Forum Settings
Forums

Speculation for rest of series (154 latest) (spoilers up until this chapter)

Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 30, 2016 7:44 AM

Dec 2015
So the long awaited AratavsChihaya match isn't as intense as what everyone thought it would be. Even the characters in Chihayafuru (who are watching the match) are disappointed.

Chihaya really grew up and matured a lot. She is no longer the same Chihaya as before and it makes sense because she can't stay as a child forever. She has to mature and start to think of other things too.

But then "that" Chihaya is someone whom Arata doesn't know. She is a stranger for him. Just like what everyone says, the Chihaya in Arata's mind was the girl whom he played with when he was still a child, so this adult Chihaya or mature Chihaya is new to him which made him really shocked so his game was off.

I think Suetsugu-sensei is letting the characters matured. Taichi already had his "enlightenment", Chihaya has started to noticed things around her and became more matured and now it's Arata's turn.

After this match with Chihaya, I think he will start to think and grow up too. Think about what he really wants to do, where should he really focus. Since the three of them didn't really grow up or didn't really move on from that time when the three of them were still playing together.

Taichi will watch the match, yay! The next chapter will be really exciting.

Anyways whatever the outcome of this tournament or this arc will give us a good idea about who Chihaya will really end up with or whether she will end up with one of them...
Feb 8, 2016 4:39 PM

Mar 2014
Ofcourse chihaya will feel lonely. Taichi is "the moon" of the team as kana said. Everyone in the (original) team misses him a lot. In ch159, we can see how much nishida loves him (and chihaya).

I really like what Ayumi-Akimoto said about taichi being her backbone. In the previous team tournaments, chihaya was able to enjoy her matches because taichi was there to take in all the pressure for the team. Now that he is gone, she has to take over his role in the team and it's taking a toll on her. She's not being herself. She's not even excited about her match with arata who is her karuta god/childhood friend/crush. For chihaya, "playing together" is more fun. She wanted her first team to last forever but arata taichi left. Then she made mizusawa team with taichi's help but now he left the team. I think playing with friends is as important as queen title for chihaya.

I wasn't expecting this tbh but if this helps to develop arata and chihaya's characters then I'm fine with it. I think the author is trying to bring the trio back together again in the end.
Feb 14, 2016 10:49 AM
Mar 2015
As the final round of the team matches unfold Tachi's arrival at Omi Jingu does not go unnoticed
Chapter 162 Raws
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4353888972
Feb 17, 2016 1:30 PM

Jun 2015
Finally, Arata got him self togther and he is going to sweep the floor with Chihaya.I can't wait for that!
And the last 3 pages were golden, even the mob Tamaru can feel Taichi's importance lol.
I saw the spoiler at MF and the person who worte it mentioned that Suetsugu twitted that volume 32 will be a fateful/crucial volume for the story and ch163 will be the last chapter in volume 32 so i guess whatever the important thing she talked about it is going to happen in the next chapter. Hopfuly, we will be able to get a resolution to the whole ChihayaArataTaichi triangle.
At the end even though i am curious to see Chihaya's reaction whenever she sees Taichi but i am really more interested in Taichi's when he sees Chihaya like that doesn't pay attention to Arata and only playing for him and for thier team, will he be satisfied? happy? sad? will he be able to finally to move on and let go of his feellings?.
Feb 17, 2016 6:41 PM

Feb 2011
Well currently right now Suetsugu-sensei is working on vol 31 ( so ch 163 will be the last chapter for this volume: which means there's still five more chapters for vol. 32 until we get to the see fateful/crucial part of the story: so we still expect to see more changes during this match: it's not over yet.

I'll say if Taichi is a fair person who deeply cares about Chihaya he will noticed her indifference and how she playing her match now is not her usual style: now she's playing so cold and out of love towards the game. Do you guys thinks that Taichi will be happy and satisfy seeing this as the result in what she's doing to herself? Yeah she might focus her match for the sake of her teammates and him but her heart isn't in it because she's no longer happy or excite when it comes to playing karuta ( nor towards her own person as well) and she refuse to give Arata eye contact during their match which I believe it carries a huge trouble for Chihaya in not enjoy playing karuta as Taichi always knew she would. Not only that, Taichi will realize the damaged he caused towards Chihaya's heart after he left the club and now she avoids reaching out of the things she desires ( in both karuta and her affections towards Arata): Chihaya is no longer herself, her game is cold, her face is without joy or excitement, it's a face of someone who wants to win at any cost as her atonement for hurting Taichi all this time. Chihaya thinks she doesn’t deserve to be happy after what happened to Taichi: all the guilt is taking over her and Arata is paying the mess Taichi caused. At this rate, Taichi will come to realize reality that he’ll never make her happy (instead of granting her happiness: he brought her suffering and coldness to herself).

Note- that's what Arata is shocked and very concern in Chihaya's current state: she's not happy, enjoying nor having fun playing karuta: not only that, when she plays the game is out of love in both the game and her own person that now Arata was wondering what had happened to her.
It's upsetting what I'm seeing at the forums in how some fans thinks Arata knows so little about Chihaya: he cares about her and now he seeing an awfully change in her personally of course he's going to be shocked and worried in what she's doing to herself; it's because he knows her very well it's why he noticed and it's effecting him in how much she changed : she became so cold and impassioned towards the game and especially towards her own person. She’s playing for the sake of her team and Taichi (well yeah, is expected since both Chihaya and Arata’s match is a team match, not individual match) so it’s obvious that Chihaya will look after her team and that’s not what’s bothering Arata, is her personally in what she had become :she can still look after her team and have fun: the thing what I don’t see right is how Chihaya is expressing towards Arata so coldly and how she now plays karuta out of love towards the game and her own person: It’s like she rejecting everything she loves (in both karuta and Arata) and that's is not normal.
sweetangieFeb 17, 2016 11:31 PM
Feb 17, 2016 6:45 PM
Mar 2015
Chapter 158 was the last chapter in Volume 30. Volume 31 will consist of Chapters 159-163 Volume 32 will cover Chapters 164-168. Most likely this will cover the individual hgh school championships featurning Tacih,Chihaya, Shnobu and Arata.
Feb 17, 2016 9:38 PM

Jun 2015
I meant volume 31 not 32 , it was a mistake.
So yeah it's going to happen in the next chapter.
Maha23Feb 18, 2016 5:15 AM
Feb 21, 2016 4:00 AM
Aug 2015
I want to see more of taichi in the next few chapters. His recovery story can be one of the best arcs in this manga.

From his point of view, he has lost everything
His relationship with Chihaya has completely broken down (atleast according to him)
He himself believes that he cant return to the karuta club
His insecurity against people with talent in karuta causing him to doubt himself

Right now with the meijin he is back on track to at least starting playing karuta for fun before he can face the others.

In my opinion his underdog story is what is the most gripping part of the manga. To be able to work hard in spite of losing at everything makes you really root for him. Compared to that arata has everything from karuta to chihaya in his favour which is really unsatisfying because you feel like all of it is set up for him to win.
And that kind of makes arata an uninteresting character whereas taichi has got to overcome some major obstacles to even get near to chihaya and arata.

I think the mangaka must have got the feedback of how taichi is the most discussed character in the anime as well as in the manga in the past few years.
So she should flesh out tachi's story to its maximum to keep the manga from stagnating.
This is also because the skill levels of arata and chihaya have pretty much reached to the point where they can be defeated only by the queen and the meijin so any more of their battles with other characters will only drag this story as the result of those matches are predictable.
But taichi's matches are going to be very interesting as we still dont know how much he has improved by practicing against suo, also his matches include strategy and plans on how to use their opponent's weakness which is way better than chihaya or arata matches
Nagatsuki Tappei (ReZero): It goes without saying that "Mushoku Tensei" is interesting, but first of all, it's amazing that you were able to depict the life of one character, Rudy. People say that "CLANNAD" is life, but for me, "Mushoku Tensei" is life
Mar 3, 2016 4:57 AM

Dec 2015
I have been thinking that Chihaya may end up with Taichi or no one, ever since that time when Chihaya cheered for Harada-sensei instead of Arata. That was the moment that the theme for "change" begun.

I think that what Chihaya really feel for Arata is just an admiration. Arata is someone she looked up to. Just like how those anime characters who admire and follow a master or someone whom they thought of as strong or cool. They always act like sparkling,blushing and excited when it comes to that master.

That's why when Arata confessed to her. All the she think of was that match between Harada and Arata. Noticed that every time she remember that confession the image that comes to her mind was the match between Harada and Arata. It's not just Arata confessing to her, Harada was also included http://www.mangahere.co/manga/chihayafuru/c120/11.html To the point that Kana even had to remind her that as maiden the one she should be thinking of is the confession.

The only time that she thought of it as confession was after Taichi confessed http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v26/c138/12.html and she even asked "what about Arata?" and there she finally understand what Arata really meant.
Some say that Chihaya interpreted it that way because of her love for Arata but for me that's what Arata really meant about that and for Karuta addicts those words have a different meaning.

Remember when Kana thought that Arata is scary because for Karuta addicts "those words can only mean..." http://www.mangahere.co/manga/chihayafuru/c120/14.html she didn't finished her word which means for Karuta addicts those words really have a different meaning and that meaning was revealed during Taichi's confession which means "Let's spend the rest of our lives together"

With what's happening in the latest chapters. I think it's slowly giving as an explanation on why Arata's character was treated like that and why things are happening like that.
~~~~~~~~~~~
As to why:
Arata never saw Chihaya play in a team match because for some reason there were always a problem hindering him from being able to see her play in team match and why Suetsugu let Arata make his own team just now, even though he always play alone, she let Arata make a team now - With the latest happening, not only did Suetsugu let Arata see Chihaya play in a team match but also let him play against her.

Arata and Chihaya almost never see each other except only when it's in a Karuta Tournament. Taichi is often with them too. They rarely talk in Phone even though they knew each other's number and when they talk it usually has something to do with Karuta.
Taichi has more character development than with Arata and he has more moments with Chihaya.
~~~~~~~~~~

This is just my thought, okay?
But I think Arata and Chihaya are soulmates when it comes to Karuta.
That explain the thing about "Orihime and Hikoboshi" - Orihime and Hikoboshi can only meet once a year - just like how Arata and Chihaya only meet during Karuta Tournaments
and with the help of Magpie (which is Karuta for them) That's why Chihaya and Arata only meet in Karuta tournament and even though they knew each other's phone number , they rarely talk and most of the time they talk only about Karuta.
So what's with them is passion for Karuta. The feeling that only Karuta freaks will understand.

So Chihaya and Arata are soulmates when it comes to Karuta
But romantically her partner will be Taichi.

I have a feeling that Arata will have a very passionate and touching match (not against Chihaya) before becoming a Meiji.
Maybe it will be a match against Taichi or the reigning Meiji.
and that match will be the most passionate and touching match in this manga. His victory will be very touching. Only with that will Suetsugu will be able to pay him back.
Mar 3, 2016 10:24 AM

Mar 2014
Nunnally03 said:
I have been thinking that Chihaya may end up with Taichi or no one, ever since that time when Chihaya cheered for Harada-sensei instead of Arata. That was the moment that the theme for "change" begun.

I think that what Chihaya really feel for Arata is just an admiration. Arata is someone she looked up to. Just like how those anime characters who admire and follow a master or someone whom they thought of as strong or cool. They always act like sparkling,blushing and excited when it comes to that master.

That's why when Arata confessed to her. All the she think of was that match between Harada and Arata. Noticed that every time she remember that confession the image that comes to her mind was the match between Harada and Arata. It's not just Arata confessing to her, Harada was also included http://www.mangahere.co/manga/chihayafuru/c120/11.html To the point that Kana even had to remind her that as maiden the one she should be thinking of is the confession.

The only time that she thought of it as confession was after Taichi confessed http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v26/c138/12.html and she even asked "what about Arata?" and there she finally understand what Arata really meant.
Some say that Chihaya interpreted it that way because of her love for Arata but for me that's what Arata really meant about that and for Karuta addicts those words have a different meaning.

Remember when Kana thought that Arata is scary because for Karuta addicts "those words can only mean..." http://www.mangahere.co/manga/chihayafuru/c120/14.html she didn't finished her word which means for Karuta addicts those words really have a different meaning and that meaning was revealed during Taichi's confession which means "Let's spend the rest of our lives together"

With what's happening in the latest chapters. I think it's slowly giving as an explanation on why Arata's character was treated like that and why things are happening like that.
~~~~~~~~~~~
As to why:
Arata never saw Chihaya play in a team match because for some reason there were always a problem hindering him from being able to see her play in team match and why Suetsugu let Arata make his own team just now, even though he always play alone, she let Arata make a team now - With the latest happening, not only did Suetsugu let Arata see Chihaya play in a team match but also let him play against her.

Arata and Chihaya almost never see each other except only when it's in a Karuta Tournament. Taichi is often with them too. They rarely talk in Phone even though they knew each other's number and when they talk it usually has something to do with Karuta.
Taichi has more character development than with Arata and he has more moments with Chihaya.
~~~~~~~~~~

That explain the thing about "Orihime and Hikoboshi" - Orihime and Hikoboshi can only meet once a year - just like how Arata and Chihaya only meet during Karuta Tournaments
and with the help of Magpie (which is Karuta for them) That's why Chihaya and Arata only meet in Karuta tournament and even though they knew each other's phone number , they rarely talk and most of the time they talk only about Karuta.
So what's with them is passion for Karuta. The feeling that only Karuta freaks will understand.

I have a feeling that Arata will have a very passionate and touching match (not against Chihaya) before becoming a Meiji.
and that match will be the most passionate and touching match in this manga. His victory will be very touching. Only with that will Suetsugu will be able to pay him back.

This really is a very beautiful interpretation of all of the recent changes going on (recent in the manga events timeline). Thank you so much for this.
I'm actually starting to rewatch/reread all of whatever happened so far, so I'll be sure to keep an extra eye out for this kinda thing and see where the occurrences are pointing towards. Sometimes when you're keeping track of something live, it's easy to forget all of the big picture things.
Mar 4, 2016 6:11 AM

Feb 2011
Nunnally03 said:

~~~~~~~~~~~
As to why:

~~~~~~~~~~

Nice theory. But what do you think the reason why Suetsugu had to make things like that?
Mar 4, 2016 7:26 AM
Mar 2015
Karnice has translated a 2011 Suetsugu interview in her blog "Hot Chocolate in a Bowl"a which does a good job of explaining what Chihayafuru is about

"Chihayafuru (Chihayaburu)” is a pillow word that’s difficult to understand, and that’s precisely why it left such a deep impression on me, such that I added it to the shelf of mysterious words in my brain. So when I came to write a manga about the 100 poems, I did not hesitate in choosing this poem for the title. But I don’t think that was a mistake. This is a manga about Chihaya learning about and coming to express the true meaning of the “strong, powerful force” that “Chihayafuru” speaks of."
Mar 5, 2016 5:52 AM

Dec 2015
Ayumi-Akimoto said:
Nunnally03 said:

~~~~~~~~~~~
As to why:

~~~~~~~~~~

Nice theory. But what do you think the reason why Suetsugu had to make things like that?

Which one do you mean? lol
This is just my thought again, okay? I am not saying that Suetsugu is really thinking about it or planning for it.

Suetsugu made a "hole" in her story. Because she wanted to be "sure"
She wanted to be sure about the character that she will choose for Chihaya.
Because this manga mostly focused about Karuta and the passion that Karuta players have for it, instead of romance.
That's why she had to put those holes. So when that day comes, that she have to choose between the two guys or do something for the "romance" part of the story, she will fill those holes for that guy whom she will choose.,so that everything will make sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Now if you are asking about why I think Arata made a team now.
I think it is because, she(Suetsugu) wanted Arata to have a reason to stay in Fukui
Few years ago. Arata made that decision that he wanted to go to Tokyo.
It was also during that time that Taichi and Chihaya were busy in obtaining their goal for Mizusawa and they had so much fun.
That time Arata wasn't even thinking of making a team but rather his plan was to go Tokyo.
So now everyone are wondering "Why did he have to make a team now, in his last year?" http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v27/c143/27.html
But with what's happening lately. I think it was to give Arata a reason, to stay in Fukui.

Arata and Chihaya weren't able to move on from that time when they used to play in that old apartment. It was very special for them. It was the time when they enjoyed playing Karuta the most. But now things has changed
Within the latest chapters. Chihaya and Taichi had their character development and Chihaya was finally able to move on from that past.
She was able to make her own team without Taichi and Arata on it. It was her own team, her comrades and friends. She is no longer alone, she no longer have to play alone.

How about Arata?
He wasn't able to move on from that past as well. http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v27/c143/23.html
So I think the next Arc will be for his character development. A way for him to move on from that past and his team mates will have something to do about it.
The members of his team are just not an ordinary characters. Suetsugu even took time to show a short story about them http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v31/c162/18.html
And we can see Arata starting to learn some things,have fun with them and was touched by their dedication.

So Yeah,
I think the time will come when he will realize that even though the time he spent with Chihaya and Taichi were special. The time he spent with the people from Fukui,his friends/teams are also special. They stayed with him through thick and thin.
Even though he will be playing alone (not in team) he is no longer alone. That's why I think he will stay in Fukui.

The reason why I think of it that way was because of their cards and with what's happening lately. Starting from that match between Harada and Arata - Because that was the time when the theme about "change" begun.

With Chihaya started thinking "The me in Elementary"- which was full of memories of Arata http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v22/c118/26.html , followed by "The me in middle school and the me now in high school" -http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v22/c118/27.html Which is full of Harada and ended up with Chihaya cheering for Harada instead.
Even though she clearly knew and remember Arata's dream - http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v21/c113/31.html
Then Arata even confessed after that match - and that confession was the trigger or the start of the changes and drama in the Trio's relationship.

One of the examples of the start of changes happened during Suo and Harada's match.
Originally Chihaya's dream was to be in that tournament for the Queen and Meijin with Arata. They share the same goals of becoming a Queen and Meijin.
But in that match, it changedl
It is no longer Arata who is going to fulfill her dream together with her, but Taichi.
Back then it was her and Arata but in that moment she chose it as her and Taichi.
She put Arata on the same place as Shinobu - someone they have to beat in order for their dreams to come true.
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v24/c124/25.html

Out of all the characters in Chihayafuru. Taichi and Chihaya's cards are the only ones next to each other.
That's why Taichi and Chihaya will always be together
Even if physically they are far apart, they are still together.
This explain the thing on why even after Taichi left. Chihaya can still feel his presence.
Even though Chihaya wasn't playing as herself, almost everyone sees Taichi in her
and the thing about Taichi's headband. Even if they are not together physically they will always be together. Just like how their cards are next to each other

While Chihaya and Arata's card are far from each other but linked together.
I think this also explain the whole thing about them being referred to as "Orihime and Hikoboshi"
As we all know Orihime and Hikoboshi were once together Just like how Arata and Chihaya were once together.
But they had to part from each other - just again like Arata and Chihaya.
But after that Orihime and Hikoboshi were never able to be "together" again except for a certain day if fate will let them to (if it will not rain) - just like how Chihaya and Arata were never able to have time for each other except during Karuta Tournaments. (if both of them are present) - Karuta is what link them together

That's why I thought from what's happening lately that Chihaya may end up with Taichi or no one.
Although there's a high chance that she may end up with no one.
Mar 5, 2016 8:27 PM

Mar 2014
Nunnally03 said:
Ayumi-Akimoto said:

This is just my thought again, okay? I am not saying that Suetsugu is really thinking about it or planning for it.

Because this manga mostly focused about Karuta and the passion that Karuta players have for it, instead of romance.
That's why she had to put those holes. So when that day comes, that she have to choose between the two guys or do something for the "romance" part of the story, she will fill those holes for that guy whom she will choose.,so that everything will make sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I think it is because, she(Suetsugu) wanted Arata to have a reason to stay in Fukui
It was also during that time that Taichi and Chihaya were busy in obtaining their goal for Mizusawa and they had so much fun.
That time Arata wasn't even thinking of making a team but rather his plan was to go Tokyo.
So now everyone are wondering "Why did he have to make a team now, in his last year?" http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v27/c143/27.html
But with what's happening lately. I think it was to give Arata a reason, to stay in Fukui.

Arata and Chihaya weren't able to move on from that time when they used to play in that old apartment. It was very special for them. It was the time when they enjoyed playing Karuta the most. But now things has changed
Within the latest chapters. Chihaya and Taichi had their character development and Chihaya was finally able to move on from that past.
She was able to make her own team without Taichi and Arata on it. It was her own team, her comrades and friends. She is no longer alone, she no longer have to play alone.

How about Arata?
He wasn't able to move on from that past as well. http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v27/c143/23.html
So I think the next Arc will be for his character development. A way for him to move on from that past and his team mates will have something to do about it.
The members of his team are just not an ordinary characters. Suetsugu even took time to show a short story about them http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v31/c162/18.html
And we can see Arata starting to learn some things,have fun with them and was touched by their dedication.

So Yeah,
I think the time will come when he will realize that even though the time he spent with Chihaya and Taichi were special. The time he spent with the people from Fukui,his friends/teams are also special. They stayed with him through thick and thin.
Even though he will be playing alone (not in team) he is no longer alone. That's why I think he will stay in Fukui.

The reason why I think of it that way was because of their cards and with what's happening lately. Starting from that match between Harada and Arata - Because that was the time when the theme about "change" begun.

With Chihaya started thinking "The me in Elementary"- which was full of memories of Arata http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v22/c118/26.html , followed by "The me in middle school and the me now in high school" -http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v22/c118/27.html Which is full of Harada and ended up with Chihaya cheering for Harada instead.
Even though she clearly knew and remember Arata's dream - http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v21/c113/31.html
Then Arata even confessed after that match - and that confession was the trigger or the start of the changes and drama in the Trio's relationship.

One of the examples of the start of changes happened during Suo and Harada's match.
Originally Chihaya's dream was to be in that tournament for the Queen and Meijin with Arata. They share the same goals of becoming a Queen and Meijin.
It is no longer Arata who is going to fulfill her dream together with her, but Taichi.
Back then it was her and Arata but in that moment she chose it as her and Taichi.
She put Arata on the same place as Shinobu - someone they have to beat in order for their dreams to come true.

Out of all the characters in Chihayafuru. Taichi and Chihaya's cards are the only ones next to each other.
This explain the thing on why even after Taichi left. Chihaya can still feel his presence.
Even though Chihaya wasn't playing as herself, almost everyone sees Taichi in her
and the thing about Taichi's headband. Even if they are not together physically they will always be together. Just like how their cards are next to each other

I think this also explain the whole thing about them being referred to as "Orihime and Hikoboshi"
As we all know Orihime and Hikoboshi were once together Just like how Arata and Chihaya were once together.
But after that Orihime and Hikoboshi were never able to be "together" again except for a certain day if fate will let them to (if it will not rain) - just like how Chihaya and Arata were never able to have time for each other except during Karuta Tournaments. (if both of them are present) - Karuta is what link them together

That's why I thought from what's happening lately that Chihaya may end up with Taichi or no one.

The observations of Lelouch's little sister.
Really, how do you link all of this together and remember all of it! Do you read it several times?
For my initial post, it was a whole lot of memory involved cause I was thinking about Chihayafuru a LOT that week, but now I don't remember all of the small details (therefore going to rewatch/reread it)
Because I LOVE theorizing about this.

so much of what you're saying makes sense, or so I want it to.
I want to thank Suetsugu sensei one day for giving us something so wonderful
Mar 6, 2016 3:00 PM

Feb 2011
Sekaiou said:
Nunnally03 said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

How about Arata?

So Yeah,

Really, how do you link all of this together and remember all of it! Do you read it several times?
For my initial post, it was a whole lot of memory involved cause I was thinking about Chihayafuru a LOT that week, but now I don't remember all of the small details (therefore going to rewatch/reread it)

That's the power of Geas for you! =))

I also started to re-read the manga after reading your theories. I am still in the chapter of their 2nd year.
And yes I realized that Arata actually planned to make a team during his 2nd year.
But failed because no one joined him and his current teammates
The two siblings were actually a long time character and they promised Arata that after they will enroll in Arata's school and if they want to make a team, they will join and they did now. Wow!
So Arata could've make a team during his 2nd year but instead it happened to be on his third year.

I never paid any attention to them before :-O
Mar 6, 2016 8:27 PM

Mar 2014
[quote=Ayumi-Akimoto message=45066842]
Sekaiou said:
Nunnally03 said:

That's the power of Geas for you! =))

I also started to re-read the manga after reading your theories. I am still in the chapter of their 2nd year.
And yes I realized that Arata actually planned to make a team during his 2nd year.
But failed because no one joined him and his current teammates
The two siblings were actually a long time character and they promised Arata that after they will enroll in Arata's school and if they want to make a team, they will join and they did now. Wow!
So Arata could've make a team during his 2nd year but instead it happened to be on his third year.

I never paid any attention to them before :-O

Oooh I actually do remember them now that you mention it!
Mar 9, 2016 3:10 PM

Nov 2015
Nunnally03 said:
Theory 1 and 2
Nice Theory.
I really love reading theories that actually make sense.
Especially when it comes to the shipping that I support, because it gave me hope.
But I am worried. What if Arata decided to study in Tokyo? and Taichi is the one who beat Suo and became the Meijin in the next Meijin Tournament, then would it end this theory that instant?
For salty fans
Mar 9, 2016 3:21 PM

Dec 2015
MTKN9068 said:
Nunnally03 said:
Theory 1 and 2
Nice Theory.
I really love reading theories that actually make sense.
Especially when it comes to the shipping that I support, because it gave me hope.
But I am worried. What if Arata decided to study in Tokyo? and Taichi is the one who beat Suo and became the Meijin in the next Meijin Tournament, then would it end this theory that instant?
Not really. If you will notice I used the word "in the end" in my and the word "Meijin"-which is not limited to Suo only. It can be Taichi (Although I doubt it), Hiro, Suo or whoever is the Meijin at that time.

Also, like I said... This manga's main focus is mostly about Karuta and it's players. This manga may end soon or run even longer so a lot of things can happen (especially they want to milk it until the last drop) but that's how I think it will end. Arata's lost to Chihaya just made me believe it even more.
Mar 12, 2016 3:06 PM

Feb 2011
Karice posted an interview between Suetsugu and Umino. This interview was done after Chihayafuru reached 100 chapters.

In that interview Umino said that she can feel Chihaya's romantic feelings for Arata. But Suetsugu said that, that's what's running in the manga but because Arata is strong (in Karuta) part of it is also because of admiration.

She also said that because this manga focused in Karuta. It was hard for her to put it in love mode. Although she did it in volume 17 but it didn't feel right so she stopped.

She also said that the more they love karuta, the less possible it is for these two loves to coexist.

But.. as we all know Chihaya and Arata loves Karuta so much
Then few chapters after this interview was done, we all find out that Taichi doesn't love Karuta.

You can read the entire interview in this link.
https://karice.wordpress.com/2016/03/13/p495/#more-10652
Mar 15, 2016 9:24 PM
Mar 2015
There was an article in ANN which quoted an interview by the editor of Belove stating that Chihayafuru is 3/4 done
Mar 19, 2016 9:31 PM

Jan 2016
kay91 said:

If taichi is really the worst guy then i hope he puts up a big boss fight in the end of the manga and arata/chihaya both get their asses kicked. lol Then evil suou and his evil apprentice taichi along with the queen shinobu take over the (karuta) world xD

i couldnt agree more.. sometimes i think Chihayafuru is about Taichi's circumstances rather than Chihaya's.
there's a lot of progress in his character compared to Chihaya's and Arata's. he listens and understands to what the others are telling him.
his mind is open but he is not a super human that does not feel pain.

i think taichi, even he is just an apprentice to the queen and meijin, he would look cool and arata and chihaya could just watch and wait until their abilities and talents fade in time.
saki88Mar 19, 2016 9:39 PM
Mar 19, 2016 10:04 PM

Jan 2016
Yes, Suetsugu is playing it safe while making sure that Arata's fans will keep on waiting.

But if we are going to talk about what is happening "recently" then I can say that "RIGHT NOW" the one that has more chances of winning is Taichi.
Of course this may change in the future but "RIGHT NOW" Taichi is the one in favorable position.

I think the way that Arata was acting like that was because he was shocked to see that kind of Chihaya. Chihaya is no longer playing Karuta like what she used to do. Right now, Chihaya is not enjoying herself. From the beginning, Chihaya wasn't really that fine but she forced herself to play after thinking that it will be their last year playing together and then what happened during the matches made it even more difficult for her.

Back then, Chihaya was able to play the way she wanted because Taichi was there for her. He was there to support her and took care of things for her. That's why, she was able to truly enjoy. But now that he is gone, she was in so much pressure in making sure that her teammates will win and not lose hope. Chihaya was at her strongest, when Taichi was with her.

The poem that Chihaya picked up is poem #47

To the lonely house
where the weeds, eight layers deep,
have grown rank,
not a soul can be seen--
but autumn, at least, has come.

If we are going to interpret this poem. It's mostly explain about what Chihaya feels right now.

Chihaya right now feels lonely even though everyone was there for her... her mother,her teacher, her friends and teammates are with her and even Arata was with her. But even though she was surrounded by those people who are important to her, she still feel alone and we all know that Taichi was the only one absent in that place.

That's why I said Chihaya needs Taichi. Taichi was her backbone, the one giving her strength. When she feels pressured, losing hope, have no confidence, Taichi was the one who made her feel fine. So right now, she feels lonely even though she was surrounded by the people that's important to her.

woooow.. that probably explains as well when she said to Arata that she can feel Taichi's presence. without Taichi, something is missing in the game of the team. something is missing in Chihaya's game sense. thanks for the poem.
Mar 19, 2016 10:14 PM

Jan 2016
rdturbo said:
I want to see more of taichi in the next few chapters. His recovery story can be one of the best arcs in this manga.

From his point of view, he has lost everything
His relationship with Chihaya has completely broken down (atleast according to him)
He himself believes that he cant return to the karuta club
His insecurity against people with talent in karuta causing him to doubt himself

Right now with the meijin he is back on track to at least starting playing karuta for fun before he can face the others.

In my opinion his underdog story is what is the most gripping part of the manga. To be able to work hard in spite of losing at everything makes you really root for him. Compared to that arata has everything from karuta to chihaya in his favour which is really unsatisfying because you feel like all of it is set up for him to win.
And that kind of makes arata an uninteresting character whereas taichi has got to overcome some major obstacles to even get near to chihaya and arata.

I think the mangaka must have got the feedback of how taichi is the most discussed character in the anime as well as in the manga in the past few years.
So she should flesh out tachi's story to its maximum to keep the manga from stagnating.
This is also because the skill levels of arata and chihaya have pretty much reached to the point where they can be defeated only by the queen and the meijin so any more of their battles with other characters will only drag this story as the result of those matches are predictable.
But taichi's matches are going to be very interesting as we still dont know how much he has improved by practicing against suo, also his matches include strategy and plans on how to use their opponent's weakness which is way better than chihaya or arata matches

this is true. we barely have any idea on what happened between his matches with the meijin. he could have learned a lot from him and will use it in his future matches.
im not hoping his going to be the next meijin. but as sou told him, shinobu reached where she is now through hard work. thanks for the enlightenment :)
Mar 19, 2016 11:19 PM

Jan 2016

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

How about Arata?

So Yeah,

i have never really realized the flashbacks that Chihaya had.. thanks for bringing this up. it simply showed she hasn't grown that much. she got stuck with her memories with Arata playing caruta at the old apartment.

i also didnt see this one, or maybe i just didnt take into this one thoroughly. but it's clear now. she wants taichi to play against arata, while she against shinubo. i guess she understood, a bit of taichi's situation, during this time
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v20/c104/16.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v20/c104/17.html
she was able to relate herself to taichi's hardwork.

[/size][/color]

thanks for the enlightenment.
Apr 18, 2016 4:20 PM

Sep 2014
Chihaya's not good enough for Taichi; I hope Taichi moves on and stops wasting his life on Karuta. Seriously, it's just a shitty game no one plays and he's goot at sports as well as being highly intelligent. He could just make bank and start dating girls hotter and smarter than Chihaya who actually value him
Apr 18, 2016 4:39 PM

Mar 2014
notsomacho said:
Chihaya's not good enough for Taichi; I hope Taichi moves on and stops wasting his life on Karuta. Seriously, it's just a shitty game no one plays and he's goot at sports as well as being highly intelligent. He could just make bank and start dating girls hotter and smarter than Chihaya who actually value him

Trolling is cute.
Apr 18, 2016 4:52 PM

Sep 2014
Sekaiou said:
notsomacho said:

Trolling is cute.

No, I'm serious. If I were Taichi I'd drop Karuta and stick to my strengths. He cares about the game now, but in a few years he'll probably just look back and think of it all as a waste of time. I look back at my childhood and wonder why I wasted so much time gaming when it got me nowhere. He's obviously nowhere near good enough in terms of talent to ever become the master, so why bother? I know he likes to talk about "not running away" or whatever, but there's a difference between ramming your head into a wall and hammering away at it with a battering ram. He doesn't have the skill to break through the wall, but he DOES have the ability to have a successful future. Why should he waste his potential? To follow a dream that won't come true? That's idiotic

Besides, Chihaya never seemed to give much of a shit about him until AFTER he leaves. Before that he may as well have been furniture
Apr 18, 2016 5:43 PM

Mar 2014
notsomacho said:
Sekaiou said:

Trolling is cute.

No, I'm serious. If I were Taichi I'd drop Karuta and stick to my strengths. He cares about the game now, but in a few years he'll probably just look back and think of it all as a waste of time. I look back at my childhood and wonder why I wasted so much time gaming when it got me nowhere. He's obviously nowhere near good enough in terms of talent to ever become the master, so why bother? I know he likes to talk about "not running away" or whatever, but there's a difference between ramming your head into a wall and hammering away at it with a battering ram. He doesn't have the skill to break through the wall, but he DOES have the ability to have a successful future. Why should he waste his potential? To follow a dream that won't come true? That's idiotic

Besides, Chihaya never seemed to give much of a shit about him until AFTER he leaves. Before that he may as well have been furniture

Well, you're a sunbro so I'll take you seriously. :)
>> he wants to become someone who doesn't run away. He chases karuta to prove to himself that even if there is something that is intimidating and not necessarily worth his time, he will try for it so he knows he isn't a coward. Of course, it's definitely agreeable that karuta is, in most respects, a waste of time other than for the passionate, but tbh he's become passionate through force and must satisfy his perfectionism or else he won't be satisfied.
Apr 19, 2016 1:08 AM

Nov 2015
notsomacho said:
Sekaiou said:

Trolling is cute.

Well if you are not trolling.... Then do you at least realize that this manga is about Karuta and Karuta player's passion for it, right?

If you think that Taichi is just wasting his life on a boring game like Karuta, well Taichi isn't the only one. But that's the main point, even though they can do something else, even though they won't earn any cents from playing, they still stick with it
For salty fans
Apr 19, 2016 4:28 AM
Mar 2016
If Suetsugu plan to end this in the upcoming Meijin tournament then it will be Arata who will become the next Meijin
But if she want to drag this manga for longer, then Sou will still be the Meijin then Arata will beat him next year.

Just like Shinobu and Chihaya who are destined rival for the Queen Title.
It's the same for Sou and Arata.

Even when Arata was still a child they were already linked to become each other's opponent.
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v20/c107/19.html

and with that his promised to his grandpa and his dream
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v20/c107/24.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v20/c106/26.html

And this settled it
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v20/c107/31.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v21/c109/1.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v25/c132/24.html

Arata also had experienced the same way that Chihaya did - when the card started to look black.
But Murao brought him back immediately
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v21/c110/20.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v21/c110/22.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v21/c110/24.html
and so the black cards became clear again
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v21/c110/25.html

So I guess in the end once Arata started to feel down again.
It will be Murao or those people from Fukui who will save him this time, they will be the ones to help him move on from the past that he got stucked with.
As we can see he was starting to appreciate them slowly.
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v27/c140/18.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v27/c140/11.html
He will realize that although the time he spent with Chihaya and Taichi are important, the time he spent with the people from Fukui are also important. There are also things that have to be thankful for.

Taichi have his friends and Harada as his inspiration.
Arata will have it too, but it will be those people from Fukui who supported him all this time.

Some people say it will be Taichi because that is Harada's dream
Harada's dream was to become a Meijin and for Shiranami to produce a Meijin.
Murao's dream was also to become a Meijin but he was never able to become one or be in a Meijin qualifier.
Arata's dream was also to become a Meijin and he went through a lot for that.

So it's tied up for Taichi and Arata when it comes to reason.
Taichi is the great mountain or the river that Arata will have to pass through in order for him to become the Meijin. He is his formidable rival.

Arata dedicated his whole life solely for that dream. He have the talent and worked hard for it.
It was his long time dream
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v01/c001/28.html
subarashiniApr 19, 2016 4:54 AM
Apr 19, 2016 5:25 PM

Sep 2014
MTKN9068 said:
notsomacho said:

Well if you are not trolling.... Then do you at least realize that this manga is about Karuta and Karuta player's passion for it, right?

If you think that Taichi is just wasting his life on a boring game like Karuta, well Taichi isn't the only one. But that's the main point, even though they can do something else, even though they won't earn any cents from playing, they still stick with it

Well, failure in competition is inevitable. No one can stay on top forever and only a tiny percentage even get the chance to compete against the best for even a moment. Taichi leaving was a great opportunity to take his character down that route. Anime rarely shows what might happen if someone decides to quit their passion and pursue something that has a higher chance of success. I want Taichi to be successful and I don't think karuta will bring him that success. He has the talent to be much more than what he aspires to be
Apr 19, 2016 5:44 PM

Feb 2011
notsomacho said:
MTKN9068 said:

Well, failure in competition is inevitable. No one can stay on top forever and only a tiny percentage even get the chance to compete against the best for even a moment. Taichi leaving was a great opportunity to take his character down that route. Anime rarely shows what might happen if someone decides to quit their passion and pursue something that has a higher chance of success. I want Taichi to be successful and I don't think karuta will bring him that success. He has the talent to be much more than what he aspires to be

If we are going to talk about "reality" what you are saying may make sense. Why waste your time on Karuta when you can be more successful in life without Karuta.? However we are talking about Chihayafuru, so what you're saying now will not make sense because that's not what the manga is about.
Apr 19, 2016 7:20 PM

Mar 2014
notsomacho said:
MTKN9068 said:

what Ayumi said about the manga being a karuta manga rings most true,
but even beside that, Taichi is still excelling in the other areas of his life! he's still doing better than everyone else everywhere else, so why not try for a strange area like karuta?
Oct 2, 2016 5:47 AM

Nov 2015
Give us your inside about ch.173
For salty fans
Oct 2, 2016 8:46 PM
Oct 3, 2016 2:59 AM

Nov 2015
Thank youuuuuuu :)
For salty fans
Dec 4, 2016 8:24 AM
Oct 2016
Nunnally03 said:

~~~~~~~~~~~
As to why:

~~~~~~~~~~

Usually I am only joining the discussion in MF, but since the forum is very quiet... I read your post. What do you mean about the theme of change? Are you saying that Suetusugu is changing her plot?
Dec 4, 2016 11:55 AM

Dec 2015
@Salalufachi

Lol I completely forgot about that post so I had to re-read it again and looks like I didn't made myself clear.
When I talked about the "theme of change", I wasn't talking about Suetsugu changing her plot.

Well then, I hope I made myself clear now.
Nunnally03Dec 7, 2016 2:18 AM
Dec 6, 2016 8:57 PM

Dec 2016
I really think that Arata will become the Meijin as he so desires but I'm still a little confused about whether he will get Chihaya or not . Chihaya on the other hand , I want her to achieve her goal. As for Taichi I really want a happy ending for him, I really loved his character development throughout this series , I feel like I could relate to him more easily as he is what you can call more human having his set of follies regrets and a determination to not be a coward and face them head on. His unchanging undying love for Chihaya makes him more endeering to me. He loved her for herself but well I don't blame Chihaya as its her own forte to accept or reject someone , cause it is not necessary for you to like every other person who loves you, but I would have felt a little better if she could have given him a least bit of acknowledgement rather than ignoring it altogether ....something like Kana chan responding to Nikuman kun's feelings rather than being totally ignorant .

As for Chihaya Arata ending I don't mind that too if its done with a more positive ground rather than both being just Karuta freaks because in that preference even Shinobu suits him better as I feel there is more chemistry between the two than him and Chihaya , so I hope I get to see a little more of Arata and Chihaya before that ending.

It seems like since I'm a Pokemonfan too Arata is just like Gary appearing at tournaments only with little bit here and there . Chi is like Ash who never seems to win, although that is the best part I love about her her never ending determination.
Jan 5, 2017 7:22 AM

Oct 2012
Hi Chihayafuru fans,
If you are a Taichi fan, we made a new Taichi thread for his fans. Here's the link if any of you are interested:
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=72279

hope to see you soon!
May 5, 2017 8:04 PM
Jul 2018
Suetsugu-sensei collaborated with Aoyama-sensei in an event preceding the theatrical release of the 21st Conan film. An animated film with a karuta theme. I think it bears mentioning in this thread because of the the following Japanese text snippet, quoted from the transcript of the conversation during the event. Suetsugu is quoted as having said:
早く蘭ちゃんを安心させてあげて!と思います。笑 でも、そうしたら話が終わっちゃうのかな?とも思ったり。。。だからみなさんも想像するんでしょうね。私、京極君も好きなんですよ。園子ちゃんとのシーンがみたいですね!

If I understand that correctly, it doesn’t come as a complete surprise that she would say something like this at a joint event like that - but I hope to convey the positive side of such a remark. It seems to me that Suetsugu means this as a mild admonition of the audience and not as an indication that she herself thinks about stories in those terms. Not necessarily and certainly not exclusively.

... and to come back to some of my earliest comments in this thread. A smily face, a star and a crescent moon, those are the images as I see them on the three buttons Chihaya wears in elementary school. Still curious if those might have any significance for later chapters. They've been echoed here and there.
removed-userMay 6, 2017 8:39 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.