Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jul 12, 2015 7:44 AM

Jul 2011
the only good thing about this episode was hanabishi sensei reaction after seeing the chair.

oh and also looking at how rape-able kobahayashi is

Paulo27 said:
This show is shit, just shit.
Can the trap die? That'd at least be a step in the right direction, fuck the trap, drags the little show has going for it right down to the bottom, the blushing shounen doesn't help but fuck the trap most of all.
lmao when the trap thought the teacher was going to flirt with him, this is all just fucking hilarious "the teacher was going to leave his 14 year old girlfriend and go for the 13 year old trap" Suuuuure, gotta get that 13 yo boypussy, amirite?
And of course, instead of killing your "rival" you kill your love, GOOD FUCKING JAAB!

you sounds bothered and conflicted...
doesh kobayashi makes you questioning your sexuality?? :(
milloJul 12, 2015 7:58 AM
Jul 12, 2015 7:58 AM

Jul 2011
Aoiyuki7 said:
Sukebe14 said:
not to mention such ridiculuos thing that victims wanted to be killed and turned into chairs

You will be surprised at the amount of weirdos in this world. Ever heard of idiots interested in being eaten by others/serve their own body part for dinner? Yeah well, that exists too.

i don't know the name of the medical condition, but some people who are extremely in love with someone, wouldn't be satisfied even with sex,they would get as phisically close to someone as possible, ev en if that means eating a part of who they love.

it's not as much weird as it lacks common sense(if you love someone you shouldn't hurt them)
Jul 12, 2015 8:41 AM
Oct 2012
1cebear said:
If you ask me, all those characters except Hashiba are completely insane.

I think Hashiba is pretty much the most cracked of the lot, he has obsessive love for Kobayashi as noted by his pushing the teacher away when she got too close to Kobayashi, his willingness to expose himself to the police for his sake, and that he doesn't react as much as he should to these horrific things because he knows he has to in order to remain with Kobayashi. I expect great things from him soon.

As for the general disgust people feel, I guess it is not surprising. People like to believe that the world is an ordered place, so when confronted by something outside of it, this causes them great anxiety. When this occurs they tend to lash out so they can normalize the situation. This is where the "blame the victim" comes into play, the person looks for something "she shouldn't have been at that place" or whatever in order to convince themselves why this couldn't have happened to them.

You can see this with how upset everyone is with Kobayashi. Rather than just accept that he is a boy that everyone thought was a girl because of his looks, and has since developed a perverse enjoyment in messing with people by acting MORE like a girl than even a girl can do (but remaining a man) so that even men get screwed up remembering that he is not a girl. That steps on so many landmines for most people its little wonder they hate him.

I am very curious whether 1 and 3 are going to be dealt with in this series. That would be so messed up that I shudder in eager anticipation.
Jul 12, 2015 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
I'm gonna say the only two things I like about this show are Akechi and the chairs.
Jul 12, 2015 1:00 PM

Jul 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
1cebear said:
If you ask me, all those characters except Hashiba are completely insane.

I think Hashiba is pretty much the most cracked of the lot, he has obsessive love for Kobayashi as noted by his pushing the teacher away when she got too close to Kobayashi, his willingness to expose himself to the police for his sake, and that he doesn't react as much as he should to these horrific things because he knows he has to in order to remain with Kobayashi. I expect great things from him soon.

As for the general disgust people feel, I guess it is not surprising. People like to believe that the world is an ordered place, so when confronted by something outside of it, this causes them great anxiety. When this occurs they tend to lash out so they can normalize the situation. This is where the "blame the victim" comes into play, the person looks for something "she shouldn't have been at that place" or whatever in order to convince themselves why this couldn't have happened to them.

You can see this with how upset everyone is with Kobayashi. Rather than just accept that he is a boy that everyone thought was a girl because of his looks, and has since developed a perverse enjoyment in messing with people by acting MORE like a girl than even a girl can do (but remaining a man) so that even men get screwed up remembering that he is not a girl. That steps on so many landmines for most people its little wonder they hate him.

I am very curious whether 1 and 3 are going to be dealt with in this series. That would be so messed up that I shudder in eager anticipation.

so am i a little like the characters considering i am like the people you mentioned, yet have the opposite reaction(love kobayashi and will keep watching the anime)?

or maybe is it because i just love psychology in general and this new kind of "Minds" interest me?
Jul 12, 2015 8:27 PM

Jul 2008
CookingPriest said:
Another great episode. It seems they will follow the Sherlock model in having "episodic" arcs focusing on Kobayashi and Akechi solving various cases, each story based on Ranpo's books. Color me interested.

I do like that they are going with the whole "mind of a killer" thing which used in A.Christie's works, namely
. Sure it is also used as premise in current modern take on Sherlock, which makes that show's ties with this work even more apparent. The moment where Kobayashi genuinely thanked the killer for entertainment was such Sherlock moment.

5/5 yet again.

I picked up on the "Sherlock" similarities in Kobayashi's personality in the first episode. I didn't see anyone else mention that until now for some reason. I've seen people all over the place saying Kobayashi's... er... eccentric-ness... wasn't believable and ruined it for them, but I think crazy situations and extraordinary people sometimes make anime great. We just have another "high-functioning sociopath" on our hands, maybe. xD
Jul 12, 2015 9:52 PM
Oct 2012
kataklism said:
so am i a little like the characters considering i am like the people you mentioned, yet have the opposite reaction(love kobayashi and will keep watching the anime)?

I wouldn't say you need to be a little like the characters to enjoy the series, indeed I am nothing like the characters, and I enjoy it. At the same time I can understand why people may not enjoy it, but I would expect a rational reason for their not liking it. There may have been a couple, but most of the people who hate this show seem to cross rationality.

My comments are more geared towards people who have a visceral reaction to this show. There are those who obsess about Kobayashi's gender and drop it solely for that reason, or who cannot conceived that some people are twisted enough to want to be killed, or will kill for non material reasons. In short, as I said last week, I am tired of bourgeois mentality, I want this show to transcend it. So far, so good.

kataklism said:
or maybe is it because i just love psychology in general and this new kind of "Minds" interest me?

Nothing wrong with that, there are many different reason to enjoy something. And there are many reasons to dislike it. But of those who dislike it, I think my comments apply to a large percentage.
Jul 13, 2015 7:29 AM

Jun 2011
The pairs of figures having sexual intercourse in the ending tho....

Whats up with them?
Am i the only one that noticed that? oh god.
KazeTheHunterJul 13, 2015 7:49 AM
Jul 13, 2015 7:49 AM

Jul 2007
EpicSquirrel said:
CookingPriest said:
Another great episode. It seems they will follow the Sherlock model in having "episodic" arcs focusing on Kobayashi and Akechi solving various cases, each story based on Ranpo's books. Color me interested.

I do like that they are going with the whole "mind of a killer" thing which used in A.Christie's works, namely
. Sure it is also used as premise in current modern take on Sherlock, which makes that show's ties with this work even more apparent. The moment where Kobayashi genuinely thanked the killer for entertainment was such Sherlock moment.

5/5 yet again.

I picked up on the "Sherlock" similarities in Kobayashi's personality in the first episode. I didn't see anyone else mention that until now for some reason. I've seen people all over the place saying Kobayashi's... er... eccentric-ness... wasn't believable and ruined it for them, but I think crazy situations and extraordinary people sometimes make anime great. We just have another "high-functioning sociopath" on our hands, maybe. xD

And Akechi is pretty much Mycroft in that.
The question is, how long till we get "Merry Christmas" from Kobayashi.
Jul 13, 2015 7:51 AM

Jul 2013
It was incredibly bad.
1. You can't really solve the mysteries with the characters, as in the new episode, you get new information.
2. The fact that the teacher was in love with the tramp was just too strange and far-fetched.. Can't believe they solved the murder based on that
3. It wasn't really much of a game. The ending of the first episode implied there would be a challenge or something. Didn't seem like a challenge at all. Just lame.
Jul 13, 2015 8:36 AM

Jul 2007
alphaAngel said:
It was incredibly bad.
1. You can't really solve the mysteries with the characters, as in the new episode, you get new information.

All the clues were in the previous episode.

2. The fact that the teacher was in love with the tramp was just too strange and far-fetched.. Can't believe they solved the murder based on that

homophobic much?
The teacher admired beauty and Kobayashi fit the standard.

3. It wasn't really much of a game. The ending of the first episode implied there would be a challenge or something. Didn't seem like a challenge at all. Just lame.

It is not a game.

the game saying is a referenced to Sherlock Holmes phrase "the game is on" which he would use when he when something gets his interest. In his mentality the "game" was the investigation itself.

It is also reference to the title, game of laplace - P.S.Laplace created the basis for deductive reasoning via his analytical theory of probabilities, so the "game" Akechi and Kobayashi refer to is solving macabre murders(in kobayashi's case, he does it by employad Laplace's analytical theory of probabilities)
Jul 13, 2015 8:44 AM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:

Having not watched Sherlock I was curious about your reference above, so I checked it out. I have to say:

EpicSquirrel said:
I've seen people all over the place saying Kobayashi's... er... eccentric-ness... wasn't believable and ruined it for them, but I think crazy situations and extraordinary people sometimes make anime great. We just have another "high-functioning sociopath" on our hands, maybe. xD

I think we can check that box for Kobayashi. As for the people saying it "ruined it". That I think is more an excuse then a reason. They are running scared because of the potential homosexual aspect invited by Kobayashi. They can't handle it, no matter what genre or story it is (I remember the storm with Shinseikai Yori) had a period where the characters had same sex pairings (even thought it made complete sense in the story), the same things were said).

KazeTheHunter said:
The pairs of figures having sexual intercourse in the ending tho....Whats up with them?Am i the only one that noticed that? oh god.

It seems you were. Edogawa wrote children's books, he also wrote adult books. His adult books cover a great deal of eroticism, often with a grotesque aspect. As this episode revealed one such example, I think this is a warning that things are going to get worse (the ED starts with people in bondage). So strap in (pun!) and enjoy the ride, expect turbulence ahead!
Jul 13, 2015 9:20 AM

Jun 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
It seems you were. Edogawa wrote children's books, he also wrote adult books. His adult books cover a great deal of eroticism, often with a grotesque aspect. As this episode revealed one such example, I think this is a warning that things are going to get worse (the ED starts with people in bondage). So strap in (pun!) and enjoy the ride, expect turbulence ahead!

Ohhh~ i would like that!
i hope this anime will become more interesting!
I like those kind of animes, with "mysterious detective" feeling, but its a little, i dont know, weird? with a 13 years old trap boy as the main..
Jul 13, 2015 9:37 AM

Jul 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
CookingPriest said:

Having not watched Sherlock I was curious about your reference above, so I checked it out. I have to say:

It uses the similar approach to what this show seems to do as in

And it seems Ranpo Kitan is going for the same kind of approach to those characters. The only real difference between the murderers faced and Akechi/Kobayashi is the side they stand on.
Jul 13, 2015 10:05 AM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:
The teacher admired beauty and Kobayashi fit the standard.

There is also the point that Hoshino noticed, that the teacher knew that Kobayashi was a kindred spirit that understood him.

I also think people are confusing "love" with "sex". Given the course of the teacher's psychosis, I seriously doubt he ever had sex with his "loves". To do so would have defiled their bodies, it would have detracted from his pure aesthetic appreciation of their forms. He also struck me as one of those hyper-hygienic types who would have found "sex" unpleasant.

But I do think the person touched on to something in calling Kobayashi a "tramp". He is. He was obviously pimping himself when he explained his "imagination", he enjoyed it too much. He also should well know that his friend is in love with him, and he enjoyed teasing/taunting him about the "love" (the camera angles makes it clear who Kobayashi was performing for). I had said troll, but tramp also works as a proper descriptor.

But far from being a demerit, it makes Kobayashi all the more interesting. If this is the "pre-messed" up Kobayashi, imagine what a post messed up will be like.
Jul 13, 2015 10:12 AM

Jan 2013
It's on the level of recent Kindaichi series.

Well, suddenly I wanna see MPD Psycho animated, though it's never gonna happen.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 13, 2015 10:32 AM

Dec 2008
Kobayashi calmness is strange for me, it's mostly thing that bothers me in this.
Namu12Jul 13, 2015 10:39 AM
Jul 13, 2015 12:58 PM

Jul 2011
KazeTheHunter said:
The pairs of figures having sexual intercourse in the ending tho....

Whats up with them?
Am i the only one that noticed that? oh god.

don't know if you noticed, but the op has a tleast one bondage version of every character in it, even if just for a brief second, you can clearly identify them.

other guy i didn't quote and can't find the post of again: well,it shocked me too to find that kobayashi is a guuy, especially with those curves, but it bafles me seeing people dropping the anime because of that , it's lik "nnnggh i wanted him to be my waifu but he's male, shitshitshit i have to drop this instantly" i just don't understand these people.
Jul 13, 2015 2:45 PM

Aug 2014
"impressed by Kobayashi's deductive skills"

Skills??? Asspulls. So boring, very little work went into solving anything. This is awful. That ED is great. That's about it. The autopsy was kinda funny...... as a "Otaku Vine", really bad for the show. Gonna drop this one.

Edogaw is probably rolling in his grave for this gimmicky disgrace. Or maybe fujoshi bait is his thing. idk.....
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jul 13, 2015 4:56 PM
Jan 2009
Episodes like these just prove that anime is a significantly awful medium when it comes to mysteries. You just can't set up a case like this, offer no clues or information to the audience, and then have a character randomly pull out every detail in a single scene.

On top of this we knew nothing about the murderer, victim, or really any of the suspects etc. You can say "but TV shows do this in like 44 minutes all the time." But they do a much better job too, even if they don't hit all the points that should be in a mystery they offer information to the audience, things are solved slowly through investigation (that doesn't happen O.S.), and such.
Jul 13, 2015 5:09 PM
Oct 2012
Chrono1219 said:
Episodes like these just prove that anime is a significantly awful medium when it comes to mysteries.

Detective Conan does a very good job at it.

Chrono1219 said:
You just can't set up a case like this, offer no clues or information to the audience, and then have a character randomly pull out every detail in a single scene.

There were clues, in fact it could have been solved the first episode. We knew that the murderer was framing Kobayashi, that the murderer wanted to send a message by the arrangement, that obviously the murderer knew a lot about the school, and that the murderer was an amateur (as Akechi pointed out this episode, but was also clear last episode, they made the framing too obvious).

So the murderer was either a teacher or a student, since the teacher was too obvious, it had to be a student, and there was only one student it could have been (since this was the only one Kobayashi looked at).

Chrono1219 said:
On top of this we knew nothing about the murderer, victim, or really any of the suspects etc. You can say "but TV shows do this in like 44 minutes all the time."

This show had to introduce the characters, the world, the style of the show, slip in hints, show that it wasn't just a mystery, all in 44 minutes. That is pretty good. Most "mystery shows" can't do that all in 44 minutes. Once the characters are established they can, but not at the beginning.

Ultimately though you are focusing too much on the "mystery" aspect. The mystery is an element to the show, it serves to allow us to watch Kobayashi meet even more perverse people, it is not the end. What will make this show win or lose is how over the top they can take things. Yes there will be lots of tricks, misdirections, crimes and murders, but ultimately they are side show exhibits to the real freak show.
Jul 13, 2015 5:29 PM

Jul 2009
Uh ... what the heck was this episode O_O Minami part was ... interesting. How they "showed" what happened was good but ... the teacher was in love with Kobayashi and his girlfriend was another student ... who killed him because he didn't love her anymore and didn't want to turn her into his chair ... what the heck?! D: This is just ridiculous lol. Not to mention how the heck they figured it out ... I mean the whole being in love thing came completely out of the blue >_< Uh then the other girl had never been introduced either, I was thinking it would be the substitute teacher since at least she had a name ... yeah, my reaction was the same as hers :S
I guess he "passed" Akechi's test at least ... so now he gets a key to his place? Or something ... uhm, OK then o_O Maybe this show is being satirical?! Or something?! I mean it can't be serious right ... OTL
Also I noticed that when it was only Hashiba in the classroom the other students were shown animated normally, but with Kobayashi they're greyed out until they come into contact with him it seems ... maybe that's how he views them or something? :O
Anyway I guess this show will continue to be as weird/wacky as it is ... I'm just staying for the mysteries people. Maybe the other parts will grow on me but ... who knows? Lol XD
Jul 13, 2015 5:37 PM
Oct 2012
EvianBubble said:
I guess he "passed" Akechi's test at least

Yes, when Kobayashi punked Akechi about the chair in the classroom, that was the final exam. Even Akechi hadn't figured that out.

EvianBubble said:
so now he gets a key to his place? Or something

Key to the place. In the original series Kobayashi is Akech's ward, he lives with Akechi and his wife. So that he would get a key was never in doubt.

EvianBubble said:
... uhm, OK then o_O Maybe this show is being satirical?! Or something?! I mean it can't be serious right

Part homage, part parody, part just having a campy gay old time (in the Flintstones meaning). This is meant to be as twisted as twisted can be though. Edogawa would have approved.

EvianBubble said:
.Also I noticed that when it was only Hashiba in the classroom the other students were shown animated normally, but with Kobayashi they're greyed out until they come into contact with him it seems ... maybe that's how he views them or something?

Yep, he only notices people when they show they are not normal. He had gone to school with the murderer for 6 years and had never once noticed her. He only noticed when he figured out she was probably the one who butchered the teacher (and he approved).
Jul 13, 2015 6:56 PM

Jul 2010
When i watch mystery anime i want my mysteries to take some time to solve, i want more information to be gathered, i want to try to come out with some theory myself, but here everything at once was just thrown at me by Kobayashi (who's sick in the head btw).Not saying this is absolutely bad or anything, because i was entertained most time, but...nothing more.Nothing special or something that keeps me wanting to watch more : c
Also the part about teacher being ''in love'' with Kobayashi didn't bother me because well, this is supposed to be an anime about sick cases after all.Whats truly bothering me tho is that megane-kun blushing all the time and being annoying like character from some C-class shoujo manga.Can't stand him.
incompleteAEGISJul 13, 2015 7:05 PM
Jul 13, 2015 7:27 PM

May 2013
Imo if Kobayashi was a girl, i would definitely root the romance between him and Hashiba. Welp, episode feels weird tho.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 13, 2015 7:31 PM
Oct 2012
SweetCoconut said:
Imo if Kobayashi was a girl, i would definitely root the romance between him and Hashiba. Welp, episode feels weird tho.

There is the distinct possibility that Kobayashi only thinks he is a boy, but I really hope this animation does not go there. That would be too bourgeois.
Jul 14, 2015 12:03 AM

Jul 2014
Ok. I loved this way more than I thought I would. This series has a very "Sherlock"-y feeling. I like it. It's detailed (even if people say there was nothing given away), it's twisted, it's weird. I loved it. I wonder how much more twisted it will become.
It fell a bit flat here at the end, but that's because I was expecting this mystery to stretch and complicate itself for the whole season. But I'm not complaining.

I had to watch it twice, to notice details I missed. There are a couple of things that piqued my interest. So... (I'll put some images in the spoilers).
1. The new teacher:

It was clearly shown that she has scars on her wrists. I guess, that's why Kobayashi noticed her in the first place. I wonder if something happened to her, or she tried to kill herself (I would bet on the latter). After the teacher hugs him, Kobayashi smells his clothes/arms and there's this dialogue:

Random student: "Our new teacher is strange, isn't she?"
Hashiba: "Yeah. But I'm glad that she seems to be nice."
Kobayashi: "Yeah. She must be trying hard to overcome the pressure she's feeling."

I have a feeling he is saying that not because of the murder, but because of those scars. I wonder if we'll se more about that.

2. The murderer:

When the teacher shows that cellphone that was supposed to belong to the murdered teacher, we see that eye reacting, the pupil constricting (sign of distress), and looking around. The cellphone was planted to elicit someone's reaction. And we get it. Now, the problem is that the eye that reacted is brown, while our murderer has another eye color. And now I wonder: is she the real killer or is she covering for someone?...
Maybe this case is not over yet.
AdellaedaJul 14, 2015 12:07 AM
Jul 14, 2015 1:16 AM

Aug 2014
alphaAngel said:
It was incredibly bad.

Exactly my thoughts.. I'm out of that little fujobait.
Jul 14, 2015 5:42 AM

Jun 2009
Adellaeda said:
I wonder how much more twisted it will become.

Maybe I am just too used to the genre, but so far this anime is not that largely twisted nor excedingly weird in my humble opinion. The case was slightly more to the brutal side, but nothing that hasn't been done in both Western and Japanese mysteries.
The motive was rather mundane, with a typical murder of passion.

Now, the problem is that the eye that reacted is brown, while our murderer has another eye color. And now I wonder: is she the real killer or is she covering for someone?...

I wouldn't mind for the case to turn more complicated, but considering that we are getting a completely new case next episode it would have to be later in the series.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jul 14, 2015 6:38 AM

Jun 2011
Adellaeda said:

2. The murderer:

When the teacher shows that cellphone that was supposed to belong to the murdered teacher, we see that eye reacting, the pupil constricting (sign of distress), and looking around. The cellphone was planted to elicit someone's reaction. And we get it. Now, the problem is that the eye that reacted is brown, while our murderer has another eye color. And now I wonder: is she the real killer or is she covering for someone?...

hmm.. i can think of two options for this,
1. animation mistake? i mean, they made the eye look real, and the killer's eye color is purple/turquoise, and i dont think those colors match real eyes color so they just chose the most normal eye color to make it look humen.
2.it can be Kobayashi's eye. the only one with similar eye color to the one in the picture is Kobayashi's eye color so maybe he was hiding there and watching? but i dont think so..
i think that the animators didnt really care about the eye color, they just wanted to show that someone was really disturbed by the cellphone..
but who knows..
Jul 14, 2015 6:50 AM

Jul 2014
seizonsha said:
Maybe I am just too used to the genre, but so far this anime is not that largely twisted nor excedingly weird in my humble opinion.

Well, I'm not. But still, I wasn't talking about the crime (I've seen that in Psycho-Pass and I've seen worse in one of the Hannibal movies). I was talking about Kobayashi's twisted mind. That's why I said that the series is "Sherlock"'-ish with the whole "good guy likes gruesome stuff" thing. It's not that they like murder or seeing people suffer, but rather they like to be involved in the most shocking cases and solving them. In BBC's Sherlock, is not only Sherlock who is not right in the head. I remember Mycroft saying to Watson something along the lines of "You're not traumatized by war, you miss it." We can see that in House M.D. as well. The weirder the case, the more they like it. That doesn't mean that they are going to hurt someone. Is this aspect that I like about the series.

seizonsha said:
I wouldn't mind for the case to turn more complicated, but considering that we are getting a completely new case next episode it would have to be later in the series.

I guess I watched a release that didn't have a PV...

Another thing that I noticed is that the butterfly motif is... well... everywhere. It's in the OP, it's in the ED and the first episode even starts with one. I know that butterfly means transformation/change and I bet it's about Kobayashi. I just really hope he's not gonna become a killer himself. He can dance on the line, but don't he dare cross over!

KazeTheHunter said:

1. animation mistake?

I really hope not. They put effort on some details, I don't think they would slip one that big.

KazeTheHunter said:

2.it can be Kobayashi's eye. the only one with similar eye color to the one in the picture is Kobayashi's eye color so maybe he was hiding there and watching? but i dont think so..

I noticed too that Kobayashi has pretty much the same eye color. But I think he was arrested at that time.
AdellaedaJul 14, 2015 6:54 AM
Jul 14, 2015 7:34 AM

May 2011
Sukebe14 said:
WTF just watched. Even in anime I never saw such happy reactions to grisly murder, not to mention such ridiculuos thing that victims wanted to be killed and turned into chairs

THIS.
Jul 14, 2015 7:48 AM

Jan 2013
selgalad said:
Sukebe14 said:
WTF just watched. Even in anime I never saw such happy reactions to grisly murder, not to mention such ridiculuos thing that victims wanted to be killed and turned into chairs

THIS.

Then both of you need to read mystery genre (novel, manga, whatever). The elements in this episode was really tame.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 14, 2015 8:11 AM

Dec 2014
Well, that wasn't too impressive.

seizonsha said:
Adellaeda said:
I wonder how much more twisted it will become.

Maybe I am just too used to the genre, but so far this anime is not that largely twisted nor excedingly weird in my humble opinion. The case was slightly more to the brutal side, but nothing that hasn't been done in both Western and Japanese mysteries.
The motive was rather mundane, with a typical murder of passion.

Yeah, I agree.
Jul 14, 2015 10:15 AM

Jan 2011
MadLane said:
loving this one so far, really impressed by Kobayashi's deductive skills

Uhhh what? There are no deductive skills. This was just the character spewing conjecture which will turn up true with absolutely no leg work shown to reach the conclusion.

I'm dropping this. MC reactions to everything are frustratingly awful. Rest of the cast is terrible. If this is the quality of the mystery or cases of this show then I won't be missing anything.

There isn't even a reason to watch it for shock value because there is none. I personally find it drab, boring, and trying too hard to be "weird" ie nothing is organic.

Plus I can't take (again) how hard they are trying to push MC as a male while playing the trap card just as hard. Did I mention how annoying the "try hard" quality of this show is. Not for me.
IZEROIIJul 14, 2015 10:21 AM
Jul 14, 2015 10:54 AM
Oct 2012
Adellaeda said:
I noticed too that Kobayashi has pretty much the same eye color. But I think he was arrested at that time.

He was. So either it was a mistake, or someone else in the class room was interested as well and this was a bit of foreshadowing. I have a feeling that this will be the case. We know teacher will have something to do with the plot, so there will be another story at the school.

IZEROII said:
Plus I can't take (again) how hard they are trying to push MC as a male while playing the trap card just as hard. Did I mention how annoying the "try hard" quality of this show is. Not for me.

They are not trying at all to push the MC as male. And no, the MC isn't a trap. Indeed it is the reverse on both, a trap is a man pretending to be a woman, Kobayashi is not pretending to be a woman; "they" are not trying to "push" the MC as a male. The other characters are the one's getting confused and Kobayashi is reminding them that he is male.

So there are two possibilities here: 1) is that Kobayashi is actually a girl, but wants to be guy (maybe because he always wanted to be a detective), or (and I hope this is the case since it would be more fun): Kobayashi enjoys confusing people, he has been called a "girl" so many times on account of his looks, that he has decided to play it up to the hilt.

But in neither case are the writers doing what you suggested.
Jul 14, 2015 4:05 PM

Dec 2010
This setting is just way too fucked up, the pedophilia, the mindset of a 14-year old girl killing her teacher in an elaborate manner, the mindset of a 13-year old boy enjoying the case.

Vanisher said:
Stark700 said:

This scene almost made me drop the anime, it was so fucking terrible. Also the teacher jumping thing was terrible as well. Fuck comedy.
Jul 15, 2015 12:49 AM

Jul 2011
Meritas said:
This setting is just way too fucked up, the pedophilia, the mindset of a 14-year old girl killing her teacher in an elaborate manner, the mindset of a 13-year old boy enjoying the case.

it wasn't really elaborate... she just knocked out a guy and then killed the teacher, proceeded to arrange hi body parts and there, that was all, the trickiest part was probably the fingerprints one, and she still did a lalckluster job at that.
Jul 15, 2015 5:55 AM

Jun 2008
I like Kobayashi. I think he's an interesting character.

Also, Hashiba just confess already.
Jul 15, 2015 12:59 PM

Jul 2007
Just realized the meaning behind some of OP's visuals. Like how Kobayashi's "bondage silhouette" is that of a fox

Which is INCREDIBLY fitting for Kobayashi, as the animal is interpreted as both a wise guide and a mischevious trickster.

Akechi is looking at his hands with a barely visibel visuals of shackles

Possibly symbolizing some sort of past regret or guilt he feels.

Kagami's bondage gear reminds of a knight armor:

Hashiba's focuses on a crazy eye, possibly hinting emotional instability?

Nakamura has the gas mask which represents fear
Jul 15, 2015 1:35 PM

Mar 2008
this show can be summarized with two quotes:
- KININARIMASU!
- da ga, otoko da

although those two are incomparably better than this...
Jul 15, 2015 2:06 PM

Jul 2011
CookingPriest said:
Just realized the meaning behind some of OP's visuals. Like how Kobayashi's "bondage silhouette" is that of a fox

what about the medic?
Jul 15, 2015 2:54 PM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:

Nice work, and of course in Japan the fox, together with the Tanuki, is a shape shifter that can change its gender at will.
Jul 15, 2015 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
Watching this episode, I had the feeling that the case solving was kinda rushed. I expected this episode to be different and to develop into the teacher psychology. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next episode, judging a show having watched only the first episodes of it really sounds dumb to me

EDIT: I've said "episode" quite a few times, huh
Jul 15, 2015 4:07 PM

Jan 2013
It looks like some people think gay is automatically a fujoshi thing, but it is the other way in this case. About recent shows containing fujoshi bait material, there are Gangsta and Kekkai Sensen. The cute "boy" in this show is obviously made for male audience.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 16, 2015 12:31 AM

May 2014
Vanisher said:
Stark700 said:

This scene almost made me drop the anime, it was so fucking terrible. Also the teacher jumping thing was terrible as well. Fuck comedy.

It was alright outside of that.
Vanisher said:
Stark700 said:

It was made to show how insane the characters and the show are. All of these people who are involved in the murders (the MC, the detective etc.) are mentally ill in some way. This scene is an artistic and humorous way to show just how insane all of them are.
Jul 16, 2015 1:00 AM

Jul 2007
Sterlynx said:
Vanisher said:

Vanisher said:

It was made to show how insane the characters and the show are. All of these people who are involved in the murders (the MC, the detective etc.) are mentally ill in some way. This scene is an artistic and humorous way to show just how insane all of them are.

The way I see it, it was more of how Kobayashi perceived the report information. Because obviously he would have guessed some of those details already, he made it "more fun".

I would not be surprised if at some point we actually meet the actual Minami and she acts nothing like that.
Jul 16, 2015 5:28 AM

Dec 2012
The resolution of the investigation was weird. I normally like the animes where you can resolve the investigation by yourself, here it was impossible. I hope this was just for introduce Kobayashi in the investigation team.
I like the MC, he is different than most protagonist.
The comedy doesn't fit with the episode, imo.
SakaitsuJul 16, 2015 5:41 AM
Jul 16, 2015 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
So many psychos around, the examiner was weird and the teacher in the end was hilarious. It did feel like it was solved too quickly.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

70 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takuan_Soho - Jul 30, 2015

235 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

137 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

206 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.