Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 26, 2015 7:20 AM

Jan 2014
In "Akira", there is a character named Akira which is important to the plot.. .

In "From the New World", the setting is in the future and the theme music is named after Dvorak's 9th symphony...

In "Tokyo Ghoul", there are ghouls in Tokyo... (duh)

In "Angel Beats", there is an angel and

In "Hunter x Hunter", there are people who want to become hunters..

In "Charlotte", there is a female named Charlotte who became the love interest of the main character, but Charlotte is a robot who has psychokinetic powers and the main character killed her.. (EH, WHHATT??)

Jun Maeda , why is titled CHARLOTTE??

Bonus: and Clannad, Air, Kanon and Little Busters??

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags
MasterTengkorakJul 27, 2015 8:53 AM
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Jul 26, 2015 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
They stole my name.
Jul 26, 2015 10:54 AM

Jan 2013
Charlotte "spoiler". It isn't confirmed, but highly hinted towards:

Clannad means "familiy" in Irish.
Jul 26, 2015 12:35 PM

Feb 2015
Ruben_Jb said:
Charlotte "spoiler". It isn't confirmed, but highly hinted towards:

+1

When you first see the OP title screen there is a bunch of shooting stars coming from the sky with the characters looking at them. Then one of those shooting stars come from the left side to the right side and becomes part of the title of the series. That could be a hint about the name.

Here...... I just quickly put this screenshots together from the OP to illustrate it:

I’m talking about shooting stars, but Charlotte will most likely be the name of a comet, as previously stated by the user above me.

Anyway, this is just an assumption. Whatever it is, I hope to find out later on the story.

Jul 26, 2015 2:38 PM

Jan 2013
After all, "Charlotte" is the name of a comet IRL. Together with all these hints, you could say this is kinda confirmed now.
Jul 27, 2015 2:13 AM

Nov 2011
You know, I only figured why Angel Beats was named that in the last episode so you'll find your answer sooner or later.

Jul 27, 2015 8:37 AM

Jun 2014
peeyaj said:

Jun Maeda , why is titled CHARLOTTE??

Bonus: and Clannad, Air, Kanon and Little Busters??

Charlotte is probably

Clannad mean family in a language i don't remember.

Air I don't know I think it has a relation with

Kanon I don't know but I heard the anime is the same as a "Canon" music term which is play the same thing at different interval(hard to explain...)

Little busters is because the group of friend are called the little busters duh.
Jul 27, 2015 10:09 AM

Oct 2014
Hey guys, no idea on the comet, but:

Charlotte is the feminine form of Charles, which means "Adventure"
so far it has done so ;)
Jul 28, 2015 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
Comet? Source please.
Revvie-chan said:
Charlotte is the feminine form of Charles
Yeah, and the german version from Charles is Karlaz, it means "free man." Implying that certain girl does what she wants and saves espers who need 'help'.
Jul 28, 2015 2:30 AM

Nov 2014
Called it a comet since episode 1.

Jul 28, 2015 2:38 AM

Jun 2015
i wonder..

hmm

:3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2015 3:11 AM

Jan 2013
CharlRosso said:
Comet? Source please.
Revvie-chan said:
Charlotte is the feminine form of Charles
Yeah, and the german version from Charles is Karlaz, it means "free man." Implying that certain girl does what she wants and saves espers who need 'help'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/543_Charlotte

Charlotte meaning "friend of the discoverer" according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meanings_of_minor_planet_names:_501%E2%80%931000
Aug 2, 2015 12:00 AM

Apr 2015
Charlotte's Web, ain't it?
Aug 2, 2015 12:08 AM

Aug 2013
Kanon? Already explained in VN and anime by definition of music (don't remember which episode). It was really cool used in this anime context.

Little Busters? Lol, they named their group Little Busters?

Air, I think it is simple, it is all about the girl with wings.

Clannad?, yeah, good question.
rsc-plAug 2, 2015 12:12 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 2, 2015 12:09 AM

Nov 2013
Man_Lanz said:

No
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 2, 2015 12:17 AM

Apr 2015
Ghiffaris said:
Man_Lanz said:

No

Charlotte saves Wilbur from certain death from outside powers with her small 'power'.
It rings a bell.
Aug 2, 2015 12:27 AM

Oct 2012
Ruben_Jb said:
CharlRosso said:
Comet? Source please.

Charlotte meaning "friend of the discoverer" according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meanings_of_minor_planet_names:_501%E2%80%931000

543 Charlotte is an asteroid, not a comet. Err, correct me if I'm wrong. The definition of a "minor planet" is kind of conflicting.
EpicCh33seAug 2, 2015 12:33 AM
Aug 2, 2015 7:06 AM

Jan 2013
EpicCh33se said:
Ruben_Jb said:

543 Charlotte is an asteroid, not a comet. Err, correct me if I'm wrong. The definition of a "minor planet" is kind of conflicting.

Ah well, could be. But I found something:

> shooting star
> comet 76th
Aug 2, 2015 7:37 AM

Jul 2012
rsc-pl said:

It has been a long time since I watched Clannad so I can't say for sure but I remember that the title stands for CLANN AS DANGO. (btw, the world CLANN means family in Irish, don't ask me why)
Aug 2, 2015 9:36 PM

Jul 2013
CDSHT said:
rsc-pl said:

It has been a long time since I watched Clannad so I can't say for sure but I remember that the title stands for CLANN AS DANGO. (btw, the world CLANN means family in Irish, don't ask me why)

I'm pretty sure it was Clann As Dobhar
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Aug 17, 2015 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Episode 11 : Charlotte.

I do believe the same things : Charlotte would be a comet.

But we will know in ~ 4 weeks.
Aug 18, 2015 3:39 AM
Feb 2015
Charlotte could be the name of a character which'll play a major plot twist in the anime for the future of the series?
Aug 20, 2015 7:00 PM
Aug 2015
Charlotte is a french which means: dessert made of stewed fruit with bread covering, can be bread crumbs, sponge cake. this word is also a french female name.

why "charlotte" ?
based on my theory, it is used to describe nao the student council president.

"how"?
nao does not trust anyone, because her parents sold her off to the scientist, shes lost the ability to trust anyone ever since. as if shes built an invisible wall around herself.

well then back to the dessert ^^
the bread crumbs, sponge cake or bread is covering the stewed fruit. did it click ?
nao formed an invisible wall around herself to protect her self. hence the wall is the sponge cake.

*flashback* nao is actually a sweet, kind hearted and caring girl, kinda famous in her school before her breakout knowing shes a test subject.

woaahh did it click again ?
sweet kind and caring. hence the stewed fruit.

so that means this anime is named after the french word charlotte to describe nao.

i know im drunk
source: brain
Aug 20, 2015 7:01 PM

Jun 2015
crnflakes said:
Charlotte is a french which means: dessert made of stewed fruit with bread covering, can be bread crumbs, sponge cake. this word is also a french female name.

why "charlotte" ?
based on my theory, it is used to describe nao the student council president.

"how"?
nao does not trust anyone, because her parents sold her off to the scientist, shes lost the ability to trust anyone ever since. as if shes built an invisible wall around herself.

well then back to the dessert ^^
the bread crumbs, sponge cake or bread is covering the stewed fruit. did it click ?
nao formed an invisible wall around herself to protect her self. hence the wall is the sponge cake.

*flashback* nao is actually a sweet, kind hearted and caring girl, kinda famous in her school before her breakout knowing shes a test subject.

woaahh did it click again ?
sweet kind and caring. hence the stewed fruit.

so that means this anime is named after the french word charlotte to describe nao.

i know im drunk
source: brain

This is great. 10/10 theory.
Aug 20, 2015 9:45 PM

Sep 2014
Most likely something to do witg nao and/or comets since theh are so prelevant in the ED and a comet is always featured along side the title. A comet (and nao) are def related to why this anime is called charolette.

A great deal of the plot can be figured out from the messages in th OP. A lot of the words and messages are obscured too.
Aug 21, 2015 8:44 PM
Aug 2015
another theory is that charlotte can also mean a beautiful girl inside out. Tho they can come off as boring, but once a "charlotte" opens out they can be charming, kind intelligent and usually have pretty smiles.

i have a feeling that this is directed to nao? since she plays good part in the anime and the characteristic above seems to fit her, sorta. not to mention she is one of the Main characters in this series.

well then, comets.

yeah i think there are some relations between comets and nao,

comets are celestial objects consisting of a nucleus of ice and dust.
when near the sun, a tail of gas is formed. in old english they are called "long haired star"

so then back to nao. lets say nao is the comet and MCkun is the sun
several episodes into the series nao have this cold and boring impression coming out of her, but as the story builds up and she eventually gets closer to yuu she kinda changed dont u think ? from "comets" which is ice and dust to "long haired star" which sounds more feminine.

well tbh i dont know how to put it into words, cant blame you if you dont get what im saying, but hey.. this is what i think regarding the whole comets thing xD

much love ^^
Aug 21, 2015 10:41 PM

Oct 2012
Ruben_Jb said:
EpicCh33se said:

Ah well, could be. But I found something:

> shooting star
> comet 76th

I initially thought that was referencing Halley's Comet, since that has an orbital period of 75-76 years, and that reference is only supported by one of the texts appearing in the OP saying "75 Cycle."
Aug 21, 2015 11:27 PM

Jul 2015
If Charlotte is a commet

"You shall fall in love with someone who doesn't love you.
For not loving someone who did"

Aug 22, 2015 6:46 PM

Jan 2010
The causative meteor powers
The destructive meteor land
The meteróro miracle of the key that will save the day

One of the three
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Sep 11, 2015 9:17 AM

Sep 2015
There's a lot of theories about naming the anime Charlotte.

Some people believe that Charlotte is the comet found throughout the anime ( Especially the OP) and some people think that a new character (Charlotte) is going to show up in the anime and some even think that Charlotte is actually one of the characters.

This is my theory:

Collapse :Ayumi Otosaka
Hypnotism :Medoki
Ascertainment :Kumagami
Remove memory :Maedomori
Looting :Yū Otosaka
Obscure :Nao Tomori
Time leap :Shunsuke Otosaka
Teleport :Jōjirō Takajō
Evocation :Yusarin

Yes, Charlotte is actually the initials for the powers.Thanks for reading😆

If u liked our theory, please give us some support by liking our Facebook page www.facebook.com/animenewbs
Oct 3, 2015 11:30 AM

Oct 2012
They already mentioned that it was a comet. Why are people still so hung up about other theories?
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Feb 28, 2017 10:18 PM
Feb 2017
But her name is not charlotte
Jun 10, 2017 11:23 PM

Jan 2010
AnimeNewbs said:
There's a lot of theories about naming the anime Charlotte.

Some people believe that Charlotte is the comet found throughout the anime ( Especially the OP) and some people think that a new character (Charlotte) is going to show up in the anime and some even think that Charlotte is actually one of the characters.

This is my theory:

Collapse :Ayumi Otosaka
Hypnotism :Medoki
Ascertainment :Kumagami
Remove memory :Maedomori
Looting :Yū Otosaka
Obscure :Nao Tomori
Time leap :Shunsuke Otosaka
Teleport :Jōjirō Takajō
Evocation :Yusarin

Yes, Charlotte is actually the initials for the powers.Thanks for reading😆

If u liked our theory, please give us some support by liking our Facebook page www.facebook.com/animenewbs

haha, that's actually neet :D
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 4, 2018 2:33 AM
Feb 2018
Because there is a comet which cycles around the earth. The comet gives out dust that when inhaled by a human, the human gets super powers. The superhumans are basically the main stuff in the anime.
Sep 10, 2019 8:36 AM
Sep 2019
*Spoiler Alert*

It is named Charlotte based on the disease which causes young teenagers to have abilities. This disease is caused due to the asteroid/comet named 543 Charlotte. When the comet comes nearby, it releases some particles, which cause the young teenagers to gain abilities. It was said in the episode 10 'Looting'.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2015

649 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 11:49 AM

» Yuu's Ability

PenguinLam - Apr 18

37 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Apr 21, 8:27 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sakaitsu - Jul 4, 2015

652 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2015

886 by KumaGetsu »»
Apr 18, 10:21 PM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2015

459 by Tsunamii_ »»
Apr 6, 4:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.