at why that is if you put in the time.
Apr 16, 2016 12:02 PM

Apr 2012
3 episode rule was "invented" mostly for ppl with a limited time frame to sort out the not so important/interesting tv series.
"Do i watch now 5 seasons / 100 episodes, or not?" so ppl said "when after 3 episodes i am not hooked, i drop it."

Its not anime exclusive.. TV Seriesjunkies doing it since yeeeeeeears.

NiQue_Apr 16, 2016 12:07 PM
Apr 16, 2016 12:48 PM

May 2010
I've never ever used it, so its existance doesn't matter for me, that's for sure.
Apr 16, 2016 12:48 PM

Mar 2015
NoobStomper said:
There is no point to the 3 episode rule, garbage shows tend to be garbage from episode 1 onwards. Bad shows never get better.

this tbh the only show that I forced myself, that became good later on was madoka magica.

other than that I usually drop at ep1
ZukkaApr 16, 2016 12:51 PM
Apr 16, 2016 12:57 PM

Jan 2012
imo is better this rule: watch it until you hate it

Apr 17, 2016 2:31 AM

Jul 2010
lol then make a new rule for yourself!
I won't put a series on my list if I drop it right after its shitty first episode, for example.
Apr 17, 2016 11:55 AM

Apr 2012
It's an actual rule...? O_o I thought it was just a guideline.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

32 by Daviljoe193 »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

215 by ISeeLifePeople »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
6 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.