Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2016 7:19 PM

Feb 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Sunny charmed me in every possible way from the beginning. It is a hard and dramatic story, but told with an adventurous sense of humor and boundless imagination that made me greatly enjoy every page. For me this was a cult comic, a jewel for its excellent script and drawing.
Sunny is a partly autobiographical work that again makes Matsumoto's talent clear; unclassifiable author, as versatile as virtuous, who combines folkloric elements with poetic passages to shape an emotional portrait of childhood.
I love Taiyou Matsumoto for many reasons, but Sunny takes the cake, it has definitely stolen my heart.
Jan 7, 2017 6:40 AM
Oct 2012
Sunny was a fantastic read and once again shows why Matsumoto is at the top of the game to this day. Still processing that final chapter a bit because it's still shocking how the manga wrapped up. I feel honoured to have been able to read and purchase this series.
Jul 25, 2017 12:38 AM

Feb 2008
The image of the bleak life in a foster home makes it clear that sometimes the small sufferings hurt the most. What probably hits the hardest is that the hardships that the children went through were beyond any help. Even some of the adults, as motivated as they were to make such a life more bearable, couldn't do much to lessen the pain of abandonment and the implications it brought upon. It would be hard to judge the parents as well, as their lives are messed up to the point that they struggle providing for themselves, much less raising a child. Haruo's mom might be somewhat an exception to that, but we only catch a glimpse of her circumstances, so it's hard to say anything. Still, it irked me somewhat that she didn't want her own son to be overly familiar with her.

Overall, an excellent read. As I understand, the work has a biographical background, so the inspiration for some characters probably stems from real people. Even if it were heavily based on real events, it's hard to pull off a masterful transition of realism into fiction as it was the case here. Definitely recommended.

Feb 3, 2018 1:13 PM

Nov 2009
Loved it. It was fun and it was hard. Yet it was a very faithful story.

I read it is based on Matsumoto-sensei childhood, and that breaks my heart.
Oct 3, 2020 12:04 PM

Nov 2013
Edaniel said:
Loved it. It was fun and it was hard. Yet it was a very faithful story.

I read it is based on Matsumoto-sensei childhood, and that breaks my heart.

thats a very long neck
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 9, 2020 7:10 PM
Aug 2019
i could've finished reading this in a day but i chose to take it slow because i didn't want the journey to end fast. it took me a week but i literally just finished it now and i regret reading the last chapter before sleep T_T. I never even thought I would love this manga so much and how much emotional it would make me too. im just typing whatbi currently feel so it's a mess.

i definitely recommend reading this manga
Jul 25, 2023 10:59 PM
Mar 2021
Peak. I was wondering what the last chapter would be after finishing the previous chapter and yet again, a very realistic turn of events.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sunny Chapter 5 Discussion

RVDA - Sep 5, 2016

0 by RVDA »»
Sep 5, 2016 11:21 AM

Poll: » Sunny Chapter 1 Discussion

RVDA - Sep 5, 2016

0 by RVDA »»
Sep 5, 2016 12:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.