Forum Settings
Forums

What's the point of reading the manga if the anime...

New
Oct 21, 2015 10:57 AM

Jul 2012
...adapted all of the manga AND was a good adaptation.

If I already watched the anime, I do so to "rewatch" it. If I didn't watch the anime, I would prefer to do so first because the experience is interesting without reading it in advance. If I were to rewatch the anime too quickly, I would get bored but reading the manga can grab my attention. Also, the manga is sometimes more crisp in art like Eyeshield 21 or Tokyo Ghoul. I also like seeing if they changed the dialogue.

What about you guys?

Discuss.
MayukaOct 21, 2015 11:38 AM
Oct 21, 2015 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
That's why I'm not reading Knb XD
I always check in MangaUpdate if the manga got adapted full or no. If yes, then I will watch the anime, if no, then when I'm done with the anime I will read the manga.
Oct 21, 2015 11:13 AM

Apr 2013
If the anime is a good adaptation, I just don't bother with the manga.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 21, 2015 11:17 AM

Apr 2011
Both manga and anime adaptions give off a certain different perspective, even if it's the same title.
NefaynOct 21, 2015 11:43 AM
Oct 21, 2015 11:21 AM

Apr 2013
How many anime adaptation are better than the original source AND are adapting the whole thing anyway? THat's like, 0.01% of the anime adaptation, I don't think that's a case frequent enough to be a problem...
Oct 21, 2015 11:23 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's the reason I still haven't found any motivation for reading Fullmetal Alchemist or Monster
Oct 21, 2015 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
Well one reason is that manga is less censored than the anime most of the time(no I'm not talking just about fanservice)
With violent/bloody/gory series the anime usually ends up lacking 'cus of the censoring, even if the adaptation is good otherwise.
It also applies for "offensive" stuff 'cus people these days can't handle imaginary characters doing something offensive and yes fanservice is also more explicit sometimes.

Aside from that mood/tone of the series can vary between the adapatations, even if they follow the same canon

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Oct 21, 2015 11:27 AM

Jul 2012
Zefyris said:
How many anime adaptation are better than the original source AND are adapting the whole thing anyway? THat's like, 0.01% of the anime adaptation, I don't think that's a case frequent enough to be a problem...

Fmab
Itazura na Kiss
Major
Kuroko no Basuke
Bakuman
Nodame
Honey and Clover
Shigatsu
Cross game
Monster
Hal

Just to list a few.
Oct 21, 2015 11:28 AM

Apr 2013
I don't re read if it was a good adaption.

I re read light novels though, mostly because the adaptions are almost always horrible.
Oct 21, 2015 11:29 AM

Apr 2013
mayukachan said:
Zefyris said:

Fmab
Itazura na Kiss
Major
Nodame
Honey and Clover
Shigatsu
Cross game
Monster
Hal

Just to list a few.

Monster and FMAB anime are better than the source material? Are you serious here?
Oct 21, 2015 11:30 AM

Feb 2015
The manga usually looks prettier
Oct 21, 2015 11:30 AM

Jul 2012
Zefyris said:
Monster and FMAB anime are better than the source material? Are you serious here?
maybe not monster, but Fmab is rated highly in the top anime list...
Oct 21, 2015 11:32 AM

Dec 2012
Nah I beg to differ. I thought Monster's adaptation was inferior to the manga.
It was a lot more atmospheric in the manga, really couldn't get into the mood from the anime.
Oct 21, 2015 11:33 AM

Jul 2012
Lewd said:
Nah I beg to differ. I thought Monster's adaptation was inferior to the manga.
It was a lot more atmospheric in the manga, really couldn't get into the mood from the anime.
whoa, you finished it??
Oct 21, 2015 11:35 AM

Dec 2012
Yes! :D
Oct 21, 2015 11:36 AM

Sep 2013
Manga:
Some things just don't transition well from manga to anime.
Faster to read.
More details.
Art is better (depends on how good the artist is)
No censorship.
More variety.
The black and white color might be a turn off but I like it.
Oct 21, 2015 11:42 AM

Sep 2015
Well I haven't read that much manga yet but I certainly do enjoy reading more than watching. That might be why I'm reading noragami atm.
Oct 21, 2015 11:42 AM

Jun 2012
mayukachan said:
Zefyris said:
maybe not monster, but Fmab is rated highly in the top anime list...

FMA's manga is better than Brotherhood since the first 1/3 isn't rushed and it has all those fun chapters and character introductions that were adapted or changed entirely in the 2003 series
Oct 21, 2015 11:44 AM

Jan 2014
I don't read the manga if the anime adaption had a faithful adaption.
Oct 21, 2015 11:44 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Zefyris said:

This. I'd say something like OP describes has only happened to me with Akage no Anne.

Not a manga adaptation, but a very thorough adaptation of the Anne of Green Gables.
Oct 21, 2015 11:58 AM

Apr 2013
mayukachan said:
Zefyris said:

Fmab
Itazura na Kiss
Major
Kuroko no Basuke
Bakuman
Nodame
Honey and Clover
Shigatsu
Cross game
Monster
Hal

Just to list a few.

Mushishi and Parasyte, too.
What's wrong with the Monster adaptation? I heard it was very faithful and with minimal amount of filler.
5. Is it actually good?

Oct 21, 2015 11:58 AM

Sep 2014
There is none.
Anime is the superior medium and if the anime covers all of it I won't bother reading the manga.
Oct 21, 2015 12:06 PM

Mar 2015
Tokyo Ghoul is a must manga but not so much Anime,at the same time some anime that are good maybe they didn't adapt the manga so much so you would be curious to see what happens in the manga.
Oct 21, 2015 12:08 PM

Jul 2012
geralt said:
What's wrong with the Monster adaptation? I heard it was very faithful and with minimal amount of filler.
wait. Mushishi adapted everything from the mango?

And ppl don't like monster animes slow pacing
Oct 21, 2015 12:12 PM

Feb 2013
If I'm already watching enough anime, or if the story isn't interesting enough for me to want to sit down and watch through something at 20ish minute intervals than manga it is.

FMAB and Monster also are not better then they're manga counterparts.
Oct 21, 2015 12:14 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
mayukachan said:
geralt said:
With all these episodes in total and only 10 volumes worth of content or something, I'd be surprised if they left anything out
Oct 21, 2015 12:14 PM

Apr 2013
mayukachan said:
geralt said:

It did. The last movie covered the last 2 chapters of the manga, so there's literally nothing left to adapt.
Eh, I thought the slow pace suited the show just fine, but I guess going at your preferred speed is indeed better.
5. Is it actually good?

Oct 21, 2015 12:15 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
mayukachan said:
geralt said:

Yes. All 50 chapters have been adapted, and rather faithfully so.

Oct 21, 2015 12:16 PM

Jul 2012
Whoa awesome. I need to finish Mushishi asap!
Oct 21, 2015 12:16 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
geralt said:
mayukachan said:

It did. The last movie covered the last 2 chapters of the manga, so there's literally nothing left to adapt.
Eh, I thought the slow pace suited the show just fine, but I guess going at your preferred speed is indeed better.
Yeah manga is much easier to adjust your own pacing to

Like I think Aria's manga is waaaayyy better than the anime because I could literally read that in a day, whereas the entire anime took me over a year. That doesn't mean the content is any different, you can just go through it at a different pace
Oct 21, 2015 12:18 PM

Oct 2012
It goes both ways for me, I can't get too motivated to watch an anime of a good completed manga.
Oct 21, 2015 12:41 PM

May 2015
Different mediums tell stories differently. It's interesting to get the same story in two different mediums, then compare & contrast.

I'd only do it for stories who are have interesting enough ideas though.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 21, 2015 3:28 PM

May 2015
mayukachan said:
...adapted all of the manga AND was a good adaptation.

But it's still just an adaptation. Reading manga allows you to be aware of how everything supposed to be originally with a lot more details.
By the way this refers not only to manga but to any original source. For instance I won't bother reading manga that was based on novel, I'll read novel instead.
TenOct 21, 2015 3:36 PM
Oct 21, 2015 3:38 PM

Apr 2013
Niddy said:
Both manga and anime adaptions give off a certain different perspective, even if it's the same title.
Oct 21, 2015 3:42 PM

Jun 2015
You could easily ask the opposite: why watch an anime adaption of a manga that you've already read?

The answer (at least for me) is to see what the different medium brings to the table. When I watch an anime adaption of a manga I've already read, I do so to see how it performs in the new medium - how it adds to or detracts from the experience as a whole. After all, watching an anime is dramatically different from reading a manga - for what I hope are obvious reasons. I for one find it enjoyable to watch an anime when I already have read the manga it was adapted from, as I get to see how it is both different and the same and enjoy the story and characters in a new way. I expect the reverse is also true - that one might read the manga of an anime they've already watched to see how it works in that medium, and to enjoy it in anew.
Oct 21, 2015 3:43 PM

Dec 2012
I personally wouldn't bother if I was personally satisfied with the anime. There are only two reasons I'd pick up the source (manga, novel, etc.):

A) If the anime was not a full adaptation and the source continues on past where the anime left off.

B) If it's a light novel. I really enjoy reading novels and if there is a domestic release of a light novel series, I will try to support it. Chalk it up to me being frustrated in the past with anime related novels I was reading and enjoying being randomly canceled (Crest of the Stars, Moribito, Scrapped Princess), so I decided to try and pick up as many as I could to attempt to support the efforts of companies like Yen Press who release them.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 21, 2015 3:48 PM

Sep 2013
Eh... Unless there is a serious deviation, I don't know why people would read the manga after watching the anime unless you're really a fan of the series. A lot of the time the animation is reflective of the manga drawings to a satisfactory degree.

You're more likely to enjoy reading a manga after watching the anime than vice versa since your view of the characters will be influenced by the anime rather than ruined by the anime.
There's no need for all this tension.
Oct 21, 2015 5:02 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
There's no point.

I wouldn't read the manga if the anime already adapted most of it until the story was finished.

Anime>Manga all day

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 21, 2015 6:52 PM

Jul 2014
For those circumstances where the entire manga has been adapted faithfully, such as with Mushishi, reading the manga after watching the anime gives you a chance to enjoy the same story in a different way with a different atmosphere. I personally find that details and dialogue sink in more while I'm reading because it requires a bit more attention to read than it does to watch.
Oct 21, 2015 7:33 PM

Nov 2014
Well, sometimes the manga is better when explaining things and is easier to follow a story, also they sometimes add dialogues or details that the anime must omit.

In other words, manga = more detailed with best pacing/ anime= more fun to watch

There are exception though...

In my case if i watch the manga after the anime is for the sake of understanding a bit better the story.
Oct 21, 2015 7:34 PM

Jul 2012
If you really liked the story and want more the manga will give you that feeling of more stories and such, sometimes the manga continue running after the anime ends.

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

102 by Zimmu »»
1 minute ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

23 by ColourWheel »»
5 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

51 by KitsuFrost »»
10 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 7 hours ago

22 by GoddessLove »»
30 minutes ago

» What are you watching right now??

Nashiro18 - Apr 21

44 by ProGoddess »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.