Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 22, 2015 8:33 PM

Jun 2010
Hi! I'm looking for a reliable site where i can find English .srt (subtitle) files for anime? All the results I've been getting from google seem... shady ^^'

I'm specifically looking for AKB0048 First Stage .srt's at the moment if anyone has those. =3=;;;
Dec 22, 2015 8:34 PM

Jul 2012
Google the show and then .srt

Click the first link

Download the file
Dec 22, 2015 8:36 PM

Jan 2008
Or look up .ass files. Seriously, they're called .ass. It's the only format of subtitles I've ever bothered to download.
Dec 22, 2015 8:36 PM

Jun 2012
Mayuka said:

Click the first link

Download the file
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 22, 2015 8:47 PM

Jun 2010
Paul said:
Or look up .ass files. Seriously, they're called .ass. It's the only format of subtitles I've ever bothered to download.

i found some torrents.... with 0 seeders. #rip
oh well ;^;
Dec 22, 2015 9:18 PM

Aug 2009
shirokkuma said:
Hi! I'm looking for a reliable site where i can find English .srt (subtitle) files for anime? All the results I've been getting from google seem... shady ^^'

I'm specifically looking for AKB0048 First Stage .srt's at the moment if anyone has those. =3=;;;

Why not just download the anime with the sub already in them? I would think that would be a whole lot easier than trying to just find the subs.
Dec 22, 2015 9:23 PM

Jun 2010
ezikialrage said:
shirokkuma said:

Why not just download the anime with the sub already in them? I would think that would be a whole lot easier than trying to just find the subs.

because I ALREADY downloaded the raw file with softsubs.... but accidentally downloaded German. it's a waste of space and bandwidth to re-download 5GB of anime again T__T

(and i like to use raw files for gif making afterwards :33333)

....maybe i'll just learn german lol.
Dec 22, 2015 10:24 PM

Aug 2009
shirokkuma said:
ezikialrage said:

because I ALREADY downloaded the raw file with softsubs.... but accidentally downloaded German. it's a waste of space and bandwidth to re-download 5GB of anime again T__T

(and i like to use raw files for gif making afterwards :33333)

....maybe i'll just learn german lol.

You should probably find a internet provider that doesn't cap how much you can download a month if re-downloading anime is a pain.

Maybe you could use google translate on the german subs if re downloading 5 gigs is too much trouble.
Dec 23, 2015 12:39 AM

Feb 2013
Mayuka said:

Click the first link

Download the file

LOL

the next links are for hungarian subs, at least on my google btw
Dec 23, 2015 12:44 AM
Aug 2014
animetosho contains subtitle files separately.
Dec 23, 2015 12:46 AM

Feb 2013
stevefromsteam said:
animetosho contains subtitle files separately.
does it? why not link to it

i didnt find them but im not too good with that site
Dec 23, 2015 12:55 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
You can just get them directly off the fansubbers. Go on their site and try find the script link along side their release blog posts or whatever. Not all groups upload them though so in that case you can just ask them directly and most will be willing to give you the .ass scripts you want.
romagia said:
Mayuka said:

Click the first link

Download the file
[img]http://i.imgur.com/FtElS4E.png[/img]

LOL

the next links are for hungarian subs, at least on my google btw

That is actually excellent xD
Dec 23, 2015 1:52 AM

Apr 2013
Like someone said above, those are usually .ass files, not .srt files... All the subtitles files I dealt with when I was translator for fansub teams are all .ass .
Dec 23, 2015 9:37 AM

May 2012
Before the ASS standard become widespread in anime, earlier subtitling formats like .srt were commonly used. These typically just consist of the text and a few HTML tags; any stylings are done by the player.

Usually you just put the .srt (or .ass) file in the same directory as the videos and players like SMPlayer will find and use them automatically.

I've pulled the subs and fonts from the EveTaku release of AKB0048 episode one and placed them here. See how they work for you. They're in ASS format.
SeijiSenseiDec 23, 2015 10:19 AM
Dec 23, 2015 9:56 AM

Apr 2013
uwaaah subbing with .srt looks like a pain in the ass to do... No wonder it wasn't used anymore after ass started to spread...
Dec 23, 2015 8:52 PM

Jun 2007
Best sites would be:

Kitsunekko (and I've personally uploaded subs for a number of shows to it)

Subs.com.ru (a mainly Russian site, but often contains English subtitles as well)

As others have said, many of those files will be .ass, not .srt, so if they use uncommon fonts for dialogue or other text, the subs might not display correctly for you. However, if you open the .ass files in Aegisub, it should be possible to convert them to .srt if you absolutely need to, though you'll get undesirable results if they contain any amount of softsubbed typesetting or karaoke. Note that if you go looking for subs for older shows, you generally won't find .ass/.srt for titles that don't have any softsubbed releases available, and some shows from ~2006-2010 may not have songs or signs in the subs, as many groups released .mkvs with softsubbed dialogue and hardsubbed typesetting/karaoke during that period.

Zefyris said:
uwaaah subbing with .srt looks like a pain in the ass to do... No wonder it wasn't used anymore after ass started to spread...
It was never used that much by fansubbers to begin with, since it didn't allow for any positioning, animated effects, or any style modifications other than italic/underline and maybe bold and strikethrough. (The main fansub releases I know of that used it were hono-bono's Those Who Hunt Elves II and Maigo's Magical Canaan, although some groups like Ayako and Eclipse did include alternate .srt tracks in .mkvs with softsubbed dialogue and hardsubbed TS/kara.) .Ass and earlier incarnations of it like .ssa had been around for a long time, but groups hardsubbed everything back then -- partially to combat "script-stealing," but also because it wasn't possible to render specialized fonts, effects, and positioning as softsubs until .mkv came around in ~2004.

.Srt was mainly the domain of dual-audio R1 DVD-ripping groups that converted DVD imagesubs to text subs, as the .ogm container introduced circa 2002 was afaik the first container able to support embedded softsubs (albeit only .srt) and multiple audio tracks. R1 DVD-ripping groups continued to use .srt (or "glorified .srt," AKA .ass with one default style set but no other styling/typesetting/karaoke done) for many years after .mkv was introduced, mainly because they didn't have fansubber talent around to do that kind of work. Of course, this sometimes led to disaster in shows like Excel Saga and His and Her Circumstances that had lots of onscreen text translated in the DVD subs, but no way to prevent it from being jumbled in with the dialogue in .srt format.
Dec 24, 2015 4:04 AM

Apr 2013
Zalis said:
Best sites would be:

Subs.com.ru (a mainly Russian site, but often contains English subtitles as well)

As others have said, many of those files will be .ass, not .srt, so if they use uncommon fonts for dialogue or other text, the subs might not display correctly for you. However, if you open the .ass files in Aegisub, it should be possible to convert them to .srt if you absolutely need to, though you'll get undesirable results if they contain any amount of softsubbed typesetting or karaoke. Note that if you go looking for subs for older shows, you generally won't find .ass/.srt for titles that don't have any softsubbed releases available, and some shows from ~2006-2010 may not have songs or signs in the subs, as many groups released .mkvs with softsubbed dialogue and hardsubbed typesetting/karaoke during that period.

Zefyris said:
It was never used that much by fansubbers to begin with, since it didn't allow for any positioning, animated effects, or any style modifications other than italic/underline and maybe bold and strikethrough. (The main fansub releases I know of that used it were hono-bono's Those Who Hunt Elves II and Maigo's Magical Canaan, although some groups like Ayako and Eclipse did include alternate .srt tracks in .mkvs with softsubbed dialogue and hardsubbed TS/kara.) .Ass and earlier incarnations of it like .ssa had been around for a long time, but groups hardsubbed everything back then -- partially to combat "script-stealing," but also because it wasn't possible to render specialized fonts, effects, and positioning as softsubs until .mkv came around in ~2004.

.Srt was mainly the domain of dual-audio R1 DVD-ripping groups that converted DVD imagesubs to text subs, as the .ogm container introduced circa 2002 was afaik the first container able to support embedded softsubs (albeit only .srt) and multiple audio tracks. R1 DVD-ripping groups continued to use .srt (or "glorified .srt," AKA .ass with one default style set but no other styling/typesetting/karaoke done) for many years after .mkv was introduced, mainly because they didn't have fansubber talent around to do that kind of work. Of course, this sometimes led to disaster in shows like Excel Saga and His and Her Circumstances that had lots of onscreen text translated in the DVD subs, but no way to prevent it from being jumbled in with the dialogue in .srt format.

You didn't get my pun at all! but thanks for the detailed history anyway, I ignored that difference completely.
Dec 24, 2015 8:25 PM
Dec 2014
shirokkuma said:
ezikialrage said:
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
because I ALREADY downloaded the raw file with softsubs.... but accidentally downloaded German. it&#039;s a waste of space and bandwidth to re-download 5GB of anime again T__T<br />
<br />
(and i like to use raw files for gif making afterwards :33333)<br />
<br />
....maybe i&#039;ll just learn german lol.

This could have been me 10 years ago. You third worlders/Americans have my sympathies.

Anime in German is no fun.
Dec 25, 2015 8:25 AM

Jun 2010
Zalis said:
Best sites would be:

Zefyris said:

OMFG YES THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THOSE LINKS!!! I was able to find the subtitles I wanted. I really had a difficult time until now. ==

(And I'm fine using, .ass and not .srt. whatever gets me the subtitles, honestly. I just said .srt because i'm so used to that file coming with in most softsubbed movies i've downloaded until now. )

Edit: So because i'm such a lucky person... i've finally downloaded the right subs but it seems I accidentally deleted the 5GB's of german AKB0048 i had downloaded.
I... I don't..... I don't even know......
shirokkumaDec 25, 2015 8:32 AM
Aug 22, 2016 9:50 AM
Feb 2014
I was trying to find on google no results :(
Jun 29, 2020 8:03 PM
Jun 2020
guess this gonna help
https://www.videoproc.com/download-record-video/best-sites-to-download-subtitles.htm
a list of sites with a large repository of English subs
May 12, 2022 4:47 AM
Jan 2022
It become never used that a great deal via fansubbers first of all, since it did not allow for any positioning you can download nekopoi apk from this link, lively results, or any fashion modifications aside from italic/underline and maybe ambitious and strikethrough.
bsgtw634May 21, 2022 4:45 AM
May 12, 2022 4:57 AM

Oct 2018
Open your browser
Nyaa.si
English translated
Search the anime
Download
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 12, 2022 4:58 AM

May 2021
Phosphophyllita said:
Open your browser
Nyaa.si
English translated
Search the anime
Download

thats illegal im the police bye bye to your freedom

More topics from this board

» What anime tend to get grouped together despite being at least somewhat different from each other, in your opinion? (Think Barbie and Oppenheimer)

arinthach - Apr 11

22 by AverageRiceFan »»
1 minute ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

18 by AverageRiceFan »»
6 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

129 by FFandMMfan »»
15 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by AverageRiceFan »»
16 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.