Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 26, 2015 5:34 PM

Mar 2012
Lately I've been having trouble finding new series to involve myself in. I check the recommendations and works by the same author and so on but I feel like that creates a pretty small circle of stuff to read. Does anybody have any particular sources (news sites, specific forums, whatever) that they use to learn about/find new stuff to read? I'm not particularly interested in most of the very popular ones and am interested in more independent or experimental series. Any help is appreciated (as well as any specific manga recommendations you might have)!
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Nov 26, 2015 5:56 PM

Jan 2014
I go on the websites I read my manga on, go to advanced search, and pick out what types of genres I want to read.
Nov 26, 2015 5:59 PM

Sep 2009
Scroll through gigantic lists of manga.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 26, 2015 6:01 PM

Jul 2015
Recommendation forum, stuff by the same author/illustrator, stuff by the same scanlation group, random manga on batoto, advanced search on here or where I read my manga, asking someone I know

Following scanlation groups that put out stuff you like is a good way to find new and experimental stuff.
Nov 26, 2015 6:12 PM

Mar 2012
Doomcat55 said:

Following scanlation groups that put out stuff you like is a good way to find new and experimental stuff.

Thanks, I'd thought about doing this before and will probably start now. Any in particular you like?

HeyHarp said:
I go on the websites I read my manga on, go to advanced search, and pick out what types of genres I want to read.

I'm not super interested in particular genres (I like everything) as opposed to particular moods or tones, levels of depth, interesting art, etc

MortalMelancholy said:
Scroll through gigantic lists of manga.

That's what I'm trying to avoid :(
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Nov 26, 2015 7:27 PM

Feb 2014
I either look for the same author, or search with certain "genre" inside my mind. Last option is to use random search.
Nov 26, 2015 7:31 PM

Jul 2015
Have other people find it for you of course!

Jokes aside, there's no need to go sifting through endless pieces of crap-manga, just go to the most popular of any manga site and see what other people like. I hate to say it, but they're popular for a reason.
Nov 26, 2015 7:46 PM

Mar 2012
Kyoukek said:

Jokes aside, there's no need to go sifting through endless pieces of crap-manga, just go to the most popular of any manga site and see what other people like. I hate to say it, but they're popular for a reason.

I don't really have an opinion on this either way, but my tastes tend away most of the manga that tend to be popular. I had my shonen/shoujo phase a while back
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Nov 26, 2015 7:47 PM

Jul 2012
My plan to read list

Or I go in a genre I like and just read whatever

Or my scanlation group's manga
Nov 26, 2015 8:59 PM

May 2014
tvtropes
Nov 26, 2015 10:20 PM

Jan 2011
Scanlation groups, browsing lists by genre/author, threads on /a/.
Occasionally picking through the toplist here.

Nov 27, 2015 5:45 PM

Jun 2012
Honestly, I do it like I did when I was like 12 years old...

I just go to my local comic book store or Chapters, look through the displayed manga or the spines on the shelf until I see a cover or name that catches my eye, and then I just take a quick peek at the back synopsis and the first few pages (or the entire chapter if I have time).

For me looking through the piles of books to find one that looks like I will enjoy is half the fun, but it does burn a hole in your pocket after a while... and you can end up wasting money on a series you might not end up finishing.

Not sure if that will help ya, but you can find some really good series you might not have heard of otherwise. For instance, I recently found a series called Prophecy (Yokouhan on MAL) that is really good.
Nov 27, 2015 6:00 PM

Mar 2014
I click on the manga I enjoyed and check the recommendations if there are any good, check the ratings and reviews and the genres then decide to put it on PTW.

Or I stalk profiles with high manga affinity and look up their favorites and good ratings on their manga list and then the same thing like above, check genre and reviews and ratings.
Nov 28, 2015 1:54 PM

Mar 2012
Dissociative said:
I would highly suggest using mangaupdates if you don't use it already. I'm personally always finding lots of lesser known things to read via that site. It's a great resource since you can search by genres, demographics, themes, scanlation groups and tags/categories you enjoy.

I also check up on companies I know release what I like such as Vertical for example. I'd say other than that ANN has articles at times as well as a manga forum section, you could also use advanced search on various reading sites as well. I also browse through bookdepository for upcoming English releases and read up on what catches my interest.

I hope that helps.

thanks, this is helpful
mangaupdates has been useful based on a brief scan of features
was sad to see the number of defunct scanlation groups from 2004 though, for some reason abandoned blogs or websites or scanlation groups touch a nerve for me
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Nov 28, 2015 3:12 PM

May 2013
I often read weekly manga ranking. There's a lot of popular manga - bigger chance you'll find something interesting to read. I check recommendations on the profile of my favorite manga or search in list of mangas published in some magazine.
Nov 28, 2015 5:54 PM

Sep 2013
Checking the manga sales threads let's you see all the new ones that are selling and are popular.
Nov 29, 2015 4:24 AM
Feb 2015
HeyHarp said:

This,
or at least in my case, i just block genre i definitely don't want to read (like yaoi, josei, etc)
That way you get a pretty huge selection to pick
Nov 29, 2015 5:31 AM

Oct 2015
i use advance search at mangafox and just filter the genre of the manga i am looking for usually i want to read a manga which has already been completed
Dec 4, 2015 2:07 PM

Dec 2015
Same problem as you.. I do advanced search and read the popular ones.. Ask recommendations.. Check blogs.. Forums Sites..

I feel like I have read the majority of the popular mangas so now I am looking for those "HIDDEN JEWEL-types" I am afraid to miss out those...
Dec 5, 2015 4:41 AM

May 2013
I go through the top Manga list pn MAL and check out every title on KissManga. If it doesn't catch my interest within a couple pages, I dismiss it. Otherwise, I either continue reading it or add it to my PTR.
Dec 5, 2015 7:52 AM

Mar 2012
Chubasa37 said:
Same problem as you.. I do advanced search and read the popular ones.. Ask recommendations.. Check blogs.. Forums Sites..

I feel like I have read the majority of the popular mangas so now I am looking for those "HIDDEN JEWEL-types" I am afraid to miss out those...

yep same boat. or if i haven't read them i know the tropes or am not interested.

akmal5d said:
Manga updates. Choose genre I like. start from the highest rated.

yeah but then i'll run out and the top manga are pretty similar everywhere
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 5, 2015 11:04 AM

Sep 2015
I usually look up at blogs of people who like the same genre/mangaka as me. Or if I'm really that desperate, I would just go to scanlations' website and browse for anything decent.

If you can't find anything, why not try broadening your manga taste? I used to not like josei, but now I do.
Dec 5, 2015 8:49 PM

Sep 2013
Yeah, I usually check out other works by my fave scantalation group. Or ask around for recs ^,^ Making friends with avid manga readers helps a lot since they can give you more personalized recommendations.
Dec 15, 2015 8:22 AM

Jan 2014
Look through recommendations.

"With all due respect, if you keep running your mouth, I'm gonna lose it."
Dec 15, 2015 10:24 AM

Dec 2015
Scroll like a bitch
Dec 15, 2015 12:25 PM

Apr 2012
HeyHarp said:
Doomcat55 said:
Recommendation forum, stuff by the same author/illustrator, stuff by the same scanlation group, random manga on batoto, advanced search on here or where I read my manga, asking someone I know

And choosing from MAL's top list (-> usually a bad idea)
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 15, 2015 12:50 PM
Apr 2015
I don't know, actualy. It just kinds of happen.
Dec 26, 2015 6:06 AM

Jul 2012
scroll on bunch of manga, or I'll use google or some social media sites.
but these past few days I actually bump into this site, it's called mangasaurus it has different kinds of tags so whether you like it having childhood friends and stuffs, loser protag, smart protag, male lead falling in love first, live-in lovers those kinds of tags xD but I'm not using the site for reading, I only use it for seeing some nice manga that has nice tags.

More topics from this board

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

379 by LyLord »»
6 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Today, 1:00 AM

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
Yesterday, 11:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.