Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 10, 2016 5:38 AM

Feb 2015
Let's start off with the fact that Kaneki is a victim of extreme trauma. He faced abuse when he was young, he faced abuse when against Yamori who was a sadist who enjoyed torturing his victims (Clearly likewise needed help). His identity he was always dependably in question of. The story portray him a powerless individual stuck on being a nice guy till some life changing events happen.

Now..What exactly do Kaneki suffer from? Does he have multiple personalities? Kaneki contrary to the popular belief, do not have multiple personalities. Also known as dissociative identity disorder. Multiple personality disorder in reality does NOT exist. However allegedly it is known to be caused by extreme trauma as a 'defense mechanism' to the trauma. In reality of course much more than just 2 personalities, possibly due to the extreme trauma causing great complications but anyway the whole whole fiction portrayal is bullshit. ..If some person who had been kept as a sex slave for 18 years under someone's apartment (I don't fucking remember the name of this sex offender) did not grow to develop it. Then it sure as fuck don't exist. 18 years beats all years of child abuse anyone could face. Hell.. people are traumatized and get fucked up after 1 incident of sexual abuse. This person faced 18 years of that.

Back to Kaneki, you may be wondering what really is wrong with Kaneki then, if Kaneki does not have multiple personalities, what exactly is wrong with him? Well I'll tell you :). Kaneki suffers from schizophrenia and has strong antisocial tendencies which also point towards Antisocial personality disorder. Kaneki is callous, ruthless and manipulative. He obviously have no empathy which could be seen when he did not hesitate to falter to challenge the will of Yoshimura by trying to kill Eto, Yoshimura being the one person that tried to set Kaneki on a good path. He manipulated Arima and Arima is obviously not aware of the mental challenges Kaneki faces, this could be because Arima does not really give a fuck about Kaneki. He also manipulated Mado dumb fucking daughter that she even willingly forgave Kaneki fully aware he killed her father.

Following this, Kaneki suffer from schizophrenia, he hallucinates..all the Kaneki Haise conversing to each other, trying to accept each other.. him wanting to die anyway from Arima.. All that bullshit, yeah its all in his head. He is suicidal clearly and delusional too. Obviously these were barrier system to help him mentain his very rational sanity and self regard.Thought it truly would be fact his brain in reality not realizing that its what made him lose it in the very place.

And of course it is without a doubt that Kaneki has been abused. But attempting to deal with the mental unsettling problems independently taking no help from anyone else will benefit no one, not Kaneki, not the people who give a fuck about him. Sometimes, you may just always need help..and that's why there are hands that are willing to help you. Kaneki need a psychiatrist who can diagnose him & treat him successfully so that Kaneki can live a happy joyous life. The life he would have probably always wanted to have. Like when he was a 7 year old kid dreaming about living in a palace with some chick.

Kaneki need a psychiatrist who can prescribe him anti psychotic, antidepressants and also involve him in therapy programs designed to help severely depressive people. Cognitive behavioral therapy is one example... Of course people who care about Kaneki could involve themselves in Kaneki therapy. Like Touka and Yomo and whatever the fuck. This would greatly help him and see the world in a better way and know that there are people out there to help him.

Even if all else fails, they could perform Lobotomy on Kaneki. This does still have a chance to work.. and could very well be used as a last resort.

The point is that it will stop Kaneki from being a maniac, who thinks no one can help him, that he is alone in this journey. That he is insane..we can all btw very well agree that he is insane.

Imagine with the treatment Kaneki receives and helps him return back sane how many other people like him could then be treated or looked upon as well. Kaneki will never be happy with the current life he is living. This in his eyes is just retribution for what happened to him.

Really..his schizophrenia, his anti social personality disorder.. it's all his brains defense mechanism. To cope up with all the trauma. Its understandable why its there but fighting by it will only make his mental illnesses worse.

TL:DR. What can rescue Kaneki is therapy and antidepressants.

Btw it always would be interesting to see a psychiatric department in CCG :3 itself designed to understand the psychology behind how these ghouls think and act. It would definately help much more catching behind the ghouls that leave behind the trail of the dead and preventing their next victim from dying.
teruuJan 11, 2016 1:54 PM
Hello
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 2016 6:53 AM

Dec 2014
If I was in charge of CCG I'd never install a psychiatric department, since I need them to be like Juuzou. Crazy and zealous, for better results.

As for Kaneki, he can only help himself.
Jan 10, 2016 9:16 AM

Nov 2015
Nuvviveji said:
If I was in charge of CCG I'd never install a psychiatric department, since I need them to be like Juuzou. Crazy and zealous, for better results.

I agree, we need more Hairus.

teruu said:

Even if all else fails, they could perform Lobotomy on Kaneki. This does still have a chance to work.. and could very well be used as a last resort.

Arima has been providing some excellent lobotomy treatment.

Btw it always would be interesting to see a psychiatric department in CCG :3 itself

They somewhat already do. Read TG Jack. After Arima killed Tanaka (ghoul janitor), Marude mentioned the post-event treatment which likely referred to some psychiatric assistance for people who witness ghoul attacks. He mentioned it after seeing Fura. [Ch.3]

Also, they took into consideration Kaneki's personality and concluded that he needed a maternal role as a leader, Akira.

He has a lot of empathy.

It might not be an entire psychiatric department, but, at least they follow some protocols.

designed to understand the psychology behind how these ghouls think and act. It would definately help much more catching behind the ghouls that leave behind the trail of the dead and preventing their next victim from dying.

The man of the hour, the final villain, V's Leader, the one who knows more about ghouls than ghouls themselves - Ogura Hisashi, published a book on Ghoul Dismantling, Biology, and Psychology. I suggest you check it out if you want to learn more about ghouls.

TL:DR. What can rescue Kaneki is therapy and antidepressants.

All Kaneki needs is a good joke.
Agent-PhrankJan 10, 2016 9:28 AM
Jan 10, 2016 9:34 AM

Aug 2011
teruu said:
Now..What exactly do Kaneki suffer from? Does he have multiple personalities? Kaneki contrary to the popular belief, does not have multiple personalities. Also knows as dissociative identity disorder. Multiple personality disorder in reality does NOT exist. However allegedly it is known to be caused by extreme trauma as a 'defense mechanism' to the trauma. In reality of course much more than 2 personalities are created so the whole fiction portrayal is bullshit. But anyway..if some person who had been kept as a sex slave for 18 years under someone's apartment (I don't fucking remember the name of this sex offender) did not grow to develop it. Then it sure as fuck don't exist. 18 years beats all years of child abuse anyone could face. Hell.. people are traumatized and get fucked up after 1 incident of sexual abuse. This person faced 18 years of that.

Are you really using questionable anecdotal evidence to prove that a widely recognized mental disorder does not exist...?
Jan 10, 2016 3:56 PM

Nov 2014
The only thing that can fix him is getting laid. By Eto. Not Touka.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2016 5:16 PM

Dec 2014
Certainly, Eto is the best choice for such endeavors.
Jan 10, 2016 5:45 PM

Oct 2009
it sure would be interesting for the plot if kaneki had shizophrenia, but we saw a few times as his other personalities took over.

first time from kaneki to white hair
then from white hair to haise sasaki
and now as haise "fell asleep" ( some personalities may fall asleep) we have either white hair again, or some other, even nastier personality.

it may be there are only two personalities; kaneki ken ( the one who forgot all about his mother abusing him etc); who became sasaki after he forgot everything,
and white hair/ the current brutal kaneki with glasses.

someone suffering from multiple personality disorder doest have to have more personalities than two.
Jan 11, 2016 11:53 AM

Dec 2015
Nuvviveji said:

BREH
THAT AVATAR
SO MUCH LOVE FOR HAIRU
I WANT HER BACK
I MEAN I WANT HER TO BE BACK IN THE MANGA

But I want her BACK too.

Touka >All
"I'm not gonna die, I've got a cat that's waiting for me at home"

Jan 11, 2016 1:03 PM

Dec 2014
SleighBells said:
Nuvviveji said:

BREH
THAT AVATAR
SO MUCH LOVE FOR HAIRU
I WANT HER BACK
I MEAN I WANT HER TO BE BACK IN THE MANGA

But I want her BACK too.

Touka >All

Hairu has left us prematurely...
Best girl Matsumae also bit the dust.
It had been a sad day that one.

Eto>=Roma>All
UltvejJan 11, 2016 1:15 PM
Jan 11, 2016 1:50 PM

Feb 2015
This shit need some serious editing.
Hello
Jan 11, 2016 1:50 PM

Feb 2015
This shit need some serious editing.
Hello
Jan 11, 2016 1:53 PM

Mar 2015
They should bring back Hide and start a BL-spinoff.
Jan 13, 2016 12:43 PM

Oct 2009
Helenus said:

hah, TG;re is half shounen ai anyways :P
I mean, we had Tsukiyama crushing on Kaneki and the jealous Kanae trying to eliminate Sasaki
Jan 13, 2016 6:54 PM

Apr 2014
teaknight said:
Helenus said:

I mean, we had Tsukiyama crushing on Kaneki and the jealous Kanae trying to eliminate Sasaki

Karren is confirmed to be a female according to the volume 5 character profile. She isn't a transgender since her reason to crossdress wasn't gender related anyway.
Z4KJan 13, 2016 7:01 PM
Jan 14, 2016 10:12 AM

Oct 2009
Z4k said:
teaknight said:

Karren is confirmed to be a female according to the volume 5 character profile. She isn't a transgender since her reason to crossdress wasn't gender related anyway.

ah, what scanlation do you read? I belive you, but In the one I use to read they didnt translate the profiles.

I think its not so easy with Karrens gender. Of course they are female, its their sex, just like in case of Mutsuki. This doesnt mean they identify as a woman.
(Its hard to say cause theres no offical translation, also I dont know about Japanese transgender-terms, I go along your words that they used 'female" instead "woman")

I belive that wanting to carry on their family name may have been one of the reasons- you can speculate how it works in ghoul families, but you dont need to take your husbands name when you marry in Japan. I've seen a documentary about a woman in a simmilar situation; she was the last one from a prominent family, so she became a matriarch, her husband and her children took on her surname.
As I said before, I think its pretty strange that a woman who crossdresses for family reasons thinks she looks strange in womans clothing. Of course it may be that Karren simply dislikes dresses etc.

Karren doesnt have to be a trans-man, but they dont look like a cisgender woman character to me. I see their gender as open to interpretation.

(Also a small tipp for the future; please don't describe someone as "a transgender" (Its a bit rude!)
-instead write "a transgender person", "trans guy", "she's transgender" etc ^^ )
Jan 14, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2014
Oh Lord....Tumblr is upon us.
Jan 14, 2016 11:46 AM

Nov 2014
teaknight said:
Z4k said:

ah, what scanlation do you read? I belive you, but In the one I use to read they didnt translate the profiles.

I think its not so easy with Karrens gender. Of course they are female, its their sex, just like in case of Mutsuki. This doesnt mean they identify as a woman.
(Its hard to say cause theres no offical translation, also I dont know about Japanese transgender-terms, I go along your words that they used 'female" instead "woman")

I belive that wanting to carry on their family name may have been one of the reasons- you can speculate how it works in ghoul families, but you dont need to take your husbands name when you marry in Japan. I've seen a documentary about a woman in a simmilar situation; she was the last one from a prominent family, so she became a matriarch, her husband and her children took on her surname.
As I said before, I think its pretty strange that a woman who crossdresses for family reasons thinks she looks strange in womans clothing. Of course it may be that Karren simply dislikes dresses etc.

Karren doesnt have to be a trans-man, but they dont look like a cisgender woman character to me. I see their gender as open to interpretation.

(Also a small tipp for the future; please don't describe someone as "a transgender" (Its a bit rude!)
-instead write "a transgender person", "trans guy", "she's transgender" etc ^^ )

S U P E R A I D S

Must contain at least 15 characters w/e
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2016 12:50 PM

Apr 2014
teaknight said:

From volume 5

----
Jan 14, 2016 1:01 PM

Oct 2009
Nuvviveji said:

Im trans myself, I know about gender related stuff.
Also, excuuuuuse me for stating my opinion about a fictional characters gender, a topic Im personally interested in. On a forum related to discussing TK;re.

Kvothe51 said:
S U P E R A I D S

bite me
teaknightJan 14, 2016 1:06 PM
Jan 14, 2016 1:06 PM

Oct 2009
Z4k said:
teaknight said:

From volume 5

----

ah, I was thinking you meant this;

thanks anyways
Jan 14, 2016 1:19 PM

Nov 2014
teaknight said:
Nuvviveji said:

Also, excuuuuuse me for stating my opinion about a fictional characters gender, a topic Im personally interested in. On a forum related to discussing TK;re.

Kvothe51 said:
S U P E R A I D S

bite me

I prefer not to

teaknight said:
Also, excuuuuuse me for stating my opinion about a fictional characters gender

It's not really about opinion here. It's simple fact.
Jan 14, 2016 1:36 PM

Dec 2014
I don't mind discussions about gender, what annoys me is that you (read: Tumblr) seep into every single little hole, fictional work or anything and find something that COULD or COULD NOT 'shill' (for the lack of a better word) your ideas.

As for Karren, she made a decision to live as a man, she isn't one, and she did it reluctantly. She wanted to be a 'normal' female which can be seen in the scenes where she wore that dress.
Jan 14, 2016 1:42 PM

Oct 2009
Kvothe51 said:
teaknight said:

bite me

I prefer not to

teaknight said:
Also, excuuuuuse me for stating my opinion about a fictional characters gender

hah, how cute, you think you can tell ppl what they can speculate on? welcome to the world wide web!

if it wasnt clear before; fuck off bro.
Jan 14, 2016 1:49 PM

Oct 2009
Nuvviveji said:
I don't mind discussions about gender, what annoys me is that you (read: Tumblr) seep into every single little hole, fictional work or anything and find something that COULD or COULD NOT 'shill' (for the lack of a better word) your ideas.

Wow. Not only I seem to represent a site I personally belive is stupid, now I do some transgender propaganda too?
I'll tell you I like TG're for many reasons, one of them is how Ishida adresses gender, crosdressing etc. Becaus this are topics I can relate to. But its sure like hell I won't be discussing them with you now.

Nuvviveji said:
As for Karren, she made a decision to live as a man, she isn't one, and she did it reluctantly. She wanted to be a 'normal' female which can be seen in the scenes where she wore that dress.

Well, I see it differently. Lets ask the author! Oh wait, we fucking cant!
teaknightJan 14, 2016 1:59 PM
Jan 14, 2016 2:12 PM

Nov 2014
teaknight said:
Kvothe51 said:

I prefer not to

hah, how cute, you think you can tell ppl what they can speculate on? welcome to the world wide web!

if it wasnt clear before; fuck off bro.

Someone has anger issues

That's cute.
Jan 14, 2016 2:25 PM

Apr 2014
teaknight said:
Nuvviveji said:

You see it wrong then. Karren literally states that she chose to replace her brothers as the "heir" only for the sake of restoring the Rosewald family and to fulfill her father's wishes.

She has never showed any interest in being a male other than to honour her family's wishes.
Jan 14, 2016 2:28 PM

Nov 2014
Z4k said:
teaknight said:

You see it wrong then. Karren literally states that she chose to replace her brothers as the "heir" only for the sake of restoring the Rosewald family and to fulfill her father's wishes.

She has never showed any interest in being a male other than to honour her family's wishes.

Don't take away his right to speculate, you bully!
Kvothe51Jan 14, 2016 3:29 PM
Jan 14, 2016 2:44 PM

Dec 2014
teaknight said:
Nuvviveji said:

Wow. Not only I seem to represent a site I personally belive is stupid, now I do some transgender propaganda too?
I'll tell you I like TG're for many reasons, one of them is how Ishida adresses gender, crosdressing etc. Becaus this are topics I can relate to. But its sure like hell I won't be discussing them with you now.

Nuvviveji said:

I'm glad you don't want to discuss, honestly. I don't have the strength for this bullshit.
Mar 14, 2016 4:12 PM
Mar 23, 2016 8:22 AM

Feb 2015
Agent-Phrank said:
Another mention of the rehab program:

I'm the first one to ever bring the idea.

Anyway: I emailed a psychology professor from Oxford and copy pasted to him the entire Tokyo Ghoul plot about Kaneki. I then asked him what exactly does Kaneki suffer from?

His specualtion was that Kaneki suffers from multiple mental illnesses, for one, he believes Kaneki is autistic. I asked if it's the low end or the high end, and believe it or not..he said low end.

He also informed that Kaneki suffered extreme trauma and has multiple personality disorder (but it is not as realistic as the disorder is in real life) and some symptoms of PTSD but not completely. The most stunning thing he said was...KANEKI HAS TEXTBOOK BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER. This shocked me but when I read about it, it made sense. I guess Ishida really did dig deep into the character's personality.

In the end, I guess Kaneki isn't as smart as he may seem. I feel pity for the poor soul, having a low iq with all the emotional trauma, even hallucinating..damn!
Hello
Mar 23, 2016 8:32 AM

Feb 2015
And I just read this post again. Goddamn! It need some serious editing but I'm too fucking lazy to bother myself.

Oh well, still can't believe I wrote such a shit fucking essay
Hello
Mar 23, 2016 8:39 AM

Nov 2014
teruu said:
Agent-Phrank said:
Another mention of the rehab program:

Anyway: I emailed a psychology professor from Oxford and copy pasted to him the entire Tokyo Ghoul plot about Kaneki. I then asked him what exactly does Kaneki suffer from?

His specualtion was that Kaneki suffers from multiple mental illnesses, for one, he believes Kaneki is autistic. I asked if it's the low end or the high end, and believe it or not..he said low end.

He also informed that Kaneki suffered extreme trauma and has multiple personality disorder (but it is not as realistic as the disorder is in real life) and some symptoms of PTSD but not completely. The most stunning thing he said was...KANEKI HAS TEXTBOOK BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER. This shocked me but when I read about it, it made sense. I guess Ishida really did dig deep into the character's personality.

In the end, I guess Kaneki isn't as smart as he may seem. I feel pity for the poor soul, having a low iq with all the emotional trauma, even hallucinating..damn!

I'm going to comment on your profile
Mar 23, 2016 8:40 AM

Feb 2015
Kvothe51 said:
teruu said:

Okay Mr.Badass. I'm going to block you.
Hello
Mar 23, 2016 8:42 AM

Nov 2014
teruu said:
Kvothe51 said:

But I didn't even comment on your profile
Mar 23, 2016 8:46 AM

Feb 2015
Kvothe51 said:
teruu said:

But I didn't even comment on your profile

Then I'm not going to block you, sir.
Hello
Apr 24, 2016 4:38 AM

Nov 2014
Maybe what you say is true , but we all know Kaneki tragedy will continue until the very end , it's not much chance that he will return to anteiku and all will be good.
Apr 24, 2016 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
Kvothe51 said:
The only thing that can fix him is getting laid. By Eto. Not Touka.
Nuvviveji said:

These are the correct answers ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@teaknight
Mutsuki's father was insane and probably a rapist. It caused her to fear exposing her sex, because she considers it to be a weakness / something that is best to keep hidden because otherwise bad shit happens. Male-persona is a shield for her. Karren on the other hand was from a traditional and patriarchal family, and carried on her duty for them with a cost of her own desires and wishes.

tl;dr It's not about transgendered people, it's about complexes related to having a female sex. Some western SJWs doesn't seem to get this. Another classic example of this would be Naoto Shirogane's case.

edited to add this: there's nothing wrong with "headcanons" and such. Just don't force others to swallow them.
removed-userApr 24, 2016 8:16 AM
Apr 24, 2016 10:01 AM

Sep 2013
A good beating to the head or brain surgery to get rid of Haise.
Apr 28, 2016 9:07 AM

Oct 2013
ichii_1 said:

And also a hair dye
Apr 30, 2016 1:59 PM

Feb 2015
physicschild said:
ichii_1 said:

And also a hair dye

Hair color means nothing to the mental health of Kaneki.
Hello
May 1, 2016 2:46 AM

Oct 2015
All ken needs is to eat a snickers after the clowns, v and Arima tell him "its a prank bro".
May 6, 2016 5:48 AM
Aug 2012
Cyborg_Dragon said:
All ken needs is to eat a snickers after the clowns, v and Arima tell him "its a prank bro".

That's the joke. He can't eat snickers lol.
May 7, 2016 7:57 AM

Oct 2015
GodofWar2015 said:
Cyborg_Dragon said:

That's the joke. He can't eat snickers lol.

omg I didnt realise that.
Feb 18, 2018 11:28 PM

Feb 2015
Kvothe51 said:
teruu said:

What do you think about the professor's analysis though?
Hello
Feb 19, 2018 10:36 AM

Oct 2017
Kaneki is a moron who just needs to be put out of his misery at this point
Feb 19, 2018 6:49 PM

Feb 2015
Aardwolf94 said:

Why do you say so?

If you mean in the sense he's a dumbass, yes he is quite a moron. But maybe you mean something else, explain yourself sir!
Hello
Feb 19, 2018 7:38 PM

Oct 2015
A good sex with Touka

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Feb 19, 2018 7:41 PM

Dec 2017
Amen. That pussy always needed some pussy.
Feb 22, 2018 4:09 PM

Oct 2017
teruu said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Why do you say so?

If you mean in the sense he's a dumbass, yes he is quite a moron. But maybe you mean something else, explain yourself sir!

Yeah I mean that he is a dumbass who never learns from his mistakes. He used to feel relatable and was well developed (or so I thought) but then the mangaka just regressed him whenever the plot demanded it.

At this point his inner monologue's and new personalities have no impact anymore.
Feb 22, 2018 4:11 PM

Feb 2015
Aardwolf94 said:
teruu said:

Why do you say so?

Yeah I mean that he is a dumbass who never learns from his mistakes. He used to feel relatable and was well developed (or so I thought) but then the mangaka just regressed him whenever the plot demanded it.

At this point his inner monologue's and new personalities have no impact anymore.

It's always been like that. Kaneki gets beaten up badly, goes into psychological mode where people tell him emotional stuff. Beta readers get impressed by that and then Kaneki comes back to kick ass. It's like the 5th time this has been happening

Furuta is where its at. Although now I think ghouls and humans will all untie to defeat V and Furuta.
Hello
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.