Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ajin: Demi-Human
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 15, 2016 4:36 AM

Jun 2015
I've been discussing this season's anime with my friends, and Ajin has been a rather controversial topic for us. The art style used, to say the least, is unique. Although I'm not an expert in the mechanisms of anime, I am assuming it uses a whole different technology to generate such in-depth realistic models from anime art. Here is where the question lies: Was it the right art style to use? Is it a good art style that should be considered for other titles?

良い曲 // アスカ名言

ママ、ママ、わかったわ。ATフィールドの意味!!私を護っていてくれてる!私を見てくれてる!!ずっと、ずっと一緒だったのね!ママッ!!

気持ち悪い
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 15, 2016 8:17 AM

Sep 2013
It's CGI right?
It's cheap if you aren't going for high quality.
Feb 15, 2016 1:19 PM
Feb 2016
As far as i know there's a couple of techniques that could potentially produce the looks of ajin, and most of them have very different price tags and resulting quality.

But honestly based on what i've seen of the show (i gave up after 20 min or so) i'd say the one used for ajin is on the lower end of the scale of quality and price.

Now take my analysis with a bit of salt, my expertise on the subject comes from having the mindset of someone working in an IT field specializing in gathering information and being interested in anime, i might have spent a fairly large amount of time over the years learning about the intricacies of anime but i am by no means an expert on animated graphics.
Feb 15, 2016 1:34 PM

Jul 2015
ichii_1 said:
It's CGI right?
It's cheap if you aren't going for high quality.

CGI always looks cheap. You can pour all the money you want into it, 3 years later it'll look like shit.
Feb 15, 2016 9:37 PM

May 2014
Using CGI in Ajin is the best decision ever made in the history of anime.
"I'm just your typical human being who commit sins just like you. But the difference is that I never lied and tell anyone that what I did was right. I regret and ask for forgiveness from Him."

Why is my signature not anime-related? It's because who gives a fuck? Anyway I'd like to advertise to you this:

SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN IS FOLLOWING A SIMPLE FLOW OF THE STORYLINE. AND IT GETS REPETETIVE IF YOU VIEW IT ON ITS BIGGER PICTURE. WITH A LITTLE PLOT TWIST AND NEW IDEAS, YOU FORGOT THAT IT HAD ALREADY HAPPENED BEFORE.

Also, Tokyo Ghoul is AWESOME. Especially :re.
Feb 15, 2016 9:41 PM

Jul 2012
I love the CGI. It's just as good as Nobunaga Concerto and Sidonia no Kishi.
Feb 15, 2016 9:45 PM

Jan 2013
Sorry to say but it looks like shit. Shame, the story has some merit to it.
Feb 16, 2016 1:01 PM

Sep 2011
CGI ages like milk. I'm fine with some shows using it sparingly but I really don't like how they use it in shows like this. It looks like crap in my opinion.
Feb 18, 2016 3:34 PM

Sep 2015
I don't mind CGI when it's done decently; I think Ajin's is fine. My only issue with it is how poor the frame rate it at times. It gets really jagged and jumpy occasionally.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 18, 2016 3:37 PM

Jul 2012
ItsMaz said:
I don't mind CGI when it's done decently; I think Ajin's is fine. My only issue with it is how poor the frame rate it at times. It gets really jagged and jumpy occasionally.
Yeah, but overall it doesn't affect atmosphere/mood that much.
Feb 18, 2016 3:38 PM

Feb 2013
idk, I dont find Ajin CGI that bad, I think people exaggerate sometimes.

Feb 18, 2016 3:46 PM

Jul 2013
I think Ajin's CGI is the best I've seen, but yeah, it still looks like shit. It's clunky and awkward and jarring. Like Clebardman said, no matter how much money gets poured into it, it's never going to look natural. I feel like the CGI works for animating the actual ajin, but the people are just...ugh.
Mar 10, 2016 3:11 AM

Jan 2015
Mayuka said:
ItsMaz said:
Yeah, but overall it doesn't affect atmosphere/mood that much.
Definitely agreed.
Mar 10, 2016 3:21 AM

Nov 2011
The CGI isn't bad if you ask me. If you want to say its bad then what is good CGI in anime? Or are you just saying its terrible just because its CGI?

Mar 10, 2016 8:23 AM

Jan 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
The CGI isn't bad if you ask me. If you want to say its bad then what is good CGI in anime? Or are you just saying its terrible just because its CGI?

In a nutshell: all CGI in anime is bad.
Mar 10, 2016 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
CondemneDio said:
KaiserNazrin said:

I disagree

Mar 10, 2016 9:11 AM

Jan 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
CondemneDio said:

I disagree

Okay, I was proven wrong. Let me rephrase it: 99 % of CGI in anime is bad. You're more likely to run into choppy, unnatural-looking and downright horrible use of it, instead of actually good ones.
Mar 10, 2016 9:15 AM

Nov 2011
CondemneDio said:
KaiserNazrin said:

I disagree

Okay, I was proven wrong. Let me rephrase it: 99 % of CGI in anime is bad. You're more likely to run into choppy, unnatural-looking and downright horrible use of it, instead of actually good ones.

When 100% of the anime is in CGI, there's bound to be error here and there,its not like traditional anime doesn't have derp animation. Ajin action scene is pretty awesome.

Mar 10, 2016 9:18 AM

Jan 2013
KaiserNazrin said:

When 100% of the anime is in CGI, there's bound to be error here and there,its not like traditional anime doesn't have derp animation here and there. Ajin action scene is pretty awesome.

Funny, I was just thinking about Ajin when writing here :D

Ajin is an interesting case to me: the story intrigues me, but the CGI (especially outside of battle, so for 95% of time) is putting me off. The fight scenes are not that bad though.

And I do have to agree that normal animation can, and will, have quality issues. Episode 9 of KonoSuba was a great reminder of it :D
Even if it pleased my pingas...
Mar 10, 2016 9:25 AM

Apr 2014
KaiserNazrin said:
CondemneDio said:

When 100% of the anime is in CGI, there's bound to be error here and there,its not like traditional anime doesn't have derp animation. Ajin action scene is pretty awesome.

The pain vs naruto episode was one of the most expensive episode and has the best animation in the series. The animation was anything but bad.
Mar 10, 2016 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
Z4k said:
KaiserNazrin said:

The pain vs naruto episode was one of the most expensive episode and has the best animation in the series. The animation was anything but bad.

In another reality maybe.

Goddamn.

Mar 10, 2016 9:34 AM

Apr 2014
KaiserNazrin said:
Z4k said:

Goddamn.

Do you understand what the word "animation" means? The video you linked shows a very fluid battle scene with dynamic camera movement, distance shots, detailed environment effected by the battle, objects that actually rotate, etc
Mar 18, 2016 6:31 AM
Jul 2012
could be worse, could be rotoscoped, so be thankful for that
Mar 24, 2016 10:29 PM
May 2011
KaiserNazrin said:
CondemneDio said:

I disagree

No that's still bad.

anytime CGI doesn't blend in with the background it's bad.

and since no anime has ever done that.... all cgi in anime is bad.
Mar 29, 2016 10:03 AM

Dec 2012
I don't like CGI, and I don't like Ajin's artwork. May continue watching for the plot but meh, if the artwork keeps bothering me, I'll drop it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2015
The CGI isn't amazing or anything but the atmosphere fits it. No frills, slow movement, realistic
Mar 29, 2016 11:35 AM

Oct 2014
I honestly feel like the CGI helps this series more than it hurts it.

I'm not much a fan of CGI but I can handle it when everything else it so top-notch complaining about something as simple as CGI looks quite frivolous.

Ajin's atmosphere is ridiculously well done, the characters emotions flow/are expressed with much accentuation. This all matters more than the CGI.
Mar 30, 2016 3:16 AM

Nov 2012
At first, it put me off a bit, but seriously sometimes it just gives off a different feeling that adds to the atmosphere of the anime. I've learnt to like it in Ajin.
Mar 30, 2016 7:58 PM
Jul 2015
Z4k said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Goddamn.

Do you understand what the word "animation" means? The video you linked shows a very fluid battle scene with dynamic camera movement, distance shots, detailed environment effected by the battle, objects that actually rotate, etc

Really? What I saw was a shitty flash animation with disproportionate blobs flying around the screen while smashing various untextured tan cubes into pieces, and occasionally smashing into eachother before flying into jarring and poorly composited backgrounds. The camera movement was uninspired and heavily action oriented, which would have been good had there actually been any fight choreography. Distance shots =/= equal good animation. I don't know who told you that, it's literally just a type of shot. The environment was as bland, undetailed, and untextured as could be. The whole thing is lazy. I've seen better animation in flash videos.
This is man's ultimate fighting machine. The synthetic life form know as Evangelion, Unit 01. Built here in secret, it is mankind’s last hope.
Mar 30, 2016 8:37 PM

Apr 2014
Evangeliman said:
Z4k said:

Really? What I saw was a shitty flash animation with disproportionate blobs flying around the screen while smashing various untextured tan cubes into pieces, and occasionally smashing into eachother before flying into jarring and poorly composited backgrounds. The camera movement was uninspired and heavily action oriented, which would have been good had there actually been any fight choreography. Distance shots =/= equal good animation. I don't know who told you that, it's literally just a type of shot. The environment was as bland, undetailed, and untextured as could be. The whole thing is lazy. I've seen better animation in flash videos.

Yeah sure buddy.
Mar 30, 2016 8:48 PM
Jul 2015
Z4k said:
Evangeliman said:

Yeah sure buddy.

I'm not your buddy, guy.
This is man's ultimate fighting machine. The synthetic life form know as Evangelion, Unit 01. Built here in secret, it is mankind’s last hope.
Mar 30, 2016 8:51 PM

Apr 2014
Evangeliman said:
Z4k said:

Yeah sure buddy.

I'm not your buddy, guy.

Whatever you say buddy :^)
Mar 30, 2016 8:53 PM
Jul 2015
Z4k said:
Evangeliman said:

I'm not your buddy, guy.

Whatever you say buddy :^)

No, it's a South Park reference

Apr 11, 2016 8:54 AM

Dec 2015
Loved the art especialle the faces and their expressions. And especially that old guy from the village that wanted the money.

Much better than the usual anime with cute girls and bishounen ha ha.
Apr 12, 2016 1:33 AM

Feb 2015
I don't know why all that hate against the anime artwork, I really liked it. I think the different style fits very well on the plot, it's like Aku no Hana.

To me seems that the people who keeps complaining about the art of the anime just wanted another fan-service shit, full of little girls battling with noting more than bath clothes and a entire rainbow of colors.

If you don't like it, don't watch it, its simple.
Apr 12, 2016 3:17 AM
Apr 2016
Itachi_kun1 said:
I don't know why all that hate against the anime artwork, I really liked it. I think the different style fits very well on the plot, it's like Aku no Hana.

To me seems that the people who keeps complaining about the art of the anime just wanted another fan-service shit, full of little girls battling with noting more than bath clothes and a entire rainbow of colors.

If you don't like it, don't watch it, its simple.

Alas true man, decency is starting to get appreciated less and less. Polygon Pictures has it's unique style, which provides REALISM to their works. For example, when Sidonia no Kishi came out, I thought the artstyle was WHAT IS THIS A 3D? And then I fathomed the uniqueness and magnifience of both the style and the series.
Re:formed
Apr 12, 2016 5:29 AM

Jun 2015
CGI is freaky bad-___-
Apr 12, 2016 12:47 PM

Jul 2014
i think CGI seems fit with this anime, but they should increase the FPS
more FPS = more image, much better
but also, more FPS = High budget needed
TBH 30 FPS would make the action scenes much better :)
Apr 12, 2016 10:29 PM

Dec 2015
I'm not a big fan of the entire thing being done in CGI but with the anime industry as bad as it is it isn't surprising that there are more and more animes being done in it
it's hella cheaper to produce but I do agree that it doesn't ever age well
Apr 14, 2016 11:55 AM

Dec 2008
I'm not a big fan of cgi either but i liked the work polygon did with Sidonia and Ajin was no exception, it's not great but it's not bad either, their facial expressions and enviromental lighting is nice tho.

PD: That fight scene between Naruto and Pain someone posted before is trash, you can make everything move if you want but it has to be coherent.
Apr 20, 2016 11:43 PM
Apr 2016
Ajin is one of the better CGI works out there, but like others have said, it still doesn't look great. It will be a while before they create technology that makes the style both aesthetically pleasing and cost effective.
Apr 21, 2016 9:41 AM

Dec 2011
The CGI used on Sidonia and Ajin is great. The only problems are the framerate sometimes and facial expressions (in Sidonia was not that good, but in Ajin is already better).
May 2, 2016 2:42 AM
Sep 2009
It's called the Uncanny Valley. The closer you attempt to replicate a human being, the more likely -- if you're not perfect -- you'll fail. The "black ghosts" themselves looked great animated, but they're not talked about since they're shown for so little time during the series.

"anything that simulates the look and feel of a real human in a close-but-no-cigar manner will tend to have a major ick factor; whereas something that acts human but doesn't come anywhere close to looking human doesn't bother us at all."

The theory behind this is that, from an evolutionary standpoint, "close" typically meant "diseased" or "dead". Ghosts, zombies, and other horror tropes lie in the uncanny valley, while human-like robots and anime and video game CGI tend to be more in the creepy zone.

http://www.livescience.com/16600-cgi-humans-creepy-scientists.html
http://simplymaya.com/articles/uncanny-valley/uncanny-valley.mhtml
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/oct/27/tintin-uncanny-valley-computer-graphics
May 2, 2016 3:07 AM

May 2015
Maybe if they could get the CGI to an acceptable fps it would look a lot better. As for now, I really understand that they don't have the budget to do that all the time, but it still looks pretty ugly some times.
May 2, 2016 6:34 AM

Oct 2014
Personally I'm not a big fan of the CGI, and I'm still wondering why they decided to go with CGI for Ajin. Were they aiming for a more realistic atmosphere? Or is it just more cost effective?

I just feel the original art of the mangaka could have been portrayed better with the traditional 2D animation methods. Most notable is the character's expressions (such as Satou's crazy face), the CGI just couldn't capture the same depth in my opinion.

idk just me?
lalalallamaMay 2, 2016 6:37 AM
May 3, 2016 12:13 AM

Sep 2013
Z4k said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Goddamn.

I know this is old af but I have to respond because what you just said, was retarded. The whole scene would had been fantastic IF they didn't completely disregard the art while animating it. As the other guy already said, it literally just looked like a ton of shitty blobs smashing into each other and flying around like jelly with a disgustingly plain environment consisting of bland colors and nothing else. Have no clue what you're looking at when you said "detailed environment". There was nothing to it other than it running smooth.
May 3, 2016 12:30 AM

Apr 2014
Flylow said:
Z4k said:

I know this is old af but I have to respond because what you just said, was retarded. The whole scene would had been fantastic IF they didn't completely disregard the art while animating it. As the other guy already said, it literally just looked like a ton of shitty blobs smashing into each other and flying around like jelly with a disgustingly plain environment consisting of bland colors and nothing else. Have no clue what you're looking at when you said "detailed environment". There was nothing to it other than it running smooth.

That's a stylistic choice you stupid retard and yes the environment was detailed.

And on-model character design =/= Good animation
May 3, 2016 12:36 AM

Sep 2013
Z4k said:
Flylow said:

That's a stylistic choice you stupid retard and yes the environment was detailed.

And on-model character design =/= Good animation

Well the "stylistic choice" blew dick, and no there was literally no environment, you're blind af. Then again you're trying to defend Naruto, so why am I even arguing lmao
May 3, 2016 12:50 AM

Apr 2014
Flylow said:
Well the "stylistic choice" blew dick, and no there was literally no environment, you're blind af.

That's simply your worthless opinion and do you even understand what I even meant when I said "detailed environment"?
Then again you're trying to defend Naruto, so why am I even arguing lmao

"haha lmao you're defending nardo"

This is how you sound right now.
Z4KMay 3, 2016 12:54 AM
May 3, 2016 12:52 AM

Sep 2013
Z4k said:
Flylow said:
Well the "stylistic choice" blew dick, and no there was literally no environment, you're blind af.

That's simply your worthless opinion and do you even understand what I even meant when I said "detailed environment"?
Then again you're trying to defend Naruto, so why am I even arguing lmao

"haha lmao you're defending nardo"

This how you sound right now.

Says the one trying to defend possibly the worst animation is history.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ajin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2016

259 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 8, 11:27 PM

Poll: » Ajin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

155 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 8, 10:46 PM

Poll: » Ajin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

148 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM

Poll: » Ajin Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

81 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 7, 10:13 PM

Poll: » Ajin Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2016

111 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 7, 9:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.