Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 11, 2016 11:57 AM

Jan 2016
Being from Kosovo what I say will probably be contentious, but for most people I'd say the late 1960s-1970s.
Jan 11, 2016 12:10 PM

Aug 2013
NasalShark said:
When we had a queen that didn't look like a half inflated balloon :(

Its weird when you think that people like the Queen used to be young, I always just imagines she was always old.

Jan 11, 2016 12:36 PM

Jan 2011
There were different moments. Mostly during Roman Republic/Empire, Renaissance and between 1861-1939.
Jan 11, 2016 12:39 PM

Apr 2013
ZyraxPasha said:
What was the most glorious era for your country?

Bonus question : who was the greatest leader of your country

we had several"glorious" era I think. Under Carolus Magnus, under Louis XIV, under Napoleon...

As for the greatest leader, I would say Napoleon. Not for his conquests, but for the HUGE amount of reforms he did during his reign. I don't think we ever had another leader that innovative and that efficient in reforming before or after that.
Heck, a lot of his reforms are still influencing today's way of life for us. HE basically made the country go from medieval laws/systems to (pre)modern laws/system. That's impressive
ZefyrisJan 11, 2016 12:43 PM
Jan 11, 2016 12:42 PM

Feb 2015
-Third Reich
-Adolf Hitler

/thread
Jan 11, 2016 1:01 PM

Jul 2014
People have tried to debate this for many years, but somehow we're left with the conclusion that maybe never. There's always war, some political problems and stuff.
For any version there'd be a ton of haters.
deadoptimistJan 11, 2016 1:26 PM
Jan 11, 2016 1:10 PM

Jan 2009
Homuranagi said:
Remember how the Ottomans, the richest, biggest empire with the biggest army, failed to capture Vienna twice?
The Hungarians were just some N00B H3xx0rs who were cheating ;_; The Ottomans had quite a few Barriers on their Way to a then better secured Vienna.

Homuranagi said:
Since it's Hungary I'm talking about, it's really hard to define.
I'm having Problems as well with the Definition. Is it about having the greatest Military Influence/Territories and/or cultural Sphere? How renowned the Country is? Whether or not the People are "free"? How good the Economy and/or Living Situation is and whether or not many People are wealthy.
If military Influence were the sole Criteria, I would agree with Nigami_Shin above on #55.
Generally spoken, I wouldn't dare to call Nazi Germany as the "Golden Period" for its Recovery from WW1 or the scientific Developments in the first Place, since it was rather counterproductive for its Reputation and has done its Best to get everything in Ruins again. Thanks to it, my City looks absolutely horrible compared to all the Centuries before. I wish that my City had been destroyed and rebuild during the cultural Prime Time around the End of the 19th and Beginning of the 20th Century as well, while not being the Reserve Target in WW2.

Personally, I would say that right now (albeit the Peak might have been a few Years ago) is the best "Golden Period" we ever had. Okay, maybe the Buildings look ugly, culturally nothing astonishing happened lately and there weren't as many ground-breaking Discoveries and/or Inventions as opposed to the Time stretching from around 1870 up to the first Half of the 20th Century. But the economical and general Living Situation is still much better than in any other Age and there is no imminent Threat of War.
Jan 11, 2016 1:13 PM

Apr 2015
1400-1600 a era dos descobrimentos - Age of Discovery
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Jan 11, 2016 2:03 PM

Jan 2015
deadoptimist said:
People have tried to debate this for many years, but somehow we're left with the conclusion that maybe never. There's always war, some political problems and stuff.
I thought the era of Peter the Great was when Russia was at it's peak?
Jan 11, 2016 2:18 PM

Jul 2014
Homuranagi said:
deadoptimist said:

It's romanticized, but it was a very hard transformation and people's lives were treated cheap. Simple people called Peter the Great antichrist. Also the whole "European country" stuff was way too fresh and looked comical (ppl were taxed for beards). It's a special time, but hardly the apex. By many people it's seen as one of the points since when everything is wrong.
There's the time of expansions during the reign of the empresses, but it's also a bit funny. Maybe the time of Alexander I, it's the golden age of literature too, but there's the Napoleon invasion...
The culture reached a peak the second time in late XIX century, maybe the time of Alexander II and Alexander III is more tasteful, but Alexander II was killed by terrorists, there's internal crysis already.
Then it's the XX century. Mostly it's shit. Some people say that late USSR years were pretty good (70-80-s), but the others say that USSR should be always seen as hell. 90-s were certainly bad.

And there's this view that it's always bad in Russia, it's extremely popular.
Jan 11, 2016 2:20 PM

Sep 2009
What is my country?
The country my bloodline originates from, the country I live in, the country I was born in, or the country that I am a citizen of?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 11, 2016 8:06 PM
Jun 2013
India

The period between the 4th century and 6th century CE is known as the Golden Age of india because of the large achievements Indians made in the fields of mathematics, astronomy, science, religion and philosophy during the Gupta Empire.
Jan 11, 2016 8:41 PM

Dec 2015
There has never been this "Golden age" you speak of.
Jan 11, 2016 9:21 PM

Sep 2015
Nostalgia is telling to type when i was a kid.
Jan 11, 2016 11:32 PM

Apr 2013
My dads country never had one. No written language, no civilization, got colonized by Arabs, slaves for a few centuries, Europeans came and saved them from the Arabs, slaves for the Europeans for a few centuries, got independence, and they still live in poverty.

Mom's country? Age of discovery, Portuguese Renaissance 15th-17th centuries.

Country of citizenship? Probably post WWII era.
NudeBearJan 11, 2016 11:40 PM
Jan 12, 2016 3:05 AM

Nov 2015
I suppose it depends on how you define golden age, but the most glorious era for my country, the United Kingdom, would probably be the 19th century.

I wont go into too much detail but this period was known as Britain's imperial century and saw the empire basically unrivaled in terms of its dominance after the defeat of Napoleon. With the help of its mighty navy the empire expanded by ~10 million square miles and added ~400 million people to its domain during this century. It was also a rather peaceful period, certainly in Europe.

Though you could say the period between 1500-1922 was also the golden age of England/The UK since during this period England contributed huge amounts to science, literature and law. Great minds such as Newton, Shakespeare, and Darwin lived during this extensive period. 1922 was also the year that the British Empire was at its greatest extent.

Personally I think the best British monarchs and prime ministers would be Elizabeth I (though II is a pretty cool lady), Victoria, Churchill and David Cameron. Just kidding on the latter.

Jan 12, 2016 4:46 AM

Aug 2012
Well, I'm guessing 2000 BC? My country is on the brink of extinction. Greatest leader? Gilgamesh.
Jan 12, 2016 5:57 AM

Jun 2012
Whenever that one Canadian decided he was going to drill a hole in a tree to see if there was something to eat in there...

Maple syrup is probably the best thing to ever happen in Canada.. :/

Or maybe when Tim Horton decided he was going to start his own coffee shop chain.
Jan 12, 2016 7:36 AM

Jan 2015
The 70s and 80s. It has been downhill since.

IntellectualMr said:
Greatest leader? Gilgamesh.

Jan 12, 2016 11:06 AM

Jan 2015
deadoptimist said:
Homuranagi said:

It's romanticized, but it was a very hard transformation and people's lives were treated cheap. Simple people called Peter the Great antichrist. Also the whole "European country" stuff was way too fresh and looked comical (ppl were taxed for beards). It's a special time, but hardly the apex. By many people it's seen as one of the points since when everything is wrong.
There's the time of expansions during the reign of the empresses, but it's also a bit funny. Maybe the time of Alexander I, it's the golden age of literature too, but there's the Napoleon invasion...
The culture reached a peak the second time in late XIX century, maybe the time of Alexander II and Alexander III is more tasteful, but Alexander II was killed by terrorists, there's internal crysis already.
Then it's the XX century. Mostly it's shit. Some people say that late USSR years were pretty good (70-80-s), but the others say that USSR should be always seen as hell. 90-s were certainly bad.

And there's this view that it's always bad in Russia, it's extremely popular.
Oh yeah I heard about the beard tax in history class. He also taxed nobles wearing old Russian-style clothing if I remember correctly.
I assume by empress you mean Catherine the Great. She was the other ruler people always associate the Russian golden age with.
Why would some people consider the 1970s/1980s good? I thought that was one of the worst periods of Russian history, since their industry was dying (thanks to the industrial manufacturing policy), they lost their rank as the other world power, and lost their influence over pretty much all of Eastern Europe.
Jan 12, 2016 2:43 PM

Jul 2014
Homuranagi said:
Oh yeah I heard about the beard tax in history class. He also taxed nobles wearing old Russian-style clothing if I remember correctly.
I assume by empress you mean Catherine the Great. She was the other ruler people always associate the Russian golden age with.
Why would some people consider the 1970s/1980s good? I thought that was one of the worst periods of Russian history, since their industry was dying (thanks to the industrial manufacturing policy), they lost their rank as the other world power, and lost their influence over pretty much all of Eastern Europe.

Yeah, Catherine the Greath also maybe Elisabeth. Her epoch is also lauded, as far as I understand. Though Catherine II's time is later and more advanced.
The lives of the peasants are bad, though.

It all crashed down by the nineties, so at least 70-s were relatively calm. It's called the era of stagnation, and there probably was a lot of rot inside already, but for regular working people these were the years of peace, when you actually could plan something. It's the period of soviet consumerism of sorts, and all these also allowed for some big projects to be completed. It's just that there're a ton of important things that date back to that time (machines, equipment, scientific works, etc).
Of course, many would argue, and I don't know myself. I go by the stories of the people I know and, as I said, by the fact that if there's a fundamental work or a big old sturdy soviet engine still working, these were probably done in the end of the 70-s or start of the 80-s.

I dunno, though maybe 60-s could compete. In 50-s the coutry is still f*** up by war, so no way. (Though frankly it's scarred by it forever.)
deadoptimistJan 12, 2016 2:54 PM
Jan 12, 2016 5:57 PM

Dec 2015
America I would say present day with hesitation. Gas is so low :D

Jan 12, 2016 6:27 PM

Jun 2014
America, by definition, is a Golden Age.

I wouldn't say the U.S. had a golden age throughout the whole nation, but I generally consider the golden age to be the Roaring Twenties. Not ideal on civil rights, but the Harlem Renaissance folks like like they're having fun.
Jan 12, 2016 11:46 PM
Feb 2014
inb4germany:1933-1945

i dont even have to read the responses lets see who posted that kek
Jan 13, 2016 9:09 AM

Apr 2015
1945 It's where we achieve FREEDOM and Independence free from the disgusting loathsome Nippon. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 13, 2016 11:28 AM

Oct 2015
Well I'm half German, half American. For Germany I'd say it was the Imperial Era (1871-1914), Germany was at its height, military and economically. For the US, I'd say the 20s, everything was just peachy then, for the most part...
Jan 13, 2016 11:53 AM

Jan 2008
Well, Rarasu_ already mentioned it. I'd add that our most well known leader probably is Gustavus Adolphus.
For Germany, I'd argue that your best time was under Otto von Bismarck (1871 - 1890), Kaiser Wilhelm II ruined his foreign policy and then the nation with WW 1.
Jan 13, 2016 1:04 PM

Dec 2014
Around 1250~ during the Crusades and the Mongol conquest.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Jan 13, 2016 1:38 PM

Aug 2014
In the US, I think it was the 1920´s. The economy was great. Until the whole stock market crashed in 1929-1930
Jan 13, 2016 2:26 PM
Jan 2015
iSheep said:
Golden Age for the U.S.? In terms of overall, I'd say the '70s. Jobs were everywhere and college was cheap, despite our still-emerging race and female rights.

Today, it's the opposite: no jobs and expensive college but things are much more equal, however I think people tend to push the rights thing too far so I could never tell.

Actually the unemployment right now is lower than any other time in the 1970s.
In the 70s:
1970 4.9
1971 5.9
1972 5.6
1973 4.9
1974 5.6
1975 8.5
1976 7.7
1977 7.1
1978 6.1
1979 5.8
1980 7.1
Continues to rise to 9.6% in the 80s.

Now:
5.3% average of 2015.

College? Sure it has increased but in 1970 the average salary was $6,186.24.
Now it is $50k. Even accounting for inflation 6k in 2015 would be around 35K. I personally think the golden age of the US is now. People forget all the awful things in favor of a few good things in the past. I think the US will be even better down the road.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

23 by Lightskynight »»
5 minutes ago

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them?

barababas - 4 hours ago

9 by SnipeStrike »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Yesterday

22 by monsta666 »»
11 minutes ago

» Hottest non Hollywood actor on YouTube?

scarydragon - 4 hours ago

3 by LoveYourEyes »»
3 hours ago

» What sort of education did you get? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

50 by DesuMaiden »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.