Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 27, 2015 4:47 PM

Jan 2014
Oct 27, 2015 4:50 PM

Jun 2013
Here is your answer
Oct 27, 2015 5:00 PM

Oct 2013
I think it's an Asian thing. Probably the product of decades of brainwashing by Tobacco companies, who had a hand in lots of Asian movies, TV shows, and probably anime too.

Korea, Japan and China (mostly in the past) were all under the influence of "smoking = cool". The Chinese government has been very draconian about these kind of the things in the recent years though, and their propaganda is expectedly stronger than any Tobacco company's.

It's almost as successful a marketing campaign as diamond rings.
Oct 27, 2015 5:16 PM

Feb 2015
My theory is this one:
When we are worried about something, we pay attention to it. For example, if your house is on fire, you stop what you're doing (eating, watching TV, playing games...)and focus your actions on extinguishing the fire.
Smoking while fighting (or confronting a threat) gives the impression of not being worried about what is going on.
Being calm, serious and/or expresionless helps to increase the possibility of being considered badass by watchers.
My theory applies to every superficial/daily action: eating (Osekkai Bentou from Code Breaker), brushing the hair (Koro-sensei from Ansatsu Kyoushitsu), etc...

Oh I forgot to tell something:

In the past, cigars weren't easy to get, cigars were a symbol of status/power/wealth. It's common to see men proudly showing Havana cigars and offering them to their guests in old movies/series. The highest command smokes cigar in movies/series too.

Women who smoke cigar were considered elegant/sexy. I guess it was a symbol of wealth/power/status too. The protocol was asking men to light it: he shows his manner and she shows her elegance and/or sexiness. Asking her before she askes for it was correct too.
DuskSunDawnOct 27, 2015 6:08 PM
Oct 27, 2015 5:18 PM

Apr 2014
This scene wouldn't be as good if JP didn't smoke, it just adds flare to the character.

Oct 28, 2015 12:24 AM

Jan 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
This scene wouldn't be as good if JP didn't smoke, it just adds flare to the character.

He could just as well unwrap a lollipop.
Oct 28, 2015 12:56 AM

Apr 2013
The biggest badass in anime disagrees.
Oct 28, 2015 1:04 AM

Oct 2013
CondemneDio said:
Milk_is_Special said:

He could just as well unwrap a lollipop.

Gin-sensei approves.

Oct 28, 2015 1:27 AM

May 2015
Equitum said:
Honestly I find characters who smoke in anime to be pretty badass most of the time. But that may be just because the characters were already badass without the smoking.

Addicts turn into pussies without their cigarettes. I've seen 'badasses' who smoke start to cry because they couldn't get cigs.

It makes you less badass.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 28, 2015 2:56 AM

Nov 2012
Not all.
Oct 28, 2015 3:42 AM

Oct 2013
sekai seifuku did a great job of highlighting how weak smokers become without access to cigarettes, not only that, but one of the main characters is basically a walking criticism of the smoking=badass trait as he openly uses it to hide his feeble personality.

Oct 28, 2015 3:45 AM

Jan 2014
mayukachan said:
Because they're not speaking

This ^

And it's not only in anime. In movies, too. Actually, it all started in the movies.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Oct 28, 2015 4:06 AM
Jul 2018
cuz they make them kuul
Oct 28, 2015 4:31 AM

Jul 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

Addicts turn into pussies without their cigarettes. I've seen 'badasses' who smoke start to cry because they couldn't get cigs.

... Damn what are they smocking? Crack? I smoke weed and cigs, weed has pretty much no withdrawal, and tobacco... it's annoying but not going to make me cry lol.
Oct 28, 2015 4:42 AM

Jun 2015
Nobue isn't exactly badass...

OT: I don't know, I don't think that smoking alone makes a character cool, or badass.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Oct 28, 2015 7:57 AM

Sep 2015
Actually the best kiss scene I've seen in an anime involves cigarettes and it's not as weird as it sounds...
Oct 28, 2015 8:13 AM

May 2015
Clebardman said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

... Damn what are they smocking? Crack? I smoke weed and cigs, weed has pretty much no withdrawal, and tobacco... it's annoying but not going to make me cry lol.

How much do you smoke?

It depends on how addicted you are. Nicotine is pretty addicting. I've seen people who can't imagine doing without cigarettes.
Oct 28, 2015 8:35 AM

Aug 2015
Smoking was considered cool in Hollywood movies/American TV maybe 2 - 3 decades ago and that had an influence on Anime. Every form of art has a degree of influence on others.
Oct 28, 2015 9:46 AM

Nov 2014
Puchkov said:
Smoking was considered cool in Hollywood movies/American TV maybe 2 - 3 decades ago and that had an influence on Anime. Every form of art has a degree of influence on others.

Still is today. I dont know about non western countries but there is so many kids today who smokes (now a days vape) because it looks ''cool''
Oct 28, 2015 9:52 AM

Jul 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
How much do you smoke?

It depends on how addicted you are. Nicotine is pretty addicting. I've seen people who can't imagine doing without cigarettes.

Went from 20-30 cigs/day to nothing during 2-3 monthes a couple times. I'm back at at least 20 now ^^'
Oct 28, 2015 10:44 AM

Jul 2015
smoking is for weak willed degenerates
any character that uses them to appear cool i just see as immature
Oct 28, 2015 10:59 AM

Dec 2012
Because double standards and the fact that anime has not branched out into smellOvision so the awful smell that clings to everything they own is gone.
KruszerOct 28, 2015 11:03 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 28, 2015 11:02 AM

Jul 2015
Kruszer said:
Because double standards and the fact that anime has not branched out into smellOvision so the awful smell is gone.

Yeah, the smell in night clubs was atrocious when smoking was allowed. Drying sweat smells 10 times better

/sarcasm
Oct 28, 2015 11:20 AM

Feb 2010
Because anime characters don't actually smoke, they light cigarettes with style and then put them out 10 seconds later to end the scene.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 28, 2015 11:40 AM

Jan 2013
So smoking is edgy?

Fuck off ya sheltered weeaboos

Smoking is a godsend and I'd go back if it weren't for cost-related issues.
JinxMe said:
I don't thinks it's cool. It's just that they give a cool character a bad habit to show that he supposedly doesn't give a fuck about anything.
>bad habit

LOL
Oct 28, 2015 11:44 AM

Jul 2015
I heard living could result in death. Such a bad habit.
Oct 28, 2015 12:03 PM

Jun 2014
Nope, there's nothing cool/badass about it.

Oct 28, 2015 1:08 PM

Jan 2009
Seiya said:

It lets you legally "poison" the people near you, that's like the coolest thing ever

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Oct 28, 2015 1:10 PM

Jun 2014
_Peksi said:
Seiya said:

It lets you legally "poison" the people near you, that's like the coolest thing ever

But it also poisons you, which isn't cool at all.

Oct 28, 2015 1:19 PM

Jun 2015
I never smoke in real life and I never will but, for some reason, I kinda like characters who smoke. Makes them look cool and stuff.

Oct 28, 2015 1:22 PM

Jan 2009
Seiya said:
_Peksi said:

Well that's why you fight poison with poison and drink alcohol before/after/during smoking

Oct 28, 2015 1:23 PM

Jun 2014
_Peksi said:
Seiya said:

Well that's why you fight poison with poison and drink alcohol before/after/during smoking

Sorry, I'm not into that stuff.

Oct 28, 2015 1:57 PM

Sep 2014
Smoking IS cool

you're holding a fire in your hands and breathing smoke. How could that not be cool?
Oct 28, 2015 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
_Peksi said:
Seiya said:

Yea you're gonna fuck yourself up with one poison, so why not do it more. The only correct choice is not to poison yourself in the first place.
Oct 28, 2015 3:25 PM

May 2015
Clebardman said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
How much do you smoke?

Went from 20-30 cigs/day to nothing during 2-3 monthes a couple times. I'm back at at least 20 now ^^'

That's a lot.

Maybe you're not addicted - I'm not an expert. I've seen how addicts act like hen they can't smoke. It's sad.
Oct 28, 2015 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
CondemneDio said:
_Peksi said:

Yea you're gonna fuck yourself up with one poison, so why not do it more. The only correct choice is not to poison yourself in the first place.

There's no correct/incorrect choise, if the end result remains the same.

Oct 28, 2015 3:42 PM

Mar 2015
Inferno_Cop said:
Doomdoctor said:
Smoking isn't only to pander to edgelords, that's just your insecurities talking.

It is typical eroge fans never ending butthurt cry about people prefering Kiritsugu over emiya. Must discuss VN in every thread as well.

I have noticed.You going out of your way to point it whenever you get the chance when it isn't required actually makes me doubt the validity of your statement and wonder whether its the other way around.

Animestic said:
panders to edgelords quite a bit

people really mistook my previous comment.I had just watched an episode of Gintama where Gintoki was supposedly smoking ..eventually it turned out he was sucking a lolipop so hard that smoke was coming out from the other end.Gintoki was actually giving edgelord vibes(albeit mockingly) during that period of time.
AnimesticOct 28, 2015 3:46 PM
Oct 28, 2015 3:44 PM

Jan 2013
_Peksi said:

I would rather choose a painless, quick death over a disease-ridden, painful one, as lung cancer and other symptoms of smoking are quite a good example of the latter ones.
But each to their own, as long as they don't hurt others *coughsecondhandsmokingcough*
Oct 28, 2015 3:48 PM

Jan 2009
CondemneDio said:
_Peksi said:

I would rather choose a painless, quick death over a disease-ridden, painful one, as lung cancer and other symptoms of smoking are quite a good example of the latter ones.
But each to their own, as long as they don't hurt others *coughsecondhandsmokingcough*

Well you rarely get to choose how you die. It's really up to luck in the end, but yea I get your point.
In all honesty I do my best not to smoke near people, who don't smoke themselves. Unfortunately it's made harder by the fact someone people actually come closer so they can complain about it.

Oct 28, 2015 3:55 PM
Jan 2015
9 times out 10, it is.
My Queens

Oct 29, 2015 2:44 AM

Jan 2014
daky-kun said:
Nobue isn't exactly badass...

OT: I don't know, I don't think that smoking alone makes a character cool, or badass.

Well, she looked cool, calm and composed to me, thus kinda badass... (at least most of the time)
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Oct 29, 2015 3:05 AM

Jul 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
That's a lot.

Maybe you're not addicted - I'm not an expert. I've seen how addicts act like hen they can't smoke. It's sad.

Nicotine is quite addictive, but since I know why my hands are shaking when I stop, I manage to keep it under control. I had to take care of an heroin addict for nearly a month before he got his substitution, I know a couple alcoholics who tried to stop, nicotine addiction is nothing, trust me.
Oct 30, 2015 9:48 AM

May 2015
Clebardman said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
That's a lot.

Nicotine is quite addictive, but since I know why my hands are shaking when I stop, I manage to keep it under control. I had to take care of an heroin addict for nearly a month before he got his substitution, I know a couple alcoholics who tried to stop, nicotine addiction is nothing, trust me.

All the information I got says it's very addicting, around the level is alcohol. Heroin is the worst from what I heard.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Best yellow haired girl?

Spunkert - Jan 31

42 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago

» What popular anime seems to be forgotten ( 1 2 3 )

Kaneki_Bozo - Apr 9, 2021

112 by DarkFirefly72 »»
12 minutes ago

» does anime makes you perfectionist?

deg - 7 hours ago

11 by Serafos »»
27 minutes ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - May 4

35 by TRC_Randy »»
35 minutes ago

» How much time do you spend discussing anime?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

6 by ST63LTH »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.