Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2015 11:02 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a GREAT ending. The whole battle was so one-sided, makes you wonder why they never sent those mechabeasts earlier haha. I guess Mazinger did have a disadvantage due to being damaged, but those corrosive scales would still harm Mazinger even at 100%. Guess now it's time to continue the story with Great Mazinger. A shame it's not completely subbed, not even HK-subs.

Overall, pleasantly surprised with the show and I'm so glad I sat down to watch it. For a first show in its genre, it really had great ideas and managed to surprise me quite often. Sometimes it felt like it wasn't even the first in its genre, since it was so creative with some episodes' plot. I'd say that the only weak part was somewhere around the second quarter. It was getting stale for a bit until Jet Scrander. Once they made the second base near Japan, the show became so much intense, with each side trying harder and harder, with great losses on both sides that made them fight recklessly.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 18, 2015 8:33 PM

Jun 2010
A really straightforward "strength escalator"; the new enemy robots wreck Mazinger Z easily and then Great Mazinger wrecks them just as easily and we even get a cheesy line about how New Super Alloy is so great.

It spends the rest of the episode disposing of the original cast. With both the villains and heroes gone, with the exception of Gorgon, there doesn't seem to be much real connection between this series and the one that follows it.
Aug 17, 2016 7:21 PM

Jul 2010
I really enjoyed this show for the most part, since it was very episodic the quality in each episode varied but most of them were good with a few meh/boring ones but not one I outright disliked which is great. Really liked the cast of characters too and I'm honestly surprised how I didn't hate Shiro, kids tend to annoy me in anime and even more so in older anime but I thought he was fine so good job on that.

I also got hyped as fuck when Great Mazinger appeared and I just saw it in action for the first time and I dig the pilot of it, Tetsuya, seems to have a cool and calm personality which is complete opposite of Kouji but that's just my first impression of him, may be wrong when eventually going into Great Mazinger. Again too bad it's not fully subbed yet as of me writing this.

And I had a feeling their father was still alive, I mean all this talk about their grandfather and mother but like barely any talk about the father? suspicious. Well all in all it was enjoyable and will have to give it a 8/10 mostly because of the so-so episodes there were of this 92 episodes long show. Now onto even more Mazinger.
Oct 3, 2016 1:50 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Bye, bye MAZINGER Z!!!!??? ;_ ;

Bye, bye Gratonios!!!
Bye, bye Biranias!!!

Wellcome new Villains, new heroes, and Great Mazinger....> i see you in the next season, Great Mazinger!!!!!

Series for me are 7/10, the repetitive plot of the episodes are very tired xD
Jun 19, 2017 6:48 AM

Nov 2012
This turned out alright for a MoTW show.

Being episodic the series' quality definitely varied throughout.Most of the episodes were either just boring or passably good/watchable imo,but by the end of the series it had atleast about a handful of episodes that were actually decent or good which made this worth watching in the end.

6.5/10.
Dec 30, 2018 2:36 PM

Jan 2014
i have this small desire to see shiro grow up and make something out of himelf. dont want him to just simply be a support character.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Aug 25, 2019 4:33 AM
May 2019
VanishingKira said:
This turned out alright for a MoTW show.

Being episodic the series' quality definitely varied throughout.Most of the episodes were either just boring or passably good/watchable imo,but by the end of the series it had atleast about a handful of episodes that were actually decent or good which made this worth watching in the end.

6.5/10.

kira pls, twas made in '72
if you were teenager then,you'd be jumping for joy for what you've seen ! cmon..
and other people, pls stop comparing it to anything later, this is 1972s miracle <3
best anime in the world in that moment ^^
Jul 7, 2020 4:06 AM

Jul 2007
Wow I did not expect that ending. After mazinger Z and his allies completely get decimated by these new battle beasts, just out of no where great mazinger arrives with a new pilot and the father of Koji and shiro end up being alive. A great transitional moment into the next series “great mazinger” which I will be watching next. Loved the stark contrast between koji and this new character arch type. If that would have been Koji, he would have started some kind of heated argument and you see how the author chose to subtlly showcase that this is not the same character. This was also Go nagai that wrote this piece and it was beaituflly executed.

Ok well over all when it comes to monster of the week 70's mech series, this is pretty much about as simplistic and bare bones as you can possibly get both in characterization, stories, and animation. It had its somewhat great moments and I think what kept me invested was seeing Baron ashura and his many antics and conquests to try and take down mazinger.(But certainly not as great as "Berge Katse" from Gatchamon. ) Loved the episodes showcasing the many mazinger upgrades as well and some of the stories were inventive and quite interesting in early parts of the series. It then built up steam quite a bit around the mid portion of the show and things started to gradually become more intense how ever it lost alot of steam around the last 1/3 of the series which i felt that i just wanted things to move on to the final episodes already. The final battle against Dr Hell was also a bit lacking. It felt kind of like just your oridinary battle episode a regular foe and i expected more out of Dr. Hell. How ever it was completly redeemed by the very last episode which was a big shocker and elevated the story and budget above the standards of this series.

The beginning of the series helped set the foundation of what was to follow and helped establish the characters very well and it felt fresh with each episode offering new and unique ways for Dr hell and his minions to win against the good guys. However, I feel what ultimately ruined my experience was as the series went on, many of the stories and idea’s the writers threw in felt very nonsensical and rehashed to many times. To the point where it felt that mazinger kind of suffered from an identity crisis and the writers even forgot what the initial character motivations were, especially on the antagonistic side.

For example, in the premise of the story Dr hell’s main goal was always to conquer the world. World domination was his ultimate goal and many of the MECH beasts that were deployed did just that, started blowing up cities and creating massive destruction in its wake but the writers of this series sort of shoehorned in the the idea that Dr hell and his minions are trying to take over and infiltrate the photon light institute and there where many episodes where he also wanted to destroy the photon light institute. So, you get this constant sudden change of character motivations and goals for the main villain and it just felt a bit strange to see that. It got the point where the writers relied to heavly on the concept of "lets take over that photon light institute because that is our primary objective". Some of these moments were treated in like a comedic fashion and it was silly and just outlandash at times.

The series had some decent moments but lacked consistency and especially when compared to something like Gatchamon which aired even before mazinger, was quite a great deal a much better series with greater characterization, larger world with bigger set pieces, greater story arcs, etc. In Mazinger it is mentioned quite frequently that some how these characters are going to school, but we do not even see them attend school except for maybe a few episodes. I realize the series is targeted towards japanese children and needs to mainstain that thematic element of mechs and fights but the world could have been fleshed out a tiny bit more to showcase some other locations in the mazinger verse instead of just consisting of the battle ground locations. Overall, I would give this probably a 7/10. The ending really caught me by surprise and im hoping great mazinger is quite a bit improved over this classic series but will see. With all that being said, it can’t be overstated just how influential and important this series is to pioneering the mecha genre with many of the common themes and tropes you will see in many shows to follow. It certainly left behind a great legacy for mecha and that is something I will never forget.
ArtimesGamerJul 7, 2020 4:47 AM

May 7, 2021 1:05 PM

Aug 2008
Usually when a beast appears, it regularly destroys a plane or a ship. Let's hope for Kouji that it'll go destroy a ship and not the plane he is currently flying. :)
May 14, 2023 1:31 AM

Dec 2015
This show was already too long, and instead of providing a proper ending to the series, this episode basically advertises a sequel...
Mazinga Z was kinda entertaining for a while despite Kabuto being an idiot. I especially liked how the creators always pulled new tricks to make the episodes thrilling.
But especially in the 2nd half, I started to feel dizzy and even fall asleep while watching the episodes at an increasing rate. This also has its merits, because watching 1-2 Mazinga Z episodes right before going to bed turned out to be a great help for getting a very well good night sleep.

"Disliked it" for this cliffhanger episode, and 4/10 for the series.

But I may continue with Great Mazinger if I have trouble falling asleep.

/edit and for anyone saying that this was "best anime in the world in that moment": I think Mazinga Z is by far inferior to Ashita no Joe (1970/71), which was not only great for its time, but still is (and always will be I think). So even in the early 70ties, they could make series that were not only great in the moment, but beyond that. Consequently, I think a low rating is justified, even considering the "moment".
EstefanMay 15, 2023 7:45 AM
Feb 25, 7:32 AM
Dec 2023
Mazinger Z is dead, long live Great Mazinger. In all honesty tho they could've leave all that for the new show itself, instead of ridiculing Mazinger Z right at the end. At least coud've let him destroy one last enemy

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 2 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 3, 2015

10 by Slorglord »»
Mar 2, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 91 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 18, 2015

6 by Leongolleyn »»
Feb 25, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 90 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 18, 2015

5 by Leongolleyn »»
Feb 25, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 78 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 14, 2015

5 by Leongolleyn »»
Feb 21, 6:09 AM

Poll: » Mazinger Z Episode 77 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 13, 2015

5 by Leongolleyn »»
Feb 21, 2:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.