Jan 16, 2016 11:06 AM

Apr 2015
Ping Pong the animation and Ashita no Joe > all sports anime

-Mastergold
Jan 16, 2016 11:08 AM

Sep 2015
ultravigo said:
-Anabelle- said:
I don't understand this. All anime are fiction so why would only sports anime be not real?

because reasons....
EPL> Inazuma eleven.....NBA>KB....
Yeah, what about Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe, Slam Dunk, Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal, One outs, Chiyafuru, Prince of Tennis, Baby Steps....
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Aug 2015
Sports Anime = A kind of Shounen anime that is mostly watched by girls/fujoshis

What kind of anime people likes is everyone's personal choice and can't say I like them. So I keep 100 yards away from any sports anime I find. ( even though my PC's hdd is full of them )

Jan 2012
I like them, all of the sports anime I have seen I have given at least a 7/10. I've seen Chihayafuru, Haiku, Kuroko's Basketball, Ace of Diamond, Kuroko's Basketball, Prince of Tennis, and Yowapeda. I enjoyed them all.

Ironically the only one I tried watching and couldn't get into at all was Slam Dunk.
Jan 16, 2016 11:09 AM

Jun 2013
-CallMeSenpai- said:
ultravigo said:

because reasons....
Yeah, what about Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe, Slam Dunk, Haikyuu, Yumawashi Pedal, One outs....
Yeah plus Ookiku Furikabutte, Ace of Diamond and Baby Steps
Jan 16, 2016 11:10 AM

Oct 2013
-Anabelle- said:
Electricgrooves said:
I don't see the appeal in sports anime because it's not real.
I don't understand this. All anime are fiction so why would only sports anime be not real?

Why watch anime sports when you can watch real sports with real athletes?

Jun 2015
it's great, the sport genre has the best anime of all time as well which is haikyuu.

Aug 2015
-CallMeSenpai- said:
ultravigo said:

because reasons....
Yeah, what about Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe, Slam Dunk, Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal, One outs....

real sports drama+action+transfer market > anime sports mc plot armor+friendship wins game bullshit
Jan 16, 2016 11:11 AM

Aug 2015
Electricgrooves said:
-Anabelle- said:

Why watch anime sports when you can watch real sports?

this guy gets it....here have a cookie
Jan 16, 2016 11:12 AM

Jun 2013
Z-Dante said:

What kind of anime people likes is everyone's personal choice and can't say I like them. So I keep 100 yards away from any sports anime I find. ( even though my PC's hdd is full of them )
You don't even give sports anime a try because girls watch them? Also there are sports anime that don't appeal to fujoshi's like Hajime no Ippo, Slam Dunk etc.
Jan 16, 2016 11:12 AM

Sep 2015
Electricgrooves said:
-Anabelle- said:

Why watch real sports when you can watch anime sports?

Now you see how stupid your statement is...
NasalShark said:

Jan 16, 2016 11:13 AM

Mar 2008
Demi_V said:
I just started getting into sports anime, and I love them. I would say we need more, but there are a lot of shows I haven't seen yet. Wish there were some with a female cast, but hopefully that'll come in the future.

You might want to try these shows then: Princess Nine, Taisho Baseball Girls, Battle Athletes & Battle Athletes Victory. All are older shows but they do feature girls in their main casts & are quite good IMO.
Jan 16, 2016 11:14 AM

Jun 2013
Electricgrooves said:
-Anabelle- said:

Because some people prefer sports anime over actual sports?

Apr 2014
I like sports anime except kuroko no basket.

Jun 2014
Z-Dante said:

That made no sense. & even if that was the case it doesn't affect the content does it?

Aug 2015
-Anabelle- said:
Z-Dante said:

You don't even give sports anime a try because girls watch them? Also there are sports anime that don't appeal to fujoshi's like Hajime no Ippo, Slam Dunk etc.

if he don't like a certain genre of anime then everyone should deal with it...being butthurt will not change his mind to watch sport genre
Jul 2018
i don't understand them. :/ so i tend to avoid them
Jan 16, 2016 11:16 AM

Jun 2013
ultravigo said:
-Anabelle- said:

if he don't like a certain genre of anime then everyone should deal with it...being butthurt will not change his mind to watch sport genre
Of course he can dislike a genre but the reasoning behind that sounds extremly stupid
Oct 2015
I watched KnB and I'm currently watching Diamond no Ace and I'm enjoying then, I plan on watching more of the genre in the future.

Aug 2015
-Anabelle- said:
Z-Dante said:

No no. I'm not saying that. Even I watch shoujo anime too. It's just I don't find most sports anime appealing.
Jan 16, 2016 11:17 AM
Nov 2014
I love sports anime, But it's really hard finding good ones.
Jan 16, 2016 11:19 AM

Jul 2009
I've been watching Ace of Diamonds and Haikyuu!!, as well as Iwatobi Swim Club, and to a lesser degree, Kuroko no Basket. Since I've nearly given up on action titles (except for Kill la Kill, which was the best anime I've seen in a very long time), sports shows seem to be the only subgenre left where the subtext is comradery, teamwork, and friendship. Which is more than I can say for shows like Bleach and Blue Exoricst, where everyone talks about friendship, but all seem to hate each other.
Jan 16, 2016 11:22 AM

Aug 2015
babymimi said:
Z-Dante said:

That made no sense. & even if that was the case it doesn't affect the content does it?
What I was saying that those anime are mainly made for/aimed at teenage boys. Yet it attracts more girls than boys which I find surprising.
Jan 16, 2016 11:23 AM

Oct 2013
-CallMeSenpai- said:
Electricgrooves said:

Because real sport is not scripted or bs

Jan 16, 2016 11:29 AM

Apr 2015
The shounen ones are very predictable but I really do enjoy them, specially when they focus more on the characters like in haikyuu. I loved knb as well but it kinda got meh towards the 3rd season and lost my interest cause of all of the powerups. One outs and ping pong are my fav though cause of the psychological aspects
Jan 16, 2016 11:30 AM

Jan 2012
I don't understand why people say, "because of superpowers" and "people can't do those things in real life." As someone who enjoys real life sports, I honestly struggle to see the problem.

Basketball is my favorite sport and Kuroko's Basketball is my favorite sports anime. I didn't look at Kuroko like "Wow, half of this stuff isn't even possible in real basketball." If anything I thought it was cool seeing my favorite sport adapted in such a way. Plus it isn't too far off to say that most of the "powers" in Kuroko's Basketball are based off of real life abilities and/or skills, just amplified to a superhuman degree. Like Midorima's shot, while no one is capable of making their shot 100% of the time, there are some people who are capable of taking deep 3 point shots and consistently making them. (Steph Curry)
Jan 16, 2016 11:33 AM

Jul 2015
They totally exaggerate everything but I still like em
At least the few that I've watched
Jan 16, 2016 11:33 AM

Mar 2014
Eyeshield 21 is the best football anime ever and I like them I'm barely getting into them though
Eat Me
Jan 16, 2016 11:38 AM

Apr 2015
Just completed kuroko no basket, my first sport anime. LOVED IT.
-Taicho-Jan 16, 2016 11:43 AM
Jan 16, 2016 11:58 AM

Jun 2015
Haikyuu and Baby Steps are both great. Haven't watched anything else.
Jan 16, 2016 12:13 PM

Dec 2015
hate 'em all -_- sports anime, real life sport, sports ... -__-
Jan 16, 2016 12:16 PM

Aug 2015
Sports is one of my favorite anime genre but that said real sports>fake anime sports.

Cross Game, Ping Pong the animation & One Outs are arguably the best sports anime.
TheNextChamp said:
If you want to watch some real basketball, watch Slam Dunk (or read the manga which is better )
WTF??? Have you ever watch some real basketball in your life? I like Slam Dunk but that thing isn't realistic. I haven't seen a real pro basketball player wear a reading glasses on the court. I could go on but I'll leave it at that.
-Elevated- said:
Its my favourite anime genre.

but what bothers me, is they're using yaoi bait in sports anime a lot, that it's becoming part of it
The reason I dropped Free. That new anime Prince of Stride seems to be taking the yaoi route too.
-CallMeSenpai- said:
Yeah, what about Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe, Slam Dunk, Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal, One outs, Chiyafuru, Prince of Tennis, Baby Steps....
HBO/Showtime Boxing>Ippo/Joe, Tour de France>Yowamushi, MLB>One Outs, Wimbledon>Prince of Tennis/Baby Steps, Chihayafuru... karuta is a sport?

-CallMeSenpai- said:

Gotta be the nerdiest most otaku weeb question I've ever read lol.

But ok, whay watch real sports? Lebron James, JJ Watts, Conor Mcgregor, Manny Pacquio, Lionel Messi..

Inb4 comparing real sports athlete to 2D drawings.
Electricgrooves said:
-CallMeSenpai- said:

Because real sport is not scripted or bs
^This too.
Jan 16, 2016 12:32 PM

Mar 2013
They're kinda interesting.. better than real sports, anyway.

Let us dance
to this
twisted rhythm
Jan 16, 2016 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
Major is one for everyone combines realistic handling of the sport it focuses on(Baseball) and has some great characters as well.
Jan 16, 2016 12:43 PM

Aug 2014
It's funny because I actually like sports anime, but in real life, I suck at sports so much
Jan 16, 2016 2:45 PM

Jan 2014
I could only watch/play a few sports irl but anime makes all sports interesting~

I'd recommend Yowamushi Pedal if you want something like Haikyuu!!
Jan 16, 2016 2:48 PM

Jul 2012
Chihayafuru... karuta is a sport?
yes it exists irl

Vivie said:
I'd recommend Yowamushi Pedal if you want something like Haikyuu!!
I think Oofuri's more like HQ!! than anything else lol
Jan 16, 2016 2:53 PM

Jan 2014
Mayuka said:

Hmm.. Haven't watched that. Maybe I'll try it next if you say so :)
Jan 16, 2016 3:00 PM

Sep 2015
Squirtroll said:
-CallMeSenpai- said:

Gotta be the nerdiest most otaku weeb question I've ever read lol.

But ok, whay watch real sports? Lebron James, JJ Watts, Conor Mcgregor, Manny Pacquio, Lionel Messi..

Inb4 comparing real sports athlete to 2D drawings.
You misunderstood the whole point of my comment. His response to why I like sports anime was "why you watch that if you can watch this."

The point of my comment was to point out how stupid is that question, how can be applicated to everything and how it's a bad argument.
NasalShark said:

Jan 16, 2016 3:56 PM

Apr 2014
Best anime genre, which i personally enjoy the most
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Jan 16, 2016 4:00 PM
Jul 2015
I've only watched 2 Sports Anime so far :

Hajime no Ippo is amazing

Ping Pong is clearly overrated.
hi
Jan 16, 2016 4:02 PM

Jan 2016
What I like with "every sports anime ever" (in quotation for those who likes to throw this around) is its overlying theme of the ideal, the goal and reaching it by determination and hard work.
Jan 16, 2016 4:02 PM

Jul 2012
Vivie said:
Mayuka said:

Hmm.. Haven't watched that. Maybe I'll try it next if you say so :)
Yesss:D

the main characters are really similar to oofuri's~ kageyama = abe and hinata = mihashi
Jan 16, 2016 4:05 PM

Aug 2012
Love them. Makes me feel like I should try harder in life. Basically pumps me up, serves as motivation.

Jan 16, 2016 5:21 PM

Dec 2009
Not a sports fan, but definitely an anime sports fan. Animes like Kuroko no Basket and Prince of Tennis are pretty popular, but far from great. If you want some real good sports animes I would recommend Hajime no Ippo and Ashita no Joe (boxing), Major, Cross Game and Touch (Baseball), Haikyuu (Volleyball) and Slam Dunk (Basketball).

For people who think they won't like sports anime, but would like to try some out, then Hajime no Ippo, Major, Haikyuu and Touch would be a great way to try it out. Specially Touch, as it's basically a slice of life anime until about episode 25.
Jan 16, 2016 5:31 PM
Jan 2016
I think sports anime are good, but I have only seen Yowamushi pedal and a I love it
Jan 16, 2016 10:59 PM

Jan 2016
I've only seen Free!, Haikyuu!!, Chihayafuru, and Ping Pong so I can't say I know much. But overall, they were enjoyable and much more entertaining than real life sports, imo.
Jan 16, 2016 11:20 PM

Sep 2014
Major is the best sports anime there is. It drags on a little like every fucking sports anime.

Jan 16, 2016 11:38 PM

Jul 2012
Goku said:
Major is the best sports anime there is. It drags on a little like every fucking sports anime.
I really wish the Anime adapted all of the Manga, but they skipped over the World series arc :( I'm most interested in that one as I like the Golden Battery the most!

I'm hoping to scanlate the manga one day~
Jan 17, 2016 12:34 AM

Jun 2008
Ugh...just ugh!!!

Japs can't play basketball and shouldn't even try.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime

LittleStar - May 4

32 by alshu »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - May 4

51 by alshu »»
9 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 4

67 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
12 minutes ago

» How would you describe modern mainstream anime? ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

54 by RobertBobert »»
13 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

76 by alshu »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.