Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2016 10:15 AM

Jan 2009
Hey tsuyokunaru.

First off, thanks for running the Manga Reading Challenge. This is the first time I've seen this competition but I'm looking to try it out. I did have a question though: from the adaptations category "Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel", are visual novels as original sources allowed as well or are only these 3 sources allowed?

Edit: I originally posted this on your wall, but I found this thread immediately afterwards. Apologies about that.
darkliteJan 9, 2016 10:24 AM
Jan 9, 2016 10:58 AM

Mar 2015
lequack said:
Ephemerals said:

Can someone also recommend me something? ^^

I see Akira is on your PTW. Read the manga instead a lot of stuff has been skipped in the movie.

Also since you liked Slam Dunk you could try Real. Its by the same author however it is still ongoing.

Thanks, I will read Akira then instead of watching the movie.

CodingSession said:
Fellow manga readers, please recommend me some titles for these challenges

These are the remaining:
 [ ] Read a manga with a non-human main character: Beelzebub
 [ ] Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized: Haikyuu
 [ ] Read a manga that has not been adapted in any way: Kimi no Knife
LionesscreJan 9, 2016 3:00 PM
--my heart's a hieroglyph, it speaks in tongues
Jan 9, 2016 11:10 AM
Mar 2015
CodingSession said:
Fellow manga readers, please recommend me some titles for these challenges:
 [ ] Read a manga with a non-human main character

Gon. It is about a dinosaur doing dinosaur things. Great art and no dialogue. The entire story is told through the drawings.
Jan 9, 2016 11:56 AM

Oct 2007
darklite said:
Hey tsuyokunaru.

First off, thanks for running the Manga Reading Challenge. This is the first time I've seen this competition but I'm looking to try it out. I did have a question though: from the adaptations category "Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel", are visual novels as original sources allowed as well or are only these 3 sources allowed?

Edit: I originally posted this on your wall, but I found this thread immediately afterwards. Apologies about that.

Visual novels could technically count as a videogame (at least in my opinion), so sure, you can use that.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 9, 2016 12:06 PM

Oct 2009
ohh i was waiting for this year challenge ! (just in time as i just finished my final exam yesterday XD)

i'm gonna try finish the challenge this year ! *fighting mode on*
" Have some adventure while you can, and then start to figure things out"
5 Centimeters per Second

Jan 9, 2016 3:36 PM

Aug 2015
Can someone recommend me any manga? :3
English is not my native tongue, so if I make any mistakes please let me know. :)
Jan 9, 2016 4:13 PM

Mar 2013
Kuruko No Basket
Haikyuu!!
Jan 9, 2016 4:18 PM

Mar 2015
lilygami said:

Tokyo Crazy Paradise, Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, Reimei no Arcana, Battle Royale, Sayonara Kodomo-tachi & Game Over

Annuvin said:
Thanks a lot. I know Aku no Hana but never heard about Oyaji, sounds interesting.

You're welcome :)
--my heart's a hieroglyph, it speaks in tongues
Jan 9, 2016 5:09 PM

Jan 2012
@Halfsleeper
@Sooru
@Ephemerals
@lequack
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check them out.

lilygami said:

On your PTR:
Black Lagoon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Vinland Saga

Personal recommendations:
Gisèle Alain, Koe no Katachi, Tableau Gate
Jan 9, 2016 5:34 PM
Jun 2012
Would anyone mind helping me with this one?
Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant
Jan 9, 2016 8:50 PM

Jul 2015
Can we still use a manga that was deleted from the MAL database during the course of the challenge?

How can I smile when I am filled with so much sorrow?
It is natural -- you need to smile to your sorrow because you are more than your sorrow. (Thích Nhất Hạnh)
Jan 9, 2016 10:35 PM

Aug 2012
c4479 said:
Can we still use a manga that was deleted from the MAL database during the course of the challenge?

Yes, as long as you link the manga from a different source.
Jan 9, 2016 10:55 PM

Mar 2007
Can someone give me some recommendations for these two please? Preferably something that isn't too long and is complete.

- Read a manga that has not been adapted in any way
- Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant
Jan 10, 2016 12:08 AM

Jan 2012
yube said:

School Rumble

Fire-Dragon said:
- Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Girl Friends (no adaptation, AFAIK)
Gunslinger Girl

Both of you have some seriously impressive backlogs.
Jan 10, 2016 12:12 AM

Mar 2013
Jan 10, 2016 2:03 AM

Apr 2013
M00ner said:
c4479 said:

Yes, as long as you link the manga from a different source.

You don't really have to link it, just put the name.. :)
Jan 10, 2016 4:53 AM
Mar 2015
Can someone please give me recommendations for a josei manga? there is nothing on my PTR btw so just recommend something that you liked

I would prefer if the manga is not a tragedy and is complete (something similar to Nodame Cantabile)
Jan 10, 2016 5:19 AM

Oct 2007
lequack said:
Can someone please give me recommendations for a josei manga? there is nothing on my PTR btw so just recommend something that you liked

I would prefer if the manga is not a tragedy and is complete (something similar to Nodame Cantabile)

Ashita no Ousama is somewhat similar in terms of mood and it's not as long.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 10, 2016 5:36 AM
Mar 2015
tsuyokunaru said:
lequack said:

Ashita no Ousama is somewhat similar in terms of mood and it's not as long.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.
Jan 10, 2016 8:30 AM
Jun 2012
CodingSession said:
yube said:

School Rumble

Thank you for the help!
Jan 10, 2016 8:45 AM

Apr 2011
Just a question. Let's consider this; I asked for manga recommendations some time ago (for the sake of the question, before this year's challenge started) and got some. One of the people who recommended me manga back then is participating in this year's challenge. Can I use one of his/her recommended manga from back then for the challenge "Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant"?

EDIT: Actually forget it. Just recommend me something short, not focused on romance and has finished publishing. I'm thinking Sports or Mystery is what I'd like it to focus on, though anything's fine (except romance).
yhunataJan 10, 2016 8:54 AM
Jan 10, 2016 9:28 AM

Jan 2010
yhunata said:

EDIT: Actually forget it. Just recommend me something short, not focused on romance and has finished publishing. I'm thinking Sports or Mystery is what I'd like it to focus on, though anything's fine (except romance).

Pluto (or Seison Life in case you want something shorter)
Jan 10, 2016 10:18 AM

Jun 2014
help me out with these pls, under 100 chapters, no romance or ongoing, thanks~

Read a manga that has not been adapted in any way

Look alive sunshine!
The future is bulletproof
The aftermath is secondary
Its time to do it now and do it loud
Killjoys! Make some noise!
Jan 10, 2016 10:33 AM

Apr 2011
gummyghost said:
help me out with these pls, under 100 chapters, no romance or ongoing, thanks~

1. Read a manga that has not been adapted in any way
2. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

1. Stealth Symphony
2. Superior
Jan 10, 2016 11:34 AM

May 2013
>>> Kakukaku Shikajika <<<

Finished it at 2 a.m. even though I got work in the next morning because I just didn't feel like stopping, but it's worth it.
10/10. Why not?
- Interesting characters (both the girl and her teacher, especially the teacher).
- Amazing story.
- Motivational.
- The humor is funny.
- No forced drama, at all, obviously.
- Make me reflect on my life. T_T

For everyone who haven't read it, fit this in in your challenge, be it for rating above 8.5, award winning, professional's life, demographic. Read it, just read it. I'm not even exaggerating just to please Dullboy. Read this, just read it, for humanity.
Jan 10, 2016 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
FlameWingman21 said:

I'm definitely going to read it for this challenge, I haven't read any of the author's works yet. Apparently she has one of the highest page counts of all mangaka, or something like that, which I thought is pretty cool.

There's a documentary about mangaka called Urasawa Naoki no Manben, and each episode focuses on a certain mangaka, and one of the episodes focuses on her. Here's the first episode.

Oh, and can someone give me a rec for the below challenge:

I don't care about the genre or demographic or anything. I just want something short (1-10 volumes) and good.
removed-userJan 10, 2016 12:05 PM
Jan 10, 2016 1:05 PM

Apr 2014
FlameWingman21 said:
For everyone who haven't read it, fit this in in your challenge, be it for rating above 8.5, award winning, professional's life, demographic. Read it, just read it. I'm not even exaggerating just to please Dullboy. Read this, just read it, for humanity.
hahaha . Well I'm glad you liked it that much . It's not easy to do an autobiography, but she managed to do it perfectly in my opinion . If you want to read more autobiographical manga , you might want to read "Gekiga Hyouryuu" . It's very different , but it's extremely interesting , I personaly learned a lot about the history of manga reading it .

Berserk said:

Oh, and can someone give me a rec
The fact that your manga list is private make me unsure if you won't have already read what I'll propose you , but well I'll try :
- Planetes (same author as Vinland saga if you know it) . Very very good in my opinion .

- Blame! (or Alabara . Something comming from the mangaka at least if you haven't read any of him , it's an experience to try I think)

tsuyokunaru : if I recall correctly , you seemed to be interested in reading Yuureitou , so I thought I would tell you that the manga is finish now . If you try it , I'll be extremely interested in knowing your opinion about it , because it's really a strange and peculiar manga . I would recommend it to any other challenger that need a "horror" or "mystery" manga by the way .
Jan 10, 2016 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
Thanks, both sound great.
Jan 10, 2016 9:38 PM

Oct 2009
recommend me a manga for the challenge please?
something horror/psychological and not more than 100 chapters
" Have some adventure while you can, and then start to figure things out"
5 Centimeters per Second

Jan 10, 2016 9:56 PM

Mar 2007
CodingSession said:
Fire-Dragon said:

Girl Friends (no adaptation, AFAIK)
Gunslinger Girl

Both of you have some seriously impressive backlogs.

Thankyou so much for this! ^-^
Jan 11, 2016 1:21 AM

Jan 2014
Hey everyone - can I use manhwa instead of manga for a couple of the challenges?
Also I'd like to get some ideas for the following please :)?
» Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic
» Read a manga that has not been adapted in any way
» Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant
Jan 11, 2016 1:26 AM

Jan 2014
haru_chan90 said:
recommend me a manga for the challenge please?
something horror/psychological and not more than 100 chapters

Uzumaki- horror + psychological
Doubt - horror
Nijigahara Holograph - a more psychological read which you can do (and should do) in one sitting but often people complain its not very straightforward, up to your personal preferences
Jan 11, 2016 1:27 AM

Feb 2015
Hilfe! Onegai! Muchas gracias.

» Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized.
» Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant.

It must not be a shounen or shoujo demographic, one-shot, and on-going. Thanks good men.
Jan 11, 2016 6:08 AM

Oct 2007
@sorafleurs Yes, you can use manhwa and it doesn't even have to be in the MAL database, no problem. As for recommendations:

» Read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic (Solanin, Sakamichi no Apollon)
» Read a manga that has not been adapted in any way (from your PTR Bitter Virgin, Prunus Girl, Hana no Namae, as far as I know none of this have been adapted.
» Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant No Color because it's my favorite BL manga... but you can take a rec from someone else if you don't want to read this lol

@Monstrum Phew. The first one might be a little hard since all the one-shots to serialization stories I know of are shounen (Beelzebub, Koe no Katachi, Medaka Box, One Piece, Naruto, etc) but maybe someone else will have a rec that fits your criteria.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 11, 2016 6:54 AM

May 2013
Berserk said:
FlameWingman21 said:

I'm definitely going to read it for this challenge, I haven't read any of the author's works yet. Apparently she has one of the highest page counts of all mangaka, or something like that, which I thought is pretty cool.

There's a documentary about mangaka called Urasawa Naoki no Manben, and each episode focuses on a certain mangaka, and one of the episodes focuses on her. Here's the first episode.

Thank you for that. Just watched it. Amazing. Wonder how she could have most page counts. The mangaka of Doraemon or Kochikame should have more, no? Most importantly, she's pretty. XD

I see there's also Asano Inio's episode. Will definitely watch that later. I want to try Oyasumi Punpun once more. Hope by watching it, I feel more motivated. Couldn't handle it the first time.

Dullboy said:
FlameWingman21 said:
hahaha . Well I'm glad you liked it that much . It's not easy to do an autobiography, but she managed to do it perfectly in my opinion . If you want to read more autobiographical manga , you might want to read "Gekiga Hyouryuu" . It's very different , but it's extremely interesting , I personaly learned a lot about the history of manga reading it .

Yes, simply magnificent. Nothing I dislike about this manga at all, well, maybe except that she talked bad about herself too much.

Added to plan to read. Will surely check that out. Thanks.
Jan 11, 2016 7:05 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I'm still looking for:

» Read a manga with a main cast mainly of one gender
» Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships
» Read a manga with an archetype as a main character

Anything that is safe for work would be great. I can read a little in my downtime.

Thanks!
Jan 11, 2016 7:32 AM

Jan 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
@sorafleurs Yes, you can use manhwa and it doesn't even have to be in the MAL database, no problem. As for recommendations:

Arigatou gozaimasu :) I'll use all your recs, including your rec for No Color cus I'm a fan of BL lol.
Jan 11, 2016 8:21 AM
Mar 2015
Brand said:
I'm still looking for:

You could try One Outs (main cast consists mainly of males) and for the non romantic thing Ping Pong.
I haven't read the manga for these but I liked the anime versions of both of them.
Jan 11, 2016 8:50 AM

Jul 2013
For the PTR list challenge I guess I need to actually use that feature and let it sit for awhile huh :|
Jan 11, 2016 10:50 AM

Sep 2011
Could one of you be so kind and help me with this one please.
Jan 11, 2016 11:49 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
aemiliuz said:

Since you like flat, I'd recommend My Girl, which has the same type of relaxing and heartwarming tone.

You seem to like mystery/action too so you might find Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna enjoyable :) This one's a longer read though, that's why I suggest My Girl first. Take you pick, or neither at all if they don't interest you.
Jan 11, 2016 12:12 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
lequack said:
Brand said:
I'm still looking for:

You could try One Outs (main cast consists mainly of males) and for the non romantic thing Ping Pong.
I haven't read the manga for these but I liked the anime versions of both of them.

While, these are good suggestions. I finished the Ping Pong anime a couple of weeks ago, so it is a bit to fresh in my mind to read. I like some time in-between when read/watching adaptions/original source materials.

As for One-outs since it looks like I'd have to watch the anime that is out for now. I am doing the anime challenge also and I have everything picked out for that already so I couldn't squeeze it in, right now.
Jan 11, 2016 2:31 PM

Feb 2014
I need some help whit these challenges. not to long mangas if possible. thanks in advance.

» Read a manga with an archetype as a main character
» Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel
» Read a manga that starts with the same last letter of your username
Jan 11, 2016 2:33 PM

Sep 2011
tingy said:
aemiliuz said:

Since you like flat, I'd recommend My Girl, which has the same type of relaxing and heartwarming tone.

You seem to like mystery/action too so you might find Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna enjoyable :) This one's a longer read though, that's why I suggest My Girl first. Take you pick, or neither at all if they don't interest you.

Thanks, I'm gonna go with My girl (really like this artist) and since Spiral seems interesting i'll take it for the thriller mystery challenge...once again thanks.
Jan 11, 2016 3:23 PM

Jun 2014
still need help with
>Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

thank you u.u

Look alive sunshine!
The future is bulletproof
The aftermath is secondary
Its time to do it now and do it loud
Killjoys! Make some noise!
Jan 11, 2016 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
Could I get a few recommendations for these categories please? Thanks!
 » Read a manga with children as the main cast
 » Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Djoker123 said:
» Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel

Shiki, Sugar Dark, Tsukihime, or A Lollypop or a Bullet maybe?

Djoker123 said:
» Read a manga that starts with the same last letter of your username

IIRC from earlier in the thread, you can use R since yours ends with a number otherwise. Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, Rose of Versailles, & RG Veda are both pretty good mid-length series even if they aren't your usual thing.

(And if you do need something that starts with a 3, I've heard good things about 3-gatsu no Lion)

gummyghost said:
still need help with

thank you u.u

Annarasumanara it might be up your alley since you seem to have some seinen (contemporary) fantasy rated pretty well (and horror, but idk much about the ones you like there). Maybe Kiss Wood too or Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan or My Girl for something kind of different.
Jan 11, 2016 6:08 PM

Apr 2013
Hey there! Could anyone help me out on this one? :)

Don't mind the length, but I expect a great read.. :D
Jan 11, 2016 6:36 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
hamaon
 » Read a manga with children as the main cast: Otaku no Musume-san
 » Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant: Kimi wa Pet (one of my all time favs)

HeNrYTG50
>Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant: Azumanga Daioh (Another fav)
Jan 12, 2016 5:34 AM

Apr 2013
Brand said:

HeNrYTG50
>Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant: Azumanga Daioh (Another fav)

Thanks, but I already have that for Read a 4koma.. :s
Jan 12, 2016 5:52 AM

Feb 2015
HeNrYTG50 said:
Hey there! Could anyone help me out on this one? :)

Don't mind the length, but I expect a great read.. :D

Monster. Rest assured for the greatest read of your life.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is the hentai manga you've "used" the most?

Shizuna - Feb 5

17 by JaniSIr »»
3 hours ago

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 16

12 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
4 hours ago

» My manga room

fc_dean - Yesterday

2 by DukeLess1 »»
7 hours ago

» Why so much ntr in manhwa?

TheRacist11 - May 12

3 by JaniSIr »»
Yesterday, 6:24 PM

» Fire Force/Soul Eater connection- Spoilers*

Fullmetaldak - Yesterday

0 by Fullmetaldak »»
Yesterday, 6:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.