Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 29, 2015 4:45 PM

Sep 2014
shuryukan said:
Fairy tail - if you can't tell which episodes are filler, I really don't know what to say lol. That's just your lack of perception.
Of course I wouldn't notice, being an anime watcher. I actually thought fillers were fun and interesting.
Do you think the production make up the fillers themselves?! Of course they work with the mangaka, meaning that he contributed in them as well so it wouldn't make a lot of difference from whether it was original content or not.
Dec 29, 2015 4:45 PM
Mar 2013
shuryukan said:
JD2411 said:
I didn't know they were fillers when I first watched FT either...

DGM has really good fillers though. I can vouch for that.

You didn't know eps 125-150 and ~205-225 were fillers?

Are you guys trolling me now, or were you guys oblivious to the random changes in storyline and overall decrease in quality of production?
Admittedly, it was when I was relatively new to anime. The first arc was alright IMO, I honestly had no idea it wasn't canon. I think the storyline was relatively consistent since it just recycled old villains and touched on Lucy's past.

I knew about the second arc though
Dec 29, 2015 4:46 PM

Jan 2013
shuryukan said:
Did you ever stop to think and realize that manga "fillers" don't ever last more than a few chapters, if that. Compared to, say Naruto shitpooden, which had 8 canon episodes this year. 44/52(?) episodes were filler. Nobody is going to drop a manga with hundreds of chapters, over 1 or 2 fillers here and there. That's a ridiculous comparison.

Oh my goodness! 8 canon episodes in Shippunden? if that is true I would go crazy.
Dec 29, 2015 4:48 PM

Jan 2013
yaoi_renee said:
I never watched Naruto, but I would probably enjoy it having not read the manga. What if it was an original source-less series?! Nobody would even bother with complaining because those episodes would become canon as well. Maybe I'm being "closed minded" but as I have previously stated, if I liked an anime, I would enjoy it filler or not.

You're completely fine with a series being at the peak of its climax, and then suddenly turning to a completely unrelated filler arc with decreases quality in art and animation for an entire year? You must have high tolerance. (also why I'm utterly confused why you don't understand why people hate dislike fillers, which is why I said you're being closeminded)

Rushing through an anime is the worst thing a person can do to himself. It makes them dislike it; and that's where I was getting at. I'm not going to force people to like fillers, but they shouldn't bash an anime for having a lot of them, as long as they make sense which most of them do.

That is your opinion. Plenty of people love marathoning an anime. I myself just marathoned Haikyuu both anime and manga, and love it to no end. I'm not sure where you came to the conclusion that rushing=coming to dislike.

If fillers hinder one's enjoyment, why should one not judge taking those fillers into consideration?
Dec 29, 2015 4:48 PM

Sep 2014
radle said:
shuryukan said:
Did you ever stop to think and realize that manga "fillers" don't ever last more than a few chapters, if that. Compared to, say Naruto shitpooden, which had 8 canon episodes this year. 44/52(?) episodes were filler. Nobody is going to drop a manga with hundreds of chapters, over 1 or 2 fillers here and there. That's a ridiculous comparison.

Oh my goodness! 8 canon episodes in Shippunden? if that is true I would go crazy.
But you didn't even notice that yourself T-T Unless you were being sarcastic then please ignore me ^^;
Dec 29, 2015 4:53 PM

Jan 2013
I stopped watching Shippuden long ago that is why I was shocked when I read that. I can barely keep up each season for the past 3 years as I am about to finish up Heavy Object. I had plans on rewatching it but only after looking for information on what episodes are fillers to completely avoid them and likewise for other series I haven't watched at all like Fairy Tale, One Piece, and Hunter x Hunter and the rest of Bleach. Another show that has hit fillers is World Trigger and I am disliking it already.
Dec 29, 2015 4:55 PM

Sep 2014
shuryukan said:
You're completely fine with a series being at the peak of its climax, and then suddenly turning to a completely unrelated filler arc with decreases quality in art and animation for an entire year? You must have high tolerance.
I heard about the Bleach fillers, and that would be devastating, but like I said, as long as the fillers are properly placed (between arcs or in certain times of an episode..ect) I wouldn't be mad. But of course, if they cut through an important fight (like they did with Mahou Sensou but in the form of seasons) I would be mad.

shuryukan said:
That is your opinion. Plenty of people love marathoning an anime. I myself just marathoned Haikyuu both anime and manga, and love it to no end. I'm not sure where you came to the conclusion that rushing=coming to dislike.
Marathoning and rushing are different. I finished Gintama in merely 2 weeks, but I don't hate it. Rushing means you're just trying to get over with the anime because you're bored of it.
Dec 29, 2015 4:56 PM

Oct 2014
I'll watch filler material if it's entertaining or there are a bunch of good character moments. For instance, the G-8 arc in One Piece is pretty watchable. And sometimes filler material can go beyond the vision of the original author in ways that can be interesting and thought-provoking, such as in the sixth One Piece movie or second half of the 2003 FMA series (can't say I liked all of it, but there were some cool moments). Seeing a different twist on another person's vision has the potential to be enriching. However, most of the time it just results in lazy, underwhelming writing that does nothing to enrich the viewer and lowers the integrity of the show.
Dec 29, 2015 5:02 PM

Jan 2013
yaoi_renee said:
I heard about the Bleach fillers, and that would be devastating, but like I said, as long as the fillers are properly placed (between arcs or in certain times of an episode..ect) I wouldn't be mad. But of course, if they cut through an important fight (like they did with Mahou Sensou but in the form of seasons) I would be mad.

So you would be mad as well. There's your answer on why people typically dislike fillers.

Like other users have said, there are always exceptions, and you yourself have noted that fillers can also be entertaining as well.

Marathoning and rushing are different. I finished Gintama in merely 2 weeks, but I don't hate it. Rushing means you're just trying to get over with the anime because you're bored of it.

Is that so? Pardon me, I was not familiar that the term was used in that context. If that is the case, I agree, it is better to drop the series. In the case of fillers causing one to become bored of the series, where the person still enjoys the original storyline, they may still continue the series for that purpose.
Dec 29, 2015 5:04 PM

Apr 2015
shuvuuia said:
second half of the 2003 FMA series

But FMA's second half original content Is neither devoid of progression or made to fill time, and Is actually part of the main dish.

watdefuq.
Dec 29, 2015 5:06 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Since fillers aren't part of main story, I usually skip them if they weren't interesting at all, I only watch what makes me interested.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 29, 2015 5:26 PM

Jul 2015
I like a plot that progresses. I'm just not into long shows. I have the attention span of a goldfish and I need something new constantly. Even if it's a good show, I'd probably walk into a busy road if I made myself sit through 200 decent episodes of shushkabub filler. I need a change of pace, change of setting. Filler doesn't do it for me
Dec 29, 2015 5:27 PM

Mar 2015
yaoi_renee said:
gabrielrroiz said:
because they are useless and boring
They wouldn't be boring if you liked the characters and were invested enough in the anime itself.

this responsesdrstjrrt

rty
jds
rjk
dryj
ytr
私はサイタマ様が大好きです。私は彼の雌犬です!
Dec 29, 2015 5:54 PM

Aug 2012
The only fillers watchable for me would be One Piece and Bleach. Heck, I didn't even know One Piece had fillers until I randomly looked up the different arcs and realized; that's how awesome they were. And I really liked Bleach's fillers as well. Naruto's fillers make me want to gouge my eyes out; they're just plain unnecessary honestly. Like, I can't even remember what the last canon episode was about, that's how long ago it was!
Dec 29, 2015 5:58 PM

Jul 2013
It depends on the filler for me. There was only one filler I tolerated in Bleach, because it was entertaining. But to answer the question, fillers are pointless ways to draw away from the plot until the author figures out what to do next (instead of the usual hiatus) or until the manga is caught up. I'd prefer hiatus over filler any day.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Dec 29, 2015 6:07 PM

Nov 2013
Fillers are boring. A waste of my time. Can't really understand why someone would watch them honestly ._.
Dec 29, 2015 6:11 PM

Aug 2007
People wants to see a manga adaption on anime, so, fillers are pintless and usless. Sometimes are annoying because we don't know when they will end.
Dec 29, 2015 6:20 PM

Nov 2011
Fillers is just a way to extend the anime by adding nonsense. Sometime it is necessary but sometime, its just because the company just want to milk the series as long as they can. Naruto has already fucking and yet the filler is still going.

Dec 29, 2015 6:25 PM

Feb 2015
They're usually terribly written and add nothing to the plot.

Just look at Naruto: if it wasn't for the fillers, the anime would have ended over a year ago! That's just insane.
Dec 29, 2015 10:22 PM

May 2015
Because fillers are supposed to just kill time and life is too short to just kill time.

It could be there are well-done fillers, but their purpose is bad in the first place.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 29, 2015 10:41 PM

Feb 2015
Filler suck ass and they can go suck a dick

Have you even seen naruto filler ? Shitty story,Same old soundtrack,Cringeworthy animation and fucking flashbacks that have been used over a thousand times.You don't even have to watch the first series (over 200 episodes) to understand what is going on in shippuden it is that bad and the filler is continuos they don't even stop.We only got 5 canon episodes of naruto shippuden in 2015 and they will ongo till march 2016,from there the itachi arc will be animated from the novels as filler episodes and then in july we will fucking get some nice ass kaguya filller so yeah ! SAY GOODBYE TO EVER FUCKIN FINISHING NARUTO SHIPPUDEN.THIS ANIME IS A PAIN IN THE FUCKING ASS SERIOUSLY FUCK.I HATE FILLER I HATE FILLER I FUCKING HATE FILLELLLLERRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAAAAAWRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw bleach filler was good though,i enjoyed that filler
Dec 29, 2015 11:44 PM

Feb 2015
because they could be skipped over entirely and nothing of substance to the show will have been missed.
Dec 29, 2015 11:57 PM

Jul 2014
if your into the show alot then it might be no different than the normal show and you might love it just as much or you hate it, but i dont watch long ass shows like naruto so i wouldnt know and i have no intention of ever watching naruto so yeah
Dec 30, 2015 12:18 AM

Dec 2009
In the long running series the fillers are useless and annoying as you'd want to follow the series without deviating from the plot in the manga.
Dec 30, 2015 12:23 AM

Jan 2013
To quote Shakespeare "Brevity is the sole of wit".
Dec 30, 2015 12:25 AM

May 2014
I think that if all shows could do it as well as Fullmetal Alchemist we'd be far better off

even One Piece has decent fillers(for the most part)

grats to you for being able to watch filler without losing your mind
Dec 30, 2015 1:05 AM
Nov 2015
I recently encountered things that I didn't before, I was reading one punch man comments about an episode, and people looked at extra scenes that weren't in the manga, and people screamed filler. this isn't a filler episode that doesnt' effect plot or add anything, this is a scene inside cannon episode, that wasn't in the source but was added to add more to the characters in the story.
same thing happening with the webcomic to the manga transistion, although ONE is doing storying boarding to the manga with murata, people still yell filler over parts and scenes, and a arc that wasn't in the webcomic.
that is completely different from filler episode and I don't feel should get as much flak. :(
Dec 30, 2015 1:35 AM

Jul 2013
Fillers fucks the hype moments (like Bleach with the Arrancar saga), so people hate it. It has it's purpose, however, but it's not executed very well the most of cases.
Dec 30, 2015 2:59 AM

Mar 2013
If fillers are their to let the manga progress further because it's adapted all their is then fine I can deal with it, it's sometimes fun as well but only when they don't bring in a shit load of new characters that will disappear when the filler is over

However when it's filler being their because it's there (Motherfucking Naruto Shitpoodone) it's really annoying because it's completely unnecessary, stupid, horrible and guess what, BEST PART BEING PUT BACK AND THE MANGA IS FINISHED!!
Dec 30, 2015 3:01 AM

Nov 2014
Because they stop plot progression, for which people started watching the show.

Dec 30, 2015 4:30 AM

Jul 2009
It really depends on the series...

I really enjoyed the fillers in the original Pokemon. Also like a third of Detective Conan is filler but it's still great because murder mysteries...can't go wrong.

But yeah, things like Inuyasha fillers, or Bleach fillers...no thanks.
Dec 30, 2015 4:42 AM
Nov 2015
It really depends on the series like when i was really into naruto i watched all the fillers and enjoyed them quite a bit but in the end i hate them just because they dont really impact the main story in anyway, its basically a detour.
Dec 30, 2015 7:56 AM
May 2014
As a whole I don't mind fillers. However as someone else mentioned Bleach having filler arcs half way through arcs was annoying another bad example would be the amount of naruto fillers that were just repeats of episodes that aired before but made to be memories.
Dec 30, 2015 8:02 AM
May 2014
Double post <insert comment filler>
Dec 30, 2015 8:16 AM

Feb 2015
Oh, it's you.

Too many fillers really kill an anime for me. The main problem with fillers is that there can't happen anything that could potentially be interesting to watch (permanent character development, progressing the main story, introducing or killing off characters), since it would otherwise mess with the canon part of the series. The secondary problem with fillers is that they often have poor art, animation and pacing compared to the rest of the anime.
Honestly, Fairy Tail is probably the only series in which a good part of the fillers has been at least tolerable, and even enjoyable at times. But that mostly goes for the episodic fillers. The filler arcs were still pretty poorly done for the most part and weren't very interesting to watch.
Dec 30, 2015 9:38 AM
Jan 2015
yaoi_renee said:
I don't get it. I watched many long running shounen anime with tons of fillers and enjoyed every single part of them. I even read the manga of some of them and thought the fillers were so well made. They are just like OVAs so if you liked the anime, you'd want to see more, right? What exactly makes you think "fillers, ugh, need to skip them" when you wouldn't have if they were extra chapters in the manga?! It's so weird!
I'd think that it's because some people just wanna rush through an anime, but why rush through it when you willingly started it? Why not just drop it if it makes you bored?

It's not the mangakas story. That's why I skip it
Also not everyone has time to watch fillers
Dec 30, 2015 10:10 AM

May 2015
Tetsaiga said:
In the long running series the fillers are useless and annoying as you'd want to follow the series without deviating from the plot in the manga.

Although this is how they're defined in the anime community, that's not the literary definition.

'Filler' is anything that lacks purpose and doesn't contribute anything to tone or themes or characters. Whether it was or wasn't in the source material is irrelevant. A story needs to good regardless of what source it's based on. The source material for Game of Thrones is atrocious. It's full of filler writing that adds nothing.
Dec 30, 2015 10:59 AM

Aug 2015
I don't hate fillers in anime but some just feel so weird sometimes. Lke those random episodes in Blue Exorcist where it was that one girl's birthday or the little boy who gets possessed by a crow demon. I just feel like they put those to fill in time and plus I didn't really like those episodes. I just like animes are that are almost always continuing their plot and don't stop too much to focus on something else. I do have a few exception which is Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Samurai Champloo from which I had some form of enjoyment while having fillers in them. So fillers as I saw someone else said in this discussion can be a hit or miss.

Dec 30, 2015 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
It's when the fillers seem to completely eclipse the real story that it gets annoying to me. I don't watch the Shippuden anime but I was reading yesterday how the fillers might be on until 2017.
Dec 30, 2015 3:22 PM

May 2015
RedTie said:
It's when the fillers seem to completely eclipse the real story that it gets annoying to me. I don't watch the Shippuden anime but I was reading yesterday how the fillers might be on until 2017.

I'm surprised the fanbase keeps on the anime. Naruto fans are mysterious.
Dec 30, 2015 3:57 PM

May 2013
People get disappointed when a story they expected to see is halted by another story that has no real significance to the plot, even if said fillers were good. It does bother me too, but I've come to enjoy certain fillers, so it doesn't bother me too much :)
Dec 30, 2015 5:13 PM
Aug 2015
I love Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X), but season 3 which was basically a filler season killed the series. Sure, they were some episode or mini arc proven to be exception (Christian samurai arc) and Misao visiting Tokyo episode, but their failure to adapt the final and concluding arc killed the remaining interest of Rurouni kenshin fan (and this is after the high quality Kyoto Arc).

Fillers killed Bleach, and now they're killing Naruto.
Dec 30, 2015 6:53 PM

Oct 2011
Because everyone cares what only happened in the manga.

I only like fillers if they serve as an enhancement to the overall plot.
Dec 30, 2015 7:03 PM
Oct 2015
yaoi_renee said:
They are just like OVAs

Huh. Never really thought of it like that, OP. OVA episodes are usually my favorite ones.
Dec 30, 2015 7:39 PM

Aug 2013
Well an anime can have too much unnecessary boring filler cough cough Naruto Shippuden cough which can be a pain to watch. Some anime are masters at filler episodes though like Bleach and DBZ.

Bleach fillers had some of the best fights and moments

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 28

41 by Zedlin »»
6 minutes ago

» What is the best character of Takehito Koyasu?

Jonas-K - Sep 2, 2023

21 by Zedlin »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Should live action shows get anime adaptations?

GoatPieceLuffy - 11 hours ago

8 by Zedlin »»
9 minutes ago

» Why there is no polyamory/non-monogamy in yaoi/yuri?

Sanjay63773 - 3 hours ago

14 by Memore »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is your favorite imas secretary?

Shizuna - May 1

23 by Zedlin »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.