Forum Settings
Forums

Can taste in music correlate with intelligence?

New
Jan 18, 2016 10:27 AM

Jun 2014
I saw an interesting picture of SAT scores lined up with the kind of music the students listened to. A lot of my favourite artists arent on here unfortunately, but its interesting seeing where the ones that are are placed. I personally dont think much of these rankings though. I got all information from this site I hope no one gets offended by this. Sorry to all Lil Wayne fans.

Ranking by Genre

Ranking by Artists

Graph

What kind of artists/genres do you like and how do they scale up against these results?
Do you think musical taste can have anything to do with how smart you are?
What do you think of these results?
Discuss!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2016 10:29 AM
Jun 2009
I have IQ 165 and I have much better taste in music than the most of the people,so obviously yeah.

BTW,I listen to anime soundtracks,especially Love Live! is great.
Jan 18, 2016 10:31 AM

Nov 2015
Yes. Everyone who has the same music tastes as me are smart. Everyone who doesn't is dumb. Simple really.
Jan 18, 2016 10:31 AM

Aug 2010
I don't believe which music you listen to has any correlation between intelligence,
If it was Nickelback, will be much lower
Jan 18, 2016 10:32 AM

Nov 2015
WHERE THE FUCK IS PROGRESSIVE/DEATH METAL?

Whatever, I'm a fan of precisely not a single artist in that list. But I guess there has to be a correlation (not exactly a causation) between intelligence and music; more intelligent people prefer, in my experience, genres that are heavy on musical complexity. But I've seen otherwise cases too. So dunno.
Jun 2009
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
I like how you always put so much effort into your opening posts. It's really cute.

Don't let yourself be fooled tho.
She is not a man so she is not a valid target for you.

Jul 2015
But what if you don't like music at all?
Jan 18, 2016 10:33 AM

Apr 2015
I'm assuming the music I listen to is probably the lowest on the genre charts although I wouldn't consider my self in the group of the stupidest people to exist.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jan 18, 2016 10:33 AM

Nov 2015
Almost all of my favourite musicians are in the top 50. Proof that I am a certifiable genius.
Jan 18, 2016 10:42 AM
Jun 2009
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
Ii-kun said:

Don't let yourself be fooled tho.
She is not a man so she is not a valid target for you.

that was uncalled for

who even are you

The person behind your shoulder.

obv
Jan 18, 2016 10:50 AM

Apr 2012
I like artists from the top to the bottom of the spectrum
What does that say about me?
Absolutely nothing lol

Jan 18, 2016 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
I know some intelligent people and their music taste is generic, nothing special.
I also know some unfriendly creepy dorks who know about music a lot, so go figure..
Any genre or artist can be interesting in one way or another. Some are more appealing.
I like electronic (ambient, techno and IDM), as well as good old blues or some pop.
Jan 18, 2016 10:52 AM

Jun 2012
Wouldn't the fact that popular artists and genres in the age group that actually take SAT tests would skew this pretty much towards those particular artists/genres?

For instance, EDM is pretty huge right now, especially with younger generations, so one would expect a majority of the SAT test takers to like the genre and artists in the genre.

Genres such as Metal and say K-pop are pretty niche, so their representation are going to be pretty low, putting them lower on the chart.

This is more of a "What genres of music is this generation is into" more than anything I would say.

As for the question on how taste can relate to your intelligence, probably not. I remember hearing about a study that found by listening to music, it stimulates the brain and helps with learning, but I don't remember it talking about specific genres being better or worse in stimulating the brain. It just had to be music the listener was into.

But who knows, maybe smart people just aren't into hip-hop and pop because they need more complex musical arrangements in their music..
Jan 18, 2016 10:55 AM

Apr 2012
Also why is Beethoven on top of the list while classical music as a whole is at the bottom of the list?
Also you do realize U2 is alternative rock yet rock/alternative is also at the bottom of the list

Or am i misreading something here lol

Jan 18, 2016 10:56 AM

Apr 2015
Also I forgot to mention, corrolation != causation

More examples

Either way the correlation between music taste does not necessarily need to mean anything at all, and there is nothing to compare it with either. Another thing is that there is no correlation towards anything (well, not really). If there was a correlation towards something else showing the same pattern then it might be slightly substantial but with nothing else it doesn't really mean anything, unfortunately.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jan 18, 2016 11:06 AM

May 2015
What about the lids who don't listen to music?
Jan 18, 2016 11:07 AM

Jan 2016
I don't think that there's really a correlation. As a general trend, maybe, but I would say that there are enough exceptions to the "rule" to make the rule invalid. Besides, the kind of intelligence that is usually associated with a certain music taste is not the same kind of intelligence that is measured on the SAT.
Jan 18, 2016 11:08 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah, no, not really tbh fam. Sorry, but liking some pretentious hipster band or artist doesn't make you smarter. Not even close.
Jan 18, 2016 11:09 AM

Jun 2014
Zeally said:
Also why is Beethoven on top of the list while classical music as a whole is at the bottom of the list?
Also you do realize U2 is alternative rock yet rock/alternative is also at the bottom of the list

Or am i misreading something here lol
I'm not completely sure how it was done, but I think favourite genre might have been asked along side favourite artists when they surveyed this or something along those lines because I guess Beethoven could be someones favourite artist, but classical might not be their genre or like it could have been done by taking the average of all the artists in that genre since some artists of the same genre had significantly higher/lower scorers. I'm not completely sure though since I'm not the one who did it.
Jan 18, 2016 11:18 AM

May 2013
I think listening to music attentively makes you smarter and more creative, but I'd hesitate to correlate intelligence between any genre and fans of that genre. Although just from a first glance, fans of classical seem pretty intellectual.

Not sure how techno ended up #1 on that lol
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 18, 2016 11:22 AM

Jun 2015
Music? I never listen to music. I love the ________________.
Jan 18, 2016 11:26 AM

Apr 2009
i hate elitism about music, and SAT scores don't say jack shit about intelligence. so i'm inclined to not care about this, and say that the type of music you like says nothing about intelligence.

especially cause the most intelligent people i know have their music taste all over the place, while snobby boring people who only like one genre tend to strike me as not overly bright
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jan 18, 2016 11:27 AM

Apr 2012
Great, OP! Ask for a SAT ranking for people that like pegging vs people that don't!

Or, SAT ranking for people that masturbate a lot and people that don't!

Or see if the SAT ranking for people that like chocolate flavor as their ice cream is lower or higher than people that like vanilla!

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 18, 2016 11:28 AM

Feb 2013
ew Techno

Ii-kun said:
I have IQ 165 and I have much better taste in music than the most of the people,so obviously yeah.

BTW,I listen to anime soundtracks,especially Love Live! is great.

Love Live is superior to all of those in the list, it didn't make it because simply peasants cant appreciate it enough.

Jan 18, 2016 11:28 AM

Jun 2013
It can correlate, but correlation is not proof of causation.

However, we would not even be able to find this correlation, because intelligence is not measurable, nor does it even have a strict definition.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Jan 18, 2016 11:32 AM

Apr 2009
Immahnoob said:
Great, OP! Ask for a SAT ranking for people that like pegging vs people that don't!
i'd actually be pretty interested in getting stats about this tbh
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jan 18, 2016 11:33 AM

Mar 2014
xrockxz89 said:

Classical music is technically actually music. Since it has reasons to have beats & rhythms placed in a particular order to convey a particular message. Not like modern songs were you can put anything together & call it "art".

As for techno (not counting dubstep & stuff like that) its probably the closest thing to classical music we have in modern times.

> "i think Youtube is a pretty cool guy. eh sucks viacoms dick and doesn’t afraid of anything" - anon
Ban me plz
Jan 18, 2016 11:35 AM

Dec 2014
Zeally said:
I like artists from the top to the bottom of the spectrum
What does that say about me?
Absolutely nothing lol
I came here to say this, but it looks like you beat me to it.
Jan 18, 2016 11:37 AM

Feb 2010
i did read about similar experiment: students were divided into two groups. group a listened to classical music before studies, group b to music which they liked. in the end of semester group b had higher grades than a. so its not which music you listen but how much you like it maybe.
Jan 18, 2016 11:37 AM

Jun 2015
TornadoTheDragon said:
xrockxz89 said:

Classical music is technically actually music. Since it has reasons to have beats & rhythms placed in a particular order to convey a particular message. Not like modern songs were you can put anything together & call it "art".

As for techno (not counting dubstep & stuff like that) its probably the closest thing to classical music we have in modern times.
I thought this thread was trying to find an interrelationship between music tastes and intelligence but I think it's just clearer to read such statements to make conclusions.
Jan 18, 2016 11:38 AM

Jul 2015
In the end, correlation will likely just remain a correlation.
Jan 18, 2016 11:40 AM

Jun 2014
kawaiiyuris said:
Immahnoob said:
i'd actually be pretty interested in getting stats about this tbh
I think this correlation and the results mean very little if anything at all. I just found it interesting and a bit funny reading them so I thought I would share.
Jan 18, 2016 11:54 AM

Apr 2012
Don't worry OP, I'm not blaming you, I'm blaming whoever came up with this idea.

So I'm asking you, as a person, to message these people to ask for all sorts of correlations THAT TRULY MAKE SENSE.

Like, the correlation between your taste in sexual kinks with your intelligence!

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 18, 2016 11:55 AM
Jan 2013
Hue, I literally don't listen to any of those guys there

Immahnoob said:
Or see if the SAT ranking for people that like chocolate flavor as their ice cream is lower or higher than people that like vanilla!
I'd be up for this one if it proved the superiority of the chocoflavor
gone bai bai
Jan 18, 2016 12:00 PM

Mar 2014
Lordwen said:
TornadoTheDragon said:

I thought this thread was trying to find an interrelationship between music tastes and intelligence but I think it's just clearer to read such statements to make conclusions.

Its pretty obvious that correlation does not necessarily translate to causation.

Again what I posted is my opinion. Yours may differ. Although I give you a +1 in your attempt to be witty.

cumshotz said:
TornadoTheDragon said:

actually you literally call any arrangement of sounds music.

i'd give that honor to metal, as certain kinds of metal are pretty similar to classical music.

Well if you think an infant beating a stick on a pan randomly is music so be it. Music has to have some inherent structure in it. Otherwise its just random sounds imo.

Yeah metal is pretty good too. Not my favourite genre but still pretty good. Especially 80s metal imo.

> "i think Youtube is a pretty cool guy. eh sucks viacoms dick and doesn’t afraid of anything" - anon
Ban me plz
Jan 18, 2016 12:01 PM

Sep 2015
5. Rap

yeah sure, rap is proably the biggest indicator for IQ's lower than 100

btw SAT=/= IQ

Jan 18, 2016 12:02 PM

Jun 2014
Immahnoob said:
Don't worry OP, I'm not blaming you, I'm blaming whoever came up with this idea.

So I'm asking you, as a person, to message these people to ask for all sorts of correlations THAT TRULY MAKE SENSE.

Like, the correlation between your taste in sexual kinks with your intelligence!
I think they actually did a few other of these like between scores and favourite books, but maybe I can get them on the right track with these studies!
Jan 18, 2016 12:03 PM

Jul 2015
I like Radiohead, Norah Jones, and The Beatles. Ayyy.
But as far as genres of music, I'm not especially picky
Jan 18, 2016 12:11 PM

Jan 2015
lmao at the gospel music being at the very end of the spectrum. I tend to like techno the most out of all music so that's nice. I don't listen to any of those particular people so I can't really get judged there though. I like a lot of music though. Classical, jazz, blues, there's a lot of music I like. This test pigeon holes people to specific artists and genres.
ModeratelyHumanJan 18, 2016 12:14 PM
Jan 18, 2016 12:11 PM
Feb 2014
To be frank, a lot of what's mentioned seemed to have been what was popular like 8 or so years back, so I'm not sure if I really trust this all.
AqutanJan 18, 2016 12:14 PM
Jan 18, 2016 12:29 PM

Jan 2015
sedmelluq said:
It can correlate, but correlation is not proof of causation.

However, we would not even be able to find this correlation, because intelligence is not measurable, nor does it even have a strict definition.
I'm on this persons side with this one. We don't even know what exactly intelligence is yet, much less have a way of measuring it. The american school system, and especially the SAT' tests, are not effective at gauging someones intelligence, and they weren't designed to.

It is an interesting chart though. I'll make sure to bring it up to rag on my friends!
I kid.
Jan 18, 2016 12:37 PM

Jun 2014
lmao @ Rap and Hip Hop being separate.
Jan 18, 2016 12:38 PM

Jun 2015
It's all circumstantial. Taste in music doesn't have anything to do with intelligence...
Based on that I'd be smarter than I am.

And it's funny that country is ranked so high.

Jan 18, 2016 12:44 PM
Feb 2014
I like how my school is rated 204.

Thanks Californians for using us as a "safety school"
Jan 18, 2016 12:46 PM

May 2015
ModeratelyHuman said:
lmao at the gospel music being at the very end of the spectrum. I tend to like techno the most out of all music so that's nice. I don't listen to any of those particular people so I can't really get judged there though. I like a lot of music though. Classical, jazz, blues, there's a lot of music I like. This test pigeon holes people to specific artists and genres.

Agreed, most people listen to several different genres.
Jan 18, 2016 1:28 PM

Mar 2008
It might, but if this is something you find genuine interest in and you choose to judge people (including yourself) based on it, chances are you're a pseudointellectual (citation needed).

I got a perfect on my SAT math and since my tastes don't correlate directly with the one you posted it can EAD. My score is quite sufficient for my pseudointellectual ego stroking, but this thread gives me a great idea to take it a step further. I'm going to find all of the qualities that smrt ppl share with me and conclude I am a superior being through association.

But yeah no, please don't try to make conclusions about someone's intelligence based on his musical tastes. At best, it might have some slight correlation, but at worst, you're completely misjudging people based on a faulty standard.

At some point you have to ask yourself why you're looking for this sort of information and why it matters to you.
Jan 18, 2016 1:42 PM

Apr 2013
Your family background and cultural upbringing has more to do with it than intelligence does.
Jan 18, 2016 1:45 PM

May 2013
TornadoTheDragon said:
xrockxz89 said:

When I think of techno, I actually think of just ravey electronic music like Dubstep, Trance, or Hardcore. EDM. I wouldn't classify all electronic music as techno. Some of it can be decently thought provoking, though I was mostly taking a jab at the fan base with my comment lol.

But yeah if you broaden the term then I agree, I mean listen to video game ost's, those are mostly electronic and they are very well composed.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 18, 2016 1:53 PM

Apr 2012
I personally believe taste in music is related to how certain areas of the brain are developed, but in no way intelligence, as intelligence is also dependent on the various areas of the brain. This study, at first sight, seems like a baseless correlation between two numbers to generate buzz.

And of course, not everything is predetermined and genetic. How you were raised has just as much impact on your taste in music, as well as on your intelligence. Regardless of that I think we should refrain from connecting "intelligence" to "taste" - or tests to taste for that matter. Tests of intelligence are questionable.

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!
Jan 18, 2016 1:59 PM
Mar 2013
Seemingly not. I'm relatively intelligent, and the bands I enjoy are anywhere from towards the top (Beatles, RHCP, Weezer, my three favorites) to rather close to the bottom (Foo Fighters, Bon Jovi)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

73 by 707supremacist »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 7 hours ago

12 by 707supremacist »»
8 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

65 by Animeistaken »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

21 by Taiyaa »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.